http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:36:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 1/19/05  (Read 2873 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:14:42 AM »

Sweet. That story took quite a few turns I wasn't expecting, namely everything having to do with Michael's girlfried. Maybe it's that I'm newly married and looking forward to a family someday, but I just wanted to strangle the hell out of her considering everything she was doing to keep Michael from Walt. The cool part was seeing just how involved in Walt's life that Michael has always wanted to be, which explains his overprotectiveness. And anytime Harrold Perrineau is front and center, the acting is guaranteed to be top notch. Anyone that's seen his full-blooded portrayal of Mercucio in Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet or OZ knows just what he's capable of.

It was cool having Charlie back in the limelight as he's been sorely missed of late.

Highlights:

-The entirety of the backstory was uniformly terrific
-Walt's "gift"
-"But she didn't throw them away either."
-Brian's request of Michael
-Michael's final phone conversation with his ex
-Locke in general
-the achingly funny long shot of Charlie contemplating reading the diary
-the fact that the show is becoming more and more like The Stand, but with enough variables to keep me guessing
-the final shot

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:21:01 AM »

I was actually glad when his ex girlfriend died..what a ho.

As for the kid's 'gift' Im not so crazy about it.

More Locke is alwaysa good thing.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 04:30:22 AM »

It creeped me out when Locke talked about Walt reaching "his potential."  It creeped me out even more when it looked later like Walt has some strange ability.

Claire is back!  Wanna bet she's had the baby and the baby's not with her?
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:42:48 AM »

I actually just now got around to watching last week's episode, and since it was so freaking great, I went right on into this week's.

Good stuff as always, and Im with ya warning, I dont think Claire has her baby.

Sounds like Walt's mom and Brian deserved each other; bitchy ho that wanted to keep her son from his dad, married to a jerk who didnt want to be a father.  Yeah, they were a match made in...someplace.

I had one...
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:48:47 AM »

I went back and watched the end and Claire is no longer preg.  So I am guessing that she had the baby and whoever took her then left her out in the jungle.

I love the show but it's driving me crazy waiting for the next ep.

Great one tonight though.

Is it me or is it that every time someone goes against or pisses off Locke then they have their time in the jungle to make peace or whatever?
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:55:21 AM »

I missed the first ten minutes. Anyone care to fill me in?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:24:10 AM »

WALT=DAMIEN

Man, Michael's accident was hardcore. I think I like Michael as a character much more now after tonight's ep. Claire looked like she was sans baby.

So now, so far we seem to have two characters that are unique, Walt and Claire's baby. (Interesting to note that they are likely the youngest people on the island). I'm still trying to think how/if the show's going to centre on these two kids - assuming the running foreshadowing of the two factions is warrented - or if people are going to slowly discover that they also have something unique about them. Are they all on the island for a reason? I'm thinking so.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 06:02:44 AM »

I'm with you Dafones on this. It's possible that Walt and Claire's baby are going to wind up going head to head eventually (provided the island makes Claire's baby "grow up" overnight or something) and Locke is preparing for the coming conflict by gathering whomever he can to him, and trying to train Walt.

The only times I've gone head over heels gaga-in-love with a show were Buffy The Vampire Slayer through season 5, Deep Space Nine from season 2-3 on, The X-Files until season 4, Angel once it hit season 2, and the first season of Alias. LOST has hooked me hard and I can't wait for the next episode, though we'll have to until February sweeps.

Anyone want to start betting on who will die first from the main cast? Right now I'm torn on the following three: Jin, Shannon, Boone. Of course, it could be Hurley for all we know but it's fun to speculate.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 06:42:26 AM »

Whoever cast this show did a great job.  Most of the actors are (relatively) unknown and they're all good.  The writers are also doing a good job of providing variety in the backstories - it's almost like an anthology series.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 06:53:35 AM »

First off, I agree this was an awesome episode. We got crucial information, something so rare for this show till now.

Next, how I see it. Not as The Stand, think The Shining.  Picture an island,  inert without a catalyst, a battery, to activate it.  This child(Walt) has 'it', whatever 'it' is.  Once he's on the island, things happen.  Possibly other people have come to the island with this 'special' ability, such as the Frenchwoman's crew. But not enough to feed the island. Now someone, Walt, has more almost enough to satisfy the island....UNTIL  a certain girl's baby got thrown into the mix. Maybe that's why 'they only wanted her'.

Tonight this show got exciting for me, like it finally got out of first gear and now we're rolling. I really hope they can sustain it.

Oh yeah, I thought Charlie looked so gay during that scene where he's thinking about reading the diary. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I don't think that's what they intended. I could be wrong.

TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 12:50:30 PM »

Very good episode.  My general thoughts.

1.  These writer sure know how to make evil characters.  The wife and Brian, wow.  Almost pure evil.

2.  Obviously, the island has something special about it, but now we learn that the kid caused the polar bears, at least.  Interesting.

3.  Boone gets beat up every episode.  I think the next new one will have little Walt taking a few swings at him.  My cats could whip his ass.

4.  Locke almost seems to be taking over the show more than Jack.

5.  Good to see Boone turn down Shannon's offer to spend time together.

6.  Maybe I'm just overthinking, but why were Boone and Locke looking for the dog at the end of the episode?  I know they're nice guys, but there must have been a real reason.  I don't think, with all the mystery surrounding both of them now, they'd just get bored one night and look for the dog.  There must be a reason.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »

Quote from: "TheGameAh"
6.  Maybe I'm just overthinking, but why were Boone and Locke looking for the dog at the end of the episode?  I know they're nice guys, but there must have been a real reason.  I don't think, with all the mystery surrounding both of them now, they'd just get bored one night and look for the dog.  There must be a reason.

Keeps Walt happy?  I mean, if the line of thinking is that Walt is "special", Locke would certainly want the kid on his side.  If Walt indeed has powers, the fact that Vincent is not around may make him unhappy...and we see what happened to the bird when he was unhappy.  I also think Locke helping Michael with rescuing Walt will also put him on Locke's team as well.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 01:31:44 PM »

Speaking of the "sides" issue:

What sides are you talking about?  Or are you guessing it will come down to this based on Locke's gaming session with Walt and Locke's saying "We'll want him on our side" to Boone in reference to Sayid?

And if it does come down to that, who on the island is capable of "leading" the other side?  Jack?  I think not.  Although, since we ARE speculating here... If it came down to it right now, assuming Jack and Locke are on opposite sides, the mix is already pretty good.

Locke -  Boone, Michael, Walt, Charlie, probably Claire
Jack - Kate, Jin and wife, Hurley, probably Sawyer, maybe Sayid.

Fun to speculate.

Side note:  When are we getting Hurley's story?  I can't wait for this.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 02:20:58 PM »

Hurley's story is closer to the end of season 1. Also, I'm beginning to think we haven't really seen the true villains of the series, or the Big Bad in Buffy-parlance.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Side note:  When are we getting Hurley's story?  I can't wait for this.

This was episode 14, Hurley's story is episode 18...probably late February or Early March.

The next two new episodes are re-flashbacks (ala Kate from a couple weeks ago) for two characters.  The episode after that is a fresh flashback for a character and then Hurley's story is after that.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »

What sides are you talking about?  Or are you guessing it will come down to this based on Locke's gaming session with Walt and Locke's saying "We'll want him on our side" to Boone in reference to Sayid

Current thought is that this is a Stand-like situation (that wbs referenced), but the good and bad side has not been "revealed" yet.  Who knows though...the ideas have gone through several revisions since this show started.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

What sides are you talking about?  Or are you guessing it will come down to this based on Locke's gaming session with Walt and Locke's saying "We'll want him on our side" to Boone in reference to Sayid

Current thought is that this is a Stand-like situation (that wbs referenced), but the good and bad side has not been "revealed" yet.  Who knows though...the ideas have gone through several revisions since this show started.

I dont think either side will be bad.  i think the island will play thier different wants against each other, and that will create conflict, but the real bad guy will be part of neither group.  

God i love this show.    Locke is the man, id follow him, you bet your ass.  id attach my self to that man at the hip.

AttA
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 03:24:27 PM »

So the next two weeks will be repeats?  It was odd that they showed a preview for next week then.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 04:10:04 PM »

Pretty good episode although I figured Michael's backstory was something along those lines.  You knew there was going to be a twist and early on they painted Michael as a stereotypical deadbeat dad with his son forced onto him.    So since Hurly is kind of painted as a living in his parents basement, sci-fi dork, what is his going to be?   Former jock who got injured?  Internet millionaire?  

I guess that hatch wasn't that important after all.
seabourne
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 06:56:25 PM »

Did anyone notice the comic book that Michael threw in the fire. Polar Bears and alien craft. Seems kinda wierd that polar bears would show up on the tropical island. And we still have no clue what the door or the hatch in the jungle is all about. Now the black pyramid. I hate now we have to go through more re-runs for the next couple of weeks.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 08:42:11 PM »

Quote from: "seabourne"
Did anyone notice the comic book that Michael threw in the fire. Polar Bears and alien craft. Seems kinda wierd that polar bears would show up on the tropical island. And we still have no clue what the door or the hatch in the jungle is all about. Now the black pyramid. I hate now we have to go through more re-runs for the next couple of weeks.

Welcome seabourne!

Actually in one of the first episodes we say a flash of Walt reading that comic and what looked like a polar bear.  It wasn't until we saw the first polar bear about 7-8 episodes back that it raised questions.  Now that it happened a second time it really makes me wonder what the deal with Walt is.

God I hope there aren't any Teletubbies comic books on the island for Walt to find!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 03:12:13 AM »

Hey ....... did we ever learn what the "secret" was that Locke told Walt back in the first or second episode?

If lines do get drawn in the sand sometime in the future, I hope that things aren't black and white. I want to be torn between both sides, never sure which of the two I should be choosing - if I should even be choosing a side in the first place.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 03:40:00 AM »

Maybe Walt knows that Locke used to be paralyzed?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »

I always assumed that's what Locke told Walt, I can't imagine what else it would be since wasn't that episode before Locke 'saw' the heart of the island?  So at that point Locke didn't really have anything else to tell anybody....unless Locke is in on it from before they got to the island, but that's really stretching I think.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »

"If you vote for me, all your wildest dreams will come true."

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 07:31:54 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "seabourne"

Welcome seabourne!

Actually in one of the first episodes we say a flash of Walt reading that comic and what looked like a polar bear.  It wasn't until we saw the first polar bear about 7-8 episodes back that it raised questions.  Now that it happened a second time it really makes me wonder what the deal with Walt is.

God I hope there aren't any Teletubbies comic books on the island for Walt to find!

I was reading somewhere on the internet, that some Lost fans had found that exact comic book.  It was a Flash/Green Lantern team up where a previous Flash/GL had been duped by the government to capture an alien.  Said alien escapes and takes his original captors hostage and plans to destroy the Earth.  Modern Flash/GL team up to rescue the older models and save the planet.  Why did I write all that?  Linky.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2005, 03:43:43 PM »

What i dont get is why Michael hates locke so much.  Did i miss something?

AttA
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 04:59:02 PM »

On the surface, I think Michael is uncomfortable with Locke because he's a spooky old bald guy who travels with a suitcase full of knives, tends to stay on the outer fringes of any socialization, and is exceptionally good at killing things.  If you were a father, would you want your ten-year-old son hanging out with someone like that?

On another level, I think Michael is deeply upset about the fact that his newly-reunited son seems to prefer Locke as his father figure.  Michael has always wanted to be a father to Walt, but now that he has the chance, he's discovered that he doesn't have any idea how to relate to his son.  Unfortunately, while Michael is trying to feel things out and get used to the role, Walt is busy bonding with Locke because Locke is the coolest guy of all time.

I think that's the source of his hostility.

-Autistic Angel
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 05:02:22 PM »

Well I think Michael is trying get Walt to accept him as a real father figure but so far have lacked the skills to really connect without falling back on cliches like "because I said so!".  But Locke made an immediate connection with the boy and that pisses Michael off.  

Also all Michael knows about Locke is he is an older man who seems to like hanging around with young boys and giving them knives to play with.  Locke has been essential for survival on the island but he is still creepy.

Damn...beat to the punch
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
On the surface, I think Michael is uncomfortable with Locke because he's a spooky old bald guy who travels with a suitcase full of knives, tends to stay on the outer fringes of any socialization, and is exceptionally good at killing things.  If you were a father, would you want your ten-year-old son hanging out with someone like that?

On another level, I think Michael is deeply upset about the fact that his newly-reunited son seems to prefer Locke as his father figure.  Michael has always wanted to be a father to Walt, but now that he has the chance, he's discovered that he doesn't have any idea how to relate to his son.  Unfortunately, while Michael is trying to feel things out and get used to the role, Walt is busy bonding with Locke because Locke is the coolest guy of all time.

I think that's the source of his hostility.

-Autistic Angel

That last part defiantly makes sense.  Im not sure i would be upset about the first part tho.  Im pretty sure letting my boy hang out with locke would defiantly increase his odds of survival.

AttA
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 08:08:59 PM »

I think it's because Michael had his son adopted by a white guy, finally gets his chance to build a relationship with his kid, and now it looks like Walt is being taken in by a white guy again.

No, I'm not saying it's racial per se.  It could be anything, instead of white they both could have been preachers.  My point is that Brian and Locke, in Michael's eyes, are the same. He's losing Walt to the same guy, even stuck on a deserted island.  Considering that Brian eventually turned his back on Walt, even after years raising the kid, adds to Michael's discomfort with Locke.  Will Locke eventually tire of the boy and leave Walt wondering why no one wants him around?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: