http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 3/30/05 - HOLY COW! (WBS shoutout)  (Read 4225 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2005, 07:15:39 PM »

Just a heads up that Lost is new tomorrow.  You may continue your reading now.

Edit: got my date wrong...keep thinking it is the 28th today, sorry about that.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 08:37:39 PM »

Life's good again.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 03:49:15 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Life's good again.

'Bout time...I've missed it.

Looks like a wild one from the previews.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 05:10:21 PM »

Thank goodness... been missing this show.  I will be glued to my TV for sure tonight.  Hopefully the preview doesn't completely misrepresent the episode as has happened in the past.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:24:49 PM »

Just saw a preview for tonight's ep, and the unburied hatch looks crazy. Like some funky futuristic arm from a space station. He he, like the crap in the Fantastic Four trailers.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:25:27 PM »

I remembered; but very much glad it's back!!!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 06:49:49 PM »

So we have:

Lost at 8:00p

Alias at 9:00p

and Eyes at 10:00p

That's not so bad.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:13:03 AM »

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This episode gets the Whiteboyskim Seal of Approval. thumbsup

As if we need further proof that Terry O'Quinn is the best actor on the island (though Harold Perrineau is a close second), we find out what helped turn John Locke inward. The cause of his paralysis is still a mystery, which I like, but the last 15 minutes was some seriously powerhouse drama. For some reason, I didn't think his dad would betray him though. I figured his dad might pull through and they accidentally cut Locke's spinal cord or something during the procedure. And Swoozie Kurtz as his mom? That's pretty funny since I think both she and O'Quinn are roughly the same age. smile I also loved how the backstory was told here and there while the focus remained on the island, where we actually had some serious forward momentum among the characters. Next week looks like the screws start turning for real as we ramp up to May, where all hell is likely to break loose. Only a few more weeks until someone major dies, the monster returns, and Claire's baby is born.

I seriously wish some of the other characters were at least shown, but oh well.

Highlights:

- Locke with hair!
- Swoozie Kurt! (longtime fan of hers)
- seeing way more of the hatch uncovered
- "It ends with a T."
- Jack's medical questioning of Sawyer
- Locke's vision
- the cause of Sawyer's headaches, specifically the look on his face when Jack tells him the term for his condition
- Sayeed's wordless cameo
- Hurley's one sentence cameo
- Kate. Just... Kate
- "Picking up some Korean there, Michael?"
- Locke hunting with his dad
- "I don't think he's a priest."
- the contents of the seaplane
- Boone and the radio
- the extent of Boone's injuries
- the entirety of the final shot, but that last second in particular

I cannot wait until next week. biggrin

Grade: A-

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:35:20 AM »

Man oh man, I can not even put in to words how much I loved this episode.  Locke is just outright incredible.  The pod lighting up at the end...then the previews...do you think jack saves boone?  I figured boone was gonna get injured due to how bloody he was in locke's dream.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 02:48:58 AM »

That rocked indeedy.

There sure seemed to be something behind Locke right there at the end. A shadow or something.

They set a high standard for the rest of the season.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »

How about this:  From the maps in the plane, it looks like the smugglers were headed over the sahara desert, I thought.  

How the hell did the smugglers wind up on a deserted island in the pacific then?

If someone else saw it more clearly, please let me know, because this little bit I thought I saw is blowing my tiny little mind.  

If I wasn't imagining things, then that makes the island even more weird than I originally thought.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 09:26:39 AM »

i'm curious about the route on the map as well, but it was only a quick glimpse and i don't have any way to go back and check it out.  anyone that Tivo'd the episode want to clue the rest of us in?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 11:28:19 AM »

So anyone else think Boone isn't going to be the one who dies?  The preview for next week seems to make it too obvious that we are supposed to think boone is bighting the dust.  I am still amazed this morning when I think about the episode.  I do remember seeing nigeria on the map, but didn't look close enough to be honest.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:56:17 AM »

Whoa. Whoa WHOA WHOA. WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.

Locke is just beyond awesome. What a great episode. Where in the hell is this show going?

The map did indeed show Nigeria, and the Sahara. I didn't see the shadow behind Locke at the end though.

HELLO!
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 02:09:50 PM »

g-damnit!!!!!!!!
I missed it!!!!!
That's the first episode I missed.  My wife told me that they were on hiatus until April.

Are they repeating it anytime soon?

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 02:14:55 PM »

Yep, that was a good one.  Reminded me of watching the show when the season started of really being pulled in.  

Anyone else get the feeling there is going to be a Locke episode where he makes his Dad's life a living hell?  The squinting of his eyes as he looked through the gate said it all.

One of my favorite parts was Sawyer telling the "others" to stop making the noise.  I just liked the ideas of a groups of extras being included with no reason real to be there except to pound on things.

One of my least favorite parts was finding all the Heroin in the plane.  I don't really want to see a very special episode with Charlie sliding back.  

I think the only characters I would be bothered by being offed would be Locke, Sayid, Jake, Kate, Hurlie and Sawyer.   They are kind of the core of the show anyways.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »

I'd add Charlie to your list, Redjak, and take Kate and probably Sayid off.

I'd really hate to see Sayid go, as he's a really fun character (and I like his accent smile ), but he doesn't add too much lately, aside from being the "tinkerer". Kate adds hardly anything other than her insanely good looks. She does have quite a mysterious story left though, it would be a shame to kill off that story by killing off Kate.

I thought originally it was going to be Boone that was gonna die at the end of the season. Now with him getting wounded seriously so many episodes before the end of the season: I'm not so sure. It makes sense to save the killing off a character till the finale, and I don't think they're gonna make him suffer in pain for the next couple of episodes and THEN kill him off.

HELLO!
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

Damn.  When is this repeated?  Didn't know it was on last night.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »

Quote from: "Napoleon"
I'd add Charlie to your list, Redjak, and take Kate and probably Sayid off.

I really think Sayid could have potential in the future.  I hope anyways. And Kate...well....she is awfully cute and kind of is the only reason Sawyer ever seems to get included in anything.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 06:28:26 PM »

Yep.... like it or not...

Locke, Jack, and Kate are the big three (at least as far as the show is concerned).  They aren't going anywhere.

I'd bet ya a quarter on that.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »

hehe, no WAY they would cut Kate... major babe/major draw... nope.

Oh and if no one heard, the orginal 90 season finale has been upped to 2 hours.

smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 08:46:51 PM »

And here I was hoping his mom wasn't a nut and Locke was Jesus smile  

A lot of religious references last night both subtle and obvious.

I suspected the setup by the father, but I thought he was working Locke on his own, not with help from nutjob.  I think Locke tried to kill himself in the last flashback scene in the car, smashing into a tree and paralyzing himself.  The guy was raised in foster homes his entire life with no adopted family, and as an adult finally reunites with his mother and father only to be used by them for money and an organ.  I imagine he took the entire reality of all of that pretty hard.  

Great episode.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 09:01:53 PM »

I really didn't get the point of the kidney stealing. Locke was giving his dad his kidney anyway, so why does his father then need reject him? Does he just not like Locke? What does the father gain by the deception?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 09:20:44 PM »

I got the impression that the father in any other circumstance would not want to be bothered with Locke's existence, much less maintain a relationship.  The only way he thought Locke would offer to give up a kidney would be for him to play the father-son bonding role long enough for Locke to volunteer.

To make matters worse for Locke, his newly introduced mom was in on the scheme, with her payoff being even worse...just $.  "Feeling used" would probably be an understatement.

The plane full of heroin seemed like a really cheap plot device for a future Charlie-gets-tested episode, which I hope isn't the case (although there seems to be another round of character testing occurring).
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Oh and if no one heard, the orginal 90 season finale has been upped to 2 hours. smile

i would like to feel excited about that, but i have a feeling it will mean about 5 minutes more show and 25 of commercials...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 11:57:38 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "walTer"
Oh and if no one heard, the orginal 90 season finale has been upped to 2 hours. smile

i would like to feel excited about that, but i have a feeling it will mean about 5 minutes more show and 25 of commercials...

Tivo  smile
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2005, 12:50:03 AM »

My wife thought it was weird that after Locke's mom told him he was immaculately conceived, then met his father, his father had said that he had tried several times to have kids without luck.  She thought maybe he was sterile and proved the mom's theory of the conception.  turns out mom's just a greedy wacko.  I like Swoozie Kurtz, though, but she didn't look like Locke's mom.  How can you alternately love and hate a show like this...I hate them when they're over and not much has been explained.  Baby steps, and then just enjoy the ride...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 04:03:11 AM »

Quote from: "TheGameAh"

Here!  Cool
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2005, 01:25:59 AM »

I didn't like when Sawyer told those people to keep the noise down.  It's not like he has a whole frickin' island to go find a quiet place on, is it? That scene just made no sense to me.  I can't imagine ANYONE letting Sawyer yell at them like that without snapping back at him.   Who is he anyways? Nobody, that's who.   Jack(doctor)  and Locke(hunter/provider), yeah they could get away with that, but Sawyer. Please. :roll:

And I thought it was interesting that Locke turned out to be somewhat of an idiot in his younger, pre-wheelchair days.  I mean his mom, said to be a bit mental, somehow manages to track down her long given up son.  And Locke, on Walmart wages, manages to track down his long lost dad.  

Yet Locke's dad, apparently very wealthy, can't track down his son? Even though of all three of them, the dad is the one with a very pressing reason to do so.  It should have been a major tipoff to Locke that something was up.  C'mon Locke!  You've never met your parents before and now, shortly after meeting both of them, it turns out your rich dad needs something only you can give him...think it might be connected? Nah.

I was pissed(and remembered why I stopped watching this show before) when that plane crash sequence turned out to be a dream.  AHHHH! I can't put into words how much 'it was all a dream' ticks me off, it's such a copout.  I LIKED that sequence and started thinking "alright, FINALLY this show is getting in gear" while watching it and what happens? It was all a dream, oh man.

Jack redeemed the episode for me, and I never thought I'd say that.  I think the scene where Jack tells Kate that Sawyer needs glasses, after making Sawyer admit to various embarrassing things, was the single coolest moment on this show since that guy got sucked into the jet engine.

Kate looked especially hot too, that didn't hurt.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2005, 09:32:59 PM »

That was a cool episode. A solid blend of the past and the present, both narratives equally entertaining.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 11:09:46 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "TheGameAh"

Here!  Cool

thanks a bunch, that rocked

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 11:21:39 AM »

Great episode. We ended up watching 3 episodes in a row last night, so I've finally caught up. I reckon Sawyer is safe because of all the agro he adds. I reckon it could be the guy from Angel, or the guy with the kid. Neither are important to the plot or add a lot to it. 'Though that's probably why they are safe, as neither death would have much impact on the audience. I hope it's not Charlie or Hurley, as they bring some much needed humour to the proceedings.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 11:53:20 AM »

Can I make a guess?

I pick Jin.  (Is that his name?)  -  You know, the Korean guy.

Reason:  Semi-important character that most people pretty much like, but also someone the show could afford to lose without losing too much.

Anyway, now you can pretty much guarantee it WON'T be him, cause I am almost never right, but he is my guess.

LD

LD

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 04:52:42 PM »

For whatever reason, I've been thinking Locke from the moment I heard someone was going to bite it. He seems to get the island the most, to be closest with it. Maybe once he fully understands what's going on, he won't need to be on the island anymore.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 05:16:40 PM »

I finally watched this over the weekend.  I have one comment about Locke that no one else has hit upon.

When Locke got out of the car when he was trying to get into his father's house after the operation, I thought I saw blood on the back of his shirt as he was getting out of the car.  Did anyone else notice this or think that was important?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 06:08:20 PM »

I figured the blood was since he just had his kidney removed and it looked like in the appropriate location.  He basically woke up and then jumped out of bed to go confront his dad so there should be some bleeding still.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
I figured the blood was since he just had his kidney removed and it looked like in the appropriate location.  He basically woke up and then jumped out of bed to go confront his dad so there should be some bleeding still.

That's what I thought also.  

Are we missing something Graham?  I am not as smart as I look, so please fill me in.

LD  :wink:

LD

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2005, 08:04:56 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Quote from: "RedJak"

That's what I thought also.  

Are we missing something Graham?  I am not as smart as I look, so please fill me in.

Well, wouldn't they have some type of gause or patch over his wound?  Shouldn't the bleeding have been stopped by the time he went over to his dad's?  Why would he be bleeding and him not notice except for the fact he was in such a rage?

I wonder if this might foreshadow the reason for his paralysis.

Also, isn't it possible that the paralysis is mental and not physical?  I know that he didn't feel that long piece of wood stuck in the side of his leg after the collapse of the structure, so that would indicate some nerve damage, but what if it is more because of a mental ailment?

Maybe our resident Lost philanthropist WBS will have more insight.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2005, 08:44:38 PM »

As even Freud once wrote, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." smile I figured he was bleeding from the wound simply because he was putting pressure on a fresh surgery wound and driving around in his car. Two things which I would imagine the surgeon would be pissed at Locke for doing. smile Personally, I think he was paralyzed through some other means, be it infection from the surgery or a wreck later on, but I don't think the blood was anything other than what I just said.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »

I figured that it was blood from the surgery - getting out of bed, you could tell that Locke was still in pain and that he was not fit to get around. As others have said, the possibility that his paralysis is due to the surgery crossed my mind, whether the surgery just went bad, or because of Locke's exhertion.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: