http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 02/23/05 - HOLY CRAP!  (Read 1649 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:11:08 AM »

WHOA!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic episode tonight. Absolutely terrific. Great character interactions, fantastic backstory which we actually cared about, I loved it!!!

Daniel Dae Kim has become something of a running gag since once of the LOST drinking games is "take a shot whenever the Asian guy pops up in the background," but he took center stage tonight and proved just what it takes to make an unsympathetic character sympathetic. Basically, what didn't happen for me last week happened this week - I actually dug the character's history and really wanted to know more. The reveal at the end also floored me because not only did I not see it coming, but it made sense. As usual, the highlights:

-"... in Translation" (for whatever reason it took me a while to get the joke)
-"Bought myself a ticket, doc."
-Jin's answer to Sun's father regarding giving up his dreams
-The building of the raft, which actually looked pretty cool
-the revealing details of Jin and Sun's marriage
-Sun in a bikini, which would be a highlight of any TV show biggrin
-"Didn't see that coming."
-the continuity that Jin still wears the handcuff
-the blink-and-you-missed-it reveal of a certain LOST character on the TV (this one shot me up out of my seat)
-Boone and Sayeed's conversation
-Locke and Shannon's conversation
-"Looks like dinner to me."
-Locke proving again that he rules all
-the final 20 minutes or so which was about the best drama we'll see on TV this week
-"Son of a bitch!"
-the final shot which had to be one of the funniest sight gags I've recently seen

Overall grade: A

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 02:22:26 AM »

It was a really nice episode tonight.

I'm glad I've gotten over the fact that we aren't gonna learn any island mysteries ever.

So that was Hurley on the TV I saw, eh?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 02:36:29 AM »

Yes, tonight's episode was phenomenal.  It isn't a casual statement when I say, as a huge fan of the series, that this was probably the best Lost since Locke's episode.

Also, you should add to your list of highlights the title of tonight's episode: "...In Translation."

-Autistic Angel
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 04:21:16 AM »

I guess I will be the dissenting opinion.  I could have missed this one and not cared.   I am not interested the blossoming romance of Shannon and Said (Sayeed).  The fact that Jin only pops ups when they need him I always found annoying.  And the whole raft thing has always struck me as the Gilligan's Island solution.  

I wish the director took a little more deft approach to the behind the scene stuff.  Just 5 minutes an episode would be enough to establish what the hell the rest of the people on the island are up to.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:51:28 AM »

Another solid episode. I think now that I've come to understand that the show is just as much about the characters' pasts as it is about them on the island, I am able to enjoy it more. It still seems like there's less action playing out on the island than there were in the first few shows, but that may be because the first few shows needed to establish more. Still, the backstories always seemed to support the present narrative, but now it's like the island has taken a back seat to what happened in the past.

Hurley's cameo made me sit up real quick. So what's his story? None of the Americans seem to recognize him - is he some sort of Korean star? Is he actually a sumo wrester, like some suggested? Doesn't seem to know Korean at all.

Oh yeah ... I mentioned it in another Lost thread (the Michael one), but I'll say it again: Walt=Damien! That kid is such bad news. When I saw the boat burning, I though, jokingly, "Walt did it." Then I turned out to be right. But then at the time I thought he probably did it with his mind, so I guess I was only half right.

Unless he did do it with his mind, and we just haven't found out yet. Stupid demon child.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 06:00:43 AM »

According to an article in Entertainment Weekly, it's Sayid.

It also said that when the guy auditioned for the show, they liked him so much that they wrote the character of Hurley for him.  That's probably why they haven't done a backstory episode for him yet.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 07:01:26 AM »

"Hurley's cameo made me sit up real quick. So what's his story?"
I don't want to spoil anything here, but the TVGuide.com plot synopsis for next week reveals the basics of Hurley's backstory, and why he would have been on television.

This was definitely the best episode of any show I've seen this year.  I find Jin and Sun's backstory much more interesting than any of the other ones, and this episode was even better than their last one.  I'm actually more interested in what happens to these characters than about the island's mysteries.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 07:05:29 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Sorry, I'm confused ... what / whose comment is this a response to?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:20:51 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
WHOA!!!!!!!!!

As usual, the highlights:

-the blink-and-you-missed-it reveal of a certain LOST character on the TV (this one shot me up out of my seat)

Guess I blinked -where was this in the episode?
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 01:12:01 PM »

I thought I was the only one who caught Hurley on the television.  Man you guys are nuts.  smile

Good episode.  Notes:

Sun has gone from not having a character to being someone I want to see more about.  Awesome.

Michael becomes more annoying to me each week.

The mental tendency to "punch first and find out the truth later" bugs me as well.  The show has done it several times now.

The Asian lady is the hottest on the show.

I find it interesting that they broke up.  I hope they do NOT go with Michael and the Asian lady as their romance.  I hope Sun and his wife work out their issues.

Sawyer of all people should know not to judge things by first appearance.  He really annoyed me this episode.

We all agree, Locke owns you.  It was nice to finally see him step from the background tonight and address everyone together.

Was the last few minutes of watching Hurley supposed to be a setup for next week?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »

Quote from: "Pi"
Guess I blinked -where was this in the episode?

Hurley was on the TV that the Secretary's daughter was watching the first time Jin came around (and got the dog).

And yes, Hurley's story is finally revealed next week...and then we have about a month and a half of no Lost episodes if I remember.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »

NOW I understand why Jin trys to keep Sun all covered up...

I also caught the Hurley on TV moment.  Loved that.

Can I be the first to say this week "It looks like something major finally happens next week based on the preview"?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »

OK.  I was playing video baseball all night.

Where do I go for a full recap?

Or better yet, will it be replayed on any station at any time before the next episode?

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 02:47:20 PM »

Graham wrote:

I think that was for me (Said/Sayeed).  I know a guy named Said so that is the spelling I usually gravitate to but I will go with Sayid for the show.

With all the love I am seeing for the episode I am wondering why it just didn't sit that well with me.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »

Hurley's cameo made me sit up real quick. So what's his story? None of the Americans seem to recognize him - is he some sort of Korean star? Is he actually a sumo wrester, like some suggested? Doesn't seem to know Korean at all.

It looked to me like Hurley was getting into a car.  Whatever it was, though, it was definitely subtitled in an asian language -- presumably Korean.  I wonder if anyone has translated thost subtitles so we can find out what was going on....

I'd be more likely to believe that Hurley was on an Amazing Race-type reality show than that he was a sumo wrestler.  It's a common American misconception that sumo wrestlers are simply obese when, in fact, they're true athletes capable of incredible bursts of speed, strength, and balance.  Hurley's a big, likable dude, but he's no sumo wrestler.

-Autistic Angel
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 03:28:54 PM »

The korean subtitles say "Contest Winner, Los Angeles, CA."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »

The only reason I bring up the Sumo wrestling is because Hurley is a self titled warrior. A previous quote went along the lines of, "I'm something of warrior where I come from" ... or something like that. Anyone remember exactly what he said?

I don't want to watch the "next time on" clips anymore, because they're so damn deceiving. It's been two weeks in a row where I thought there was going to be major conflicts - hell, I thought Sawyer was going to shoot Jack last week, and thought the beach was going to be raided this week - and once again, next week looks like it's going to be the big one. Bah, stupid viewer manipulation!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 06:10:01 PM »

I thought Hurley said something like "Some people call me a warrior" -- I just figured he played D&D back home...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 06:47:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "Graham"

No one in particular.  I know that everyone has wondered how to spell his name.  Figured it would be a good thing to just post what the "official" spelling is.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
swizzlest
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 07:01:34 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
WHOA!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic episode tonight. Absolutely terrific. Great character interactions, fantastic backstory which we actually cared about, I loved it!!!

Daniel Dae Kim has become something of a running gag since once of the LOST drinking games is "take a shot whenever the Asian guy pops up in the background," but he took center stage tonight and proved just what it takes to make an unsympathetic character sympathetic. Basically, what didn't happen for me last week happened this week - I actually dug the character's history and really wanted to know more. The reveal at the end also floored me because not only did I not see it coming, but it made sense. As usual, the highlights:

-"... in Translation" (for whatever reason it took me a while to get the joke)
-"Bought myself a ticket, doc."
-Jin's answer to Sun's father regarding giving up his dreams
-The building of the raft, which actually looked pretty cool
-the revealing details of Jin and Sun's marriage
-Sun in a bikini, which would be a highlight of any TV show biggrin
-"Didn't see that coming."
-the continuity that Jin still wears the handcuff
-Boone and Sayeed's conversation
-Locke and Shannon's conversation
-"Looks like dinner to me."
-Locke proving again that he rules all
-the final 20 minutes or so which was about the best drama we'll see on TV this week
-"Son of a bitch!"
-the final shot which had to be one of the funniest sight gags I've recently seen

Overall grade: A

What, do you think you're JYoung now?  smile

Good review.  I agree.  Great episode!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: