http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:16:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 10/3  (Read 5643 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2004, 02:01:37 AM »

There at the end I swear Charlie looked like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi.

I was worried Charlie would'nt destroy the drugs.

I also had a bad feeling with that dumb selfish blonde left on the beach to take care of the rocket and signal.

And who the hell hit Said on the head?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:09:56 AM »

All great questions, Daehawk!
Excellent episode.

I say the pregnant chick nailed Saiid.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:15:49 AM »

Im sure the redneck bastard hit Sayid, its the only thing that makes sense.

Great episode, and some nice conflict for next week hinted in the teaser.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:16:51 AM »

I really enjoyed the episode..I wondered if the korean woman was going to give up the fact that she spoke english when the cave in happened.  I am really getting to like Locke.

All that said...my goodness next week looks like it is going to be an intense episode.
Coskesh
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 02:22:54 AM »

No way it was the redneck, if he was the one that hit Sayid then who fired off the 3rd rocket?

Had to be Locke.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:24:43 AM »

Locke was over by the cave talking to charlie..that doesn't work. it doesnt seem logical that he could get there and back so quickly...no no, that doesn't work.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 02:29:34 AM »

well, put it like this
who WOULDN'T want to leave the island? we may not know all we need to about all of the characters yet...

plus sayid was in next week's teaser so... it just seems like something we won't be able to figure out.
Loche is the only real suspect now IMO - but he's way too obvious.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 02:38:33 AM »

actually, it seems as we learn more about all the characters, quite a few seem to be better off on the island, having nothing to go home to.  Granted no one seems to enjoy the island as much as Locke, I do not see him as being the one who hit Sayid.
Winter's Holy Hand
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 02:57:17 AM »

Pretty good episode this week but I did think for a while that they might have gotten rid of Charlie. Since the creators have said that they plan on killing major characters, I thought they might have sacrificed him to save Jack. Glad they didn't.

I think the french woman who made the transmission is the one who used Sayid for baseball practice.

whh

np - genetic variation - we are the underworld
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 03:03:58 AM »

Next week's episode looks great.  The Iraqi looks like he gets medieval on Sawyer's buttocks.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 03:06:18 AM »

I thought about that Winter, but we'll see. When they throw in a twist like I that I prefer to wait until all the clues are in.

Outstanding episode, for the record. I'm really glad to see Dom can act as well as he can. It gives me a lot of hope for Charlie, and Dom's career, in the future. Glad to see Kate and Jack back on, though if they throw in a twist that he's gay I'm going to laugh my head off. smile

Sawyer's episode is coming up soon, and I hope it lives up to the title: "Confidence Man."

I also really dig Locke. Right now he and Charlie are my favorite characters on the island. Also, bonus points for hot Asian chick not wearing a lot. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Coskesh
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 03:36:49 AM »

Hmm, I thought the french woman was Eve (the female bones).. would be an interesting twist though, especially since the signal meter was showing that he was right on top of the source, though I'm no EE.
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 03:57:55 AM »

Lost is absolutely my favorite show on television right now.  Any thoughts on the brief conversation between Kate and Sayid in the woods about the incredible odds against any of them surviving the plane crash?  A little foreshadowing perhaps . . . Any chance there's going to be a Sixth Sense type plot twist here?  Maybe none of them really did survive the crash.  

Just a quick thought - I haven't really thought it out.  And actually, it probably doesn't fit with the fact that a number of them have been killed off since the crash.  Anyway, it's the first series I've seen in a while where I wasn't reasonably certain where the plot and all the character arcs were heading about three episodes in.  It rocks!

Another GoneGold refugee.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 04:14:35 AM »

I think the person that hit Sayed is an up-until-now unknown survivor that ended up at a different part of the island. He/She hit Sayed because she thought he caused the plane to crash through terrorism.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 04:31:18 AM »

Nice theory Ralph.... well not really, but it made me chuckle.

I think that we're not going to find out who hit Sayed for a while.  There is no way it was Sawyer (he was launching rockets and gettin busy to Kate by himself) and it would be extremely uncharacteristic of Locke to do that and he was on the otherside of the island dealing with the Boar.  I think it is some random person or thing from the island and he is just going to wake up confused and unsure of what happened.  Kinda weak but similar to Kate's criminal record.

All together, I didn't really enjoy this one.  That moth metaphor was real corny, and Charlie's back story was boring.  "Oh I can't quit the band so I'll smoke crack" ...what?

However, next weeks teaser looked awesome.  The episodes need a little violence or just something to up the stakes because right now it seems like everyone is pretty safe and happy.  Still think the series is awesome, only thing on TV I watch religiously...
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 06:51:04 AM »

Count me in on the "french chick did it" group.  Logistically, since they were triangulating, it seems that Sawyers out due to distances.  The same goes for Locke (though his whereabouts at the time is in question) who was apparently still by the caves.  Unless someone has an agenda we are not aware of (definately possible) or theres a character soon to be introduced that we are unaware of (also possible)  then the french chick is the best remaining option.  Just a thought to throw out, its beginning to look like people are here to find personal redemption.  Could they all be dead and in purgatory with redemption as their way in to heaven?  Of course, failing to acheive redemption leads to a much warmer clime.  Comments like Sayeed's "oods of survival" speech  reinforce this theory.  Perhaps these "survivors" were on the bubble so to speak, "lost" spiritually but not completely unredeemable.  Anyway great show and if Kate is in need of a sandwich I volunteer to be the meat!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 07:41:51 AM »

The purgatory theory doesn't seem to fit with some of the events:

- the US Marshall that lived long enough to have to be put out of his misery.  Was that his purgatory?

- the pilot that woke up in the cockpit and then was promptly yanked out and eaten by something.  I wouldn't want that purgatory.

- the pregnant woman who's about to give birth any day now.  Giving birth seems like an odd purgatory.

There does seem to be a definite push towards redemption for each character, but I'm hoping the driving force behind the self-reflection is more natural than supernatural.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 09:15:57 AM »

Loved this episode, when the brother left the sister in charge of the rocket I rolled my eyes like I bet everyone else did, we sure got fooled though, hehe.

Kate just looks too frickin' hot for words, damn I can't get enough of her. Her hair does that twirly thing I like so much.

I didn't recognize the hobbit's brother at first, when he was all cleaned up, I thought it was a third brother.

I loved the confession scene, the look on the priest face..."I had sex with a girl"..."then another girl"..."then watched THEM have sex"...I could see the wheels turning in the priest's head as he thought "ooohh, this is a good one!".

Poor Sayid, he is the only one really doing anything productive(besides maybe Locke's hunting) and something always comes up. BTW, I also think someone already on the island before them is the one who whacked him, not Locke or Sawyer.

Having fireworks(!?!?!) being the 'found' item off the plane this week was inventive, if somewhat bizarre.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 01:34:48 PM »

The fireworks annoyed me so much.  Here you've got perfect signal flares to use if you see a passing ship/plane, and you're using them up to signal when it's 5:00.  Kate has a watch, Sayid has a watch, you can't find a third one??  Other than that it was a fun episode, I'm loving this show more and more.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »

Amen gameoverman.  You hit it right on the head.  Whose the french chick?  The pregnant one?  I'm confused.

I like the idea of someone else on the island but the teaser for next week didn't give any hint of that, it actually looked like nothing happened in reference to it...
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 03:01:58 PM »

rshetts wrote:
Just a thought to throw out, its beginning to look like people are here to find personal redemption. Could they all be dead and in purgatory with redemption as their way in to heaven? Of course, failing to acheive redemption leads to a much warmer clime. Comments like Sayeed's "oods of survival" speech reinforce this theory. Perhaps these "survivors" were on the bubble so to speak, "lost" spiritually but not completely unredeemable.

Hey, that's my idea!!!  :evil:  See the post two before yours:

Kurth wrote:
Any thoughts on the brief conversation between Kate and Sayid in the woods about the incredible odds against any of them surviving the plane crash? A little foreshadowing perhaps . . . Any chance there's going to be a Sixth Sense type plot twist here? Maybe none of them really did survive the crash.

Brilliant minds think alike I suppose.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
The fireworks annoyed me so much.  Here you've got perfect signal flares to use if you see a passing ship/plane, and you're using them up to signal when it's 5:00.  Kate has a watch, Sayid has a watch, you can't find a third one??  Other than that it was a fun episode, I'm loving this show more and more.

Plus, what planes allow people to carry fireworks? Isn't that one of the strictly forbidden items to take on a flight?
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 05:57:06 PM »

"Plus, what planes allow people to carry fireworks? Isn't that one of the strictly forbidden items to take on a flight?"

Sayid (spelling?) did say "Thank god for people smuggling fireworks" or something to that effect.  So at least they are trying to keep stuff somewhat real.

I thought it was a great episode and was blown away when that stick nailed Sayid.  I can't decide on who it was that hit him.

If it was the blond hair guy that everyone hates why run and hit him?  Instead he could have just fired the rocket and then just not turned on the antenna if he wanted to stop it.  Plus it is unlikely he could have fired the rocket and then hauled ass over to hit Sayid with a stick.

Locke seems to be a good choice.  We think he was still hunting or whatever but really do not know.  He seems to love it on the island and would be a likely choice of someone to try and stop everyone from being rescued.  From the other episodes though this just seems too easy.

The french chick could be the one but if she is still alive and has been waiting for 16+ years to be rescued why in the hell would she just go up and crack someone in the head?

Now on to another subject I was wondering about.  Was it just me or why was it that Locke seemed so cool and calm about Jack being buried in the cave.  He just was like oh well, is anyone helping?  Oh thats cool.  It just seemed strange that he never even went to try and help at all.  Maybe I am just looking to much into it.

Can't wait til next week!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »

Now on to another subject I was wondering about. Was it just me or why was it that Locke seemed so cool and calm about Jack being buried in the cave. He just was like oh well, is anyone helping? Oh thats cool. It just seemed strange that he never even went to try and help at all. Maybe I am just looking to much into it.

Here's what I suspect. He knows something that has put him at peace. Not worried about food, water, rescue, or the big scary monster.  He knew that Charlie was there for a different reason and that put him on the defensive. Also he struck me as being logical, so he would know that the rest of the survivors are doing everything in their power to help Jack what could he contribute but another body. At least those are just my suspicions.

Ascendent
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 06:12:12 PM »

Someone's running a facility on the island, possibly some kind of research facility, genetic experiments, that kind of thing.  The French woman's broadcast is a lure to get people either onto the island, or to a certain spot in the first place.  I'm thinking Sayed got to that spot, and the knock on the head was them capturing him, and they're going to do something to him while he's out.  The research station also keeps various animals for experimentation, hence the polar bear and whatever the big thing is that keeps crashing around.  The researchers decided they wanted humans to experiment on, so they screwed with the plane's instruments and crashed them on the island.

That's my theory, anyway.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2004, 07:04:04 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Here's what I suspect. He knows something that has put him at peace. Not worried about food, water, rescue, or the big scary monster.  He knew that Charlie was there for a different reason and that put him on the defensive. Also he struck me as being logical, so he would know that the rest of the survivors are doing everything in their power to help Jack what could he contribute but another body. At least those are just my suspicions.

Ascendent

I agree that Locke is at peace. He knows his place in the world at last, and that's a place he's wanted to be all of his life. As such, he's 100% good to go on the Isle of the Lost so he's not worried about anything. He does seem to know more about other people than he should, and that's what got me to thinking about when he saw the Heart of the Island. In that moment he understand, and he knew his place. I think Locke will become more of the spiritual guide for everyone, nudging them at just the right time towards the right decision. Now, whether he does so for good or evil remains to be seen.

If the French chick or whomever else is still on the island shows up as a counter to Locke, then we'll have the villain of the show. No longer will I place the Uber-Villain tag on Locke's shoulders, because I don't think he will be.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2004, 07:12:47 PM »

Locke is god. it all fits smile

Keep in mind we did'nt actually see Sawyer fire the firework off..we only saw the rocket fly up into the air...anyone coulda lit it.

Maybe the pregnant chic's baby is the french girl!...hehehe

Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2004, 07:15:03 PM »

Based on the way the plane broke-up in mid air, I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that researchers on the island caused the crash by screwing with its instruments.  Rather, I think the nature of the crash would suggest mechanical failure.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2004, 09:32:20 PM »

I figure Locke somehow knows what is going on, that is why he didn't rush to help Jack. He knew Jack's ultimate fate wasn't going to be decided by whether or not he had enough people digging.  He DID save Jack at the cliff because he knew Jack still hadn't faced his inner demon, for want of a better term.

I don't think Locke is the one who put the boom on Sayid mainly because that seems so inelegant for Locke, Locke has more style than that.
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2004, 09:46:28 PM »

Locke has a mystical/religious view of the island.  "The Island will provide what you are looking for." is what he said to Charly on the previous episode.  I think that Locke believes that whatever happens to anyone on island is because that person wants it to happen.  That's why he is so nonchalant about Jacks cave-in.

If you were in a similar situation as Locke, wouldn't you have a similar outlook on events?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2004, 11:00:09 PM »

Quote from: "Geezerone"
Locke has a mystical/religious view of the island.  "The Island will provide what you are looking for." is what he said to Charly on the previous episode.  I think that Locke believes that whatever happens to anyone on island is because that person wants it to happen.  That's why he is so nonchalant about Jacks cave-in.

If you were in a similar situation as Locke, wouldn't you have a similar outlook on events?

If I were Locke, I'd be working Kate, forget the metaphysical and supernatural stuff.  Sure he's a little old for her, but he's fit, in good shape, a natural leader, he could do it!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2004, 03:22:54 AM »

Just watched it with my wife and it was a good episode.  I'm dying to know who the stick-person was.  And the biggest question:
Where was the hot pregnant Aussie chick???
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2004, 03:45:18 AM »

with all the talk of personal desires being fulfilled, i'm surprised noone has mentioned the fact that the cave-in happened right when charlie started yelling at jack.  coincidence?  or manifestation of charlie's anger?

just something more to think about...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
with all the talk of personal desires being fulfilled, i'm surprised noone has mentioned the fact that the cave-in happened right when charlie started yelling at jack.  coincidence?  or manifestation of charlie's anger?

Good insight!  Now my brain is starting to get confused again, things are...getting...foggier...again.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2004, 04:08:18 AM »

Well, it was sayid, sawyer, kate, and charlie that know about the signal being running for 16 years. and Kate later told jack.  Nobody else knows that we know of. However, I see no point to finding the signal, it is unlikely to do anything to get them off the island and Locke doesn't even know about it.  In order to trianglulate on something you have to know for certain it is inside the triangle you are creating. How in the hell, can they possibly know that? If they did it would be easier just to search and this wouldn't use up their resources.  

Spoiler......

The french girl is listed on the character list for future episode and she is to be played my Mia furlong, from Babylon 5.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004, 04:12:18 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

The rocket was so they would know for sure he was ready and in position. He just said he wouldn't fire the rocket before 5.  And also so he wouldn't turn his antenna on at 5 and waste it when the other 2 weren't ready. Or 2 of the 3 turning on when the third wasn't ready.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2004, 04:21:43 AM »

I think it was the polar bear with the stick in the field! Do I win at Clue!? See he was looking for some payback.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2004, 05:06:34 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"

I think Charlie even yelled out that he was a rock god, referring to his band, and then the rocks came tumbling down.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2004, 02:45:04 PM »

No one has broguth up Locke's resemblence of to Christianity and Christ.  The whole "Charlie I you'll have to ask me three times"  reminds me of peter disowning Jesus three times.  

By no means is this post supposed to open a religious discussion..just a thought.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2004, 03:38:51 PM »

Well my analysis is that the whole thing was a test for Charlie which Locke had insight into.  It starts with the moth in the cocoon analogy in which Locke points out that the moth shouldn't emerge until it is ready.  Locke could help it but that would just mean a weak moth would emerge.

So there is the cave-in and Charlie enters the cave and is trapped in the tight space just like being in the cocoon.   He stays until he gets a feeling of worth from Jack's praise of his actions and then the moth enters the area to show his the way out.  The last part with him pushing his way through the dirt was the completion of his metamorphosis which symbolically gave him the strength to start fresh (like the rest of the people's back stories are pointing toward)

Two things that I would have loved to see:
1) Charlie struggling to get himself free from the hole with Locke standing and watching dispassionately to see if Charlie has the strength and will to do it himself and being fine to let him stay trapped if he does not.

2) Charlie getting the drugs from Locke and then just heading into the jungle with them.  The whole moth deal was a nice symbolic arc but it would have been cool to have Charlie go through all that crap and still realize he is not his own master.  Probably just the cynic in me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: