http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 10:31:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: <Brag> What's your Life's Greatest Achievement? </Brag>  (Read 1132 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

Academic? Athletic? Familial? Share the pinnacles of your life so far.  Don't be shy.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »

Probably finding a wife. That one still shocks me.    icon_eek
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

So far?

I made a video game. A bad one, but I at least I worked on it.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

A little thing I like to call The Kama Sutra.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »

inventing the question mark.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »

Surviving my last marriage.

Oh, and losing 130lbs.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »

Honestly, parenthood.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

Deciding to start a game company, calling Fantasy Flight Games, asking them for an exclusive computer game license for one of their most valuable and popular properties, and actually having them say yes. Too bad I never managed to bring the game to the market, but I'm proud of what I did nevertheless.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

Very early contributor at three separate startups that eventually sold to Microsoft, Cisco, and Symantec.  Someday I'll find my next one and try to go 4 for 4.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

Employee of the Year at my company. Considering the quality of the folks I work with, that was a really, really, REALLY high compliment, and something I took to heart.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »

My kid.

Also being on national television for a few years.

And getting out of bed this morning (I was really tired).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 07, 2013, 08:10:41 PM

Deciding to start a game company, calling Fantasy Flight Games, asking them for an exclusive computer game license for one of their most valuable and popular properties, and actually having them say yes. Too bad I never managed to bring the game to the market, but I'm proud of what I did nevertheless.

Talisman?  I was looking forward to that game and I hated when it got cancelled.  I know that some Talisman-related game will come out, but I want Talisman, not Talisman-related.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 07, 2013, 08:58:38 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 07, 2013, 08:10:41 PM

Talisman?  I was looking forward to that game and I hated when it got cancelled.  I know that some Talisman-related game will come out, but I want Talisman, not Talisman-related.

No, Descent: Journeys in the Dark.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2013, 08:57:14 PM

Also being on national television for a few years.

If you hadn't gone all William Shatner on Rocky, you might still be on the air.

I'm sure it's my kids.  From an outsiders point of view, they might look at the time I spent at Air University.  I met most of the senior leaders in the U.S. military from the President on down.  I doubt any of them remember me though.  I have some neat challenge coins.  I didn't get a presidential coin, but I got a tour of Air Force One.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »

Retiring somewhat intact and coming back home from down range.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »

I invented mauve.

Also taupe.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 07, 2013, 10:21:17 PM

I'm sure it's my kids.  From an outsiders point of view, they might look at the time I spent at Air University.  I met most of the senior leaders in the U.S. military from the President on down.  I doubt any of them remember me though.  I have some neat challenge coins.  I didn't get a presidential coin, but I got a tour of Air Force One.

Here's the one I carry.  icon_smile

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 07, 2013, 10:31:41 PM

thumbsup

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 07, 2013, 10:54:00 PM

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 07, 2013, 10:21:17 PM

Here's the one I carry.  icon_smile

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 07, 2013, 10:31:41 PM

thumbsup

Right on flyboy slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »

Google my full name and I am #1 on the list. In fact I am all over the 1st page.

Take that!!!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 07, 2013, 08:19:31 PM

Very early contributor at three separate startups that eventually sold to Microsoft, Cisco, and Symantec.  Someday I'll find my next one and try to go 4 for 4.

How or why are you still working and not sitting on a beach everyday?
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »

Becoming a thoughtful and functioning adult. It sounds trite, but my life could have gone a very different direction.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »

I used to run a science museum bookstore and arranged many author appearances by well-known scientists and astronauts. (Sold Stephen Hawking a book once.) The best was Apollo 13 Commander Jim Lovell, who'd written a book called Lost Moon that was being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks -- maybe you've heard of it. I hosted him (Lovell, not Hanks) for a whole day. He did a routine book signing outside the planetarium in the afternoon (and signed the back of a poster with a very kind, personal autograph for me, which is still on my wall today). In the evening he gave a sold-out multimedia presentation in the museum's largest auditorium and then did another book signing.

Like most academic institutions, the museum was heavily silo'd -- that is, divided into departments that competed with one another for turf and dollars and only cooperated under duress. Most employees viewed their main responsibility as deflecting work onto other departments. So arranging all of this was a huge achievement, especially for someone from the low-status museum store -- I got the theater people, the auditorium people, the planetarium people, the parking garage, the education department, and even marketing to work together to bring off a successful event that people remembered fondly for years afterward. I even introduced Lovell myself, which is the only time I've ever spoken before a large crowd (hundreds of people).

In between appearances, after the exhibit halls were closed, Lovell and I walked through the museum's small spaceflight exhibit where we had mockups of Apollo command and landing modules. He told me a bunch of personal anecdotes about the 13 mission that weren't in his book or the movie, growing more and more enthusiastic as he went on, and pointed out the LEM's targeting reticule that he'd used for seat-of-the-pants navigation. Before they cut the LEM loose he snapped that part off and pocketed it; it is displayed on his mantle as his personal souvenir of the mission.

That was the best day of my working life. In fact, I knew that I'd peaked, and I left my bookselling career within a year.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 01:59:02 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 07, 2013, 11:54:57 PM

Becoming a thoughtful and functioning adult. It sounds trite, but my life could have gone a very different direction.

I haven't achieved it, tried a few times, gave up.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »

Graduating from college and medical school, finishing residency, and becoming a board-certified anesthesiologist...will probably only be surpassed by having kids some day

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 02:15:33 AM »

Over the last 4 years I've written 6 books, 5 have been published. I have a fancy-scmacy NY Literary agent that represents Chris Hardwick. I sold over 20K books last year, hung out with celebs, been hit up by movie producers concerning my books, I have NY Times best selling author's as friends, I've moderated panels at conventions with stars of the writing world, and all that's cool. You'd think that was a great life's achievement, right? (you did say brag)

But that's NOT my life's greatest achievement, I just wanted to put this into perspective. Being with my wife for 22 years is my greatest achievement. I would collapse into a shapeless mass of babbling jello without a purpose in life if she weren't with me every day.

And yeah, that's me with Daryl Fucking Dixon.

Brag on!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 07, 2013, 11:48:11 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 07, 2013, 08:19:31 PM

Very early contributor at three separate startups that eventually sold to Microsoft, Cisco, and Symantec.  Someday I'll find my next one and try to go 4 for 4.

How or why are you still working and not sitting on a beach everyday?

I have very expensive taste in shoes.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 08, 2013, 01:41:00 AM

I used to run a science museum bookstore and arranged many author appearances by well-known scientists and astronauts. (Sold Stephen Hawking a book once.) The best was Apollo 13 Commander Jim Lovell, who'd written a book called Lost Moon that was being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks -- maybe you've heard of it. I hosted him (Lovell, not Hanks) for a whole day. He did a routine book signing outside the planetarium in the afternoon (and signed the back of a poster with a very kind, personal autograph for me, which is still on my wall today). In the evening he gave a sold-out multimedia presentation in the museum's largest auditorium and then did another book signing.

Like most academic institutions, the museum was heavily silo'd -- that is, divided into departments that competed with one another for turf and dollars and only cooperated under duress. Most employees viewed their main responsibility as deflecting work onto other departments. So arranging all of this was a huge achievement, especially for someone from the low-status museum store -- I got the theater people, the auditorium people, the planetarium people, the parking garage, the education department, and even marketing to work together to bring off a successful event that people remembered fondly for years afterward. I even introduced Lovell myself, which is the only time I've ever spoken before a large crowd (hundreds of people).

In between appearances, after the exhibit halls were closed, Lovell and I walked through the museum's small spaceflight exhibit where we had mockups of Apollo command and landing modules. He told me a bunch of personal anecdotes about the 13 mission that weren't in his book or the movie, growing more and more enthusiastic as he went on, and pointed out the LEM's targeting reticule that he'd used for seat-of-the-pants navigation. Before they cut the LEM loose he snapped that part off and pocketed it; it is displayed on his mantle as his personal souvenir of the mission.

That was the best day of my working life. In fact, I knew that I'd peaked, and I left my bookselling career within a year.

thumbsup
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »

Considering the rather ridiculous emotional and financial investment it took to get them here (multiple rounds of IVF), I'd have to go with having my kids.  A 4 year old daughter and (arriving soon) twin boys.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 04:02:35 AM »

Being alive.  I really didnt think Id make it this far.  I should have died 12 years ago but incredible will, great insurance and the best surgeon in the Kalamazoo area combined to get me where I am.  Im very thankful for having Blue Cross master medical at the time because the total bill was over $300,000. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

- Surviving cancer
- Managing to punch above my weight in marriage
- Building my family in a non-traditional manner (one bio-daughter via IVF, one son via adoption, possibly another via donor embryo)

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »

I once got the highest score on the babysitting exam in a class that was made up almost entirely of girls. I survived basic training. Not huge but when you consider how many people drop out before the end I think that's a significant achievement.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »

That one time I hit the game-winning home run in Little League!  Oh wait...that was a movie.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »

This thread is awesome. You guys are really neat.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

As part of the TV show I was on, I got to meet and work with John Travolta (who taught me to put on sunglasses) and Michael Rooker (who I got to beat in a go kart race).  I also got to perform with William Shatner (who Shatnered me on stage).

None of those are as cool as that Jim Lovell story.   thumbsup

Also loving a lot of the great triumphs here.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 08, 2013, 04:51:31 PM

Glad you liked it. I was a huge fan of the space program when I was growing up, and I felt a particular connection to Apollo 13 because the April 13 explosion happened on my 13th birthday. (The launch had been at 1313 hours the previous day, btw.)

I'm a jaded and cynical person and I never really believed in heroes until I spent an afternoon with Jim Lovell. He really is the genuine article.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »

Got to brief the President once. Otherwise I'll go with my wife in case she ever sees this.

I also got completely shelled as a pitcher once against a team that had two or three players from the previous years' team that lost in the little league world series US championship game. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 08, 2013, 07:06:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 08, 2013, 04:51:31 PM

Glad you liked it. I was a huge fan of the space program when I was growing up, and I felt a particular connection to Apollo 13 because the April 13 explosion happened on my 13th birthday. (The launch had been at 1313 hours the previous day, btw.)

I'm a jaded and cynical person and I never really believed in heroes until I spent an afternoon with Jim Lovell. He really is the genuine article.

That's good to hear... he owns a restaurant near my in-laws, and whenever the subject comes up they talk about what a jerk he is.  I didn't want to believe them smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »

As far as personal accomplishments, I wrote all the text and made all of the battle maps for Civil War Generals 2, which was a really fun beer-and-pretzels hex-based wargame with decent AI. I worked on other games that were better known and more popular, but CWG2 was my favorite project because most of the company was focused on making Lords of Magic at the same time, leaving the small CWG2 team to labor in the shadows. We were able to make a much better game than if management had been breathing down our necks. I also learned far more about CW history than I was ever taught in school and got to represent the company at a CW reenactment in Charleston, SC.

(If you download it, BE SURE to get the version 1.04 patch; it made single-player rock solid and multiplayer almost so).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:35:55 PM by Ironrod » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

Let's see...

Celebrating our 20th anniversary last year.

Having two awesome kids.

Walking away from 7 years of medical/graduate school and never once looking back.

Possibly figuring out what I want to be when I grow up while still in my 40s.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »

My quest for immortality is going well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: