http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 04:53:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 04/06/05  (Read 2427 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2005, 01:10:43 AM »

What a night for some drama, eh? biggrin We see a new life as we say goodbye to an old one, and I was actually surprised how well they handled the passing of the character. The breakdown at the end over the body was especially strong because it started very slow and then gradually built to tears. We also have Shannon and Sayeed hooking up but doing it slowly, which leads me to believe she'll either betray him at some point in the future or actually stick with him. I guess it all depends on what happens in Sayeed's episode in a few weeks.

The flashbacks got the point across that Jack can't let go, but seemed oddly anti-climactic considering he did go through with the wedding. But man do I wonder how that ties into the series.

Highlights:
- the extent of the dying character's injuries
- the most shocking chest stabbing since Pulp Fiction
- the birth
- Jin and Charlie's reactions to Claire's baby
- the cuteness of Claire's baby (though I was disappointed it did not have horns nor pop out and eat Charlie) biggrin
- Jin and Sun talking through Jack
- any Julie Bowen is good Julie Bowen
- Sayeed and Shannon's picnic
- the setup regarding the leg and why Michael was needed
- the conversation between Jack and his father by the pool
- Jack's "vows"
- "I'm letting you off the hook."
- the final breakdown
- "I'm going to find John Locke."
- the look in Jack's eyes as the episode ends

Grade: A

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:16:20 AM »

Killer episode... any idea on when the next new episode/season finale is?  Can the show truly exist without Locke? Sure does look like they are gonna kill him off from the preview.  

One of my favorite lines was to the extent...

"Hurley if you faint..."

Was interesting to see Sawyer hand over the alchohol so quickly...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 01:29:10 AM »

The next new episode is on May 4th.

The two-hour season finale is on May 25th.

-Autistic Angel
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:11:32 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
We also have Shannon and Sayeed hooking up but doing it slowly, which leads me to believe she'll either betray him at some point in the future or actually stick with him.

My guess is that you'll be right......  :wink:

My only complaint about the show tonight - the newborn baby didn't look newborn at all. If they are going to try to have a somewhat realistic birthing scene (did anyone else hear the sounds as the baby came out?  :shock: ), why have a completely clean baby?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:35:22 AM »

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.BE WARNED!
SPOILERS..

I was right after all.I had picked Boone as the one to die a while back in an online poll. It was still very sad to me. Im gonna miss him. I used to dislike him but it seemed as if he was getting more time and his character was coming along well. Just sad. I wonder if he'll reappear in future episodes as a ghost or somehow brought back by the island.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:40:09 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

My only complaint about the show tonight - the newborn baby didn't look newborn at all. If they are going to try to have a somewhat realistic birthing scene (did anyone else hear the sounds as the baby came out?  :shock: ), why have a completely clean baby?

That was the first thing we noticed. Not only was the baby perfectly clean, but Kate didn't even bother cleaning its mouth out. I know a cute,cooing baby is more photogenic, but new babies are supposed to be gross-looking and loud.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 04:12:35 AM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

That was the first thing we noticed. Not only was the baby perfectly clean, but Kate didn't even bother cleaning its mouth out. I know a cute,cooing baby is more photogenic, but new babies are supposed to be gross-looking and loud.

would you rather see her holding a real baby, or get quick shots of a slimy, screaming newborn that probably wouldn't be a real kid?  i'm guessing it's logistically difficult to pull off both at the same time...good luck finding someone to let you grease up their newborn and put in on tv...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 05:28:43 AM »

This really was a kickass episode.  

The flashbacks were boring, some of the most boring of all the flashbacks so far, however I feel they were redeemed by the insight to Jack and his relationships(including his dad) they offered.  Not so much as it tied into the plotline of that episode, but just in terms of who Jack is overall.

I was impressed that they didn't shy away from certain, less than admirable character developments.  For instance, a cheesy tv show would have had Shannon brought back just in time to say goodbye.  Instead they let Shannon have her night out with Sayid as her brother died. Also, they didn't let Locke off the hook, after all he brought back a mortally injured friend, lied about his injuries, and then ran away leaving him for dead.

Speaking of Shannon, she becomes my new favorite character now that she has been so honest with Sayid.  Imagine that, someone on Lost just telling the truth for once! Will wonders never cease?

I also thought the acting was taken to a new level on this episode.  Kate's scene with Claire, where she tells Claire theya are all behind her, showed E Lilly doing alot more than her patented pouty/flirty bit.  Charlie's line "he's pouring his own blood into his arm' was excellent.  Jin and Sun also both shined, both individually and in that scene where they interacted together.  Heck, even Sawyer showed us a new side, with his offer to go with Kate if she needed help.

A couple of more thoughts: did anyone else have "Lightning Crashes" playing in their head as the show crosscut from Boone to Claire?  Did anyone else feel a topical 'die with dignity' vibe from Sun as Jack contemplated 'treating' Boone's leg, even though there was nothing anyone could do for Boone in any real sense?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 05:51:35 AM »

Yup, great episode.  These last two have been my favorites of the season.  Sorry to see Boone go- I've really enjoyed his character for the last half of the season.  

I, too, appreciated that Shannon didn't make it back in time for an obligatory farewell scene.  

As for further characters on the chopping block- I'd put Jin on there.  I just don't see how far they can take his character long-term without him speaking English.  I think it limits his character in a practical sense.  Unless they do some sort of flash-forward between seasons so that he can learn it in the off-time.
Sunderer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 03:20:52 PM »

We also now know that Kate can't hold her liquor.

"At this moment, you mean everything."
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »

See I have to disagree here.

I felt it was the weakest episode so far.  Nothing really happens.  Ok Claire had her baby- ok well we knew that from day one.

Boone died... well a plane fell on him last week and they have been telling us that someone on the show is gonna die for weeks on end so no real surprise there.

Locke was lying and now others know-- ok well that was bound to happen sometime.

Um, I mean it was all things that had to happen but it was kind of boring really.  Basically the story didn't go anywhere last nite- it set up a few things kind of, like Jack is pissed at Locke-- ok but I am not on the edge of my seat waiting for that fight but I do wonder what happend to Jack's wife.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:42:59 PM »

What's the deal with the birth and death happening at virtually the same time?

Semi-lame plot device by the writer/director or something Island-related?

Hated to see Boone go, but I'm glad it was him and not someone else.

No way are they killing off Locke. The guy is seemingly the only person who has even the slightest idea that something besides just be stranded after a plane crash is going on.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 07:59:22 PM »

No way are they killing off Locke. The guy is seemingly the only person who has even the slightest idea that something besides just be stranded after a plane crash is going on.

Exactly why I'm afraid he might get killed off.  He knows too much and since the core of the show is mystery its in their best interests to dispense with him.  He'll be around long enough to pass on a little about what he knows to the other core group of characters (Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, etc) and then likely be killed off leaving Jack and Co to figure things out on their own.  He'll go for the same reason that Ethan had to be killed off and the French Woman is in exile- they know the truth and having them in close proximity of the rest of the cast for any extended period of time would inevitably result in the rest of the survivors finding out.   No more mysteries=show over.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Exactly why I'm afraid he might get killed off.  He knows too much and since the core of the show is mystery its in their best interests to dispense with him.  He'll be around long enough to pass on a little about what he knows to the other core group of characters (Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, etc) and then likely be killed off leaving Jack and Co to figure things out on their own.  He'll go for the same reason that Ethan had to be killed off and the French Woman is in exile- they know the truth and having them in close proximity of the rest of the cast for any extended period of time would inevitably result in the rest of the survivors finding out.   No more mysteries=show over.

True, but does he really know much beyond the fact that something weird seems to be going on (and about the hatch thingy, of course)?

He seems to be the only one with the least little bit of curiosity about the place anymore since Sayid had his curiousity shocked out of him. slywink Of course, Locke has the best reason to be curious.

I'm hoping that the mystery being solved will only be the start of the goodness.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 09:46:25 PM »

An article in EW that comes out soon (and features the killed off cast member on the cover) cites one of the show runners as saying the heart of the story is the conflict between Jack and Locke. I'm guessing based on that there is no way they'll definitely kill off Locke until maybe the end.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 10:43:35 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
An article in EW that comes out soon (and features the killed off cast member on the cover) cites one of the show runners as saying the heart of the story is the conflict between Jack and Locke. I'm guessing based on that there is no way they'll definitely kill off Locke until maybe the end.

God, I hope so.  Although there really is no conflict yet (but there will be very *soon*).

Early on I really hoped they would effectively form two camps and thought they were heading that way with the beach/caves split but that's largely been abandoned now.  I'd like to see the show go that direction.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »

Heh, just saw on AICN that the aforementioned Entertainment Weekly issue is #815 smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 11:38:47 PM »

Good eye!

(For those of you who are wondering, the number 47 is frequently featured in series by J.J. Abrams.  Sometimes it's coded, sometimes not -- in this case, if you subtract the '1' from '8' and also from '5' and then reverse the results, you get 47.  biggrin )
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 12:49:50 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Good eye!

(For those of you who are wondering, the number 47 is frequently featured in series by J.J. Abrams.  Sometimes it's coded, sometimes not -- in this case, if you subtract the '1' from '8' and also from '5' and then reverse the results, you get 47.  biggrin )

Can't take credit for it- the AICN article pointed it out.  Otherwise I'd probably never have noticed.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 06:02:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Good eye!

Can't take credit for it- the AICN article pointed it out.  Otherwise I'd probably never have noticed.

Did the number for Huley's lottery ticket add up to 47?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »

season finale has now  been upped to 3 hours  smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 07:46:37 PM »

Are you serious?  This all on a Wednesday night too?  I saw that there are 5 more episodes, does that mean there are 2 stand alone and then the last 3 in one sitting?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 08:14:39 PM »

Actually it is a bit confusing, becuase it starts out that it is 3 hours but  then talkes about 2-- but it DOES say 3....

Story link from Sci Fi channel:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30810

and the text:

Lost Finale Is Super-Sized

Javier Grillo-Marxuach, a writer and supervising producer on ABC's hit series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that the much-anticipated season finale will clock in at three hours and give fans everything they love about the show. "In terms of epic storytelling and shocking destiny, you ain't seen nothing yet!" Grillo-Marxuach said in an interview. "We were going to do a two-hour finale [over two weeks], and then ABC asked if we could do 90 minutes [the second week] so they could schedule it against American Idol. Carlton [Cuse] and Damon [Lindelof, who co-created the show with J.J. Abrams,] did an amazing job on the finale script, and their first draft came in a little long anyway. [ABC] looked at it and decided to do a two-hour. So 'Exodus Part 1' will air on May 18th, and the epic saga that is 'Exodus Part 2' will air May 25th. The final two hours is so full of incident and character and shocks and scares and drama, all the things that people love about Lost, that it would have been silly to cut things out. So we've got a 25-hour first season! We busted our butts on it, but it's not going to feel like it's been padded. We are very proud of it."

Grillo-Marxuach wrote five episodes in the freshman season and confirmed that he would return for the second season, which begins production in July. Reflecting on his efforts this year, he said, "'... In Translation,' which I wrote with Leonard Dick, is my favorite episode this season." The episode revealed the troubled backstory to Jin, played by Daniel Dae Kim. "It was such a great character piece for Jin. Daniel's performance was fantastic. I don't think it's our flashiest episode. There are episodes that have more incidents in them, but it was so emotional and was so much a closure for me, because I wrote the first episode ['House of the Rising Sun'] about Jin and Sun. My dad even wrote me an e-mail after that episode telling me he was proud of me."

As to what the castaways will have to endure next season, Grillo-Marxuach said: "The second season is strictly top secret right now. Damon has alluded to his ideas about what the second season is going to be like, and once the first season is over, we are going to begin secret summit meetings to start bashing out how it will lay out over the course of the season. Come May, we'll have a lot more information about what's going to be happening. But our masterminds are very much at work on what that second season will be about." Lost airs on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 08:47:48 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Are you serious?  This all on a Wednesday night too?  I saw that there are 5 more episodes, does that mean there are 2 stand alone and then the last 3 in one sitting?

Sort of-

2 standalone then the the first part of the finale "Exodus Part 1" airs one week (lasts an hour) and then the second part "Exodus Part 2" airs the following weeks (lasts two hours).  So Five more hours of Lost to go this season.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 03:35:58 PM »

Just something I heard the other night on the previews for upcoming lost shows.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!

When Boone is in the plane and calling for help on the radio he gets someone to answer.  During the show it was hard to hear what the person said to boone but on the preview it's clear as day.  Boone says we the surviors of flight 815.  The person responds "no we're the surviors of flight 815".  Strange.

Pig
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »

Quote from: "Bulletpig"
Just something I heard the other night on the previews for upcoming lost shows.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!

When Boone is in the plane and calling for help on the radio he gets someone to answer.  During the show it was hard to hear what the person said to boone but on the preview it's clear as day.  Boone says we the surviors of flight 815.  The person responds "no we're the surviors of flight 815".  Strange.

Pig

i'm not sure why people seem to think that was such an odd response.  if passenger jet disappeared somewhere over the ocean and had not been found for over a month, it wouldn't be unrealistic at all to assume that there were no survivors.  it's not like you can search the entire ocean floor to find the wreckage, so they would very likely give up the search and assume the worst after a while.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 05:52:24 PM »

Not to mention the pilot said they were 1000 miles off course to begin with so it's not rescuers were likely to do a lot of rescuing in the first place. I'm starting to get curious how they're going to get off the island, but first thing's first. They need to explore the island and find out they're really just in South Florida and there's a highway about 15 miles from the caves. biggrin

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005, 05:53:41 PM »

Unless of course the plane was already found and there were NO survivors....?

NM, that wouldn't make sense-- I mean if they ARE dead.. well there would be no resolution.

BUT, if a plane is lost, then wouldn't the reasonable response be...YOU GUYS ARE ALIVE???  OMG WE THOUGHT YOU HAD ALL DIED??!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 06:46:50 PM »

I don't think you are reading his post correctly-

The other person on the radio is NOT saying:

"There were no survivors of Flight 815"

He's saying:

"No, *We're* the survivors of Flight 815"- ie Boone was talking to someone else saying they were also the survivors of Flight 815.

Totally different ramification.

A show member confirmed that in the original cut the second phrase was clearly able to be heard but ABC had them add some static to add some confusion prior to airing.

This is either because:

1)  They've decided to go down a different plot path after filming that scene

-or-

2) They wanted to preserve a later surprise.

I haven't verified it myself but supposdly if you watch the edited episode summary on ABC's Lost site it features the unedited version of the scene where the dialogue over the radio is clear.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »

okok IC...

See in my head, when I watched the episode, I heard.... "there were no survivors..."

If it were "no WE are the surviors..." that Boone heard then yes.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2005, 08:26:52 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"

Um, I mean it was all things that had to happen but it was kind of boring really.  Basically the story didn't go anywhere last nite- it set up a few things kind of.

But that IS the show, that is how it works.  When has the show told the audience anything?  Basically, we don't really know anymore now than we did after the episode where they heard the French woman's radio message.  Even after seeing the Frenchwoman and hearing from her(twice!), we have more questions than answers regarding her.  In fact, since she might be crazy, you could say we have NO answers regarding her part in all this.

That being the case, then the name of the game for the show is to entertain us while telling us nothing.  Unlike most of the other episodes, I believe this episode did that.  

First let me say that I think  if someone read spoilers saying a character would die and therefore they knew Boone was doomed- that's not the show's problem, that's on the person reading spoilers.  The way Boone's death played out was done in a very tense, interesting way.  Such as seeing Jack shine on Claire in order to concentrate on Boone, then seeing the lengths Jack was willing to go(chopping the leg), it made his character WAY more interesting to me. Combined with the way Jack messed with Sawyer's head last week, Jack is actually kind of cool now. Before he was just a whiny do gooder in my eyes.

The thing with Locke that I felt was worthwhile was that in this episode he didn't return.  He didn't come back to even check on Boone, that's a major character turn to me. It goes way beyond the previous "mysterious Locke does his own thing" view people had of him, he left Boone for dead after obviously lying about how Boone got injured.  That's a major change in the relationships of these characters and the implications of a hostile Locke to the rest of the survivors is huge.

Shannon's character make a big leap forward too.  Before, I had not liked the Sayid/Shannon thing mainly because the show gave us no reason to see it, or buy it in any way.  It seemed like out of the blue, one day they were an item, okay whatever.  But this episode gave them a chance to really interact,  and I can buy into it now.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 09:08:05 PM »

Kevin is correct.  I wasn't saying that they replied there were no survivors but that whoever was on the other end of the radio was claiming that they were the survivors of flight 815.

Is it possible there is another group out there that we haven't seen yet?

Kevin thanks for the help  Tongue

Regards,
Pig
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 12:21:42 AM »

But that IS the show, that is how it works. When has the show told the audience anything? Basically, we don't really know anymore now than we did after the episode where they heard the French woman's radio message. Even after seeing the Frenchwoman and hearing from her(twice!), we have more questions than answers regarding her. In fact, since she might be crazy, you could say we have NO answers regarding her part in all this.

Ok that is true... the show is generally questions and no answers but my point was that of all the shows, this was .. just kinda boring--- sure spoilers form ABC telling us for weeks that someone would die might have ruined the death of Boone but geeze, a frigging PLANE fell oh him so was his death a surprise?  Nope

Claire had a baby... well, she was 9 months pregnant so no surprise there.

Claire and Boone were the 2 biggies and I think not too many people were surprised at what happened to them.

Jack  was indeed pretty kick butt in this ep though, I agree completely.

I just feel that compared to other episodes this one was...lacking.  It seems that I am in the minority here.... oh well, at least we have  3 hours of finale- and I doubt very seriously that ANYONE will be disappointed or pissed that we have to wait until September for new episodes.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 12:33:21 AM »

Quote from: "walTer"
I just feel that compared to other episodes this one was...lacking.  It seems that I am in the minority here....

Minority, yes.  Alone, no.  Still think Jack's a boring character.  Being willing to amputate does nothing for me.  (The unnecessary questions of Sawyer the week prior, however...)

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: