http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:51:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 11/16/05  (Read 1166 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:19:36 AM »

Whelp, I missed it tonight and completely forgot to set the VCR. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves as to what happend with the Tailies. After I've seen it through "alternative channels" I'll throw in my two cents. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 06:12:46 AM »

yet another disappointing episode for the season...you really didn't miss anything...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:17:15 AM »

I dug it. I still hate Anna Lucia, but I like the Tailies on the whole, and enjoyed the episode. He he, us Canadians sure are getting a bad rap on the show. The only part I didn't really gel with was the strange montage that recapped what happened once Sawyer and Michael found Jin. I didn't find it necessary. I wish they'd spent the airtime showing a little more of the moments after the one woman was lost climbing the cliff and up until they met up with Shannon.

Oh, and then there's this inviso-text from www.dharmainitiative.com :

Spoiler for Hiden:

Phase 3 Disclosure: The Dharma Initiative is not a secret international research project. You see, the island is part of another "dimension", I guess you'd call it, and is sort of "in between" the universes that are made of light matter and dark matter. We call it "Dharma". It's part of a whole planet that is pretty much available for colonization. It could also be used as a future conduit for inter-dimensional/intergalactic travel. The only problem is that we can't exist there naturally. The island only materializes when there's a solar eclipse. During that time the unique electromagnetic frequency added to the gravitational distortion allows both it and us to exist within the same space. But that "effect only lasts for 108 minutes, and then the island disappears from our world, taking any inanimate matter with it that's left behind.

If you were standing on the island after the primary eclipse period ended and the 108 minutes were up, you'd feel a great big suck of air and then "PLOP!" you'd fall right back into the ocean. Naked.

We are trying to change that. Actually, Majestic 13 developed a machine years ago that allows us to exist there. It's weird, but once us and the island "disappear" into the Dharma dimension, we have days and nights just like the earth one. But we can't travel more than 42 kilometers outside the machine's effective range.

The plan is to develop a way to genetically engineer animals with the right quantum frequency so they can exist in Dharma on their own. That's what the project is all about, and until now it's been classified.

The fictional tv series "Lost" is part of the worldwide disclosure plan.

Oooookaaaay. Curious to know how the fields at the bottom of the screen work. Especially the "unLocke" button.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 06:22:47 AM »

I thought the opening of this week's episode was interesting and familiar:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Close up of an eye. Camera pulls back, and it's Ana Lucia. She's floating in the ocean. She scrambles up the beach towards a man who is performing CPR on a woman. She kicks the man in the kidneys and steps on the woman's throat, breaking her trachea. Then she yells at the man.

She stumbles towards the tail section, where the engine is still running. There's some guy there, yelling "I can walk!" and dancing around his now useless wheelchair. She shoves him into the engine, turning him into a fine pink mist, and blowing up the tail section.

The explosion throws her a number of yards, and she lands in a heap right beside a hugely pregnant woman. She punches the woman right in the stomach, then turns to the big fat guy who was trying to help her and insults him for being such a big fat fatty Mcfatterson. Then she pokes him in the eye.

Then she is put in charge of everything due to her obvious leadership skills. (This was written by Dante at the Straight Dope).

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:33:38 AM »

Because it was about the tailies, I skipped Veronica Mars for this, man did I make a major mistake.

This episode was like a collection of everything that is bad about Lost.

First off, the entire episode was redundant, since nothing was shown to us that hadn't already been covered, OR couldn't have been covered with a few brief lines from the tailies to the regulars.  I was hoping for some really cool surpises, stuff we didn't get with the regulars, to justify the change in focus.
***spoilers

Basic logic went out the window too.   They get attacked right away, and yet later they have no sentries, no warning system, as they ALL apparently sleep at the same time. The guy gets let out of the hole, he gets told the WOMAN is going to 'hurt' him, and he asks "which way to the beach?"?  Gimme a break!  You know any guy would say "her hurt me? are you kidding me? I'm gonna get medieval on her ass for throwing me down there...right after I kick your ass for not letting me out immediately.".

The way the door to that bunker practically had a welcome sign on it, yet the others who have been trampling back and forth all over the place for who knows how long didn't know about it.  It makes me wonder about the pseudo-mystical way Boone and Locke found their bunker.  If it all turns out to be a coincidence...well, I was gonna say I would be pissed off but frankly I don't believe I will even be watching the show then.

The way that Ana whateverhernameis comes back from a life or death battle with an 'other' and doesn't say one word about it to anyone.

They never explain HOW they knew they were on the same island as the regulars, much less how they found their way back to them.  If the island is suddenly that small now that if you walk for a few days you can find anyone, that really raises the question of why the originals(with food, water, and 40 people as resources) hadn't already mapped the island.

I missed Veronica Mars for this!?!?  AHH!!!

BT here I come.

edit: Oh yeah, that was a BIG mistake on their part showing the capture of the three on the beach again(Lost is nothing if not repetitive though).  We got to see Sawyer and Mike pretending not to notice this huge group of feral people charging at them, then see Eko suddenly materialize right there on top of them.  Oh puhleeease!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:28:53 AM »

Im still curious about why the doors all have Quarintine written on the inside...as if those places are safe and the outside world is contaminated.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:41:44 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Im still curious about why the doors all have Quarintine written on the inside...as if those places are safe and the outside world is contaminated.

That's another thing-  why the hell do those doors have that written on them?  Think about it: you only have warnings like that posted when there's a chance that someone who doesn't know might be in the area.  

Now, how many people do you think were ever in those bunkers at any one time?  How many people would be there that would need that warning?  It seems likely to me that anyone on the inside of that bunker would know darn well what was going on- that's why they're in the bunker!  Couldn't they have a little biohazard sign on the door and tell their bunker people "don't open the marked doors"?  Did the show's producers really have to dumb it down to the point of putting a big ol' Quarantine mark on the doors?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »

terrible episode.  unfortunately i'm losing some interest in Lost.  they better pick it up or i'm gonna watch something else.  what a waste of time this episode was.  i'm in agreement of Ana as well..........i can't stand her character or acting.  i also thought it was rather silly to show "day 6" and then show something stupid and then 30 seconds later move to "day 9" and so on and so on and nothing significant happen.
funny thing was after about 30 minutes my wife says to me, "they might have jumped the shark on this episode.  why don't they just let the original survivors tell the other survivors story somehow".

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 02:45:50 PM »

I may be the only one who liked the episode.

I can't explain why or anything, I just liked it.  No, it wasn't anything earth shaking, but something about seeing the 48 days in fast forward that I dug.

Not much love for Lost lately...  Me, I'll keep watching for the forseeable future.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »

I thought last night was another solid episode.  I really liked the opportunity to *finally* hear directly from one of The Others, and the revelations put a whole new spin on a lot of the events we've seen so far.

It was...interesting to see a softer side of Ana Lucia, but frankly, unless she spent the entire episode resurrecting puppies and curing them of cancer, nothing was going to turn her into a likeable character.  I know they're going for "hardcore survivalist" with her character, but the continuing fact that she's willing to cut loose anyone who might slow her down makes it unclear why anyone else in her group would look to her as a leader.  Chalk it up to a vacuum of power in their camp -- it doesn't look like there was anyone else willing to make decisions for the group.  If Jack hadn't had Locke or Sayid to consult with or counterbalance his choices, and if his group had been actively hunted all along, maybe he would have turned out like Ana Lucia.  At least, that seems to be the idea the writers are shooting for.

Mr. Eko continues to rule all, and I don't just mean the character.  The actor (whose name I haven't discovered yet), already reminds me of Josh "Sawyer" Holloway best moments: they're such masters of body language, they can practically say more in silence than the others can say in a monologue.

Quote from: "gameoverman"
***spoilers

The guy gets let out of the hole, he gets told the WOMAN is going to 'hurt' him, and he asks "which way to the beach?"? Gimme a break! You know any guy would say "her hurt me? are you kidding me? I'm gonna get medieval on her ass for throwing me down there...right after I kick your ass for not letting me out immediately.".

Let me get this straight: after spending the better part of a week trapped at the bottom of a filthy pit with little water and even less food, you think wanting to escape and run away from the crazy woman with the long army knife is the *unrealistic* response?

I guess I only speak for myself, but I would have done exactly the same thing that Nathan did.

-Autistic Angel
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:54:32 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

I'm with ya, Dae. I've been wondering that same thing the moment they found the word on the inside of the hatch. As far as I'm concerned, the island is the uninhabitable area, and the bunkers are the safe zones.

Just wanted to say that I actually enjoyed the time-lapse narrative style of the episode. And I f-in' loved when Mr. Eko found his trusty weapon. And I'm still trying to understand the purpose of the list - and what it says for all of the characters we know and love if they haven't been taken yet.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 04:33:18 PM »

Well, "good people" doesn't necessarily have any moral connotation to it.  Desmond and Rousseau ("the French woman") could not possibly have come into contact with each other, yet they each talked about people "getting sick" on the island.  Perhaps a "good person" is someone who is more susceptible to catching that sickness....

I'm also interested in how Claire's baby is developing.  The psychic last season was adamant that she had to raise him herself, yet so far, it seems like Charlie and Locke have been doing most of the actual work.  It seems to me like they're sewing the seeds for something coming down the line with this.

-Autistic Angel
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 04:53:20 PM »

I'm praying they'll have a growing tension between Mr. Eko and Locke.  My two favorite characters, both have more survival skill than everyone else, and they have very different mindsets.  This has so much potential!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Quote from: "gameoverman"
***spoilers

The guy gets let out of the hole, he gets told the WOMAN is going to 'hurt' him, and he asks "which way to the beach?"? Gimme a break! You know any guy would say "her hurt me? are you kidding me? I'm gonna get medieval on her ass for throwing me down there...right after I kick your ass for not letting me out immediately.".

Let me get this straight: after spending the better part of a week trapped at the bottom of a filthy pit with little water and even less food, you think wanting to escape and run away from the crazy woman with the long army knife is the *unrealistic* response?

I guess I only speak for myself, but I would have done exactly the same thing that Nathan did.

-Autistic Angel

re running away:  If you are too weak to fight her, then you are too weak to go trampling through a strange jungle(with no map or compass) in the only obvious direction(the beach everyone knows) and keep away from her.  You have no way of knowing if that guy who let you out will ever spill his guts that "oh yeah, he said he was headed to the beach".

So yeah, she is a threat to you as long as she is alive, you HAVE to deal with her.  Logically, the best time to do that is immediately before she can find out you have escaped, since her knowing that would put her on her guard.  She has a small buck knife, so what? She's a woman for crying out loud!  Sneak up on her with a rock and let her have it.  A pile of others got into camp and grabbed those kids before she woke, so she can be had.  

Then you tell the other survivors she was insane and you are not an 'other', then tell them you will leave and go on your own if they don't feel comfortable having you around.  People were sneaking you food, and someone else let you out, obviously they are not comfortable with her behavior at that point.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 11:09:33 PM »

re running away: If you are too weak to fight her, then you are too weak to go trampling through a strange jungle(with no map or compass) in the only obvious direction(the beach everyone knows) and keep away from her. You have no way of knowing if that guy who let you out will ever spill his guts that "oh yeah, he said he was headed to the beach".

Sayid walked the beach for several days before stumbling on the cable that lead him to Danielle, and never discovered any evidence of any other survivors.  "The Beach" is not a small area to search.  Assuming Ana Lucia was actually willing to abandon this (apparently) safe jungle haven to go after you, her only reasonable chance at catching you is if you arrive on beach and promptly light a smoky signal fire to mark your location.

So yeah, she is a threat to you as long as she is alive, you HAVE to deal with her. Logically, the best time to do that is immediately before she can find out you have escaped, since her knowing that would put her on her guard. She has a small buck knife, so what? She's a woman for crying out loud! Sneak up on her with a rock and let her have it.

This sort of reasoning is exactly why people making out on the shores of Crystal Lake always go investigating strange noises in the nearby woods.

When someone nearby, female or not, is considering killing you with a knife, you and your lack-of-knife should move in a different direction as quickly as possible.  That's simply common sense.  If you're starving, dehydrated, and exhausted, that's more reason why picking this fight not a good idea.

Then you tell the other survivors she was insane and you are not an 'other', then tell them you will leave and go on your own if they don't feel comfortable having you around. People were sneaking you food, and someone else let you out, obviously they are not comfortable with her behavior at that point.

If the one person sneaking you food were willing to take your side in a fight against Ana Lucia, he would have let you out of the pit himself.  Assuming that the entire camp is willing to join your mutiny just because Person A snuck you a tiny amount of food and Person B was reluctantly willing to help you escape is a bad gamble.

You're on an island teeming with fruit trees, where oysters wash right up onto the shore.  On your own you can recoup your strength, find a weapon, and return to your group later on your own terms, maybe even speaking with people in privacy before Ana Lucia knows you've come back.  It just makes sense.

-Autistic Angel
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 11:59:18 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

You're on an island teeming with fruit trees, where oysters wash right up onto the shore.  On your own you can recoup your strength, find a weapon, and return to your group later on your own terms, maybe even speaking with people in privacy before Ana Lucia knows you've come back.  It just makes sense.

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, that sounds good EXCEPT how the heck would you ever find them again if you take time to relax and regain your strength at the beach?  They'll be long gone, or worse actually, because there will be someone in their group who knows more or less where you went(the beach in that direction) but you have no idea if they continued on or are searching for you(or even watching you) at that very moment.  You'd be at the major disadvantage.

In addition, the 'others' are still out there, you are by yourself, how are you gonna start a fire, boil water, cook food, build shelter, etc without giving away your location to either of TWO groups that mean you harm?

On the other hand, you can take the supplies from the spy, and walk away without a word.  That way he's free to assume you are running away, when you are really just going off far enough so they can't see you as you bide your time till they sleep.  At which point you sneak up on her and bash her brains in.

The LAST thing you'd do is announce your intentions to any of them(where's the beach?) then turn your back on any of them.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 12:12:55 AM »

Well, I'm in the camp that liked the show.  But then again, I have never once gotten fed up with Lost.  I like its continuing mystery, with just a little bit revealed about what is going on or someone's past each episode.

I was wondering who it was on the radio with Boone, now we know.  There may be other people who survived the plane crash, but it was the tail section that he briefly had contact with.

I still find myself annoyed that the show is over every week.  I suppose that when I find myself relieved that it is over, then I will know it is time to stop watching.

Veronica Mars wasn't all that great last night anyway, so you didn't miss a whole lot.  For some reason, they decided to suddenly start babysitting to figure out which child that Meg had been babysitting was being abused.  Nothing to do with the main story at all.  Mildly interesting conclusion to that plot, but nothing earth shattering.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: