http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost 4/24 (Spoilers)  (Read 2755 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:21 AM »

eek Wow - didn't see that coming.  I didn't think there was any way they'd kill off Alex right after bumping off Carl and Danielle.  I loved Ben's reaction, and the rampaging smoke monster.  Also, the framing of the last scene was fantastic - both Widmore and Ben half in shadow, half in light.  One thing I love about the show is how they never lose sight of the personal, even with the overarching plot taking center stage.  The "war" stuff is great, but we also get a new wrinkle in the story of the star-crossed lovers Desmond and Penny.  Great stuff, and I can't wait to see what they have planned for the finale.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »

now it's obvious why ben is syc'ing sayid after all those people.  i'd be out for revenge too if i were ben.  i was surprised ben didn't have it bring the leader back to him for the final shot.  of course, he probably doesn't have much control either.

the last two episodes have been harsh against the survivors and other cast.  not only have three named (and known) people bought it, but three more of the background survivors killed too.  (btw, if you see one gunned down in the open, would you run out to see like vic 2?  just a head smack moment.  nevermind the guy who went to check on him.  now that's just stupid.)

i still love how ben seems to know something about everyone.  kind of spooked the mercenary leader.  i see a painful death for that guy. 

Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »

HA!! I guessed it was the people from the boat who killed Carl and Danielle, alot of people from the Lost thread at OO felt that Ben had sent them into a trap and thats what I thought first but that was to easy(obvious) an explination. I'm kind of surprised that they revealed why Sayid is working with Ben so soon. Loved the episode, also cant wait for the next.

Dave
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »

Wow, that episode just blew me away, I need to rewatch it to let it all sink in.  I was pretty heartbroken for poor Alex, that was just... harsh and I didn't think they'd actually go there.  Then watching all the extras get blown away (kind of gratuitous), I'm really starting to wonder if they intend to actually kill everyone but the Oceanic 6 off. 

The Ben flash forward was very nice, and the confrontration sequence with Widmore was great.  Going after Penny, wow.  Loved that.  I wonder if Desmond escaped or not, that could be some classic stuff if Sayid is sent to kill them.

Also enjoyed seeing Sawyer take on more of a hero role, looks good on him.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »

I've never missed an episode of Lost, and although I've long ago stopped wondering how or whether my numerous questions on this or that can ever be plausibly answered, I did stop and say, "WTF? Ben's off The Island and confronting Whidmore - the man responsible for his daughter's murder - and he doesn't kill him?" Because "we both know I can't kill you"?

Oh, well, just go with it, JS, just nod knowingly and play along.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on April 25, 2008, 06:15:51 PM

"WTF? Ben's off The Island and confronting Whidmore - the man responsible for his daughter's murder - and he doesn't kill him?" Because "we both know I can't kill you"?

I'm guessing it's similar to how Michael couldn't kill himself.  There's obviously history between the two, so it's possible Ben had tried to kill Widmore before, and the Island wouldn't let him.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »

That episode was like taking a plunger to a lot of stopped-up story arcs. It really got things swirling again. And no, I don't think the show is going down the toilet.  thumbsup

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »

Someone told me that Widmore IS Jacob, I don't know where they got that from.  However, unless I was mistaken yesterday, Ben did specifically say "He changed the rules" after Alex was shot, which I thought was a reference to Jacob.  Then later in the Widmore confrontation he says "you changed the rules" which might give credence to the Jacob=Widmore theory.

Also a side note, it looked to me like one of the chopped episodes (since essentially 5 episodes worth of material were "lost" no pun intended due to the abbreviated season from the writer's strike) may have been a Sayid/Nadia reunion, which only got small play last night.  Too bad, I would have liked to see Nadia again.

And another thing, based on the intro to Ben's FF, do we believe his story to Sayid that he boated off the island and then flew?  It looked to me when he woke up it was more like he had been teleported or something (similar to Desmond).
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 25, 2008, 05:59:16 PM

Wow, that episode just blew me away, I need to rewatch it to let it all sink in.  I was pretty heartbroken for poor Alex, that was just... harsh and I didn't think they'd actually go there.  .

My wife and I turned to each other and both said, well, there's one less annoying character gone from the show.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 25, 2008, 09:00:01 PM

Also a side note, it looked to me like one of the chopped episodes (since essentially 5 episodes worth of material were "lost" no pun intended due to the abbreviated season from the writer's strike) may have been a Sayid/Nadia reunion, which only got small play last night.  Too bad, I would have liked to see Nadia again.

The way it worked out, there will only be 2 missing episodes.  They were only going to make 5 of the planned 8, but they got the go-ahead to make the season finale 2 hours by producing another hour.  Seasons 4 and 5 will be 17 episodes each instead of 16.

As for Ben's teleporting, it appears he used the Orchid station (seen in this video) to get off the island.  I'm guessing he left in a hurry (probably after/during a fight, given his injuries) and wasn't able to choose where/when he ended up, thus his confusion about what year it was.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »

Okay so what the hell is the smoke monster?  Seriously.  Would it hurt them to give us a little bit more about it?
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »

Just watched the episode on ABC.com. That was a great episode. Is there going to be an episode next week or is there going to be another wait? Anyone know?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 26, 2008, 03:19:17 AM

Okay so what the hell is the smoke monster?  Seriously.  Would it hurt them to give us a little bit more about it?

I read somewhere that the true nature of the smoke monster won't be revealed until season 6, but I don't know if that's fact or just someone's guess.

Quote from: Kyosho on April 26, 2008, 09:52:35 AM

Is there going to be an episode next week or is there going to be another wait? Anyone know?

There will be new episodes for the next 3 weeks (May 1, 8, and 15) and then a 2-hour season finale on May 29.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 26, 2008, 03:19:17 AM

I likewise read they wouldn't fully reveal it til later, but that each time it has appeared you learn a little more about it.

This time I guess we learned that Ben has the means of "summoning" it and that it is fully capable of attacking multiple adversaries - whether he actually controlled it or not is still in question.  Graphics-wise, it looked like they added a "hand" type of motion as it grabbed one of the guys, which seemed new to me.  Also it's not just a "judgment" device, seems like it is fine with just killing on demand  icon_cool
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »

Anybody notice this:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »

Just 1000 new questions and no answers..ho hum.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

There were plenty of answers - We now know how and when Ben got off the island, why Sayid went to work for Ben, that the smoke monster can be summoned, and that Ben and Widmore have a long history with each other.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 28, 2008, 03:18:00 AM

Just 1000 new questions and no answers..ho hum.

Just because you can't see the answers doesn't mean they're not there.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »

Does anyone know if anyone has made a compilation video of the flash fowards that're put together in the appropriate order? Or at least a site that has all the flash fowards? I could rewatch all the episodes on ABC.com but I'd really like to avoid doing that. It'd be very time-consuming. I'm not sure if it'd be against forum policy or not to post such a link. I don't think it would be at OO but I'm not 100% familiar with the differences in rules here.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »

Good stuff this season!  Last one was really well done IMO.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »

I didn't see how Ben got off the island..just that he appeared in the desert wearing arctic gear. Again it made no sense and just gave more unknown junk. I dont think they will ever answer anything and make it up as they go along.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 28, 2008, 04:14:47 PM

I didn't see how Ben got off the island..just that he appeared in the desert wearing arctic gear. Again it made no sense and just gave more unknown junk. I dont think they will ever answer anything and make it up as they go along.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,26245.msg394768.html#msg394768
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »

Verrrrry interesting episode.  Slowed down from the hectic pace of last week's but still very enjoyable for Jack and Kate fans.  Especially for fans of naked Jack, though I still prefer him hairy   icon_wink  Lots of sweet, romantic "payoff" moments for the soap fans both on the island and off, and then scenes of how that deteriorates to the bearded Jack at the end of last season.

I like the thought that Hurley's theory is correct, that the Oceanic 6 are actually the dead ones.  What a twist that would be at the end of the season to see the 6 die while the island folk survive.  But now that he's said it, I doubt that would work.

Jack/Kate's dialog near the end was the most interesting part, plot wise.  Sawyer chose to stay?  Kate is doing something for Sawyer?  Who is the "he" she refers to?  Shouldn't be Sawyer if he's not around, so who is it?  Does Jack know he is Aaron's uncle (implied by his comment you aren't even related)?  And why is he so weirded out by her having the baby if Claire was gone missing?

Also a nice side plot for Jin and the redhead, plus the setup for Sun to get off the island without him. 
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »

The episode was decent. Definitely added some new information, but in general I didn't like it nearly as much as the last one. But they tend to do that a lot. Have a really action-packed episode, then a more laid back episode. It was especially noticeable when I was watching episodes back to back.

People have been theorizing about Jack's father for so long, I've been wondering when they were going to bring him back. They never even touched on the empty coffin in season 1. So it's good they're doing something with it, even if it turns out to be nothing. Also, I really don't like Kate. I'm not sure why, but I guess I've never really liked her much. Though it's not as if there's a rule that you have to like every character.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 02:22:26 AM »

I was glad to see the idea that Claire is supposed to be raising Aaron mentioned again.  The psychic's vision that Aaron would turn into a monster if not raised by Claire was very intriguing, so I'm glad it wasn't just forgotten.  Also, I'm glad that they confirmed that Carl and Danielle are dead.  After Heroes' ludicrous killing characters off and then bringing them back the next week, it's nice to see death have some staying power slywink

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »

At one time, the French Lady's story was of interest to me: it sounded like it might be the classic (or hackneyed?) tale of a small group of explorers discovering more than they could handle. Danielle, iirc, said she'd had to kill the others in her team because they'd been taken over (or something similar). Did she mean they'd lost their self-will and were being controlled? Not clear to me now, though her knowing Ben suggests her team had simply joined his group which sort of negates the initial impression I'd had that they'd been "infected." I recall once she asked Jack if anyone of the survivors were acting strangely as if extended time on the island might be dangerous. Danielle's flight and survival for all those years seem impressive given how much weirdness was going on. Or maybe they (whoever they are) could have had her anytime but never cared either way.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »

I was disappointed with her death. She had survived all those years and even man handled Syeed and yet died instantly with no fight.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 04, 2008, 05:12:31 PM

I was disappointed with her death. She had survived all those years and even man handled Syeed and yet died instantly with no fight.
I agree. Either the writer's intended it to be ironic - bang! you're dead, end of the story for you - or grimly realistic (death comes instantly and unseen) or (and I think this most likely) they'd run out of stuff for her anyway and her being dead eliminates the need for any resolution of her backstory.

Lost is a good candidate for all those writers who like to come up with backstories and explanations for all the background details that people like me wonder about. I haven't looked but I bet there are books/guides/novels out there already.

Heroes, I know, has a few, including a novel about what Hiro was up to while he was timetraveling and met his American girlfriend.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 04, 2008, 06:24:43 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 04, 2008, 05:12:31 PM

I agree. Either the writer's intended it to be ironic - bang! you're dead, end of the story for you - or grimly realistic (death comes instantly and unseen) or (and I think this most likely) they'd run out of stuff for her anyway and her being dead eliminates the need for any resolution of her backstory.

Ben's vulnerabilities are all gone now. Uh-oh!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

She died trying to save her daughter (if only for a few hours), so it was somewhat of a heroic death.  Plus, the way the show works, I wouldn't be surprised to see her pop up again in a flashback.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »

Oceanic 6, oh my!!!  Scattered all over the place, oh my!!  Discuss!!

Last night's episode was good, but felt more or less like just a build up/precursor to the finale.  Just moving all the pieces into place, basically.  Still no clue on how/why Jack would abandon everyone when every episode he insists on reminding us he promised everyone he'd get them off the island.  And why they insisted on saying 8 survived the initial crash but only 6 made it.  What's up with that? 

Loved Sun's bitchslap to Daddy and the soap opera reveal of Jack/Claire/Aaron.  Also loved Hurley's reaction at the press conference (a minor nod to fans who made the same comment).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »

I loved the feel of last night's episode.  We know that Jack ends up addicted to pills and crazy, we know that Nadia is going to die in a few months, and we know that Hurley ends up miserable and back in the institution, and it cast everything with an air of sadness and inevitability.  It's going to be a long two weeks to wait for the finale.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2008, 05:12:41 PM

Oceanic 6, oh my!!!  Scattered all over the place, oh my!!  Discuss!!

Last night's episode was good, but felt more or less like just a build up/precursor to the finale.  Just moving all the pieces into place, basically.  Still no clue on how/why Jack would abandon everyone when every episode he insists on reminding us he promised everyone he'd get them off the island.  And why they insisted on saying 8 survived the initial crash but only 6 made it.  What's up with that? 

Loved Sun's bitchslap to Daddy and the soap opera reveal of Jack/Claire/Aaron.  Also loved Hurley's reaction at the press conference (a minor nod to fans who made the same comment).

Definitely a 'filler' episode.   But just like with a good strawberry pie, the filling is umm umm tasty.  Was good to see Sawyer as a hero again as he's one of my favorites.  I'm finding Jack more and more annoying as the show goes on, ditto Kate but not as much.  I'd be just fine with The Hurly, Sawyer and Ben power hour.  Oh and Sun in a Bikini.  That wouldn't be bad either.

morlac00 on PSN
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »

I just watched it online. There's two weeks until the last episode? Crap.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »

I loved John's feeble attempt to maintain the idea that he's in charge. Jacob might be talking to John, but its up to Ben to get anything done. John doesn't have a clue where he's going and what he's supposed to do. Ben pulls out the box only to have John put his foot down on it so he can be the one to open it. Then he sees the contents and is clueless as to what he's supposed to do with them. When John asks what message he delivered with the mirror Ben's response of "none of your business" was classic.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »

Who the heck was Christian?  Did I miss something?
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 17, 2008, 08:37:08 PM

Not sure what you mean. Christian = Jack/Claire's dad.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 17, 2008, 08:54:14 PM

I thought he looked like Jack/Claire's dad.  But over on Television Without Pity, they called him Christian, and I didn't remember his name being Christian.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 02:19:14 AM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 18, 2008, 02:15:55 AM

Quote from: Kyosho on May 17, 2008, 08:54:14 PM

I thought he looked like Jack/Claire's dad.  But over on Television Without Pity, they called him Christian, and I didn't remember his name being Christian.

Yeah his name's Christian Shephard. I think he introduced himself to Sawyer as Christian. But I don't remember. I'm not sure how I knew that his name was Christian for sure. I just, do. Hm.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Christian_Shephard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: