http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 12:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - TV Show  (Read 5577 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2004, 07:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Yeah I'm waiting for Triguns myself smile

That'd certainly be a twist I didn't see coming.  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2004, 07:33:18 PM »

The wife and I find Locke extra wierd to watch because he was the murderous step father in all the Stepfather movies.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2004, 07:36:59 PM »

As for people not "seen" on the plane, I was talking with my wife about it and came up with the list of people I'm not aware we've seen:

1. Hurley
2. Pregnant lady
3. Sissy + Brother (though I'm sure they were there)

most importantly

4. Vincent! (the people at TelevisionWithoutPity call him "Vincent the shifty eyed dog")

Tell me, did you see with your own eyes the dog on the plane? I didn't think so!

Oh and I don't see Locke as necessarily evil, but I do see him as a catalyst for what's going to happen.

Oh and I'm not so sure Dr. Jack is a real doctor - he's had flight training and knows how to do stuff like a doctor, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were an ex-military super duper secret operative of some sort. Cuz only they have really neat tatoos like he showed in episode one.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2004, 07:45:42 PM »

Charlatan, the Doc is supposed to be a real bad-ass in that regard, and originally he was going to get killed off at the end of the second episode I think it was. Soon into the series. Anyway, the gag was something like "Here's our normal hero, ex-military, pilot, doctor, shaman, everything else you'd ever need all in one good-looking guy. Now let's watch as he gets his head ripped off right after they get to the island. Ha ha! Those other travelers are screwed now, ain't they?"

I'd have proclaimed the show to be genius if this had happened.

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2004, 08:34:48 PM »

Hurley being on the island from the start would make a certain kind of sense. I can see the 'reveal' scene already:

Doc "You've been here for HOW long?"

Hurley  "Duuuude! You don't even wanna know."

The pregnant girl, yeah her too because maybe her 'kid' is the result of some bizarre experiment. Considering she's about to drop that rugrat any moment, she doesn't seem as concerned about her circumstances as I would be if I was her.

The brother/sister, no way.  The thing is, to be believable the characters have to act believable. We've seen the brother/sister speak privately with each other, they've never even hinted at anything OTHER than being on the plane(the guy who wouldn't let them on first class)- if they are speaking privately, why wouldn't they talk about what is REALLY going on? If it comes out later they weren't on the plane, the show loses all credibility.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2004, 09:01:09 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Tell me, did you see with your own eyes the dog on the plane? I didn't think so!

Well I didn't see the pressurized cargo hold, where they normally crate up animals for transport.  Guess I missed that episode..... :wink:
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2004, 09:40:06 PM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Quote from: "Charlatan"

Well I didn't see the pressurized cargo hold, where they normally crate up animals for transport.  Guess I missed that episode..... :wink:

EXACTLY! My point is made!  biggrin

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2004, 10:51:44 PM »

AintItCool Interview with show co-creator

Just thought I would throw that up there since it pretty much confirms the parallel to The Stand.

I really enjoyed the 2 hour opener.  The latest episode felt like a standard third episode for genre shows in that it cooled things down a little and was more of a character piece than thriller.  

Looking forward to the 4th episode though.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2004, 11:12:13 PM »

I think the last episode is evidence that this show hasn't found its focus yet.

I mean, are we supposed to be rooting for any one of these people, or are they just pawns? Are we supposed to be hoping they get rescued? Or watch as they figure their own way off the island?  Or just hoping they find out what is going on the island? Is the whole point the interaction between the characters? I hope to see some direction develop soon.

Compare to Xfiles(before the collapse): I always knew what Scully and Mulder's relatioship was, what Mulder was trying to do, and who to root for.  The other stuff(CSM, aliens, Deepthroat, Skinner) all provided the misdirection and suspense. I think in a genre show, having that kind of foundation is very important in getting an audience to care about what is happening.

Right now, I'm at the 'the idea of this show is cool, but now what?' stage with Lost. After 3 hours of show, I was hoping to be a little further along by now.  After all, I was at that stage when I first heard the concept of the show, much less saw any footage!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2004, 11:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"

Just thought I would throw that up there since it pretty much confirms the parallel to The Stand.

Exactly why I kept referring to Locke as Flagg in my other threads. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2004, 11:27:39 PM »

Hurley= Tom Cullen
Doc= Stu
Kate= Larry
Locke= Flagg
Kid= Lloyd
Sister= Nadine
Racist= Harold
Pregnant Girl= Frannie (obvious)
Vincent= Kojak

This is how they 'feel' to me, using The Stand template. I know the relationships aren't the same but oh well.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 11:36:55 PM »

Does anyone else think the pregnant gal is hotter than Kate.  Maybe its the accent but she does it for me.   :oops:
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2004, 11:53:40 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Does anyone else think the pregnant gal is hotter than Kate.  Maybe its the accent but she does it for me.   :oops:

I thought I detected some kind of accent, or an attempt at an accent, hehe.  Yeah, she's hot, I liked her back on Roswell(not that I watched Roswell, that was a chick show).  Hotter than Kate?  Haha, surely you jest?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 11:55:11 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"

What I like about the interview is the following:
AICN: Beyond the plane’s pilot, and discounting flashbacks, will we meet during the first 13 hours any human beings beyond the 48?
DL: I will not comment on whether or not we'll be meeting any other human beings on the island who were NOT on the plane. But I will posit this -- Who's to say we haven't already?

That's cool.  And it fits in line with the theory mentioned earlier.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 04:00:50 AM »

Hmm...  fat kid on the plane?  how about the a-hole who had the gun?

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2004, 12:25:20 AM »

I had an epiphany in the shower this morning. I was thinking about Lost, and what is it that REALLY bugs me about this show. I realized it bugged me most that I felt like the creators were doing things just to be shocking, which is of course the ONE guaranteed way to NOT be shocking.

For instance, I could picture them saying "The audience wants to know who are the good guys and who are the bad. Let's do a show where we don't tell them!". "Then, later, we show them a 'bad' guy but we'll make it a character everyone would have thought was a 'good' guy!"- referring to Kate of course.  "Then to surprise them even more, let's make the bad guy turn out to be a 'good' bad guy!"

Which leads to my theory. Who is the only other character comparable to Kate in terms of our empathy as an audience?  The Doc, right?  And what do we THINK we know of him? That he is a Doctor, for one. That he is a 'good' guy.

What if he is A)not a Doctor and B)not a 'good' guy, what if he's a 'bad' 'good' guy in the way that Kate is a 'good' 'bad' guy?

So I realized(epiphany) that we haven't seen the Doc do anything that a nondoctor couldn't do. We haven't heard him say anything that a nondoctor couldn't have said. He 'treated' the guy with the shrapnel in his chest, but really, what did he do that was so doctorly?  He's 'it' I think, he's the 'dark' that plays against the 'light', in the backgammon metaphor. I believe Kate is the 'light'.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2004, 12:29:56 AM »

As long as giant rubber bubbles don't start chasing them around the island, I'm hooked.

I think everyone is conditioned for a quick payoff.

Sit back and enjoy the slow build.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2004, 01:02:56 AM »

Woah!  Never saw that coming!  Locke is a cool character!

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2004, 01:10:40 AM »

Now that was nice.  I can appreciate a show that provides layers.  

Overall a good episode.   But did I miss something last week that resulting the Korean man getting eaten or something?  It just seems odd how he hovered around his wife/girlfriend/slave previously and now he's gone.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2004, 01:53:38 AM »

SPOILER (small one but still)

TPS Report?
OMG!!!11!1!!!
I almost fell off the couch!

END SPOILER

Great episode tonite (10/13).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: