http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 12/01/04 - HOLY CRAP!  (Read 2112 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 02:07:20 AM »

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Alright, we all knew that was a possibility, that there would be more people on the island than originally mentioned, but COOOOOOOL!!! And next week the fit hits the shan in a big way. I'm now drunk in love with this show, something I really haven't been since Angel figured out what to do with itself in the third season.

Speculation of who the "new person" really is, and how they got on the island in the first place, must commence forthwith.

Highlights:

-Emille de Ravin (sp?) taking center stage since not only can she act, but she's just adorable

-hot Asian chick with an Aussie accent = drool

-Locke's eyes at the beginning

-Claire's reveal when she wakes up

-Hurley throughout

-"Hurley's my nickname. Why? Not tellin'."

-Kate sinking

-"It's a gift."

-Charlie's reveal to Claire about his shady past, and her response

-"He knew..."

-A last-minute Sayeed is better than no Sayeed

-The final reveal

Dude, I'm in love with this show. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 03:06:54 AM »

LOL.  I was about to come here and post a thread with the Title LOST- Holy Crap!  too.

Ethan has to be that french chick's son.   Rememeber last episode she kept asking Sayid, "Where's Ethan" in about six different languages?  As for why Ethin speaks with an American accent, I do not know.  

Also, hot aussie gir's baby is totally going to be the anti-christ.  (Rosemary's Baby, anyone?)   The psychic kept saying that Aussue Girl has to raise the baby "because she has a good spirit."  Now, why would this be an issue unless the child wasn't the future price of darkness?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:16:38 AM »

Didn't recall the name she was pounding on Sayeed for as Ethan, though it would make sense then as to who he is now. And how's starting a thread on LOST for a 1,000th post? biggrin

EDIT - Wait a second... didn't The French Woman keep asking where's Alex instead?

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 03:24:36 AM »

Ah, you are right.  By why would "Alex" give out his real name if he is a lunatic?   ninja
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 04:36:57 AM »

I thought her son was "Alex". I can't recall the name of her husband, though. Maybe Ethan.

And how does Sayeed know that there are other people on the island other than the French girl? Because she told him? Because he "heard" their voices? Or did he see them when he was returning to the caves?

As for the girl's baby -- watch out; if she gets with the hobbit and they raise the child together, she'll be breaking the rule the psychic gave her.
telcta
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 05:08:59 AM »

What a great episode to watch.  What was even more exciting is that I got to see it for the first time in HD with Dolby Digital sound.  HOLY CRAP!  I can never go back to that muddy looking analog channel anymore.  Claires eyes are beautiful!

Perhaps Ethan was the one that whacked Sayeed upside the head a few episodes back?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 07:20:19 AM »

Sawyer is now being played by a pod person...he was actually nice and handed over the manifest without asking for a kiss from Hurley or anything else  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 09:36:04 AM »

I wasn't so charmed by this episode.

Firstly, if she is so worried about being attacked, have several of the survivors sleep around her, hell maybe even arrange a rotating 'watch' over her- problem solved.  Having her stomp off ALONE into the jungle was idiotic- and having the hobbit point that fact out doesn't excuse it, it just makes it worse, like the writers are admitting they know it's stupid but they don't care.

Second, the entire subplot with the psychic, what the heck am I supposed to make out of that?  I thought this whole segment was problematic to say the least.

questions:

The psychic's only initial advice was for her to raise the kid herself, then later he has a 'plan' that involves a plane trip.  So how did he connect the plane crash to her?  Did he have a separate, later vision of the plane crash? And if so, did he see that she would live if she was on it? I didn't know you could mix and match psychic visions. If so, how does he know that other survivors wouldn't take part in raising that child?  Or was he hoping everyone on the plane would just die and solve the problem that way? But then that means his psychic power is good enough to show him a plane crash but not the part after showing if anyone lived- how inconvenient. So how could he depend on it for something so important?

Who would give $6000 cash to a dingbat, desperate, pregnant girl? How does he know she won't run back to the original couple and sell the kid to them for the $20000 and keep ALL the money?   Did his psychic powers tell him that she would not get on the plane for less than $6k, or he just pull that number out of his ass?  If he pulled it out of his ass, wouldn't it have been smarter to lowball her with, say, $2k and only increase it if she balked?

When the doc was talking to the hobbit and Kate(who looks as luscious as ever), was he trying to make everyone laugh when he said "It's not good" that she was going to have her kid without a hospital or anesthesia or painkillers or whatever?  Haven't women been having kids without that stuff since the dawn of time?

I don't know, maybe it's just me but this episode wasn't as good as some of the better ones.

as a side note, I believe something happened to Sayid after we saw him last, to cause him to arrive at camp so agitated.  There is no other explanation for him not just hiking back at normal pace and arriving looking as well as when he left.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 10:08:30 AM »

Great episode !!!

How about this line:

"You really know how to win a guy over Sta-Puf"

Classic Sawyer!

And that Aussie girl is quite attractive... QUITE !

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 12:51:58 PM »

Ok, I loved this episode and I'm so glad I gave this show a chance with the first week...  

Thankfully, I just suspend all disbelief when watching it, and didn't have any issues with the psychic or any of that.  But I also have no answers.

And telcta, it was my first HDTV experience with Lost as well.  I received the TV I ordered two weeks ago, and I must say, I missed some of the plot because I was just amazed at how amazing Hawaii (er, I mean, the uncharted island) looked.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 02:10:14 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
Who would give $6000 cash to a dingbat, desperate, pregnant girl? How does he know she won't run back to the original couple and sell the kid to them for the $20000 and keep ALL the money?

Because neither of them was playing KOTOR and trying for Dark Side points at the time. Duh. :twisted:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 02:32:55 PM »

When the doc was talking to the hobbit and Kate(who looks as luscious as ever), was he trying to make everyone laugh when he said "It's not good" that she was going to have her kid without a hospital or anesthesia or painkillers or whatever? Haven't women been having kids without that stuff since the dawn of time?

I thought that too but then thought that he was specifically referring to early labor.  I think he was trying to say that it would be safest for her and her baby if she can bring the baby fully to term.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 09:53:14 PM »

This is what I understood from the psychic subplot:

- for whatever reason, this psychic thinks her future child is going to be satan jr, or at least a very eeevil kid.

- he initially got rid of her because what he saw freaked him out

- my impression of him trying to help her to meet the "good family" in LA was his way of getting her on a plane that he knew would crash...killing her and the future sith lord.  

- the psychic didn't foresee that there would be survivors (if they are in fact survivors), or he underestimated the unborn powers of the sith lord.  

The episode next week looks like a good one!  Oh and the dude that dumped the aussie girl...insane.  Who cares about the pressures of impending fatherhood when you get to come home to her everyday!  That's the only part last night when I had to suspend my disbelief. smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 01:00:29 AM »

The baby is a future Sith Lord, haha that's funny to picture.

What about the pens that didn't work, was that the power of the psychic at work, or was it something else?  It can't be coincidence, because then this show is really asking too much from the audience.  Is it supernatural after all, God is manipulating things to get certain people on that island, even to the point of drying the ink out of pens?

edit: in the same vein of questioning coincidence, could it be that the psychic was trying to make some serious cash by getting Claire to sell her kid to HIS baby dealers, so he'd get a major finders fee?  That the plane crash was not foreseen by him at all and in fact ruined his plans? So the kid would be just a kid, and not some evil thing that must be banished.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 01:56:45 AM »

I haven't seen a single episode.

Perhaps on DVD sometime after it ends.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 04:14:00 AM »

edit: in the same vein of questioning coincidence, could it be that the psychic was trying to make some serious cash by getting Claire to sell her kid to HIS baby dealers, so he'd get a major finders fee?  That the plane crash was not foreseen by him at all and in fact ruined his plans? So the kid would be just a kid, and not some evil thing that must be banished.

I think this is pointless to question. Both Charlie and Claire come to the same conclusion and it's the most interesting and far-reaching one:that the psychic knew about the plane crash. Whether he thought they would die or he thought she would be forced to raise the baby herself is another question. But having it turn out to be evil baby dealers really does't add anything to this story, y'know?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 07:07:48 AM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"

I think this is pointless to question. Both Charlie and Claire come to the same conclusion and it's the most interesting and far-reaching one:that the psychic knew about the plane crash. Whether he thought they would die or he thought she would be forced to raise the baby herself is another question. But having it turn out to be evil baby dealers really does't add anything to this story, y'know?

Well, it could add something if everyone's story was coincidence, but they all intrepreted it as something else. Sorta like in Signs, was that God or just coincidence?

What if Locke's 'cure' was a result of shock due to the crash but he thought the island cured him? What if Claire thought her baby was special in some way, but the plane crash was a coincidence that made the psychic seem omnipotent?  What if Charlie thought he transcended his addiction by redeeming himself when in reality he was going to kick his habit anyway since he would eventually run out of drugs?

In this show, it seems nothing is what it looks like at first glance. So I think it's too simple, too pat of an answer, to say that the psychic went through that elaborate scheme simply to get Claire on the airplane.  There's got to be something else going on there.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 12:36:58 PM »

Quote from: "telcta"
Claires eyes are beautiful!

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Oh and the dude that dumped the aussie girl...insane.  Who cares about the pressures of impending fatherhood when you get to come home to her everyday!  That's the only part last night when I had to suspend my disbelief. smile

I've been telling you guys this for weeks now.  Everyone's been so fascinated by butterface needs a sandwich Kate but I knew eventually you would all see the light.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »

I haven't seen a single episode.

Ditto, I don't watch it.

I hope they all die a horrible vicious death on the island one at a time. Nobody get's rescued, screw em' all.  :lol:
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 02:18:58 PM »

Well, it could add something if everyone's story was coincidence, but they all intrepreted it as something else. Sorta like in Signs, was that God or just coincidence?

What if Locke's 'cure' was a result of shock due to the crash but he thought the island cured him? What if Claire thought her baby was special in some way, but the plane crash was a coincidence that made the psychic seem omnipotent?  What if Charlie thought he transcended his addiction by redeeming himself when in reality he was going to kick his habit anyway since he would eventually run out of drugs?

In this show, it seems nothing is what it looks like at first glance. So I think it's too simple, too pat of an answer, to say that the psychic went through that elaborate scheme simply to get Claire on the airplane.  There's got to be something else going on there.

But the psychic insisted that Claire take that flight only. His excuse was that the couple was going to be at the airport. Huh? There are phones, you know. A flight from Australia to L.A. is not quick - just call the couple when Claire decides on a flight. I think it's pretty clear that the psychic knew the plane would crash, though it seems a bit odd that he went to such an extreme measure when Claire was willing to follow his directions.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 03:36:04 PM »

I figured that the psychic saw that she was supposed to be on the flight, so he made sure that it happened...  Destiny and all.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 03:42:19 PM »

For those that haven't read it, the last Entertainment Weekly had a big cover story on LOST. The cited it as the biggest cult hit since the X-Files, while neglecting to mention that X-Files didn't become a hit until mid-way through its second season, and a Nielsen hit in its third. Those of us that watched it from the first episode considered ourselves the "cool" kids because we'd found it first. LOST was a hit from the get-go, just to be clear.

/end digression

Included in the article was talk about how the writers do it, how they got the characters' histories and where the show might be going. Without giving anything away, there is definitely something bigger at work on this island in particular, and everyone on the plane was, at some point, involved in one anothers' lives. So it would see that the people on that plane were all chosen to be there for a reason. I guess we'll see in the future what that reason is, and exactly why there was a big frickin' power line coming out of the ocean and leading to somewhere on the island (where it lead was not to the French Woman in actuality).

Ponder, TV monkeys, ponder away. I love this show. :twisted:

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »

This was posted by a person on Straight DOpe's message board:

"I know it's not my place to define what should and shouldn't be speculated on, but there's a difference between speculating about what's left open by the writers and speculating in such a fashion that you're simply casting doubt on what they're trying to tell you."

That sums it up. To doubt everything the show directly tells us is basically futile.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 06:34:54 PM »

At least we got a bit more action in this one-- and the usual lenghty and sort of interesting backstories this time was really good.

I agree it was one of the better eps.

Also in case anyone other than myself MISSED the frigging pilot, it will be reshown on December 15th.  w00t!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 10:00:58 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Included in the article was talk about how the writers do it, how they got the characters' histories and where the show might be going. Without giving anything away, there is definitely something bigger at work on this island in particular, and everyone on the plane was, at some point, involved in one anothers' lives. So it would see that the people on that plane were all chosen to be there for a reason. I guess we'll see in the future what that reason is, and exactly why there was a big frickin' power line coming out of the ocean and leading to somewhere on the island (where it lead was not to the French Woman in actuality).

Ponder, TV monkeys, ponder away. I love this show. :twisted:

Whoa, that's a pretty big revelation, that they were all involved in each other's lives.

I wonder how this ties into the pilot's death.  Was he chosen to be there so he could get killed shortly after arriving on the island?  Or was his 'death' staged in some way? They never did actually confirm it was his body up there, and that he was in fact dead. From their angle they couldn't see what we saw, since we saw him from up above.

As for questioning everything, well the show's producers have made the choice to tell us NOTHING of substance, even after several episodes, so I think it's part of the show's raison d'etre to speculate on all aspects of what might be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: