http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 10/13/04 - HOLY CRAP!!!!!  (Read 7769 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:02:33 AM »

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who saw that ending coming? Not I!!! Locke is now so high on my list of fascinating characters it's not even funny.

I'm dying now to see who the Mystery Guy in Sneakers is, I'm dying to see where the elderly woman's husband is, and I'm dying to find out where the transmission is coming from. Whoo-hoo!!!! I haven't felt that a show has this much potential since Alias first kicked my ass during its first season. Please do not let this train go off the tracks, you hear me JJ Abrahms?!?!?!

thumbsup  thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 01:10:43 AM »

My wife actually called the Locke thing at the beginning.  As he was laying on the beach after the crash looking at his shoe she saw his shoe was new and said he was paralized before the crash.

We couldn't believe it when she called it right.

Still enjoying this show alot. smile
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 01:16:47 AM »

My wife said the same thing and I thought she was crazy.  Then when he was on the bed (flashback) I thought it looked like he was missing both legs.  I guess I was wrong about that but the wife was right.

The only gripe I and wife have with the show is that it seems like there are more commercials than normal.

Regards,
Pig
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »

I told my wife while we were watching that his "Helen" would turn out to be a call girl.  :lol:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:26:09 AM »

Remember how they kept showing the wheelchair so much in the episode with them using it to carry firewood.

I enjoyed it but as I said to the wife I hope they move on from the beach and stop acting like idiots. Its getting kinda old. Also they want to kill pigs..uhh hello..you're stranded...why not capture them and raise new ones to keep them in stock..duhhh....hello mcfly.

That blonde sister girl is getting on my nerves..i hope she starves and they eat her...most fitting.

And they guy in the suit that appears near the woods..thats justa really shy Mr Rourke....he's probably pacing back and forth in the woods trying to get up his.."Welcome to...no no...WEElcome..no thats not it...."

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:51:36 AM »

Saw LOST for the first time tonight - mainly due to the forum effect here getting me interested in it.

Seems like a pretty good show, I'm curious now about whatever the giant thing in the jungle was, and the mysterious suit guy.

As for Locke - yeah I saw that one coming as soon as he stared at his feet after jumping out of the way from the boar. Saw that, and immediately realized that in all the flashbacks we had always seen him sitting with his lower half always obscured.

Still was interesting. Is it a mini-series? i.e. is there going to be an ending coming soon?
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 01:56:08 AM »

Locke... love the guy

1. TPS Reports... what a stitch! Of course you immediately think of Office Space

2. "Helen" - ya I guessed she was phone sex girl too. Pretty easy call.

3. The "big surprise" - I didn't see that one coming.

4. Hey, he DID see the mysterious machine, don't BS me man!

5. Sneaker man... who the heck is he?

6. The Lady's Husband... hmmmm

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 02:08:35 AM »

How have you guys seen this?  The debates are still on where I am. (Montana)

/prays it airs after . . .
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 02:10:05 AM »

Awesome.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 02:17:59 AM »

Now that I've had time to think about it, forthwith are the highlights:

The knife throwing and the big box of really cool knives

"Oh yeah, that's really how you fend for yourself, Shannon."

"Who is this guy?"

Hurley fishing

"You misrepresented yourself."

The board game.

"Don't tell me what I cannot do!"

The reveals about Locke's life and who he really was.

"Have you finished those TPS reports?"

The flashback to Locke's take on the crash

"I bought... two tickets."

"They're probably thinking the same thing about us."

The Man In Suit

Terry O'Quinn proving that there's officially no part I don't think he couldn't play, except maybe Jenna Jameson in a biography.

The fact that I can't wait to see next week's episode, which is about as ringing an endorsement as I can give a television series.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 03:22:41 AM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Locke... love the guy

1. TPS Reports... what a stitch! Of course you immediately think of Office Space

I thought that was great too.  Terry O'Quinn is the man, great casting for Locke.  

I fell into the trap of thinking Locke was an old grizzled special forces retiree, and I loved how the writers immediately played on my wrong assumption right at the start of his flashback.  Perfect.  I guess I'm a knucklhead, because Locke's miracle he spoke of in the first episode surprised me tonight.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 04:03:31 AM »

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

I loved it.  Locke has the potential to be one of the best characters EVER.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 04:06:57 AM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
How have you guys seen this?  The debates are still on where I am. (Montana)

/prays it airs after . . .

It's called time zones
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 04:40:10 AM »

Meh, I'm giving it one more episode, if they don't start telling me something about what's going on, that's it for me.

***spoilers***

So he's been dealing with that situation for four years, and that's his chair?  Um, wouldn't he have his own by now, that looked like a rental or something he stole from a hospital.  

So the crash 'cured' him, this leads me to really believe they didn't 'crash' as such after all. Or his condition wasn't permanent, even after four years. Because taking this 'suddenly cured' scenario at face value is beyond suspension of disbelief. Not to mention, if I could suddenly walk again after FOUR years confined to a wheelchair, no one around me would ever hear the end of it, I'd be so excited-crash or no crash. I don't understand why he's all quiet, especially with all these scared, vulnerable women around for him to latch on to.  Not to mention that 4 years of muscle atrophy might prevent him from standing again, much less walking, even if he did get feeling back in his legs.

It was kind of funny watching them fight over peanuts because they have no food, then apparently sit around and put all their faith in Locke's ability to get a pig. Because I certainly didn't see anyone make an effort to scavenge even a small morsel of anything. Charlie and Hurley fishing doesn't count, since that was ONLY done because of the girl manipulating them into it. And she only did that to prove her brother wrong, not because they need food or anything.  :roll:

Seriously, no one does anything on this show that makes sense.   No mention of Polar bear meat when they knew they had no food, if it wasn't for the Iraqi guy we wouldn't even have any reason to believe they give a crap about the mysterious French girl's message.  And to plant the antenna, why do it secretly on a pig hunt? How do you know the pig hunt won't take you to the worst place to put the antenna? Why not go off on a mission to SPECIFICALLY plant the antenna? Who's gonna even give a crap what you're up to? Those people are all into their own little worlds from what I see.

I'm not getting what people are seeing in this show so far.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 04:47:51 AM »

Y'all need to read some South American magical realism books and loosen up a bit.     smoke
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 05:16:26 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
***spoilers***

So he's been dealing with that situation for four years, and that's his chair?  Um, wouldn't he have his own by now, that looked like a rental or something he stole from a hospital.  

So the crash 'cured' him, this leads me to really believe they didn't 'crash' as such after all. Or his condition wasn't permanent, even after four years. Because taking this 'suddenly cured' scenario at face value is beyond suspension of disbelief. Not to mention, if I could suddenly walk again after FOUR years confined to a wheelchair, no one around me would ever hear the end of it, I'd be so excited-crash or no crash. I don't understand why he's all quiet, especially with all these scared, vulnerable women around for him to latch on to.  Not to mention that 4 years of muscle atrophy might prevent him from standing again, much less walking, even if he did get feeling back in his legs.

Could the paralysis have been psychological instead of physical?

I'm not sure what I think of it.  There are some moments of briliance...but it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 05:32:00 AM »

Thinking about his character, his 'fantasy' life, it COULD be consistent that his condition was mental. I could buy that, that somehow the shock of the crash, either physically or mentally, caused him to snap out of whatever mental fugue he was in.   I don't like the details surrounding this revelation though. Like the fact that I would think someone would remember the guy in the wheelchair and HOLY COW, he's walking now! Or that his chair was so generic, instead of something that you could believe he has lived with for years, especially if it was in his supposed long range planning for a walkabout. I would think he'd have something specialized for athletic activity.

And them using the chair, with its skinny wheels, on SAND to haul wood is just hilarious.  

I think it was cheap to not give us even a quick glimpse of what he saw, but that's just me, maybe others like that sort of thing.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 05:35:56 AM »

You know what, I get the feeling Locke loves it on the island.  At home, he has to listen to his young punk boss and file TPS reports.  On the island, he's the hunter, the guy with survival knowledge, an important man.

I think he's eventually going to do something to further the group being stranded on the island.  Sabotaging Sayid's attempts at radio contact, or something along those lines.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 05:40:07 AM »

Haha, I hadn't thought of that but I LIKE it!

That would keep me watching the show, watching him be 'The Mole', sabotaging their efforts and using them to create his ideal fantasy world.
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 06:25:24 AM »

Did you all see the beginning of the episode? When he wiggled his toes and looked surprised?

The "big surprise" that he was a cripple was revealed fairly early on.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 06:51:58 AM »

***spoilers***

Let's see(from TV Tome, addons by me):

Survivors are jolted awake in the middle of the night when wild island beasts invade the beach encampment, turns out to be wild boars. Locke has flashbacks to waking up on the beach, looking at his toes wiggle. Locke later reveals he has a suitcase full of knives. The Lost realize they have run out of food, Locke suggests a pig hunt, using the knives.  Kate and Michael join the mysterious Locke on a hunt for the pigs.  The Iraqi guy gives Kate a makeshift antenna to plant on a high point, to help track down the origin of the 16 yr message.  During the hunt, the pigs attack them, Locke chases after the maruading pigs while Kate tends to a wounded Michael(pig gored him). Later Kate attempts to plant the antenna but a GIANT CREATURE(tm) scares the crap out of her and she drops and breaks the antenna.  The GC wanders off unseen towards Locke's last known location.  The GC eventually attacks the pigs just as Locke is approaching. Last we see, Locke is having a face to face with the GC(unseen from our angle).

Meanwhile, some survivors are horrified by Jack's plan for the dead bodies still scattered among the wreckage, he wants to burn the fuselage to get rid of the bodies so the wild animals won't get them(and use the fire as a possible signal for rescuers).  Kate and Michael eventually make their way back to camp, declaring Locke to be lost.  During the day, Jack sees someone on the edges of the jungle, someone wearing white sneakers but in a suit but the guy disappears.  He sees this while consoling the woman who's husband is missing. Later, he sees the suit guy again and runs to where he was, only to find Locke coming out of the jungle with a dead pig.

Somewhere in all this, we get another Locke flashback letting us know that he has been planning a Walkabout in Aus for a long time, has a rich fantasy life, and oh yeah, he CAN'T WALK!  Until after the crash that is.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 06:59:42 AM »

Actually, after reading my recap, I have to say that was a pretty exciting episode.  :?
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 12:52:46 PM »

Great show so far, but I do have concerns - like I'm dreading this show if it isn't going to move forward - I'm not sticking around until season 3 or whatever to see what the damn tree molesting monster is in a quick season finale cut or some crap like that....they've set this up great so far don't get me wrong, but now let's move that plot along.

Oh and it had better not be taking place inside someone's head!

My current theory is that they are all dead and they are in purgatory or some other sort of intermediate existence (although the other dead-dead passengers kind of shoot holes in that theory)

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 01:13:50 PM »

These guys do a great job of recapping episodes: they don't have 10/13's yet  but it'll be up soon I'm sure: recaps.

And gameoverman, as to the survivors not being rational regarding food, consider that:

1. They just crash landed on an island - everyone is a bit shook up smile
2. They don't know they're stuck on the island for a long time
3. Nobody is really thinking for the group - it's mostly everyone wandering around thinking about themselves
4. They DID scavenge and eat the remainder of the airline food
5. Their first thoughts are the most immediate ones "we're hungry, we need food - kill pigs" rather than long term ones "we're hungry, need long term food source, capture and raise pigs" - for all they know, they'll be rescued in a few days, so they don't have the need to do any long-range planning.
6. Killing the polar bear happened the 1st day, and as food wasn't particularly an issue, who would have thought about it then?. Seems reasonable to me.

All in all, I don't find the behavior of people there too far off base regarding the food issue. They're in shock, in an unfamiliar place, and still determining their community interactions. So until a real leader emerges to think about stuff like that, they're gonna flounder around with respect to the necessities.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 01:34:22 PM »

Quote from: "QP"

My current theory is that they are all dead and they are in purgatory or some other sort of intermediate existence (although the other dead-dead passengers kind of shoot holes in that theory)

Ah, but what if the "dead-dead" people are really alive and therefor appear as dead in your purgatory?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 01:37:16 PM »

Great show!  

I never expected the ending either.  

What type of drug is that Lord of the Rings guy on?

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 01:41:11 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

I think that's pipe weed.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 01:55:01 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
These guys do a great job of recapping episodes: they don't have 10/13's yet  but it'll be up soon I'm sure: recaps.

God I love that site. biggrin Their recaps of some of the worst shows are so blisteringly funny I wound up having to read them at home, lest my gutbusting laughter would bring my co-workers running to see what other than work I was doing. smile

Steron
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »

I love this show. I have been watching every Wednesday since it started.

Couple things...

1) Somebody mentioned on EBG in my thread about how they thought they saw a polar bear in the Spanish comic that the little boy was reading. Then later in the show, they killed the grungy looking polar bear when they were trying to pick up a signal on the transceiver. Was anyone able to verify that? I don't have Tivo so I can't do it myself.

2) Last week when the little boy had lost his dog, his father said he would look for the dog after the rain stopped and the rain immediately stopped.

Is there any tie between the two? Or is it strictly coincidence? I have no idea but I found the possibility intriguing.

All in all, this show really has my interest. The little cliques of information horders is funny. Jack and Kate seem to be the only ones who know everything. Jack and Kate are hiding what happened to the pilot from the others. Sayid (I’m sure I butchered the spelling) and Kate are hiding the French transmission from the rest of the survivors. It's clear Jack is the leader of the survivors but I'm not sure he wants to be. Something dark will come out about Jack before long, I'm sure.

-Why didn’t Jack want to be a part of the memorial service?
-Who is the guy in the sneakers and suit that Jack keeps seeing?
-Is Rose’s husband dead?

I really hope the blonde eye candy dies of starvation. She bugs the hell out of me.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting.
Dick Vermeil

ANOTHER GoneGold Refugee
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 02:08:29 PM »

Quote from: "rshetts"
Quote from: "QP"

Ah, but what if the "dead-dead" people are really alive and therefor appear as dead in your purgatory?

Ugh get out of my head!  You're making it hurt!

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 02:41:30 PM »

Another episode that was entertaining and cool, while still pushing the envelope on suspension of disbelief.

The whole issue with Locke defies explanation based on what we've seen so far. As mentioned above, how does someone in a wheelchair for 4 years have the musculature left to get up and walk/run off? And he doesn't tell anybody? And he tries to use a bargain-basement wheelchair to go off-roading in the Australian Outback? He'd be lucky to get one of those into an Outback Steakhouse.

The drama's great. The show's basically cool, but yeah, I need to see some delivery on the stuff they've set up pretty soon.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »

For what it's worth Sayid made a comment about how if that French message had been repeating for 16 years then there must be a sizable power source somewhere.  As for the other stuff that pushes the suspension of disbelief---it just doesn't phase me as I've never regarded this as a "realistic" show.   I've been viewing it more in a surrealist vein.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2004, 03:04:23 PM »

WBS, I sorely missed your Buffy and Angel recaps on GG. smile

Locke being paralyzed wasn't even remotely on my radar, so the scene with him in the wheelchair arguing with the guide was incredibly emotional. I have no idea who Terry O'Quinn is, but he is one hell of an actor. Can someone fill me in on what he's done before this?

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 03:07:06 PM »

He had a pretty significant role in Millenium as well as a small, but significant role in the X-Files movie.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dramatist"
Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

I think that's pipe weed.

Lol!

I think it's heroin.  Just like coke, high grade heroin you can snort, or rub on mucous membranes (like him rubbing on your gums).

I love his generic "stoned" looks, I think they're really funny.  I expect him to get really cooked and go wander over to Kate and say, "You know, one time I was hanging out with Gandalf and we..."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 09:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
I have no idea who Terry O'Quinn is, but he is one hell of an actor. Can someone fill me in on what he's done before this?

Assistant Direoctor Kendall in Alias (Season 2)
General Alexander in The West Wing (Season 5)
Howard Hughes in The Rocketeer
Moria Kelly's dad in The Cutting Edge

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 09:19:33 PM »

Quote from: "Sith Lord"

The whole issue with Locke defies explanation based on what we've seen so far. As mentioned above, how does someone in a wheelchair for 4 years have the musculature left to get up and walk/run off? And he doesn't tell anybody? And he tries to use a bargain-basement wheelchair to go off-roading in the Australian Outback? He'd be lucky to get one of those into an Outback Steakhouse.

Let alone the fact that he came face to face with one of the invisible creatures while hunting the boar and walks away... AND then doesn't say anything about what happened.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2004, 09:42:38 PM »

This is what the synopsis is of next week's episode, from abc.com

*SPOILERS*

Jack is near delirious from lack of sleep and struggles to overcome the haunting events that brought him to Australia and, subsequently, to the island. Meanwhile, Boone gets caught in a treacherous riptide, the pregnant Claire's health takes a bad turn, and a thief may have stolen the last bottles of water.

*END SPOILERS*

Looks like more questions and no answers. But that's ok, assuming that it's a 22 episode season, I don't expect any answers until at least episode 15 or so. I'm a 24 junkie, I expect to be strung along and teased as long as possible.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2004, 10:06:35 PM »

Which one is Boone again?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »

Terry O'Quinn is a role or character actor, with a ton of tv credits to his name.  He's one of those actors that just continually slips under the radar, but always does a great job with his roles.  

When I watched the re-airing of the first 2 episodes last week, I distinctly remember a polar bear in the spanish comic the kid was reading.

Isn't Boone the guy that looted the plane and was setup to look like an early bad guy of sorts?  If that's the same guy, I think he's a little too much like a Han Solo ripoff.  It seems clear to me that he's going to emerge as kind of a dark hero or anti-hero to Jack, which is a great concept, I just hope they tone down the Han Solo "Hey Sweetheart" persona.

Edited:  Boone is the kid with the freaky eyebrows and eyes, with the debutante sister.  I think I'm thinking of Hurley?  Here's the guy that plays Boone...
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0813812/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: