http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:45:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 1/12/05  (Read 3836 times)
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »

What is this?  A day after Lost and not a new thread?  This cannot be good.  Please tell me I just missed it.

Anyway, I missed the first 15 minutes.  A brother/sister kiss is kinda creepy (obviously I guess they're step)

Locke owns the show.
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 01:47:54 PM »

Personally I liked this episode alot.

SPOILERS *

And I wasn't surprised too greatly by anything that happened.

Well, except for Shannon and her meathead boyfriend "faking" the beatings.  I wasn't expecting that.  But Boone being "in love" with Shannon, I sort of could tell that from the beginning of the show.

I thought the BEST part of the show was when Locke asks Boone:

"What did it make YOU see?"  

This one line gives us at least something to go on.  It is now obvious that the island is making everyone a "better" person by "helping" them release something from their past that has been holding them back in life.  (although that may have been obvious to some of you earlier than this episode, I was not sure about it being true until now).

And regarding Locke... yeah, he is one smart cookie.  He seems to actually "get it" - where some of the others are just kinda' clueless.

Looks like next episode the little kid comes to grips with his dad, which will be nice.

The stirring question is, once everyone has "released their demons" or whatever; where will the show go from there?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:18:45 PM »

I liked this episode a lot.  Locke does indeed rule all.

It was interesting to see Sawyer being led away by the police while Boone was reporting his sister's abuser to the police.

Only thing about this show that's wearing on me is the "almost" deaths.  First the Hobbit was dead but was magically brought back to life by Jack punching him multiple times on his chest.  Then the cute sister was dead.  Except.... gotcha!  It wasn't really her!

That's getting old.  Kill someone off ok?

What do you guys think is under the hatch?
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

There are only 3 possible answers:

Morlocks
Oompa Loompas
Mr. Roarke
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »

That should read "Murlocs".

I went hunting for Murlocs last night.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:35:17 PM »

Oh, and I also thought the episode was great.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 03:00:29 PM »

Did anyone else pick up on the line from Locke about Syaid (spelling?)  It was something like:

"We will need him on our side..."

This clue tends to lead me to think that there will be a split of two sides good/evil?  coming.

Also how cool is that another polar bear comes back next week!  It was on the previews at the end.

I love this show but get so tired of waiting for the next week  :cry:  Almost wish I would have waited until the DVD comes out LOL

Regards,
Pig
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 04:02:25 PM »

I really loved the line by Charlie to the effect of "If there's anyone I trust to keep me alive in this situation... it's John Locke." Ahh, Locke saves all as the castaways descend into a state of nature.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"

There are only 3 possible answers:

Morlocks
Oompa Loompas
Mr. Roarke

What about the Scepter of Jesus?
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 04:38:09 PM »

John Locke- famous philospher believed

"Locke wants each of us to use reason to search after truth rather than simply accept the opinion of authorities or be subject to superstition. He believes that using reason to try to grasp the truth, and determining the legitimate functions of institutions will optimize human flourishing for the individual and society both in respect to its material and spiritual welfare. This in turn, amounts to following natural law and the fulfillment of the divine purpose for humanity. Locke's monumental An Essay Concerning Human Understanding concerns itself with determining the limits of human understanding in respect to God, the self, natural kinds and artifacts, as well as a variety of different kinds of ideas."

I do they chose the name for a purpose. He is nor good nor evil....he just wants everyone to seek the truth through the island.. He is losts spiritual /jesus figure similar to the lord of the flies character. He should die pretty soon! (before season end)
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 05:56:06 PM »

It kind of felt like a utlility episode where they wanted to get everyone updated on who was doing what before the less prominent main characters fade away again.

I almost thought they had the guts to off Shannon and I was wondering what the hell they were going to do with Boone since he wasn't that interesting with Shannon and a lot less without.  The whole drug induced dream thing pissed me off until that last exchange of Locke and Boone.  That was nice.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 07:07:27 PM »

It's funny, I totally smelled the "it's a dream" rat right from the get go - knew Locke was mixing up some hallucinogen to give to Boone - but then accepted what I was seeing as reality once the show inter-cut the scene with one of the other side stories. I guess in a weird way that meant to me that the two stories were happening at the same time, which was proof of the scene's reality. In a way they were happening at the same time - Boone's hallucination took all day, happened alongside everything else chronologically.

Anyone else notice that Boone was covered in blood as he attacked Locke near the campfire, and then with one cut to Locke, it was gone? And Locke knew, he knew the whole time. Man oh man, I want to know what Locke saw when he encountered the monster, back in episode four or so.

I also have to say that I loved the way the show ended. Instead of Boone missing his sister, she's now dead to him, figuratively speaking, and he's relieved. The weight is finally lifted, and it’s exactly what he needs to continue. He doesn't have to baby-sit her anymore. Not what I was expecting ... but what Locke was.

If there is a "real" monster - if it's not being created by everyone's inner demons, and can take on any form - I want to see more of the flying Tremors creature that attacked Shannon. That thing scared the hell out of me.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 07:16:45 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
I almost thought they had the guts to off Shannon and I was wondering what the hell they were going to do with Boone since he wasn't that interesting with Shannon and a lot less without.

I think Boone is a great character. He's another natural leader, so he is a good source of conflict with Jack.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »

Only thing about this show that's wearing on me is the "almost" deaths.  First the Hobbit was dead but was magically brought back to life by Jack punching him multiple times on his chest.  Then the cute sister was dead.  Except.... gotcha!  It wasn't really her!

That's getting old.  Kill someone off ok?

My thought exactly.

To be honest, my interest in the show is dropping, mainly because of the extremely slow pace at which they are revealing what is going on.  In theory, they could spend the entire season doing these background episodes.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
I almost thought they had the guts to off Shannon and I was wondering what the hell they were going to do with Boone since he wasn't that interesting with Shannon and a lot less without.

I think Boone is a great character. He's another natural leader, so he is a good source of conflict with Jack.

How do you figure he is a natural leader?  just wondering.

me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 10:16:15 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

How do you figure he is a natural leader?  just wondering.

I tend to agree with Eco. If Boone is going to emerge as a leader, the creators of the show aren't doing a good job of foreshadowing it. Saeid (sp?) totally figuratively bitch slapped Boone when he confronted him early in the episode.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 10:32:52 PM »

My big question (and an obvious problem with the current plotline, IMHO) is why aren't they more worried about Claire?  Was the threat enough to keep them for looking for her?  I mean, I know that they need to work for survival and all that, but still, it seems like they would be actively working on a plan to get her back, at the very least Charlie would be...
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »

I'm one of those people who is on the fence with this show, but this episode has kept my interest going a bit longer.

My main reason is that it directly addressed some things I was wondering about, namely time and food.  If not looking for Claire or mapping the island or otherwise being useful, what the HELL are they doing with all that spare time?  Jin fishing, Sun creating a garden w/Kate helping, etc. To me stuff  like that goes a long way to creating a vivid sense of life on that island.

Hurley's patient/doctor talk with Jack helps too.  It felt real, like they are really eating only what they find on that island, and yes they are having predictable problems as a result of that.

The 'it was all a dream' bit didn't bother me because I just knew that paste was some sort of Altered State type catalyst.  We knew from last episode that they have antibiotics back at camp, so unless we are to believe Locke intended to keep Boone out in the jungle forever(not likely), Locke had no reason to try to fight a possible infection then and there.

I am wondering one thing:  It's my understanding that Jack, Kate and the hobbit are the only ones who know about the pilot's death- the specifics of it I mean. So if Boone hallucinated the whole thing, how come his hallucination has Shannon being picked up EXACTLY like the pilot being yanked out of the cockpit?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 11:30:37 PM »

The thing about not looking for Claire, I hate that too because they are on an island, she can be only in so many places. Plus she's very pregnant, so it's not like she's going to be climbing into some hard to find hiding spots. They should be able to fan out and catch her trail very quickly.

They kind of addressed that too, however.  At one point we find out the metal hatch is 4 miles from main camp.  Sayid walked for 2 days to get to the Frenchwoman.  So, I figure that means the island has got to be more than 8 miles, or two days walk whichever is greater, across.  Because if you can walk 4 miles to the metal hatch and be about halfway across, you better be looking for Claire because she has no where to go.  However, if you walk for 4 miles and see that you are nowhere near close to the mountains in the distance, beyond which you can see even more island jungle,  I can understand being discouraged from going on.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 02:04:24 AM »

There was also the threat of the Ethan character killing anyone who dared to search for Claire.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 02:28:01 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
There was also the threat of the Ethan character killing anyone who dared to search for Claire.

I thought that was a dream/hallucination going through Jack's head after he hit his head falling down that hill?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 04:18:05 AM »

I think any "dreams" or "hallucinations" on the island have a little more weight than anything in our world.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 08:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
They kind of addressed that too, however.  At one point we find out the metal hatch is 4 miles from main camp.  Sayid walked for 2 days to get to the Frenchwoman.  So, I figure that means the island has got to be more than 8 miles, or two days walk whichever is greater, across.  Because if you can walk 4 miles to the metal hatch and be about halfway across, you better be looking for Claire because she has no where to go.  However, if you walk for 4 miles and see that you are nowhere near close to the mountains in the distance, beyond which you can see even more island jungle,  I can understand being discouraged from going on.

A normal person could easily walk 20+ miles in a day. They do walkathons at 20 miles in 5-6 hours and most of those people aren't even in particularly good shape. It's ludicrious nobody has walked around it. How can you even know for certain you are even on an ISLAND, if nobody has walked all the way around it? It might be a penisula with a nice hotel right up the coast for all they know.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 09:46:03 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
A normal person could easily walk 20+ miles in a day. They do walkathons at 20 miles in 5-6 hours and most of those people aren't even in particularly good shape. It's ludicrious nobody has walked around it. How can you even know for certain you are even on an ISLAND, if nobody has walked all the way around it? It might be a penisula with a nice hotel right up the coast for all they know.

"FUCK!  Now we have to rewrite the ending!" - JJ Abrams

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 01:30:29 AM »

Quote from: "TheGameAh"
What is this?  A day after Lost and not a new thread?  This cannot be good.  Please tell me I just missed it.

That's because I was in Canada on my honeymoon and spitting blood after the show ended because I was no where near an internet connection. biggrin

He's another natural leader, so he is a good source of conflict with Jack.

What the fuck show are you watching? Boone is about as useless as Shannon is, he's just willing to get off the beach. At no point whatsoever has he displayed any of the following: 1) intelligence; 2) decisiveness; 3) emotion other than staring real hard; 4) guts. Boone is now Locke's right hand, true, but a natural leader? Not by a country mile.

Dear God I love this show, despite the obviousness of the "dream." But they actually made it a hell of a lot more acceptable when it was shown that Locke has pretty much joined with the "heart" of the island. I'd go so far as to guess he's become the island's representative to the people, but he's doing it one at a time and only as the situation warrants. He needed help from Boone, saw what was holding Boone back, set the stage to overpower him then turned the island loose on him. As such, Boone was able to let go of everything holding him back as a person thus Locke now has another willing disciple.

Here's the problem: I can't tell where the conflict will come from. The obvious one is with Jack, but I'm leaning more and more towards that being a red herring. There will be a mighty conflict coming, but I'm thinking Jack won't be as much a part of it as I originally thought. Locke is certain to be at the epicenter of it, but maybe the counter to him is Ethan or Claire's son. All will be revealed in time hopefully, and I've got everything I can crossed that the show doesn't pull an "X-Files" and leap the shark.

Highlights:

Hurley vs. Jin in fishing

"I saw it on a TV show!"

Kate and Sun connecting

Sawyer's cameo

The Boone-Shannon storyline, which was actually more interesting than the last four back stories

The re-appearance of the Monster with particular emphasis on the noise it makes and the tremendously high amount of damage it can inflict on a body

The amount of revelations/hints about the true nature of the island and the coming conflict in the last five minutes

"Follow me."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 04:32:10 AM »

Oh, I've wondered about that too.

But I just chalk it up to hiking in thick, unknown jungle terrain is not like walking a walkathon on a marked course in the city.  They'd have to EACH lug enough food and water to last how ever long they'd be gone, for one thing. Plus, their footgear is all wrong for rugged hiking, they don't know where they're going and can't see any landmarks from under/over the jungle canopy most of the time.   Not to mention the giant creatures and polar bears wandering about, forcing them to probably either stick to day trips only or think about building a base camp out there for the extended hikes. I'm guessing(based on Sayid's trip) that a walk around the island, if possible, would be a week's trip at least.  That's a hell of a chance to take at this point, for what little possible gain?

I think it is within the realm of possibility IF Sayid, Locke, or even Kate was willing to lead the expedition. But as the plot is unfolding now, I don't see that happening. Sayid wants to go with maps in hand, Locke is into his own thing, and I don't think  the men can bring themselves to ask Kate to lead them, hehe.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 03:45:06 PM »

I'm guessing(based on Sayid's trip) that a walk around the island, if possible, would be a week's trip at least. That's a hell of a chance to take at this point, for what little possible gain? <<<<<

Well, walking in the surf around would not be an arduous trek through the jungle. A week of 20+ miles a day? That would make the island 150 miles around. They aren't on an island, they discovered a new continent!

tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 05:46:58 PM »

I'm guessing(based on Sayid's trip) that a walk around the island, if possible, would be a week's trip at least. That's a hell of a chance to take at this point, for what little possible gain? <<<<<

Well, walking in the surf around would not be an arduous trek through the jungle. A week of 20+ miles a day? That would make the island 150 miles around. They aren't on an island, they discovered a new continent!

Only if you consider something the size of Maui or half the size of the big island a continent.

Certainly there aren't any undiscovered islands that size left in the world, but as a basic premise of the show some suspension of disbelief is allowed.

They should be doing more to verify it.  If they're not going to find anything and don't want to blow air time on it, they don't need to actually show the trip or have the main characters participate, just tell us that a scouting party found nothing.  There are enough survivors for that.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 09:55:07 PM »

Sayid walked for 2 days to get to the Frenchwoman.

EDIT: Oops -- I double-checked the episode and you're right: Kate tells Jack that it's been almost two days since Sayid took off on his own.  Forget what I said.  :oops:

-Autistic Angel
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 10:23:44 PM »

Quote from: "TheGameAh"
A brother/sister kiss is kinda creepy (obviously I guess they're step)

uh, it was a bit more than a kiss....

Locke does indeed rule...and I am fast becoming a total Hurley fan...I have heard that ep 18 will be his back story.

Why aren't they looking for or seem worried about Claire?  Agreed.... even if they are worried about the Ethan threat, they could prob muster 10 guys to go looking.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 11:48:33 PM »

I don't want to beat a dead horse(too much anyways) but you are assuming that there will be no obstructions, like a rocky cliff, to walking around the entire island entirely on the beach.  If I were stuck on that island and considering a scouting trip(and personally, I WOULD do it), I would assume worst case- that at some point I would HAVE to head inland due to an impassable shoreline.  I would not plan on having my entire trip on soft sand, if it turned out that way-great, but I always plan worst case.  

I'd only walk during the cool parts of the day(morning/late afternoon), to save on water and avoid risk of  dehydration/sunstroke.  Plus, every so often I'd scout locally for emergency supplies of water and/or shelter and/or edibles, in case I got stuck out there for awhile. And of course, all this time I'm MAPPING, taking breaks sitting down drawing up what landmarks and other important info I see. Bottomline, I'd make far less progress than 20 miles a day, far less.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »

Duing her conversation with Sayid, the French woman said that her husband Robert "got sick" and started taking other members of their group into the woods one by one where they would also "get sick."

Is it just me, or does that sound a lot like what happened between Locke and Boone last week?

-Autistic Angel
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 03:15:24 AM »

I don't remember the 'one by one' part, I remember her saying they all got infected except her.  That does sound just like what Locke is doing now though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: