http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST news - Fury leaving  (Read 1243 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:19 PM »

Aint-It-Cool-News story.

Crap! David Fury, the co-writer of some of the most brilliant episodes of Buffy, Angel, and LOST (Locke first episode, for starters) is leaving the show to go work with former Buffy/Angel compatriot Tim Minnear (creator of the fantastic Wonderfalls) for another FOX show this fall called The Inside. THEN - Fury moves over to 24 to show them how Jack Bauer should really be tortured. biggrin

Either way, genre shows are now benefitting from Fury's terrific writing. The bad thing is, LOST loses one of its best writers and that bugs me. I've been a long-time fan of Fury's, going back to Profit, and I'm happy for him... but another FOX Show?!?! What the hell?!?!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:39:14 PM »

While that's a definite bummer for Lost (and I hope it doesn't signal a downturn in the show), I'll definitely be looking forward to The Inside with both Minnear and Fury behind it.  And having Fury working on 24 is just icing on the cake.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:50:36 PM »

lost cant continue for more than two seasons. i mean come on. it's on an island. it's a show based around mysteries that have to be revealed soon or the fans will walk. and once they are revealed the audience may walk anyway. especially if it's a disappointment. the show will probably follow the pattern of twin peaks. and the hit season 1 of twin peaks was only a handful of episodes. i think he's doing the right thing by leaving before the ship starts sinking. if things go bad next season the last place he should be is be one of the head writers. this makes me curious if he knows the real story about what the BIG truth is on Lost. it's obviously not special enough to make him stick around and be one of the people that springs it on us fans.

i'm very excited for his being on 24. but 24 is not a place for sci-fi/fantasy or humor. so we shall see how it goes.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
i'm very excited for his being on 24. but 24 is not a place for sci-fi/fantasy or humor. so we shall see how it goes.

True enough, but Fury is excellent at going very, very dark (anyone that saw the few episodes of Profit 10-ish years ago can vouch for that) so 24 should, in theory, get even more brutal if that's possible.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:19:51 AM »

lost cant continue for more than two seasons. i mean come on. it's on an island. it's a show based around mysteries that have to be revealed soon or the fans will walk. and once they are revealed the audience may walk anyway.

What makes you think Lost will always be set on the island?

-Autistic Angel
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:38:26 AM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
this makes me curious if he knows the real story about what the BIG truth is on Lost. it's obviously not special enough to make him stick around and be one of the people that springs it on us fans.

That's an interesting point.  Already you have to wonder why someone would leave an ongoing hit show in favor of something that may not even last more than a few episodes no matter how cool it is(ala Wonderfalls).

One reason COULD be that he sees a trainwreck ahead and wants to get off the tracks.  If I was a writer on the show and knew something really cool was coming, yeah I'd want to be part of that, maybe even write that episode myself.  But if I knew we were bluffing, that we had nothing and were treading water till till the boss figured out what he wanted to do, I'd be inclined to walk. For one thing, when it implodes, they are going to be looking for scapegoats.

That would explain alot, as far as the slow story development in Lost is concerned.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:42:29 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
That's an interesting point. Already you have to wonder why someone would leave an ongoing hit show in favor of something that may not even last more than a few episodes no matter how cool it is(ala Wonderfalls).

Nah- The Inside isn't a permanent gig.  He's working on six episodes with Tim Minear.  Then he's going to 24 to be Co-Executive Producer so that will be his permanent gig.  And that could be the answer right there- correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's only a staff writer on Lost.  Co-Executive Producer on a series would effectively be a promotion.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 01:01:24 AM »

Hmm, I got the impression he'd be writing on the new show, producing on 24, possibly writing a bit on 24 if possible.  That being the case, he could just as well write for Lost as the new show.

Maybe the Lost people wanted more of a commitment then, and he needed to have time next season to do his 24 gig?

Though I really wonder if season 5 of 24 could be called a permanent gig.  Even I, a diehard 24 fan, don't expect it to go past 5.  Heck, I'm surprised they even got to 5.  The reruns didn't exactly sell for whole lot.  Then again, as a 24 fan, I'm stoked at this news.  A little bit of creativity is all 24 needs to be taken to the next level.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 02:38:35 AM »

24 has had a bit of a creative boost this season IMO and the ratings are up too.  I think waiting until January for the premier as well as no reruns has made it much easier to keep their audience.  Keifer recently commented on Jay Leno that Jack Bauer wouldn't be going away any time soon.

If you check the AICN link its specifically says his deal for The Inside is for six episodes and then he's taking on 24.  Co-Executive Producer and writing for 24 will probably dominate all of his time.  Plus, I don't know if there are any guild rules that would prohibit him from freelancing on Lost while under contract on 24 even if he were to find the time.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 01:41:30 AM »

Nah- The Inside isn't a permanent gig. He's working on six episodes with Tim Minear. Then he's going to 24 to be Co-Executive Producer so that will be his permanent gig. And that could be the answer right there- correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's only a staff writer on Lost. Co-Executive Producer on a series would effectively be a promotion.

David Fury is currently a Co-Executive Producer of Lost.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:43:49 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Nah- The Inside isn't a permanent gig. He's working on six episodes with Tim Minear. Then he's going to 24 to be Co-Executive Producer so that will be his permanent gig. And that could be the answer right there- correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's only a staff writer on Lost. Co-Executive Producer on a series would effectively be a promotion.

David Fury is currently a Co-Executive Producer of Lost.

-Autistic Angel

Cool- I was going to check the opening credits tonight to check.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 08:24:15 PM »

Profit was a full on amazing show - I remember stumbling on it one day without any prior knowledge and flat out being mezmerized by this twisted genius character, and the way he manipulated those around him.  I loved that show, was very sad when it didn't last.

Had no idea that Fury wrote that - I'll have to watch more of his stuff now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: