http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 04:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - TV Show  (Read 5858 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2004, 01:13:08 AM »

Watched it and loved it.

Anyone else see it?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:27:20 AM »

Nope. Was playing Burnout 3 on Live.

But then, I'm not much for TV in general anyway.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:35:47 AM »

I watched it.  I still don't know what to make of it.  Not blown away, but I didn't turn it off.  I wasn't paying all that much attention, but I am supposing they didn't reveal what was on the island with them.

I was thinking it was a dinosaur, but who knows?  Aliens or something.  Maybe the mutated relatives of old Japanese WWII holdouts?

Decent, but I still echo my question from the original thread: how can they keep it fresh and sustain this show and make it seem somewhat realistic?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »

Loved it, but can't wait for it to continue. There's a good interview with the co-creator on Aint-It-Cool that spells out some things in the future, and where they might take Terry O'Quinn's character sounds awesome. smile I'm looking forward to where this goes.

P.S. Greg Grunberg's cameo as the pilot was pretty funny. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 11:39:40 AM »

Yeah,  I love that Greg dude.  He cracks me up.

Beings that JJ Abrahms (sp?) is co-writer of this series, at least I think he is, I am willing to bet whatever is on that island is something noone expects.

If it were dinosaurs, so be it.  But I am hoping it is something kind of different than the expected.

The Canadian actress that plays Kate:  Very Nice!  (and she did a damn fine job of acting scared-to-death too!)

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »

I liked it and am intrigued by where they are going to go from here.  JJ Abrahms is the creator of the show, not just the co-writer.

Side note: there is way too much to watch on Wednesdays...Thursdays will be like that too when The O.C. fires up in November.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 01:45:45 PM »

Bah, I meant to set up the VCR to record it and forgot.  Looks like they're re-airing the parts 1 and 2 of the pilot on 10/2 though.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 08:41:49 PM »

I got distracted by Smallville on Wednesday and missed it.  I'm setting my DVR to record it next week.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 11:43:13 AM »

Part II of the Season Opener is tonight.

Bring it on baby!

I think I may really like this one if they do it right.

Anyone else IN! on this one?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-24313/

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »

IN!

I'm absolutely there on this one. Oddly, I'm less interested in the set-up and more interested in where they go from here. Right now it's all about finding out what the hell situation they're trapped in, but I've got high hopes they'll really start jacking with the characters soon.

That interview at AICN pointedly said that the monster(s) is not a dinosaur, and that some main characters will be killed off. The idea being to take the Red Shirt theory and invert it where the lead character would get killed and the guy/gal you never saw before would run back and start coming into their own.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

That is really encouraging news.

I KNEW Abrams wouldn't go the obvious route on that one!

Do you mind if I make a silent request that they don't kill off 'Kate'...

I really, ummm, like her character!

LD

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 03:14:51 PM »

Hey, the guys are expendable, but Kate's, um, assets are golden! biggrin

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 04:52:33 PM »

So I went to schedule the dvr to record tonight's episode, when I discover to my horror that all of the stations are running a presidential debate tonight.

including ABC.

I went ahead and st it up to record the whole season, but I'll be SUPER pissed if the wife and I can't watch part 2 tonight! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 05:44:16 PM »

That's right !!!

The "debate" is on tonight.

Hmmm..............

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 05:52:38 PM »

IN!

First part was good, but I'm worried that it could potentially become stupid VERY easily. Doubt that it would with Abrams at the helm but it's kinda set up in a way that it could easily turn bad.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 06:36:56 PM »

The debate's on Thursday night I thought.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 06:54:58 PM »

Yeah, you're right  Tongue

I must've cycled ahead too far on the schedule.

yaaaay!

Mike Dunn
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 06:59:16 PM »

Will the LOST pilot be shown again?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 07:13:42 PM »

Yeah, ABC is re-airing the whole pilot (both eps) either this week or next. Quick! Someone check out the TV Guide listings for this Saturday!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 11:24:26 PM »

For those that aren't interested in the debates, I saw a good program on Nova (on PBS) about the origins of life on our planet.  Part 2 is on tonight dealing with life on other planets and the like.  Looks interesting and well done.  I'm a geek for astronomy and space-related stuff.  Not so much the aliens, or lack thereof, but the science.  Just a heads up.  Television sucks.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 01:18:21 AM »

Watched it.

I'm not sure if I liked this part better or the first part better.

Not saying it was bad though.  Still liking it lots.

Two things I noticed:

1) For a brief, and I mean BRIEF moment, when the plane was breaking apart and they were going down, I could swear I saw snow covered mountains in the background.  It was so brief however, I could be way off.  But then the bear showing up made me think maybe I wasn't seeing things.  Anyone else notice this?  WBS?

2) The second thing I noticed was Kate in a bathing suit or her underwear, or something.  For some reason, I find this girl more attractive than breathing.  Sweet Lord, she is just so nice to look at.

On another note, I am so glad I am one of those people that can watch shows like this and almost ALWAYS be surprised at the twists.  I must really zone-out when I watch tv, cause I just about fall for everything.

You know how most people say, "Yeah... I saw that one coming a mile away!"    Not me!   Not only do I not see it coming; but when it happens, I usually need someone to explain to me what the hell just happened.  I call it being comfortably numb.   :wink:

Looking forward to next week!

LD

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 02:22:46 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

1) For a brief, and I mean BRIEF moment, when the plane was breaking apart and they were going down, I could swear I saw snow covered mountains in the background.  It was so brief however, I could be way off.  But then the bear showing up made me think maybe I wasn't seeing things.  Anyone else notice this?  WBS?

2) The second thing I noticed was Kate in a bathing suit or her underwear, or something.  For some reason, I find this girl more attractive than breathing.  Sweet Lord, she is just so nice to look at.

To address these points and add my own:

1) Didn't catch the mountains, but I know what you were looking at. Personally, I thought it was cloud swirl to indicate they were really high up, but I'll review it Saturday night during the re-airing. It wouldn't surprise me if there were snow covered peaks somewhere, but there's one big thing that would argue against that: The show is filmed completely in Hawaii, and if they want snow then they'll have to CG it in, or film that one segment on a sound stage and that's extra cash and time. So if it's going to be revealed, my guess is it wouldn't be for a while.

2) I think Kate is a knockout (moreso with less clothing biggrin) but why everyone is dropping to their knees and thanking God they were born men while looking at her is lost on me. Maybe it's because my wife rocked my world the other night, maybe it's because of my Charlize Theron obsession (but it's a healthy one, I swear!) but she's only an 8 out of 10 for me.

Forthwith, my thoughts:

The entire show was spelled out by Terry O'Quinn's character when he talked about backgammon. That's the show right there. There will be a blurring of the lines for sure (shades of grey make for better drama than black or white) but there will be two sides, one white, one dark, that will face off in the game. I just started grinning ear to ear listening to him. Imagine The Stand set on a tropical island, and that's what we've got. And we finally met our Randall Flagg. Booyah. biggrin

I can see our intrepid explorers doing the following: finding mysterious ruins or caves or both on the island, possible artifacts of great power (though this is highly suspect) and there might even be a rational explanation for everything. It's possible the polar bear came with the French woman's party, and considering the matted and sweat-drenched condition of its coat, we know it was there for a while. But the possibilities of where it came from I think will be revealed with the details of what and where the island is.

This is a show that can literally go anywhere, but here's something else to keep in mind: 48 survivors, 49 for about 2 minutes there when they found the pilot. We've met approximately 15 of them? Hell, we haven't even SEEN the rest of the cast. I think the main cast that's locked in are the following:

Matthew Fox (Doc Jack)
Kate
Terry O'Quinn (I'm calling him Flagg until they name him)

Yup. You're reading that right. My vote of confidence is only on THREE out of the 48 survivors, meaning that anyone at any time under any condition can be killed.

I'm hooked. biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 03:29:56 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

The entire show was spelled out by Terry O'Quinn's character when he talked about backgammon. That's the show right there. There will be a blurring of the lines for sure (shades of grey make for better drama than black or white) but there will be two sides, one white, one dark, that will face off in the game. I just started grinning ear to ear listening to him. Imagine The Stand set on a tropical island, and that's what we've got. And we finally met our Randall Flagg. Booyah. biggrin

See what I mean about not picking up on things?  You are probably dead-on accurate with this.  This whole thing just passed me by!

Great observation!

Someone on the GG thread said they noticed a polar bear in the comic book the kid was paging through.  I missed that.  WBS - did you pick that up?

LD

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 03:34:53 PM »

Nope. Slipped right past me on that, but I was eating when i heard he found a comic book so I missed that part. Started actually watching right before the dad said he'd get a new dog for his kid. I think that was more of a nice touch in the details than anything else, but if the comic comes back and something else is cribbed from it, then expect that to play a big part.

I'm really looking forward to next week when the Flagg character starts to step up.

"What are we going to do for food?!?!"

Flagg calmly stands there.
"We hunt."

Love it. biggrin

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 05:43:45 PM »

just checked my recording of last night's episode and there is indeed a polar bear in the comic book.

interesting.....

Mike Dunn
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 06:13:12 PM »

Anything else of note, other than the polar bear and that it's in Spanish?

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 07:37:44 PM »

well, the wife and I were discussing it, and these are the things that really stood out from the first two hours:

the polar bear/ comic book connection

the older black lady saying she thought the noise the creature made was familiar and that she was from the bronx.  Others commented that it didn't sound like a creature.  Also, she refers to her husband in the bathroom during the flashback sequence and later mentions him again- we have not seen him.

there's more, I'll post later

Mike Dunn
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 08:05:28 PM »

Interesting. It's possible her husband is one of the survivors we haven't seen yet, so that one I'm not too bowled over by. Familiar sounding creature, eh? The plot thickens...

/strokes imaginary pointy beard

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2004, 03:25:27 AM »

Intrigued, not sure how long that will last as of yet.  The show has been interesting thus far, but I'm not yet convinced that it will continue to hold interest.
Jeremy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 02:19:49 PM »

I'm hooked for now. Like others, I wonder where it's going and if there's going to be a huge letdown. Lost is also filling my primetime drama fix as CSI: NY has been a letdown. (Though this past week's ep was pretty good.)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 02:21:33 PM »

Here's my new theory: the old guy, Locke: it's going to turn out that he's been on the island the entire time, and wasn't in the airplane.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2004, 04:44:26 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Here's my new theory: the old guy, Locke: it's going to turn out that he's been on the island the entire time, and wasn't in the airplane.

I thought so as well until I saw this.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2004, 04:44:26 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"

Hmm; I don't think he's been shown on the plane in any of the flashbacks.  That's an interesting theory.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »

Locke was on the plane. Everyone that was in the crash was on the plane. Unless we see someone who's been on that island for the last 16 years (and it's have to be a French woman) then everyone we see was in the plane. Recall, there were 48 survivors, now 47 after the policeman died. We've seen around 10 of them. There's plenty left to uncover in the future, but Locke is the one that's interesting me the most.

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 05:14:05 PM »

Locke was on the plane. Everyone that was in the crash was on the plane.

He was shown on the plane?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 05:17:11 PM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"
Locke was on the plane. Everyone that was in the crash was on the plane.

He was shown on the plane?

Check out my link above.

He was on the plane.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 05:35:48 PM »

Aha.  There goes that theory.  smile
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 06:59:04 PM »

Ok.  Maybe not Locke, but somebody will have been on the island all along.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2004, 06:59:33 PM »

By the way, something about it reminds me of the island in Far Cry

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2004, 07:03:51 PM »

Yeah I'm waiting for Triguns myself smile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print