http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 11:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac now runs WinXP?  (Read 1846 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

So here's something I'd love all you Mac users to try out - According to Apple's homepage today, you can now legally install and run WindowsXP on your Intel-based Mac computer.

My only real question is this - how well does this run (for games)? And does Microsoft have drivers to run everything properly?

Apple does make a nice computer. Always debated on getting one, but the lack of support (like gaming) was always a turnoff. Hell - I run a couple of little programs to emulate a Mac on my laptop as it is, as it's not as clunky as the standard WinXP environment.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »

this makes me wana get a mac even more slywink
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »

Now if only Apple would let me run OSX on my PC.

Quote from: "Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing"
Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple’s superior hardware now that we use Intel processors
:wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 07:07:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry about running OS X too much longer.  Apple will probably be dropping support on it soon.

Who knows?  Maybe they will just shovel the responsibility for it onto the open source community.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:21:21 PM »

I'd say gaming would be limited on the current Macs because of the hardware availible. The iMacs and Minis don't have really "gaming" video chips in them. Maybe when the desktop line moves to the Core Duo CPU's and you can get a good ATI card then it would be a viable option.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »

PhotoShop is the best Mac game EVAR!!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I'd say gaming would be limited on the current Macs because of the hardware availible. The iMacs and Minis don't have really "gaming" video chips in them. Maybe when the desktop line moves to the Core Duo CPU's and you can get a good ATI card then it would be a viable option.

I was looking up the latest and greatest Mac Powerbook, and it said it had an ATI X1900 card in it and a dual core processor. At last check, that was nothing to sneeze at.

Or is that what you mean - the desktop systems suck compared to the laptop (which is what I'd get anyway) models...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 09:01:09 PM »

From what I understand, only the Macs with Intel Processors are able to run BOOT CAMP. In other words, that's the Mac Minis, iMacs, and MacBook Pros.

iBook, PowerBook, and G5's, on the other hand, are crap out of luck.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
From what I understand, only the Macs with Intel Processors are able to run BOOT CAMP. In other words, that's the Mac Minis, iMacs, and MacBook Pros.

iBook, PowerBook, and G5's, on the other hand, are crap out of luck.

MacBook, Mac PowerBook, whatever. See, I'm so out of the times when it comes to Apple products. biggrin

The MacBook Pro is a nice looking laptop (so used to typing in PC here) IMHO.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 03:20:29 AM »

The iMac and MacBook Pro have ATI Radeon X1600 cards
the Mac Mini has an Intel GMA950 graphics processor
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 03:37:39 AM »

The mini's GPU blows.  It's a great little machine otherwise, but it's not made for games.  I've played WoW on mine some, and while you can do it, it's not pretty.

The MacBook, on the other hand, flies.  I've seen it running Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft and a high def movie trailer all at once, on dual displays, and getting 40+fps on both games.  It is a hell of a nice laptop.  If the iMac has the same GPU it ought to be a good game machine too.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 05:45:11 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6v6knSCXMQM

HL2 on a 20 inch iMac.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 11:43:28 PM »

I remember the predictions years ago that Apple would just become another PC vendor.

Well...
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 11:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I remember the predictions years ago that Apple would just become another PC vendor.

Well...

Hah!  well, as a current Mac user who was a diehard PC user for years, I'm willing to bet that this is going to bring more converts over to the software side of things as well.

I'm very happy about this.  I'm much more happy about buying one computer for all of my needs that I can game on too.  My current PC is nothing more than a gaming box (and it hasn't been doing well in that dept for a while now) and web design testing rig.  I just couldn't see myself buying a gaming PC when I need a good powerhouse design rig much more.  Now I can have both biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 12:00:13 AM »

What I'm imagining is that Apple will begin making more and more of their programming focus on Windows, until eventually OS X will be phased out entirely (or just dumped onto the Open Source community).

It's actually pretty amazing, because historically Apple has been horribly monopolistic, even to the point of harming their own long-term profitability.

So from a pure business perspective, this is a fantastic move for them.  They can now start selling even more hardware to people who would never have otherwise purchased Apple equipment, and at the same time it will make their own users happy since they will not have to maintain separate hardware.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 12:04:48 AM »

I sincerely doubt that Apple will EVER create software for windows.    I see this more as a clever marketing ploy to bring on more switchers.  They have systematically torn down every excuse any widows user has had in regards to getting a mac (too expensive- mac mini, won't run windows software- boot camp)

Mike Dunn
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 01:35:06 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
I sincerely doubt that Apple will EVER create software for windows.

Like QuickTime or iTunes?  Unless you just meant GOOD software, in which case you are correct.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 01:50:39 AM »

Heh.  got me there.  iTunes and Quicktime work much better on the Mac, btw. biggrin

Mike Dunn
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »

I seriously doubt this is a precursor to the end of OS X. No one is going to buy Apple's um.. premium hardware just to run plain old windows. I doubt most Mac users will even use the feature (nonwithstanding the fact that most Mac users have PPC based Macs, of course). I think all Apple is doing here is making the Mac a more attractive choice for those people on the fence (and those who have a few applications that don't exist in Macland). OS X IS the Mac experience - if Apple loses that, then they have nothing.

See my list of games I have and want.
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 12:40:49 AM »

I wouldn't count out the power of being trendy and better aesthetics.  If someone doesn't know computers, is a label whore, and has an iPod, maybe they will just go with an Apple and get Windows because that is what they know and use at work.

Plus, now that Windows can run on an Apple, you can actually have a secure system.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 01:40:02 AM »

I'm planning on getting one. While I do run both platforms at home, I want this as my main travelling machine for Windows development, Outlook and gaming. Why  a Mac then, to satisfy three Windows-based requirements?

- looks good (yes, high priority for some!)
- x1600 with 256 megs
- DVI out, which is almost impossible to find for god knows what reason
- good build quality
- ~15" widescreen with a nice resolution (not too high, not too low)
- doesn't weigh a ton

Find me a non-Mac laptop that satisfies all those and I'll be just as keen, although the option to Mac boot for browser testing and the odd Mac-only app is also nice.
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 02:22:19 AM »

About the only reason I could see for wanting a Mac is playing Sketch Fighter
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 05:28:54 AM »

Apple Laptop + 15" monitor = Teh Suck.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag: