http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M$ to offer Office 2010 Online....For free!  (Read 832 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/13/microsoft-office-to-go-online-for-free/

!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:00:17 AM »

I found the portion of the article where the author ponders the wisdom of the strategy and then answers his own question, to be the most interesting:

And that’s what makes this bold move to the web either the dumbest thing the company has ever done, or a stroke of genius. If Microsoft gets this wrong, it will cannibalize its own Office business, and investors will howl. If it gets this right, Microsoft will crush Google, Zoho, and all the other rivals who are nibbling away at Office’s dominance.

My hunch is that this is a stroke of genius from Microsoft. Why? Earlier this year when I talked to Chris Capossela, the executive who manages Office, he had clearly thought hard about how to do this right

Capossela told me that Microsoft has studied it closely, and Office Web Applications, the free, ad-supported version of Word, Excel and PowerPoint, will probably appeal to tightwads who weren’t going to buy a copy of Office anyway. This way, rather than force those folks into Google’s arms, Microsoft can hook them into its online world and tempt them with its latest technology.

I agree with the author that this is likely a stroke of genius by MS. For (1) the brand recognition for MS Office is extremely strong and (2) the enticements/benefits to buy full product are quite good. I also agree this will draw the users in that had no intention of buying. In the worst case scenario for MS, this will probably be the final nail in the competition's coffin.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:41:38 AM »

Well Open Office is already free and has been for quite some time.  Sorry M$-you lost me a long time ago.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:16 AM »

can't wait to try this out.  perhaps I can finally lay my Office 2003 copy to rest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:05:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 14, 2009, 01:52:16 AM

can't wait to try this out.  perhaps I can finally lay my Office 2003 copy to rest.

Me too.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:40:25 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on July 14, 2009, 02:05:31 AM

Me too.

+1. Except Office 2002.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on July 14, 2009, 02:05:31 AM

Me too.

Me three. No reason to upgrade over the years (as I only used Word). What do the newer versions offer other than look prettier and spellcheck faster?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out how you use these free online productivity apps when you are on a plane with no Internet access or somewhere similar.  I guess I am not the intended audience as my company would buy the real version that I could travel around with.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

I've used MS Outlook as my email reader since the beginning of email, so it looks like I'll need to consider buying the full program, too. I'd lose huge, well-organized message archives if I migrated to web mail.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 14, 2009, 02:22:49 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you use these free online productivity apps when you are on a plane with no Internet access or somewhere similar.  I guess I am not the intended audience as my company would buy the real version that I could travel around with.

Yup...and that's one way users who previously had no intention of buying -unlike you and your company-  are compelled to fork out their $. Get someone online with your product, get them to like it, get them to desire it when they're disconnected. It's a genius marketing ploy by MS marketing, but it's also evil genius. I'd personally love to see all the 3rd party office suite competition flourish, but they're upward battle for market share probably just got a little steeper.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

Those situations are becoming more and more rare.  Heck even on some flights you can get Internet if you pay.  Cloud computing is a bit forward looking - to a time when the Internet is available everywhere.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »

To be fair the office 2007 home and student deal isn't bad with the ability to install on 3 PCs. Our household has been using open office for last year or so. Whilst its very good for a free app it doesn't match office.

When if office 10 due out. I'm on the office 2007 trial at the mo so may hold off buying

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »

so now that MS is offering stuff for free, can we drop the annoying 10 year old dollar sign that makes you look 12?

I can not take anyone serious when talking about MS if they use that. The bias shows right through like a spot light piercing the night sky.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 20, 2009, 06:30:03 AM

so now that MS is offering stuff for free, can we drop the annoying 10 year old dollar sign that makes you look 12?

I can not take anyone serious when talking about MS if they use that. The bias shows right through like a spot light piercing the night sky.

Amen!

I'm always annoyed when people do stuff like that with companies they don't like, and for no particular reason. It's even more annoying when I agree with the overall sentiment of the post.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »

Obligatory Penny Arcade comic

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »

Yeah it'd never fly for corp use (connectivity issues aside - there are security risks to be considered as well) but for home use I'm pretty stoked about this.  For occasional use and a zero (or near zero) footprint on my gaming PC, this is great.  I know Google Docs is effectively the same thing, but MS Office products are worlds ahead of the Google stuff.

gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: