http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:46:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST 10-20 [SPOILERS]  (Read 4600 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2004, 12:11:23 AM »

Hmm... Mean dude is reading Watership Down.  That's gotta be symbolic for something....   :idea:

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:19:12 AM »

Freaky with Jack's dad.  It's interesting to see a little bit about his background.  I think Jack just needs some sleep.  They're still setting up the premise here.  It's going to be a few more episodes before they can dig into the meat of the story, is my guess.

[edit]
HOLY CRAP!  I take it back!  Was his dad on the plane?!!?

[edit]
"Living is easy with eyes closed."

[edit]

HOLY CRAP AGAIN!  ???  Where the hell is his dad? Australia?  On the island?  I had a feeling that he was leading him to water.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:03:44 AM »

Agreed. "White Rabbit" is a good title for this episode. I read the names of some upcoming episodes, and it's got me all kinds of happy. Good episode, and who knew Matt Fox was a decent actor?!? When the hell did that happen?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 01:05:11 AM »

There at the very end we see someone carrying a jar of water and I said to myself "wow nice ass" and it turned out to be Kate  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:37:29 AM »

could anyone read what the tatoo on the stupid hobbits arm read?
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 01:42:22 AM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"

dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 01:45:17 AM »

gracias
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 02:16:41 AM »

I have to admit I cringed a little when the flash backs started and I thought, "well 3 backgrounds down and just 45, whoops, make that 44 episodes to go".   But it was pretty well done.  I almost get the feeling each episode is letting people settle the crap they brought from the real world so they can concentrate on whatever the island throws at them.  

I would like to see them start to have to deal with day to day problems of being stranded.   The water one was kind of a given.  Don't these people have Survivor in their TV universe?
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 02:31:29 AM »

Which is a lyric from the Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever.  Not that that means anything, but you never know.

Good episode tonight again.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 02:33:38 AM »

Why only 44 episodes to go?

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 02:55:38 AM »

Weren't there originally 48 survivors and then one bit it tonight? So one flashback a piece.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 02:57:13 AM »

Add to that the cop that died last week and there's 46 now. They never included the pilot for some reason.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 02:58:41 AM »

They are only focusing on 14 survivors though.

Interesting line by Locke tonight:  "I've looked into the eye of the island . . . and it was beautiful."
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 03:01:40 AM »

Actually one of the show runners mentioned that the current "stars" could be killed off at anytime and others would emerge from the background mob.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 03:30:49 AM »

No hint of the jungle creatures this episode (unless you count "dad").

Don't have all the episodes handy, but I'm wondering if there's any consistency between survivor actions/interactions and when the trees start shaking...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 03:44:56 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
No hint of the jungle creatures this episode (unless you count "dad").

Don't have all the episodes handy, but I'm wondering if there's any consistency between survivor actions/interactions and when the trees start shaking...

Which is what got me to thinking the "creature" and his "dad" are one and the same. It's whatever is in your heart or mind at the time, is what I'm thinking it is. Since fear was in the hearts of so many people at the start, that manifested itself in the "what I don't see is big, hulking, hidden, and really pissed" style creature from the previous episodes. It's also possible that whatever is "running" the island leads people to deadly fates, as Jack nearly found out tonight. We'll see where this goes once all the backstory is out of the way.

I'm also thinking Hurley's history is going to be more interesting than the rest of them.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 03:48:38 AM »

They did'nt really crash and they are'nt on a island. They are part of a government experiment and are sitting in a warehouse somewhere all hooked up to a new type of virtual world computer system.

Or maybe only 1 person survived and they are completely crazy.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 04:39:22 AM »

Not a bad episode I thought. It does feel like the show just started tonight, with them finally getting around to acknowledging that they should fend for themselves.  I see everything that has happened till now as a prologue for the real meat of the story.

Some things I noticed: the Doc sure doesn't seem too doctorly,  fitting into my earlier theory. When he went to i.d. the body, the coroner guy talked to him like he was a nobody "myocardio infarction, a big heart attack", wouldn't a Dr know what that was? Wouldn't a Dr introduce himself to the coroner as a Dr? So why would the coroner feel the need to explain that?

Then at the airport, he seemed to think you can just transport a body between countries with no paperwork, as a Dr wouldn't he have gotten the paperwork right, if nothing else?

The look Sun gave her 'husband' when they talked about him getting her the water was unusual. I take it they aren't actually married, or at least she doesn't want to be.

The Racist dude, his stash(including cigs) is kept in a hole in soft earth on a tropical island that has periodic torrential rain? Not too bright is he?

That hobbit guy can kick some ass for a druggie!

What did Jack do, what did his mom(nice seeing Veronica Hamel again) mean by that?

How did Locke know where Jack was, much less get there at just the right time to save him, UNLESS Locke has some resource we are not aware of that allows him to know what is going on out there. Did anyone else flashback to all the times Gilligan or someone else was hanging onto a bush sticking out the edge of a cliff on 'Gilligan's Island'?

Best of all, lots of good Kate shots tonight.  It's like they already know what sells this show, KATE KATE KATE!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 05:21:33 AM »

I liked the line from Terry O'Quinn tonight (paraphrased because I can't remember it exactly):

"People who are crazy don't think they're going crazy, they think they're getting saner."

So true!  I feel saner every day.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 10:05:31 AM »

Is Jack even a doctor? Or does he just know medical stories and medical terms and a little medical info because his dad was a doctor?

Seems when he tried to save that law man with the metal in him that he did'nt even try to sew up his insides like his bowels and stuff.

But why would anyone pretend to be a doctor. Would seem to put more stress and responsibility on them.

Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 11:15:20 AM »

Good episode, in my opinion. Still, however, not a lot of explanations being given.

The whole Jack storyline thingy. Am I crazy or did Jack's dad NOT look like the guy in the suit Jack saw a couple of times?

For one thing, when Jack turned around suit-guy, and he noticed it was his dad, dad was wearing a bluish-grey suit. Suit-guy as seen previously seemed to be wearing a black suit. I was also really paying attention to whether I could see dad's shoes as he was walking away, but I couldn't. Suit-guy wears white sneakers everytime we see him. Dad doesn't seem like he'd be wearing white sneakers.

Especially not considering dad might have been on the plane. Would you bury someone in a suit while wearing sneakers?
Going further with that. So, the coffin was on the plane. When Jack opens it, it seemed previously unopened, yet the body was NOT in the coffin. Jack did however seem suprised that this was the case.
Jack didn't have the proper documents to get the corpse on the plane, as witnessed from the flashback. So we have two possibilities: 1. Corpse wasn't on the plane, coffin was. Which makes very little sense: why would Jack leave the corpse behind, and why would he then be surprised and/or frustrated to see the coffin empty. Unless of course he took along the coffin so he could pretend at home like he brought his father back and not delay the burial.

2. Corpse WAS on the plane. Where is it now then? I'm quite positive Jack's dad is in fact dead. The corpse was gone however. Has Dad become UnDad and is now roaming the island like a zombie? Did wildlife find the body and carry it away? Doubtful, considering the coffin was closed. Where IS that body?

Going on...what's the meaning of those dolls in the water? Do they have a meaning? slywink
Was that the tailsection of the plane? If so, that's kind of odd, because we've seen in flashbacks that the tail section is ripped of prior to the crash. That'd mean it would be MILES away from where the rest of the plane crashed. Of course, this could just be an error to help the story along.

-What's with eyebrow-boy? I've heard him say he's a lifeguard in one of the earlier episodes, but he was busy drowning when Jack went out to save the girl. In this episode he says he runs a business...a lifeguarding business? Why on earth did he steal the water if he wanted to make a point about them needing a leader. Eyebrow boy is weird.

-How DID Locke manage to be in the correct place at the correct time. Or was that just a corny story element? Also, it's quite clear Locke likes it on the Island (it seems like his regular life is kinda sucky anyway.). What's the character of the island though? If it brings to life what you want or are afraid of etc, what killed the Pilot in such a ghastly manner? That WAS a creature.

I'm REALLY curious where this show is going smile

HELLO!
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 11:38:36 AM »

I knew dad wasn't in the coffin... they have obviously landed on the Genesis planet, the same one Captain Kirk sent Spock's coffin to! smile

And Locke continues to get the best lines - love the one about sane/insane people. Plus he said something like "I'm grounded in the real world, a meat and potatoes guy" - quite ironic coming from the "Colonel" smile

I continue to think Jack is not really a MD - I still believe he could be some sort of military operative - training on aircraft, knows medicine - maybe he washed out of Commando school or something (which is why his mom is mad at him?). He still has secrets, of course.

And the preview for next week... taking bets that Mercutio is NOT cutting the Korean guy's hand off with the axe. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44:56 AM »

But washing out of Commando school...is that enough to get the whole "You know what you did, GRRR!!" speech from his mother? I mean...most people don't get throught that, right?

HELLO!
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 12:02:27 PM »

See the whole thing is that you are what you wanted to be on that island.  Locke can walk again, and he's a super adventurer.
Jack is a doctor, living up to his father's expectations.
Lifeguard dude is a... well... lifeguard.
Maybe the pregnant girl wasn't pregnant before?

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 12:20:18 PM »

See the whole thing is that you are what you wanted to be on that island.

Yes, and any minute now we're going to see a little midget come running out shouting "Da plane! Da plane!"

I'm going to be really pissed if this is a Fantasy Island remake.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:45 PM »

Bah if it turns out that they are on some dream island crap i will almost certainly stop watching instantly after it happens.

Oh and the lifeguard drowning fit with his backstory of being a complete idiot. Remember when he, a lifeguard, was giving that women cpr incorrectly? Look at his sister, stupidity seems to run in the family.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 01:51:50 PM »

Regarding Eyebrow Boy, one of the upcoming episodes is called "Confidence Man." The question is, who's it talking about? I'm starting to lean towards him. smile

Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 02:07:50 PM »

See the whole thing is that you are what you wanted to be on that island.  Locke can walk again, and he's a super adventurer.
Jack is a doctor, living up to his father's expectations.
Lifeguard dude is a... well... lifeguard.
Maybe the pregnant girl wasn't pregnant before?

How would Kate fit into that though? Or Hurley?

Rockstar Hobbit, I can see, as well as Said (he's a muslim that wishes he had the balls to join the Republican Guard...ooh, that'll fly over well with the audience slywink )

HELLO!
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 02:21:52 PM »

As for jack's mom being pissed at him, maybe he quit being a doctor or was a royal screw up as a doctor?  

Based on the incredibly specific story he told Kate at the begining of the first episode about doing spinal surgery on some girl and messing up, I do suspect that he was a doctor but that maybe he got whatever the medical eqivalent of "disbarred" is.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 02:48:01 PM »

Ive suspected from the beginning that Jack had his medical liscense revoked.  The flashbacks seemed to support that.  His dads speech about failure, his talks with his mom and his conversation with Kate about the girls spinal injury all point to this.  The dolls were just a bit of wierdness, nothing important.  There was a crate of them in the planes cargo area, along with his dads coffin.  Funny how the coffin survived the crash and being tossed from a plane, but Jack smashed it to splinters with a stick.
  Ok now heres the real theory on what going on with the island.  Its a testing ground established by aliens, who are testing different human personality types, prior to an impending invasion.  They are playing with these peoples minds to see how resilient they are.  As Locke said everything is happening for a reason.  Heck, "Colonel" Locke, could be a member of the advanced alien guard and really be an alien colonel.  Ok, maybe not.  
  One quick note about the beautiful Kate,  Evangeline Lilly is up for the role as Lois Lane is the upcoming Superman movie along with Charisma Carpenter and Amy Aker among others.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »

"Evangeline Lilly is up for the role as Lois Lane"

That would rock.  biggrin
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 03:38:38 PM »

That would rock indeed.

I thought the episode was great.  I'm reall digging this show and can't wait till next weeks.  

This and Smallville have a hold on me.

Go Gunners...
mdsmith
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »

Didn't it show a skeleton on the preview for the next show ? I thought it was the father. This show has me hooked to. It is being produced by the same people who do Alias so anything can/will happen. I suspect it will be a wild ride.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 04:34:21 PM »

As much as I miss the X Files (in its prime), I’m actually hoping that the plot doesn’t devolve into a potentially hokey fantasy or magical premise.  Welcome to magic island, where your fears and your dreams come true!  Maybe the island was cutoff from a larger land mass, and has done kind of a Galapagos Islands on steroids with all of the freaky creatures (not sure how you’d explain the polar bear).  I’m really enjoying the show, but I’d also hate to see it end up like a 2004 version of Fantasy Island.  

My wife is on board with the popular “they’re already dead” theory, but I’m not buying into that one yet.  The hot pregnant woman about to give birth and the US Marshall agent who died don’t really fit into that theory well.        

I think it would be hilarious if the writers never expected the show to make it past the first pilot season, and are now scrambling to actually figure out (like all of us are) what the heck is going on with their story.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 05:16:38 PM »

Well, count me in as someone who buys into the theory that what is going on (on the island) is tied to the emotions/desires/thoughts of the people on it.  As to how much so.... I have no idea.

But I refuse to believe the little boy looking at a comic book with a polar bear in it, followed by a polar bear actually showing up on the island, is mere coincidence.

Of course, you could kick that theory right in the shorts by saying, "Yeah, well they are all thinking about being rescued... and that hasn't happened."  in which case, you would be right.

LD   :?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 11:23:51 PM »

Just in case someone hasn't seen it:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 11:47:45 PM »

Methinks Lost has now taken over the internet. When Penny Arcade picks up a show the same week as it's on the cover of TV Guide AND the source of raves on AICN AND the Nielsen ratings, I think it's time to proclaim the show a bona fide hit. biggrin

/hopes they can keep it up

Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2004, 12:17:42 AM »

heh, I finally figured out where I'd seen that girl before.  

Anybody seen the TV commerials for this: http://www.livelinks.com/

She must be a good actor because I never would have made that connection without help. That and she has some chest enhancement in those adds.  

The TV spot is on the webpage BTW
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2004, 12:50:03 AM »

Holy shit that livelinks shit is hilarious smile

Way to look stupid in a commercial slywink

HELLO!
Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2004, 04:20:32 AM »

Some things I noticed: the Doc sure doesn't seem too doctorly, fitting into my earlier theory. When he went to i.d. the body, the coroner guy talked to him like he was a nobody "myocardio infarction, a big heart attack", wouldn't a Dr know what that was? Wouldn't a Dr introduce himself to the coroner as a Dr? So why would the coroner feel the need to explain that?

Then at the airport, he seemed to think you can just transport a body between countries with no paperwork, as a Dr wouldn't he have gotten the paperwork right, if nothing else?

Also, the manager at the hotel kept calling him Mr., instead of Dr.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: