http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost 2/8  (Read 613 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »

Spoilaz

A solid episode if a bit uneven.

I don't buy for one minute that Locke would trust Sawyer and this episode was a total breakdown in who John's character is.  He went from wizend sage to nitwit in one episode.

Although, that was the point, I don't think it was executed very well.

Oh and Charlie able to follow Locke without Locke detecting him?  Preposterous.

However, the background story on Sawyer was good if a bit shallow.  I'd like to see a bit more dynamics come through in his back story...he's too charismatic and sinister to be that one dimensional.

Overall, pretty good, but the whole Hurley Sayed piece seemed out of place and unimportant (though I'm sure it wll come back eventually).

Edit: I know people have been saying that the show is losing it, but I disagree. However, I feel that this episode more than any other so far has been more cobbled together and without the whole 'lost vibe'.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »

Skipped it entirely myself. I think I may tune back in once the season starts winding down around mid-April.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

Was there a point to the Sawyer backstory? Didn't we already know that he was a con artist?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »

We just had to be reminded that he is a con artist, through and through. Which is funny, 'cause I hated the new and improved Sawyer, but at the same time I kind of doubt just how deep the "bad guy" goes in him.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Was there a point to the Sawyer backstory? Didn't we already know that he was a con artist?

I agree with Dafones: a better question might have been, "Didn't we already know that Sawyer was a big jerk?"  The answer is yes, but we were also ready to forget all about that because he's also charismatic, funny, and been through some really terrible times lately.

Sawyer has lived his entire life under the belief that he deserves to be mistrusted and hated, so does things to make sure that he is.  It goes back a lot farther than the guilt he feels over the things he's done: Sawyer hates his father for being so gullible, stupid, and weak, getting conned and commiting suicide, so he's devoted his life to becoming a predator himself.  He believes himself to be irredeemably corrupt, despite the fact that his conscience drives him to push everyone else away so that he can't take advantage of them.

A sociopathic con artist has it easy.  Sawyer does not.

Quote from: "ATB"
However, the background story on Sawyer was good if a bit shallow. I'd like to see a bit more dynamics come through in his back story...he's too charismatic and sinister to be that one dimensional.

I'm prepared to agree to disagree about this, but "one dimensional" is just about the very last adjective I would have used to describe Sawyer.

-Autistic Angel
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 05:37:40 PM »

You basically agree with everything I said.  He's not one dimensional, but his back story is.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:47:50 PM »

I loved the episode, I thought it was one of the best of the show.

Locke had to move a bunch of crap in a hurry, Charlie just had to hang back and observe him from far away, anyone could have done it.

Hurley/Sayid, well that answers the question of why Jack went to Anal instead of Sayid to build his army.  Speaking of which, no one wanted to join it, haha.

The flashback was great because it was actually relevant to what was going on in THIS episode.   So many flashbacks tell you stuff about the characters but they aren't relevant to what is going on at the time.  We saw the incredible foresight, manipulations, and advance planning that is Sawyer's way of life, and it tied directly into what happened on the island in that episode.  I did NOT know he had this in him from his previous flashback, I thought he was a lowlife conman, he's way more than that.  He's scary dangerous.

I have thought Charlie was crazy for a while now, I loved that slowly but surely his character has been revealed to be that way.   I immediately had two suspects in the attack of Sun, the number one suspect was Charlie except I couldn't find a motive.  He and Sawyer were just too Machiavellian for me to keep up with.

The only downside to the episode for me was this:  The ending, where Sawyer declares himself the new sheriff in town.  I don't buy it.  If I'm one of those nameless survivors, I'm thinking to myself "Hmm, I didn't have a gun before, but I didn't have some idiot declaring himself king either.  If I kill this guy, what have I lost? Nothing really."

Locke and Jack have lost the guns, they were self declared guardians of everything valuable.  The rest of the 'elite'(Sayid, Kate, Hurley, Jin) might feel like they lost something, since they probably could have got access at some point.  But the regular survivor, he hasn't lost anything.  Sawyer has to sleep some time, that would make it easy for someone to sneak up on him and bash his head in with a rock or something.

I don't see why Sawyer thinks he's in such a good position.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: