http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 07:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 02/16/05  (Read 2047 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2005, 02:12:24 AM »

Really solid episode tonight, despite the nagging feeling I have about Sawyer trying too hard to be guilt-ridden and morose. Maybe it's just the actor playing him, but whenever he looks sullen (admittedly this is 90% of the time) I keep thinking he's just wanting to watch TV. Don't know why, but like I said, maybe it's just the actor playing him doesn't give good drama.

On the other hand, Sawyer's story was right out of the storybook of cliches, but it was well-told and I enjoyed the heck out of it. What I loved even more is that we still don't know why he was arrested the night Boone was in the police station, though we can guess he's eventually caught for what he did. The fact that Sawyer and Sayeed are now the two hearing the voices is pretty cool, and that entire sequence in the bar was terrific. Not much on the overall story front as it was more of a character piece, but a good solid episode nonetheless.

Highlights:

Sawyer hearing the voices
The brutality of the show's violence, which I'm still surprised ABC allows
"I get cramps."
Robert Patrick's cameo
Sawyer's drinking companion whose identity actually dropped my jaw
"Ran out of pies to throw at you."
Locke's story about the dog
Locke's smile when he recognizes what's going with Sawyer

B episode. Would have been a B+ but the resolution to Sawyer vs. The Boar was lame.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 03:23:51 AM »

I'm consistently impressed by the quality of Josh "Sawyer" Holloway's performance.  I think this guy is going to be a big, big star.

-Autistic Angel
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 04:00:28 AM »

B?  Thats it?

I definitlely though tonights episode was one of the more entertaining of the group.  Though Sawyers backstory was cliche it WAS done well.  I actually enjoyed it in comparison to Charlie's bore of a story last week.  And the terminator showed up?!?!  Thats awesome!

Now is a good time to break and remember how great Kate looked in this episode.  Ahhh.... back to the commentary.

Anyone catch what the voices were saying?  Sounded to me like "everything comes around"?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 04:08:58 AM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
B?  Thats it?

I definitlely though tonights episode was one of the more entertaining of the group.  Though Sawyers backstory was cliche it WAS done well.  I actually enjoyed it in comparison to Charlie's bore of a story last week.  And the terminator showed up?!?!  Thats awesome!

Now is a good time to break and remember how great Kate looked in this episode.  Ahhh.... back to the commentary.

Anyone catch what the voices were saying?  Sounded to me like "everything comes around"?

Eh, I'll bump it north to a B+ then. smile And did any one catch what the voices actually were saying? I got the feeling we were supposed to catch it, but I missed it.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 04:10:35 AM »

I really liked this one and I think it was because the mythology was set aside for a bit it just focused on the characters.  I didn't feel like I was going to get teased for nothing half way through with a hatch, or polar bears or giant jungle robots.  Just a nice story.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 05:39:03 AM »

Ha ha ... I'm glad you guys enjoyed the show, 'cause watching this ep made me think "filler". I wanted this episode to be what next week's looks like it's going to be. Still a solid show though.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 06:14:21 AM »

be prepared when we still don't know what's going on at the season finale.  I'm sure they'll leave a huge ass cliffhanger for another season.  Sometimes I feel I have a hook in my mouth and being dragged along for a few moments, then allowing me to rest, than yanking on that line once again.

I really liked this episode, and I just started watching Alias on DVD, and holy shit that' also a fun show, but with better pacing.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 08:28:24 AM »

Spoiler (?) for the finale:

I've heard someone gets offed permanently in the finale - i.e., no dream sequence deaths or magical resurrections.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 01:14:01 PM »

This episode was really good.  However, I've decided I will no longer watch any previews.  Last week's preview made this episode look like a love triangle episode, with Jack and Sawyer finally fighting over Kate.  Completely deceptive.  

Does anyone actually LIKE Kate's character?  I know, I know, "she's hot".  But if I hear "You tortured Sawyer", one more time, I will snap.  How come she never torments Sayeed with that crap?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »

The whisper was saying It All Comes Around, which is what Duckett said right before dying once Sawyer realised he had been set up.  I loved Hurley when he was talking about Ethan and what would happen.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
be prepared when we still don't know what's going on at the season finale.  I'm sure they'll leave a huge ass cliffhanger for another season.  Sometimes I feel I have a hook in my mouth and being dragged along for a few moments, then allowing me to rest, than yanking on that line once again.

I really liked this episode, and I just started watching Alias on DVD, and holy shit that' also a fun show, but with better pacing.

Stop at the end of the second season and just presume that every one lives happily ever after. It will save you many hours of pain in season three and season four. smile

That being said, I'm going to tune into Alias next week because of the return of a season one villain who we haven't seen in far too long. biggrin

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 02:43:16 PM »

This was a fantastic episode because it actually pushed some more hints along about the connections between castaways. Solid tension and consistent writing, worthwhile flashback!
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:14:57 PM »

Not a bad one at all.  My wife and I though looked at this several times on the DVR and not sure what to think.

When Charlie and Hurley are digging and talking about Ethan, we swear you can see Ethan's hand move and also notice that he looks like he is breathing.

Not sure if it was just bad editing but with the twists these guys give us also not sure if it wasn't a hint.

I don't know what to think but I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Ethan.

Pig
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Stop at the end of the second season and just presume that every one lives happily ever after. It will save you many hours of pain in season three and season four. smile

How many seasons is LOST slated for?  I have a feeling this could be dragged on to absurdity.

I don't knwo what he said, like I said above I thought it was "Everything comes around."  Which is quite LOST-ish, but they definitely made it audible enough to hear.  TiVO folks, get on that.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »

Anyone else catch the look that Locke gave Sawyer when he was talking about the boar?

I thought this was a decent episode.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

How many seasons is LOST slated for?  I have a feeling this could be dragged on to absurdity.

They have plans for three seasons right now, but I like the idea of each season being roughly 6 to 8 weeks on the island.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 05:56:14 PM »

Really, the only thing that bugged me about the ep was that they didn't kill the freaking boar.  I mean, I understand WHY he didn't kill it, symbolically, but aren't they on an island in a survival situation where every bit of food they could get is precious?

He may have been seeing a metaphor for his life.  Me, I'd be seeing a walking ham sammich!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 06:15:42 PM »

You may have seen a walking ham sandwhich, however you would have then also killed what I would speculate was the mother of the baby boar.  While the meat would be nice they should focus more on fishing and other more easily renewable food sources, such as the garden that the korean woman is working on.
Sunderer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 02:11:20 AM »

You guts MISSED the best part of the show: "That's why the Sox will never win the series."

"At this moment, you mean everything."
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 08:05:03 PM »

I thought the ep was outstanding, and I'm even more excited about the previews for tonight.  I think this is really going to be great.

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »

Quote from: "Nameless"
I thought the ep was outstanding, and I'm even more excited about the previews for tonight.  I think this is really going to be great.
Ditto

I also think this last Ep was very important for lost.  Its the first one to actualy connect any of the cast with each other pre crash.  The part where sawyer is talking to Jack's dad was one of the high points of the entire show for me.  It kinda validates all the flash backs we have watched while waiting to find out what the hell the monster in the jungle is.   That conversation was twice as powerful to us the viewers because we know so much about jack his dad and sawyer.

AttA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: