http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 02:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LucasArts Embargoes "Clone Wars" Reviews  (Read 3159 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »

Black Steve is looking for Lucas.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 13, 2008, 09:44:33 PM

People who have grown up on Star Wars, games and summer blockbusters no longer understand what makes for good drama.
I find that such broad, sweeping generalizations like that are always true.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 13, 2008, 11:15:09 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 13, 2008, 09:44:33 PM

People who have grown up on Star Wars, games and summer blockbusters no longer understand what makes for good drama.
I find that such broad, sweeping generalizations like that are always true.

Mine always are.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 12:01:54 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 13, 2008, 09:18:52 PM

Quote from: kadnod on August 13, 2008, 08:49:06 PM

Can hutts even be gay?  Or straight?  And now that I think about it, why would a giant wormanoid get his rocks off by putting human chicks in gold bikinis?

I'm too scared to Google "Hutt sexuality" to research this one out on my own.

/nerd hat

iirc Hutts are actually Asexual and just become female at some point to give birth, then revert back to being male.

I hope I didn't just cross some nerd line right there...

I've played the Star Wars version of Dungeons and Dragons.  I'm so far past that line, I can't even see it anymore.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 08:53:31 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 13, 2008, 08:51:42 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 08:43:57 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 13, 2008, 08:39:51 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 08:30:59 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 13, 2008, 08:28:30 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 08:18:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 13, 2008, 08:00:07 PM

By the way, I have no issues with a baby or gay Jabba, or even a gay baby Jabba.

MESA SO HAPPY YOUSA SAYING THAT!

I had no problem with him, either.

Although I did like him better when he was trying to get br'er rabbit to attack the tar baby....

Yes, George Lucas hates black people.

whoa, let's not get crazy!  George DID create Lando Calrissian and cast Billy Dee Williams (who I will refer to as "Mr. Suave" from this point forward) in the role.  I suspect George might actually have a little soul in his bloodline that enabled him to understand just how goddamn cool Mr. Suave really is...

Yes, but notice Lando was a criminal.

damn! 

lucas you racist son of a ...

I always wandered why the stormtroopers looked like klan members of the future!

Hooper: Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!
Banky Edwards: What's a Nubian?
Hooper: Shut the fuck up! Now... Vader, he's a spiritual brother, y'know, down with the force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber and the boy decides he's gonna run the fuckin' universe; gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader's hood, the Death Star. Now what the fuck do you call that?
Banky Edwards: Intergalactic civil war?
Hooper: Gentrification! They gon' drive out the black element to make the galaxy quote, unquote, safe for white folks. And Jedi's the most insulting installment! Because Vader's beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin' to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!
Banky Edwards: Well, isn't that true?
[Hooper pulls out his gun, shoots Banky]

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »

It looks like Wired drank the Lucas kool aid. The review can be summed up as to say "lighten up and enjoy the movie!"

With Friday's release of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, things have gotten a little itchier in Lucas' stiff V-neck sweater vest. Why? Because the creators of the new CG-animated movie pulled off precisely what so many snooty nerds claimed they could do. They made a better Star Wars prequel than Lucas did by returning the franchise to its true nature -- a fun, loud, fast-moving adventure for kids and escapist adults.

At the very least, it's the best kid entertainment this summer since Wall-E and a worthy (if minor) part of Stars Wars canon -- especially if it reminds people that this is all supposed to be playful sci-fi fun -- not a replacement for an advanced degree in philosophical theology.

Wired: Returns Star Wars universe to its roots of simple, fun, good-versus-evil action and suspense.

Tired: Some attempts at juvenile humor fall flat as writers waver between adult and young viewers.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »

I guess I just don't want Star Wars to be for kids. I want it to be for the generation that it originated with and grew up with it. It should follow their chronology. Let kids today have their Hannah Montana or Dora the Explorer or whatever else crap they have. STAR WARS IS MINE!
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 15, 2008, 07:42:30 PM

I guess I just don't want Star Wars to be for kids. I want it to be for the generation that it originated with and grew up with it. It should follow their chronology. Let kids today have their Hannah Montana or Dora the Explorer or whatever else crap they have. STAR WARS IS MINE!

Guess it's to late for that, they just can't pull off a movie that can be both for kids and adults. The only Star Wars part in the first movie was Duel of the Fates and even that battle was combined with the horrid actor playing Anakin. Guess I just have to face that I'll never have a true Star Wars movie anymore, the first 3 movies will just be the best and that all the other ones really don't exist.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 15, 2008, 07:42:30 PM

I, for one, think there can be room for both.  My kids both love Star Wars- ALL of it.  Mind you, I will likely mentally check out completely on this one, but I suspect it's going to be my daughter's favorite Star Wars experience.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Meh,  Lucas force jumped the shark about 2 decades ago.

morlac00 on PSN
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »

Just came back from seeing it with my kids and had a good time. I really do love the art style as they basically took the style from the Clone Wars cartoon series and put it in a 3D model environment.  No problems with baby Hutt, but I will admit that hearing a Truman Capote-eqsue gay Hutt was a bit odd.  At least he was interesting with his dayglo-colored rave makeup on.  Maybe it helps that I really love the period of the Clone Wars a great deal.  Anyway, I am not a harsh critic of movies at all and so I enjoyed it, which is all I want when I go to the movies.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 02:39:46 AM »

Did gay Hutt have a slave Anakin?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 03:18:21 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 18, 2008, 01:19:18 AM

Just came back from seeing it with my kids and had a good time. I really do love the art style as they basically took the style from the Clone Wars cartoon series and put it in a 3D model environment.  No problems with baby Hutt, but I will admit that hearing a Truman Capote-eqsue gay Hutt was a bit odd.  At least he was interesting with his dayglo-colored rave makeup on.  Maybe it helps that I really love the period of the Clone Wars a great deal.  Anyway, I am not a harsh critic of movies at all and so I enjoyed it, which is all I want when I go to the movies.

I took my son and two nephews to see this on Saturday. I agree with everything you said.  I enjoyed the movie but Zero the Hutt was way out of place. Very strange character.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 05:44:37 AM »

Yep.  Pretty much the same here.  I took my 9 year-old, my 12 year-old and my 11 year-old and four of his friends and they loved it.  Their verdict: "It rocked hard!"

I thought the gay Hutt was... bizarre and completely out of place.  Some of the music was odd and sounded Indian and I totally didn't like the art style.  Obi-wan appeared to have wood panelling for a beard.

But despite all that it was a lot of fun for the kids and I was mildly entertained.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 05:46:01 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on August 18, 2008, 03:18:21 AM

Quote from: The Grue on August 18, 2008, 01:19:18 AM

I took my son and two nephews to see this on Saturday. I agree with everything you said.  I enjoyed the movie but Zero the Hutt was way out of place. Very strange character.

+1  Saw it with my family this weekend and it was entertaining.  Certainly not great, but it delivered what I expected.  I think the reviews are far too harsh and probably just the result of the ever so trendy George Lucas bashing (of which I am sometimes guilty as well).  I knew it was basically 3 episodes of a TV show turned in to a movie and that's what it felt like.

My biggest gripe was the horrible character animation.  Everyone was stiff and it seemed like they didn't have time to finish the 'tweening work.  The robots seemed okay, but the problem is that the humans move just like them.

As for the art style, I think it works much better in a 2D medium, but it was passable in 3D.  I longed to see this movie in the style of the previous shorts.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »

I didn't get a chance to see it this weekend, and might end up waiting for it to hit TV.  some friends saw it Friday night and said I'd love the story but the animation style would drive me crazy, so it's destined for my DVR.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: