http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:52:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 10/27/04  (Read 4237 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2004, 12:08:04 AM »

Episode name: House of the Rising Sun.

Guess who it deals with? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »

Well, if it was Waffle House of the Rising Sun I'd have a fairly good idea.  biggrin

Kind of a ho-hum episode, still good, but the worst of the bunch so far. Intersting split of the crew, can'r wait to see how they play that out.

The Korean people's story is different than I thought it would be.

Oh, and Jack may be gay. Scratch that. He is gay.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 01:13:44 AM »

Man someone always beats me to these posts  smile

Best part of the episode was when the druggie was giving Kate her shirt back and she says "It was filled with bees" and he replies " Filled with C's" hahaha got a good chuckle out of that one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 01:14:59 AM »

Yeah, I was kinda surprised there. I'm not sure what the Korean version of the Yakuza is, but I'm guessing her husband was an enforcer in it and her dad was fairly high up in it. The Hurley headphones gag might run out fairly quick, so the musical montage enders JJ Abrahms likes so much (I lost count of them in Alias) might have to come to a quick halt.

Overall, struck me a filler episode, though the Asian actress did a terrific job of the silent heart break in the airport.

I'm also loving how they are tying in all the characters and events. Maybe I'm just a continuity hound, but I love stuff like that. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:20:10 AM »

The hours approaching, just give it your best
You got to reach your prime.
That’s when you need to put yourself to the test,
And show us a passage of time,
Were going to need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Sure a lot of things happing at once,
With mind, everyone what’s going on (what’s going on?)
And when every shot you show a little improvement
Just Show it or it will take to long
that’s called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,
You want a montage (montage)
even rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,
If you fade out, it seem like more time
Has passed in a montage,
Montage
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:28:01 AM »

the last 3 espisodes have done little for me, this show better get a little more interesting (maybe solve a mystery or two) or I may remove my season pass.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 01:35:05 AM »

I thought the asian lady was a mail order bride at first.  Proven wrong, unfortunately.

Though I liked the episode, whats the deal with we're being attacked by bees...okay, lets take our shirts off!  Ummm... I was fine with it in the end for obvious reasons.  And I don't think she needs a sandwich.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 04:03:52 AM »

I was also confused by the logic in the "we're being pursued by a swarm of bees so lets rip our clothes off" decision.  Why didn't Locke and Pippin (or is it the other hobbit?) rip their clothes off too?  That would've been funny if the two of them strolled into the cave with their shirts off as well.

I thought this episode was kind of a snorer.  I'm not sure if they're intending him to look like this, but Jack seems borderline nutso at this point.  With the split of the 2 camps, I hope they don't start doing a Lord of the Flies rip off.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:07:46 AM »

It's funny, when everyone was raving about this show I wasn't buying it but now I think it's hitting its stride and actually becoming enjoyable.

Kate in her underwear in what, 2 out of 5 episodes so far? Good job!

The Doc guy must not be into women(nothing wrong with that) cause Kate was there for the taking on their little hike and he was  having none of that.

This show just works better when they focus on the characters and their survival/exploration on the island. I've noticed the minute the Giant Creatures or French Girl's message subplots take center stage, it all turns to crap.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 04:10:57 AM »

Oh, what do you guys think the black and white stones from off the skeleton's body that Jack put in his pocket?

He seems to think they are significant, kept them out of Locke's sight.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 04:29:41 AM »

Stuff like the stones I've learned to not worry about.  In real life there's absolutely NO reason for Jack not to have immediately shown anything he found to everyone, so this must be one of those 'we'll show you why it's important later' things this show is filled with.  

Obviously, it ties into Locke's dark vs light backgammon thing but I'm not sure if Jack knows that Locke has that on his mind. Because of their previous talk, I am sure Jack knows Locke is more in tune with whatever is going on in the island than anyone else, so that may be why he's holding off on it for now- to try make some sense of it before showing it to Locke.

edit: just a thought, maybe it's something personal, maybe even from his dad and that's why he hid it.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 04:49:17 AM »

When I saw the stones the first thing I thought of was those look like Roman voting stones and maybe those dead people are Romans. But then there was only 2 of them so guess not. And I thought he put them back in the pouch and replaced it.

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 06:17:32 AM »

I thought it was a good solid episode.  The show has definitely taken a turn from the pilot episodes with the thriller part taking a backseat to the personal stories.  Since it still a well done show either way and I am liking it.

I am a little confused since a couple episodes back the Korean woman asked Korean man 'Who is going to tell us what to do?"  I kind of thought they had escaped from North Korea or something.  The line doesn't really seem to make a whole lot of sense in the context of this episode.

I am wondering what the black guy's twist is going to be.  Right now he is being played as the deadbeat, absentee father but with the way the show has been going that probably won't be the truth.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 12:01:12 PM »

I liked the episode.  Filling in the main character's backstories is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.  This needs to be done in order to make the choices each character makes on the island come from somewhere.  The more we understand about their past, the more "real" they seem, at least to me.

Jack's story must be rather intense.  They certainly are trying to portray him as a very complex character.  He's tough for me to get any type of bearing on.  The Jack/Kate substory could be fun if they do it right.  Hurley: "So what's up with you and Kate?"  /halfsmile.   I love it!

My favorite characters are quickly becoming the Iraqi and the troublemaker guy (forget his name).  I truly hope these two are serious badasses, and they just haven't revealed it yet.  They stayed together on the beach, which really surprised me.  Makes you wonder if their decision was based on where Kate decided to park herself.  I love the way he has nicknames for them.  "Doc", "Freckles", "Sticks", etc...

Still liking the show alot.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 01:02:50 PM »

Liked the episode as well.  I believe I would have stayed on the beach though.  At least for a little while longer.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »

What suprised me is that Kate and the Iraqi guy, knowing that the previous "lost" people had been stranded for over 16 years decided to stay on the beach.  They kept that knowledge from everyone else, but knowing it would make me want to find safe haven.  Oh and Kate and Jack on the hike, hell she practically throws herself at him and he completely muffs the catch?!  Did he lose his balls in a surgical accident or something?  The dudes got some serious issues, thats for sure.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 02:19:45 PM »

Quote from: "rshetts"
What suprised me is that Kate and the Iraqi guy, knowing that the previous "lost" people had been stranded for over 16 years decided to stay on the beach.  They kept that knowledge from everyone else, but knowing it would make me want to find safe haven.  Oh and Kate and Jack on the hike, hell she practically throws herself at him and he completely muffs the catch?!  Did he lose his balls in a surgical accident or something?  The dudes got some serious issues, thats for sure.

Yep.  Surpised me too.  Kate definately has fears of not feeling "free" or something.  Maybe the caves make her feel "locked up" someway.  Maybe the Iraqi guy wants to be the leader of the group, and knows it's damn near impossible while Jack is around....  Even when he doesn't want to lead, they seem to look to him.  who knows?

I think the Kate/Jack "tension" thing is mostly for the women who watch the show that want that suspense of "are they going to get together?  Will it work out?  They want each other but can't be together..."  You know, all that bullshit.  Abrams is great at doing that crap in ALIAS too.  Christ, the whole Sydney/Vaughn thing is enough to make you vomit, although I really like that show too.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »

Don't have much time to discuss the episode right now, but I definitely liked it.

Highlights were Said's bodycheck of the korean guy. It took a long time for someone to finally help the black guy, but whoopdiddy, Said came flying in smile
Kate in bra = never wrong. Jokes about Kate's breasts = also never wrong.

It wasn't an episode that added lots of "food for thought" sadly, which is what I'm enjoying most about this series so far, but the character development on the koreans was welcome indeed. And yeah, great acting by the Korean girl on the airport.

HELLO!
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 04:35:30 PM »

I actually think Kate staying on the beach has more to do witih not wanting to become attached to Jack than wanting to wait for rescue.  Remember that line she said about "not wanting to be Eve?"
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 06:31:30 PM »

It sucks writing about the same thing on 3 different forums now but anyway.

My take on the split originally posted at Qt3.

I can understand why Jack & Locke wanted to move inland. Jack just wants to be practical and prepared incase they are there for a long time, why he didn't think about a signal fire crew I don't know. Locke probably has no desire to leave the island as this is the best thing to happen to him. The Koreans moving inland doesn't make much sense considering we have seen the Korean catch fish with his bare hands unless it is just because the Black guy Mike and the Iraqi stayed on the beach. The guitar player, forgot his name, really was never informed of the move. He and Locke were left behind to sort the luggage and didn't know there was going to be a move, he could stay or go to the beach and I didn't see the pregnant woman all episode, he seems taken with her and would probably go where she goes. Fat kid just does whatever Jack does because he sees him as the most capable.

My take on the people who stayed on the beach is that they really just don't want to admit that they may be there longer than they wish. Moving inland away from the majority of the wreckage and the signal fire would be admitting to themselves that they could be there for awhile. Kate's statement of not wanting to be Eve was her way of saying she isn't ready to start building what could end up being the beginning of their civilization, so she stayed on the beach.

I would think after the beach crew has to keep making trips into the jungle for the water, and they should be the ones to do it, sooner or later they will realize the impracticality of living on the beach. I would think the signal fire crew idea would come up then. In all I don't think this split will last very long.

Here is my tongue in cheek theory originally posted on OO about the whole Black & White backgammon and found stones plot.

I just had an epiphany, didn't Locke have a conversation with Mike's boy about things being Black & White in the first or second episode. Let's see, miracles happen to people, Big ass thing shaking the trees, Locke brings back food after maybe seeing the tree shaking beast but we neither see him kill the boar or actually see the beast. I think I've hit on it, the producers are Peter Molyneux fans and the Black & White reference was a clue on the nature of the tree shaking beast which will end up being a giant Cow that is ordered around by a free floating hand that can produce miracles.  :lol:

Finally, I think episodes like last nights are needed to bring about more character developement.  We are getting back story on the main cast slowly and this lets us in on how much their previous life is dictating their actions on the island and how much is the islands and crashes doing.  With series TV revealing the heart of mysteries too soon always seems to mean lower ratings a few weeks later because there isn't the mystery to look forward to any longer.

Formerly SJSharks
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 08:20:15 PM »

Ok, here's a radical theory.

The bodies in the cave were...........THEIRS!
They entered some sort of time warp/parallel world thing when they crashed.
Leatherneck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 08:24:33 PM »

Started watching the series after missing the first two episodes.  (Damn I wish there were encore showings during the weekend for us workaholics)

Anyways the show has got me hooked and indeed the Korean woman's acting in the airport was great, even brought a tear to my wife's eye.  

Does anyone have any theories on what the Korean guy's (and his Father-in-Law's) job really is?  I remember the line he told his wife "I do anything your father tells me to do"

What kind of hold does the father have over him?  All because of a unapproved marriage?  There has to be more, but I doubt we won't find out for a long time or at all.

Semper Fidelis
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 11:50:17 PM »

Quote from: "Leatherneck"
Started watching the series after missing the first two episodes.  (Damn I wish there were encore showings during the weekend for us workaholics)

Anyways the show has got me hooked and indeed the Korean woman's acting in the airport was great, even brought a tear to my wife's eye.  

Does anyone have any theories on what the Korean guy's (and his Father-in-Law's) job really is?  I remember the line he told his wife "I do anything your father tells me to do"

What kind of hold does the father have over him?  All because of a unapproved marriage?  There has to be more, but I doubt we won't find out for a long time or at all.

Actually, ABC has been pretty good about re-running the episodes on Saturday nights so you might want to check that out to catch up.

I figure her dad was in the Korean version of the Yakuza.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 06:10:47 AM »

For me, it is enough to know(or think actually) that once you go to work for Sun's dad, he owns you. The look on her face when he told Sun he was now working for her dad says it all. Whatever she is, he was the guy from the wrong side of the tracks, a rebel. Once he worked for her dad, I see her thinking 'he's no longer the bad boy that daddy doesn't want me seeing'.

Personally, I see no reason for anyone, except Kate & the Iraqi and the Racist dude, to pass on the caves. The Doc is there, the hunter and his knives are there(ie fresh meat), the WATER is there, it's more sheltered than the beach, heck they even got frickin' music!  The two guys of course go wherever Kate goes.  I think Kate is more concerned with the adventure, the creatures/French girl's message/exploring the island, than building a permanent camp. Fortifying that cave and building a camp there is gonna take some time and work-energy that could be applied to those other things Kate wants to do.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 04:22:09 PM »

Im surprised everyone is'nt sunburned toa crisp from being on the beach 24/7

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 10:00:29 PM »

The sunburn thing is in the same category as what 40+ people have been drinking, eating, and sleeping in for those first few days.  Also, what they use for a toilet.  Also, what they had been shaving with prior to finding Locke's knives, plus make-up for the women.  It's stuff they might briefly mention, such as when the Racist dude had the insect repellent, but don't really get into.  That's fine by me, I really don't want to see Kate with hair poking out everywhere after all, even if it would be more realistic.  Some stuff it's just better to let them have a pass on is my reasoning.

Watching Survivor, where the people have guaranteed food and water AND aren't lost, allows you to see how quickly they devolve into grungy, dirty irritable people.  

The people on Lost haven't got anywhere near that level, even though by all rights they should be worse off.  Like I said though, I'm willing to let it slide for the most part. Part of the reason is that they are using that Robinson Crusoe method of having the survivors 'find' whatever they happen to need for that episode in the wreckage of their vehicle. Fresh clothing, knives, an axe, medicine, a gun, water bottles, plus alot more is sure to come. So I just pretend they found some suntan lotion and toilet paper in there somewhere too.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 11:35:34 PM »

Yeah all that crap they found in the plane does'nt make you feel safer flying does it?  Tongue

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 12:21:32 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Yeah all that crap they found in the plane does'nt make you feel safer flying does it?  Tongue

Well, considering that the plane split in half then crashed into the ground, no I wouldn't really feel safer about air travel despite finding a comb and some SPF35 in the luggage. smile

Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 01:35:44 AM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
Ok, here's a radical theory.

The bodies in the cave were...........THEIRS!
They entered some sort of time warp/parallel world thing when they crashed.

Not bad. My first thought was actually that the body was Jack's father's body, that was strangely missing from the coffin he smashed up. Then they showed the female body, so that theory went out the window.

HELLO!
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

Well any show or movie usually requires some suspension of disbelief. Some way more than others.  Although, usually all the girls having makeup and their hair fixed and perfect teeth in historical pictures, for some reason bothers me more than more sci-fi aspects, like the polar bear being on a tropical island.  Is it even possible to have a spring on an island?  Since a spring comes up from the water table below ground, it doesn't even seem possible that a fresh water spring could exist on an island.  There are plenty of others in this show. A jet engine pulls about 30 gallons of fuel a minute. Separated from it's fuel supply sticking in the sand it would stay running for, about 2 seconds.  Do they have fire axes on a plane? The wheelchair would have been stowed in a closet in the front of the plane, so wouldn't have been around. Nobody saw the guy in the wheelchair board the plane or in the terminal before the flight? Not possible. Fires are one they do in tons of movies and shows. A fire doesn't just burn consistantly unless it has propane attached to it. They will have debris or even rocks or whatever just sit and burn for looks all the time and they burn consistantly, because they have propane attached to them.  biggrin  Good show tho, I am liking it, not sure how long they can keep it up.  The first 8 episodes of Earth 2 were great too, till they started doing the dream sequences every week. Getting stranded is kinda a one trick pony.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Since a spring comes up from the water table below ground, it doesn't even seem possible that a fresh water spring could exist on an island...

:?:

There are plenty of waterfalls on islands, especially volcanic ones (that tend to have a higher summit).  
Here are some pictures.

Besides, we've gotten absolutely no sense how large the 'island,' if it even is an island, is.  It seems quite large from their exploits.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2004, 09:29:41 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2004, 10:08:09 PM »

As for water on an island Im guessing it has more to do with the size of an island. Ive always wondered where fresh water comes from on small islands...hell i even wonder that about Hiwaii but as you know Hiwaii and other islands do have plenty of fresh water on them. sure would be a bitch to constantly have to ship in water would'nt it biggrin

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2004, 11:06:02 PM »

It's not always rain water.  Some islands have clouds shrouding the top, creating 'rain forests' so to speak, which cause waterfalls.  Besides, again, we have no concept of where their island is, or if it is even on earth, which seems unlikely at this point.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
As for water on an island Im guessing it has more to do with the size of an island. Ive always wondered where fresh water comes from on small islands...hell i even wonder that about Hiwaii but as you know Hiwaii and other islands do have plenty of fresh water on them. sure would be a bitch to constantly have to ship in water would'nt it biggrin

Well someplace like Hawaii that has an economy and money, they could use desalination units and just use seawater. Not sure where Hawaii gets it's water, some of the smaller islands might just use desalination units. More primitively, you could just boil the seawater, put a tarp over the top to catch the steam rising and set it up so the steam then drips down around to some kind of catcher and you could then make freshwater. The salt doesn't boil nor attach to the rising steam.  You can also make salt this way too.  Once all the water boils away, you are left with just salt.  Obtaining salt would only be slightly less important than getting food, as within a month without any salt you will die and be sick before that.

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 01:44:38 PM »

Well Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii is actually tall enough to have a snow pack during part of the year.  The topology of volcanic islands is fairly mountainous and when storms pass and hit the peaks they dump rain and plenty of it.   The oceans around Hawaii get 15-20 inches a year while on the islands it rains 15x that amount in places.

If you go to an island like Maui half of the island is very dry and bare while the other is very lush and covered with tropical plants with plenty of waterfalls.    Also, like Balshazaar said, there are cumulus clouds that form over places that dump rain as well.   I've been there twice and both times I got more rain than I really wanted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: