http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 03/02/05 - HOLY CRAP!  (Read 3730 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2005, 02:17:03 AM »

:shock:

Those of you wanting island intrigue, it was out in force tonight baby!!! So... it's possible we found out how everyone wound up on the island but the question now is why. What do those numbers truly mean, other than the possible combination to the hatch? What did Hurley do to wind up in the psychiatric ward where he met the guy who passed on the numbers to him? Damn! More questions!!! Worst of all - six weeks to the next new episode!! ARGH!!!!!

/dies

Highlights:

Jorge Garcia really fleshing Hurley's character out
The bonus ball's number
Hurley's choice of vehicle post-win
"Still think there's no curse, ma?"
"Dude, I'm a big guy."
The Locke-Claire B-story, which had a great resolution
The revelations regarding Hurley's numbers
Hurley's admonishing the janitor
The very real possibility that Hurley is why the plane crashed
"Is someone shooting at us?"
The return of Russo
Russo and Hurley's conversation
"You have no idea how long I've waited to hear someone agree with me!"
"She says hey."
"Back home, I'm worth $156 million dollars." "Fine, don't tell me."

Grade: A

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:22:48 AM »

Six weeks?!  That stinks!  Hopefully they can keep their fan-base for that long.  Sure the die-hards will stick with it, but the more casual watcher might be tuned off by that delay.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 02:25:23 AM »

It's the normal March-April hiatus that a lot of shows go through. Then there is the final push into the May sweeps finales.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:36:19 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
It's the normal March-April hiatus that a lot of shows go through. Then there is the final push into the May sweeps finales.

Eh, I suppose that makes sense.  Though, with comedy shows and such that have no sort of connectivity between viewings, it's probably easier on viewers of those sort of shows opposed to viewers of a more driving, streamlined, "everyshow pertains to the plot" kind of show like Lost.

Wow was that crazy babble or what.  Anyways, yeah stinks that there's going to be a break but I suppose it makes logical sense.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 02:50:10 AM »

Now Im curious just how far back the island and the numbers go. If there were there when French Girl's group got there..and were the cause...just how long has it been going on?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 03:11:57 AM »

Nazis.  I bet it's Nazis.

Yep.  A secret Nazi base in the Pacific.

Just you watch.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:12:50 AM »

That's what got to me. The woman Hurley tracked down said the bean counter had been using the jar of beans for 40 years. So where did they come from and what specific relevance do those numbers have for the island?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 03:38:56 AM »

Hurley ownsa box company according to his accountant....Locke used to work fora box company...hmmm.

Also Sawyer was reading a book while the others worked on the raft...the book was "A Wrinkle in Time"....significant?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:17:19 AM »

Is there a Lost episode recap by WBS that doesn't merit a "Holy Crap!"  ??   :lol:

This episode was great.  I've been waiting for Hurley's story and now I see why they waited (if he really is the reason the plane went down that is).

Always good to see Claire.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 05:14:01 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Hurley ownsa box company according to his accountant....Locke used to work fora box company...hmmm.

Sweet... merciful... crap...  :shock:

Totally missed that one. I heard that he owned a box company, but I never thought about it possibly being the one Locke worked for. That would tie into how Locke and Hurley were connected, so the question now is what else did Hurley own or have connections to that also touched the other people on the plane? Because we already know that literally everyone on the plane was connected in some form or fashion prior to getting on that plane, so if Hurley winds up being the unifying key, then that's just wicked cool. Question: What business did he own that went up in flames? Was it the box company or something else? The wife says it's a shoe company, but I want clarification from the TiVo Nation. biggrin

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 05:34:29 AM »

Yeah was some type of shoe place.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 05:37:18 AM »

It wouldn't be so bad, but they've had so many repeats and delays it's annoying and I'd assume harmful towards their ratings
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 05:47:16 AM »

So I tuned into again...hey it was Hurley's episode, I HAD to see it, hehe.

Did anyone catch anything more about what happened after the two guys heard the message in the So Pacific? I was talking to someone and didn't hear what the guy's widow said about it.

Specifically, did they report it to their commanding officers? If they are out there in a Listening Post, and they actually hear a mysterious broadcast of seemingly meaningless strings of numbers, isn't that EXACTLY the kind of thing they are out there to detect & report on, and wouldn't that start a huge search by the military? And shouldn't that have led to the military finding the island?

Unless of course the military knows all about that island already...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 05:56:02 AM »

Wicked, wicked, wicked episode.

Locke must have worked for Hurley's box company, cause it would only make sense with this show.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the radio transmission. How long had Russo's message been transmitting? I could have sworn it was sixteen years. But I could have sworn the wife of the Australian soldier said her husband heard the numbers being transmitted ten years ago. That's impossible, since Russo changed the message to broadcast her SOS, thereby ending the numbers transmission sixteen years ago. Have I mixed up the timing there?

(Of course, if the island is in the future or something else entirely, then my logic is irrelevant, and with this show, who's to say what's really going on.)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 06:09:47 AM »

A couple of more thoughts:

Did anyone else feel Hurley's 'I want answers' rant to the Frenchwoman was the show's producers acknowledging the complaints of viewers like me? As in 'yeah, we hear you, we may not give you answers but we know you want them'.

Does this mean the only way Hurley can end this 'curse' is to die, maybe by killing himself? After all, the only other person we know of to 'use' the numbers killed himself to stop it.

Charlie is an ASS, a major league ASS. I've always thought so but I know that he, as a former hobbit, has a fanbase. However, his character is lame and unlikable. In the beginning, he left Jack behind. Now, after kicking the drugs(so he has no excuse now), he left Hurley behind. Then he INTERRUPTS Hurley's explanation, so he can make it all about Charlie, then he barks at Hurley when Hurley doesn't immediately continue when CHARLIE demands it. Then to top it off, he laughs at Hurley's revelation.  As if someone who is lying pulls $156 million out of the air.  If someone's going to lie, are they really going to pick a weird number like that?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 12:51:13 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"

It wouldn't be so bad, but they've had so many repeats and delays it's annoying and I'd assume harmful towards their ratings

I actually read the thread over at OO talking about how some may not watch the show again after last night because of the "hiatus".  My question pointed at that thread and the idea being brought up here is...exactly how much broadcast television do you watch?

I think many have been spoiled by 24 and (maybe) Alias this television season.  They both started in January and will have no breaks (24 for sure, Alias already had one week break) to the end of the season.  Most television shows have breaks between them...including long ones like Lost at the end of the season.

Most broadcast television shows run at 22 episodes a year, supposedly Lost will have 24 (including the 2-part pilot as two episodes), last night's was episode 18 so there are 6 left.  March is usually the time where stations start putting in mid-season stuff to try out and then they bring the big hitters back for April and May (the sweeps month where all the advertising dollars for shows are figured out depending on ratings).

I just laugh when I read that they will lose tons of watchers.  With things like Season Pass on Tivo (I don't own one, I rely on looking to see if my shows are new or not) there is really no excuse to not knowing when new shows are on.  And we can't compare broadcast shows to cable shows (the OO thread touched on this), they are a different beast.  If you want to throw that comparison in think of the Sopranos and how long we still have to wait until the final season is shown in 2006.

Anyway, enough about that.  I already knew about Hurley's story via spoiler websites, so I was prepared.  However the spoiler websites only touch on the plot points.  I thought last night's episode was fantastic and I'll be there watching when the show returns in April.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 01:34:08 PM »

I understand that, and I've always known that March is typically a slow month, but what was the excuse for the earlier repeats (granted 1 was the State of the Union).   That's what pisses me off,  they already had too many breaks.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 01:58:20 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"

Does this mean the only way Hurley can end this 'curse' is to die, maybe by killing himself? After all, the only other person we know of to 'use' the numbers killed himself to stop it.

I don't know the answer to that, but this episode leads me to believe my whole theory on what is happening is correct.  Hurley needed "closure" on this whole curse thing.  In this episode, he at least got partial closure in that someone finally agreed with him that the numbers were cursed.  Up until meeting the French lady (who conviently shows up to help him deal I might add), his mom, his financial advisor, and the lady he went to see totally blew him off as a nutjob for believing it.  He was monumentally relieved that someone agreed with him.  

Obviously the numbers play a role somewhere down the line though, and I'm sure his story will have more to it later also.

I have also come to the conclusion (albeit a bit late) that one of the reasons Locke is semi clued-in as to how the island operates is because his "dilemma" was just as much a physical one as a mental one.  Going from unable-to-walk to able-to-walk is a very obvious clue-in that there is something afoot.  Couple that with his up close and personal encounter with "whatever", and it becomes apparent he would be the most enlightened at this point.   He is a sharp cookie in his own right though also... the whole Walt thing.  Good call there buddy!  I'm curious if he figured it out before or after the little show he put on to stop Michael the Moron from beating the shit out of Jin.  My guess is before.

The show has done a great job of really making me "feel" for the Asian couple.  Those two have one hell of a screwed up situation.  I feel bad for both of them, although being male myself, I feel worse for Jin than I do his wife.  It could be argued he needs to communicate better with her, but Jesus she needs to get a freakin' clue.

A couple things I am really unsure of as to how they "fit" are 1. Claire's baby and all that psychic bullshit associated with it.  2.  Walt's "gift".  Where the hell are they going to take that little can of worms?

Still like the show.  And special thanks to Eco for clueing me in on how to view the episode I missed.  You da man!  

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 02:24:04 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
I understand that, and I've always known that March is typically a slow month, but what was the excuse for the earlier repeats (granted 1 was the State of the Union).   That's what pisses me off,  they already had too many breaks.

December and January are usually repeats and skipped weeks because of Christmas and the upcoming February sweeps.  It's tough to spread out 24 episodes over about 36 weeks.  That means 12 weeks with nothing on (usually December, January and March, with some others interspersed).  Since most series run 22 episodes, that means 14 weeks that have to be filled.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 02:36:50 PM »

Been lurking here quite a while and finally registered so I could comment on this show.

That was one of the most enjoyable hours of TV I've ever seen. Hurley rules. A lottery winner of all things. LOL Of all the speculation about his story, that one never came up. slywink

"She says "Hey""...lol

Great show....well, maybe not great, but far better than 99.999% of the dreck on these days.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »

Great episode; Lost remains a 'must see' for me.  Am I the only one who kind of wants to try playing those numbers now (but is too chicken, even though I know the curse is fictional, I'd be too paranoid).

The long wait until the next episode stinks, but I got so conditioned to that when I was watching Buffy/Angel that it just really doesn't bug me that much.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 02:57:38 PM »

Quote from: "LoneStarSpur"
Been lurking here quite a while and finally registered so I could comment on this show.

-Randy

Welcome.  

Don't be a stranger!

And I agree with your "She says Hey." comment.  Very funny stuff.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 06:40:52 PM »

I wanted to bring this up again, only because it's been bugging me:

Quote from: "Dafones"
The one thing I'm having trouble with is the radio transmission. How long had Russo's message been transmitting? I could have sworn it was sixteen years. But I could have sworn the wife of the Australian soldier said her husband heard the numbers being transmitted ten years ago. That's impossible, since Russo changed the message to broadcast her SOS, thereby ending the numbers transmission sixteen years ago. Have I mixed up the timing there?

(Of course, if the island is in the future or something else entirely, then my logic is irrelevant, and with this show, who's to say what's really going on.)

Anyone remember the timing of the two different broadcasts?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 07:23:34 PM »

It was broadcasting for 16 years, which goes with how long Russo has been on the island. My guess is the transmission was broadcasting for a lot longer than that. What I'm dying to see is the radio tower by the black rock, because Russo either couldn't or wouldn't shut it down, but she could change the transmission to a degree. On the other hand, she could only add to it and not stop the numbers from being transmitted (so far as I know).

And Loren you're right - I too think it's pretty silly for people to abandon a show because it's on hiatus for 6 weeks. That's how things have been for the last umpteen years in broadcasting and only recently major networks have started changing their schedules around.

Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »

my fave moment:

Hurley "I'm spry!"

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 10:32:53 PM »

It is my understanding that the Frenchwoman DID change the numbers, Hurley's numbers were only written down by her(or someone else). She was broadcasting some other numbers.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 01:13:34 AM »

I thought she changed the message to her SOS one instead of the numbers.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 01:17:12 AM »

I think I can clear up some of the confusion about the two transmissions.  When Hurley visited the Australian woman in the desert, she said that her husband had heard the transmission of the numbers "over sixteen years ago."  Therefore, he heard it prior to Rousseau's decision to change the message, and possibly before she even arrived on the island.

Rousseau decided to changed the broadcast message after she killed the remnants of her team.  The original broadcast of the message does not continue -- in the episode where Shannon decodes Rousseau's message, the only numbers mentioned was in the "iteration" count which said how many times the message has been repeated.

-Autistic Angel
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 08:37:04 AM »

Okay, so the Australian military man heard the cursed numbers more than sixteen years ago. That's fine, that fits in with the show's chronology. Don't know why I thought he heard it ten years ago.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Riker's Beard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »

I'm not certain on this, but I think the French woman's name is spelled Rousseau--like the French philosopher.  This makes more sense to me as, I think someone else has already pointed out, Rousseau was the French philosophical counterpart of British philosopher John LOCKE during the Enlightenment in Europe.

But that could be a coincidence.....
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 04:31:14 PM »

I think my favorite part was when they changed the angle on Hurley as he was talking to the French woman and he stopped looking like happy-lucky guy and more like I'll-break-your-skull-with-a-rock guy.  Makes me very curious what he was in the mental hospital for.  I guess that is a ready made future flashback.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »

"She said Hey..."

Most understated line in the show ever...man, she TORTURED Sayeed... and after all that, she said "HEY"???

Best line for me so far.

I missed the Box company tie-in...good find.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 06:39:46 PM »

R.B., nothing in this show is coincidence. What that makes me wonder is if Rousseau will play a greater roll in the future, and be involved with a camp that is at odds with Locke's group.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 02:46:28 PM »

New Lost tonight...friggin' finally.

(thought I'd bump this rather than start a new thread)

-Randy

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005, 03:29:32 PM »

Heh...already have.  Although only one person replied to it...maybe people don't care Lost is new tonight  :shock:

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Heh...already have.  Although only one person replied to it...maybe people don't care Lost is new tonight  :shock:

oops...sorry...didn't see it.

-Randy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: