http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOST - 01/18/06 - FIRST HOLY CRAP of 2006!  (Read 2503 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2006, 03:14:05 AM »

THANK GOD! TWO WHOLE WEEKS OF PLOT!!!!!

Amazing what happens when you actually start revealing things and stop "alluding" to things, you know? Last week's episode I missed but caught up on this week and my mind was blown. Personally, I wasn't hugely surprised they went the direction they did with The Monster but I actually dug it. But the best part of last week was easily Mr. Ecko who rules all. Magnificent performance start to finish and his breakdown in the plane combined with his heartfelt prayer at the end easily trumped the blatantly stupid part of Michael not talking about the computer and the fact that the Nigerian plane wound up in the South Pacific.

Oh, and a major +1 for the line "What are you going to do? Hit me with your Jesus stick?"

Just sayin'. biggrin

A-

As for this week's episode, it ended with the build-up to what we all hoped would come -
Spoiler for Hiden:
War with the Others.

A very good Jack episode when compared against the other recent ones because this one felt like it was from the heart, involved however briefly the uber-hot Julie Bowen, and brought about the first genuine meeting with The Others. I'm now convinced more than ever that they're the original Dharma crew, but it's fun knowing one of my favorite character actors, MC Gainey, is the one leading them. That's just cool. biggrin

I got a kick out of the troika of Jack-Kate-"James" and how their relationships bounced around left and right. I'm not right back into being interested in this show, especially if they have a killer second half to the season. We finally got some resolution to what happened with Jack and his wife, understand now what drives Jack, yet still have some mysteries. For example, did anyone other than me notice that Jack didn't have his tattoos in the flashback?

+1 for random hot Italian chick

Spoiler for Hiden:
Major +1 for essentially getting rid of Michael for a while. One more WAAAAAAALLLLTTTT and I think I'll lose it. Though everytime he typed into the machine I kept thinking "The Matrix has Walt, Michael. Take the blue pill."

B+

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:19:22 AM »

Meh, I didn't really care for this episode, what little of it there was between the seeming deluge of commercials.  So the Others are basically a bunch of hillbillies?  I really thought that this episode kind of de-fanged them a bit and made them less interesting.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 03:26:53 AM »

I enjoyed it.

+1 that Julie is a hottie.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:15:16 AM »

I liked it.  Did you see Kate's reaction to Jack's lack of interest in her?  It was the kind of unspoken lack of interest a guy shows when he's moved on.  Kate picked up on that loud and clear, and didn't like it.  

I also liked the bomb his wife dropped on him:
Spoiler for Hiden:
"I'm leaving you.  Oh yeah, and I've been seeing someone else.

I'm the most happiest about getting a reprieve from Michael's whiney Walt screams.  I was worried when the episode started with Michael.  I don't think I could take another full episode with him at this point.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 04:46:25 AM »

Just because it's running through my head.

Waaaaaalllllttttt!!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 06:09:15 AM »

Train of thought near the end of the episode: "Entertaining ... entertaining ... entertaining ... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!" That's how you end an episode.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »

I loved it, THIS is what I've been watching this show for.  Mike's brain snapped, I'm convinced of that which means I don't think those messages were real.

I loved how grimy Locke and Sawyer(to a lesser extent Jack) looked as they set off.  THAT'S how I expect them all to look by now.  Too bad they cleaned up later.

I loved Sun putting Jin in his place.  Yeah they are back together but she still harbors a bit of the ol' "payback's a bitch" feeling, hehe.

Hurley's depiction of Libby to Charlie, and his view of his chances was great.

Sawyer/Kate still makes me gag, but I liked the symbolism of Kate being the one with the banana, hehe.

I didn't really find Claire all that hot before, especially compared to the competition on that island...but in this scene I thought she had the 'pagan Goddess' thing going on in full effect, maybe it's the hair:

Speaking of Goddesses, Monica Barladeanu needs to be made a regular in a show STAT!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Finally, I think it's significant that Jack asked the hag to help with his army.  He didn't go to the obvious choice of Sayid.  I believe Jack wants an army with no loyalties to the Sayid/Kate/Locke/Sawyer lineup.  Reminds me of Animal Farm when Napoleon takes the puppies and secretly trains them as his army.

No, no one mentioned the black cloud but hey, what else is new?
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 10:48:39 AM »

I thought the episode was good if you call like 20 minutes out of a full hour a good episode. WTF, there was an crapload of commercials.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 03:13:17 PM »

Loved it.  Thank Tivo for me not noticing the commercials.

It seems as though Sawyer knows the leader of the Others though?  "This isn't over between you and me, (name I forgot but it wasn't a 'skippy' type nickname)"

Michael may have ended up 'infected'?  He did seem pretty crazed.  But yet I still don't get why they didn't work on training the army to get Walt say three or four 'days' ago?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »

It seems as though Sawyer knows the leader of the Others though? "This isn't over between you and me, (name I forgot but it wasn't a 'skippy' type nickname)"

Its the same guy that shot him on the raft.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 04:00:54 PM »

Well I knew it was the same guy who shot him on the raft...  But I don't recall any sort of introduction of "Hi, my name is Zeke" before he took Walt and shot Sawyer.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

I think the moniker "Zeke" was just a hilbilly-type reference and not a reference to the hillbilly's real name.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »

Quote from: "jament"
I think the moniker "Zeke" was just a hilbilly-type reference and not a reference to the hillbilly's real name.

Guess I can buy that...  It's so easy to read too much into exchanges like that.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »

I thought it was an OK episode.  I still think the Kate/Sawyer flirting thing feels forced.  Maybe it's a lack of chemistry between the actors, but it falls flat everytime there's a touchy-feely scene with those two.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »

I guess I am in the minority, but I thought the episode was terrible.  They finally meet the others face to face, and they dont ask them who they are, why they are there, how they got there, or how long they have been there?  Obviously it is a TV show and I will give them some latitude, but come on any person in that situation would have asked them those questions immediately.

DrJones
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 11:13:19 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
I guess I am in the minority, but I thought the episode was terrible.  They finally meet the others face to face, and they dont ask them who they are, why they are there, how they got there, or how long they have been there?  Obviously it is a TV show and I will give them some latitude, but come on any person in that situation would have asked them those questions immediately.

DrJones

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Whoops this is the internet.   Ummmm +1
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 11:23:29 PM »

Usually it drives me insane when they don't talk amongst themselves and ask questions, but not in this case.  Jack had no leverage on Zeke, in fact they are lucky Zeke told them that much, and that was before we saw they had Kate.

Here's my take:  Zeke and friends are 'good' Others.   They don't kill when they don't need to.  They could have taken the weapons and then executed everyone.  Then they'd be well armed and the remaining Lost survivors wouldn't know what happened and be vulnerable to attack.  But they didn't.  They took Walt to protect him against the bad Others, like they would with any kids.  Zeke and friends probably consider Jack & the rest of the adults to be lost causes, as it were.  Zeke doesn't want Jack to join him, just to stay away.

Zeke scoffed at the idea that Ethan worked for him.  That's because Ethan didn't, Ethan worked for the bad Others.

Zeke implied, through his "man's house" analogy, that those hatches were known to them, and that Zeke and friends considered the contents to be theirs.  Yet Zeke has a crappy gun.  This tells me that Zeke did not have access to that hatch or similar ones, for whatever reason.  Possibly it was in the territory of the bad Others.

I think Zeke hopes that Jack & Co fight the bad Others and the two groups kill each other off, leaving Zeke and his horde sole survivors.  This would explain why he let Jack & Co go, he KNEW they would go back and  organize an armed resistance.  He wants that, so they will be ready to fight the bad Others.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »

Gameoverman, I'm afraid that's just too plausible to happen.  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 05:42:39 AM »

Possible NSFW but have come across several pictures of new hot chick.  Have to admit Jack really screwed up in not getting this one drunk and well you know the rest.

http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10672.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10673.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10674.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10675.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10676.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10677.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10678.jpg
http://romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/img/pics/romaniainedit.3xforum.ro/10679.jpg

:shock:

Pig
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 06:14:10 AM »

Yeah, she's slightly hot :shock:
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 08:12:01 AM »

Those links hate me in some foreign language.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Open a link and get the weird language page.  Then copy and paste the links into that window and they work.  They just don't like hotlinking obviously.  Probably not worth the trouble.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Dafones"

Open a link and get the weird language page.  Then copy and paste the links into that window and they work.  They just don't like hotlinking obviously.  Probably not worth the trouble.

No, it's worth the trouble. Wow. Hot.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 08:31:03 PM »

guy has a sharpshooter in the woods that can hit sawyer in the neck with no damage IN THE DARK = former military.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »

Or, since this is Lost, there could be an alternate explanation.

Sawyer, who has already been bulletholed at the hands of the Others, is already permeated by the fear that he may, indeed, be shot again during this confrontation.  Zeke only makes the gesture suggesting that someone could be shot, causing Sawyer's fears to manifest themselves with a gunshot and a graze wound opening on his neck.  Only Sawyer's new sense of invulnerability as projected onto him through his relationship with Kate saves him from death.

In the same manner, Jack manifests the ring of torches lighting up at Zeke's suggestion "Light them up!"  This is easily seen when checking frame captures of Jack's wedding as he and his wife are surrounded at the altar by the exact type of torches that appear to light in the jungle.  Note that his wife appears in the flashback during the episode as a harbinger of the jungle encounter.

Seems pretty clear to me.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

Another great episode, I'm happy now I stuck with it.  FINALLY we have someone(the hobbit in this case) give us a throwaway line "Kate sees a horse..." to let us know that, yes, they DO talk about things.  Jebus, was that so hard for those writers to do?!!?

Someone put the smack down on the hobbit.

Hurley's scene with the DUI, that was suitably weird.  All the time I'm thinking "if she gets as drunk as she looks in her mugshot, a guy like Hurley could drop a load  with her like Sawyer said".

The hobbit's brother selling his piano (his MOM gave him that!), wow that's someway to start your rehabilitation- ripping off your brother.  Shows what hardcore addiction does to people.

The nod to A Christmas Story was cool.

Locke...that sly old devil.  Not bad:

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »

Guess we're talking about Jan 25th's episode...

Spoiler for Hiden:

I was so hoping that Locke was going to take Aaron, so hoping. I thought that would have been the craziest way to end the show. Everyone thinks Charlie's insane, ranting and raving about protecting the baby. Claire wakes up one morning. Baby's gone. Everyone goes after Charlie, but he's still in the camp, and no baby. People are screaming at him, 'bout ready to rip his head off. And then a quick cut to the last shot of the show, which is Locke treking through the jungle, baby in hand.

He's got something weird going on with the kids. He was Walt's best friend for a long time, remember? Wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Anyway, solid episode. Liked the crazy holy vision that Charlie had. Thought the ending was rather subdued, by Lost standards, but then, it has left Charlie in a very interesting place, mentally, socially, emotionally. And, man Locke has Charlie's sugar to himself. I hope Locke doesn't use it to bully/bait/bribe Charlie into doing anything - though I kind of expect it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 11:52:37 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"

Looks like Orlando Bloom in drag...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »

I'm going the other way on this one.  I love Charlie's story, but I thought this was one of the worst episodes they've had.  Sure, saving the baby has great potential, but the whole baptism thing was way out of place and preposterous. (BTW- the show's baptism definition is all wrong....)

It seems to me they are begining to villify Locke a bit now.  Some of the camera angles made him look sinister.  Glad he gave charlie a beat down though...it was an appropriate response given the circurmstances.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 04:36:42 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Looks like Orlando Bloom in drag...

Nah.  Not pretty enough.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I'm going the other way on this one.  I love Charlie's story, but I thought this was one of the worst episodes they've had.  Sure, saving the baby has great potential, but the whole baptism thing was way out of place and preposterous. (BTW- the show's baptism definition is all wrong....)

It seems to me they are begining to villify Locke a bit now.  Some of the camera angles made him look sinister.  Glad he gave charlie a beat down though...it was an appropriate response given the circurmstances.

I disagree.

No one on that island is in a position of real religious authority, certainly not Eko hehe, so I think that they would have a slightly off kilter version of any religious rite if they were going to perform it themselves.  Out of place and preposterous?  Well, there's a floating black cloud and polar bears and horses on that tropical island(and a shark with a corporate logo on it swimming around), what meaning does 'out of place & preposterous' have in that context?

About Locke, he's ALWAYS been a creep and if not evil, then amoral.  The episodes have downplayed this for a while, but his character hasn't changed.

He does whatever it takes to accomplish his goals, which on that island seem to be directed by what he believes the island wants from him.  He sacrificed Boone to the island after all.   Everyone watching the show likes him though because he's a good character, interesting, well played, and well written.   He is not a hero.   Ask yourself this "if Locke believed the 'island' wanted him to kill off one of the survivors, would he do it?".  I think we all know the answer is yes.  He working on his own agenda and does not care who gets hurt in the process.  He is not straight out evil, he does not do harm for no reason.  But he is not limited by only doing what is 'good'.

Now that I think of it, that may be why I liked the episode and most other Lost fans didn't- it was all about having previously established stories advance in some way, it was not at all about introducing any NEW mysteries or questions.  This is what I've been wanting the show to do for a long time now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »

Now that I think of it, that may be why I liked the episode and most other Lost fans didn't- it was all about having previously established stories advance in some way, it was not at all about introducing any NEW mysteries or questions. This is what I've been wanting the show to do for a long time now.

I'm fine with episodes that don't advance the plot- as long as it centers around character development in some way.  Obviously, given what i said previously, this sounds opposite to it.

But for whatever reason, this episode just didn't do it for me. Glad you liked it, but it wasn't for me.

My favorite episodes have been about Dan Dae Kim's character and I can't wait till they explore him and his marriage some more.

I'm nowhere near ready to abandon this show like so many seem to be. It's still my most anticipated show of the week (until survivor comes back on slywink.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 10:02:20 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I'm fine with episodes that don't advance the plot- as long as it centers around character development in some way.  Obviously, given what i said previously, this sounds opposite to it.

My favorite episodes have been about Dan Dae Kim's character and I can't wait till they explore him and his marriage some more.

I'm nowhere near ready to abandon this show like so many seem to be. It's still my most anticipated show of the week (until survivor comes back on slywink.

Yeah, it didn't really advance anything, I used the wrong word there.  For me it fleshed things out a bit, I guess that's a better way to say it.  It addressed things I wanted to know more about, even if it meant treading water in general.

I agree about Jin & Sun.  Their episodes are always good.  I really like the way they play their characters.

I gave up on the show in the middle of last season, then came back at the end of the season for the finale, to see what was in the hatch. I figured I should at least reward myself that much for the time I invested watching this.  

Then this season has really grabbed me, it's more along the lines of what I was hoping the show would be.   Funny enough, reading Lost threads in couple of places, the diehard fans are the ones disappointed with this season.

Odd how things work out sometimes, isn't it?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 10:35:12 PM »

The message of this most recent episode seemed to be: The only thing worse than being a huge loser with a drug problem is to kick the habit, clean yourself up, devote yourself to the well being of a pretty girl, and finally realize that now you're just a huge loser *without* a drug problem.

It's an episode with no redemptive message whatsoever, and I loved it.

From the very first episode, it's been perfectly clear that almost nobody on or off the island liked Charlie, and absolutely nobody respected him.  Even a newcomer like Mr. Eko recognizes right away that Charlie is someone who can be bullied around without any objections.  This was the episode where all of that came to a head and Charlie was finally forced to face the fact that he's a selfish, dishonest, obnoxious twit who is, at best, tolerable.

I like the fact that Lost embraces characters who are flawed or even dislikeable, and this episode was a great payoff in that regard.

-Autistic Angel
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »

I hated it.  The silly stupid dreams made me want to puke.  When they were showing the diaper commercial part I almost walked away from the show forever.  Geez.

Okay, I've purged now.  Next episode please.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2006, 01:42:57 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
It's an episode with no redemptive message whatsoever, and I loved it.

Yeah, that's ultimately what sold me on the episode.  Had it ended with Claire accepting Charlie back, or Charlie proving to be the hero and right all along, or something like that, then I would have been pretty disappointed.  But the way they did end it was much more interesting and has made Charlie interesting for the first time since early Sesaon One.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2006, 02:50:14 AM »

Yeah, it didn't really advance anything...

Man, I thought it did, as far as the characters go. Charlie's in about the most interesting social and mental situation he's been in throughout the entire series. No one trusts the man that may ultimately be the islands prophet. He's hit bottom ... and it really has nothing to do with the drugs. His look at the end of the episode was awesome. He's just so detatched, so lost (no pun intedned).

(Oh yeah, and I didn't like how Charlie was made up to look drugged up when he took the baby at the end of the show. Unless the island affected him, or some shit. Didn't like the heroin eyes or bleached lips.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: