http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 03:58:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for TV recommendations  (Read 614 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »

I have my eye on the Sony BRAVIA KDL46EX720, seems to be a good price and covers the gamut on features I'd like. My budget is to stay as close to $1000 as possible.

I don't actually require 3D, so if there are any TVs out there close in price that blow the one I linked away minus the 3D, I'd be interested.

Thanks for any suggestions  Fabulous
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:00:03 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »

Also looking at the VIZIO-XVT473SV as a non-3D option.

Sean Lama
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »

First off you need to pick between LED, LCD and Plasma.   Ill start out by saying, if you dont plan on hanging it on a wall, then dont dismiss plasma, it is the best bang for your buck.  If plasma is in your plans then definitely look at Panasonic.  They are the best out there right now.
If youre looking at LCD,   I have a Samsung LCD that is fantastic.  Samsung LCDs have across the board excellent reviews.  Ive had mine for over a year now and have absolutely no regrets or issues with it.
 Im really not sure on LED, who has the best out there right now.

I can highly recommend you check out Slickdeals.net  when checking prices.  Their hot deals forums are awesome for pretty much anything and they always ferret out the best prices on tvs.  here a link to the hot deals forum:    http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »

Hmm you seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum there.  From Sony (I feel are overpriced) to Vizio (a solid but more budget brand).  Definitely pick your tech first as Rshetts2 suggest.  However, ignore the plasma on the wall thing.  That is not true anymore.  They come in 1.4" (most under 2" thick)now.  Basically cost wise it goes : Plasma, LCD, LED form cheapest to most expensive (generally) Some companies come out with new models twice a year so if you shop the most recent discontinued one you can save a ton of $.  I've seen Samsung do it three times in a  year.  

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »

I have a Panasonic plasma (and it's not on a wall), and I can confirm what rshetts said.  It's pretty great.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 25, 2011, 02:54:35 PM

I have a Panasonic plasma (and it's not on a wall), and I can confirm what rshetts said.  It's pretty great.

I have two Panasonic plasmas (one on the wall), and they are AWESOME.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »

Back when I bought my plasma, I really wanted a Panasonic, heard nothing but great things about them... but there was a three month wait. Ended up with a Samsung (which is not on a wall as I didn't want it there) and it has been great for us.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »

I like Panasonic for plasma, Samsung for LCD.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »

When I did my shopping last December, I wound up with a 46" Samsung LCD (LN46C630) for around $800.  It got stellar reviews, and I've been really happy with it.  Black levels are surprisingly solid, even for an LCD, and it looks really nice.  I also took a look at the lower-end Panasonic plasma, but there was a graininess to it that I really didn't like.  In order to get up to the level I wanted, it was going to be closer to $1100.  

Basically, go into the stores, look at the different brands/models, and try and play with their settings.  The floor models usually have all kinds of motion smoothing processing turned on, which makes everything look like soap operas, so make sure to turn that off.  Also keep an eye out for matte vs. glossy finish screens.  With glossy screens, glare is potentially an issue.  My last TV had a glossy screen, and I'm much happier now that I have a matte screen.

As for LED sets, there's two different kinds: edge lit and local dimming.  Edge lit just means that instead of fluorescent tubes lighting up the screens like in LCDs, they use LEDs.  This lets them make the set thinner and lets them charge more, but there's no real advantage.  Local dimming puts the LEDs behind the screen, and they can be turned off or down in certain areas so the screen actually gets darker, which means better blacks.  These sets really are better than LCDs, but they're usually way more expensive.  Most of the reasonably priced LED sets you see now are edge lit, and probably not worth the extra money unless you really want a thin set.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

I just had my new 55" Panasonic plasma (55VT30) delivered last weekend and it's awesome...puts my previous Sony SXRD to shame.  That said, it's definitely not a TV that's even remotely close to fitting within your budget...highly recommend it if you're willing to pay the price though icon_cool

As for other sets, I have two friends who recently purchased the Sony 46EX720 and they're both very happy with their choice.  It falls pretty much in the middle in terms of both quality and price for a 46" LED/LCD.  It's a pretty well-reviewed TV with a lot of features, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.  There is something very important to consider about that set though...the added cost if you want to take advantage of either the wireless internet or 3D features.  The EX720 has an ethernet jack on the back if you want a wired connection to the internet, but it doesn't include the $70-80 Sony adapter that's required for a wireless connection.  If you want to try 3D, there's a substantial additional cost for that as well...$70 for each pair of glasses, plus $50 for the 3D transmitter that syncs the glasses with the TV.  Unlike many other manufacturers, Sony doesn't build wifi or the tech to sync the glasses into their lower-end sets, so you have to spend a little more for these additions.  

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

For gaming is there a difference in quality between 120hz and 240hz?

Also, Chaz I'm looking at your TV on Amazon, the 46" Samsung LCD LN46C630. They have them used for a little under $600 which seems like a really good deal. I completely forgot about these Samsungs...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:50:37 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 25, 2011, 05:47:18 PM

For gaming is there a difference in quality between 120hz and 240hz?

Also, Chaz I'm looking at your TV on Amazon, the 46" Samsung LCD LN46C630. They have them used for a little under $600 which seems like a really good deal. I completely forgot about these Samsungs...

Probably not.  I suspect that the actual differences between 120hz and 240hz is pretty much academic.  One of the selling points for me on my TV was that it handles 24fps output for blurays perfectly, which not all 120hz sets do, apparently.  It's worth noting that over on AVS, there's a pretty vocal debate going constantly about gaming lag on TVs, and Samsungs are usually pegged as being really bad for gaming due to high lag.  I haven't had any problems with mine, even when playing Rock Band on it, and believe me, if it were unplayable, I'd know.  I'm a professional.  slywink  As with anything on AVS, take it with a grain of salt.  My personal opinion is that the lag problem is overblown, but I don't claim to be right all the time.

$600 is a pretty good price, though I'm always hesitant going used.  Of course, my $800 price was for an open box unit, but I'm pretty sure it was brand new anyway.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »

Did anyone mention on AVS which TVs had the lowest lag?

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »

I honestly don't remember, but if you do a search for gaming lag over there, you'll probably find multiple threads.  Of course, they pretty much all come down to the usual AVS cranks complaining about 3ms of lag.  For the vast majority of people, you're unlikely to ever notice any lag.  I certainly never have. 

My TV does have a gaming mode that drastically reduces or eliminates what lag there is, but it does it by turning off all processing and image settings, which doesn't look nearly as good as my tweaked settings, so I never use it.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »

I have my PC and 360 hooked up to my Samsung and have never noticed any lag.  But definitely do your due diligence, everyone is different and what looks great to me may look a bit off to you.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »

So if you guys had a choice between a 55" Panasonic plasma or a 55" Samsung LED LCD for similar price and features (1080p, 3D, Smart TV, plenty of inputs, 2 pair of glasses, etc), is there any reason to pick one over the other? 

I checked them out in the store and personally thought that the Samsung was clearer and more crisp, but the salesman said the Panasonic was always going to be more crisp.  Of course, he was also spouting other nonsense about LCDs that just wasn't true (this was Best Buy, after all), so I don't take his opinion for much.

Even though the Panasonic says 600Hz I'm guessing with a 240Hz LCD there is basically no noticeable lag.  Heck, I have an older 60Hz LCD and don't really notice it there. It seems like the new LED LCD TVs have done away with the matte screens and are almost all glossy now, which is a bummer, and the Panasonic plasmas at least had some sort of light scattering in the screen.  It's hard to accurately judge reflections in a giant warehouse with little natural light coming in, though.

My budget isn't really set, though the sets I was looking at were in the lower $2000 range, does anyone have specific recommendations?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »

This 47" Vizio seems pretty popular from what I can see, in terms of features for the price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E3D470VX/15992333

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »

I have a 55" Vizio  LCD and I love it. One of the less heralded features is that the HDMI audio can actually be configured to negotiate higher than 2 channel sound.

eg:
HDMI from PS3,PVR,360 -> TV
Optical from TV -> receiver.

That way I never have to change my audio channel on the receiver, and switching sources on the set switches the receiver.

95% of TVs out there only do 2 channel from TV out, whereas every vizio I've seen allows you to change what the TV negotiates to the devices, and outputs it properly.

Lastly, I'd get LED over LCD - regional backlight control = better black. This is the only strength besides cost that plasma has, and doesn't have the burn-in weakness.

Before anyone jumps on me re: Plasma burn-in (on a Samsung no less) Mikagami bought a Sammy from Costco, and within 3 months he had horrid burn-in.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:22:14 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 04, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

I have a 55" Vizio  LCD and I love it. One of the less heralded features is that the HDMI audio can actually be configured to negotiate higher than 2 channel sound.

eg:
HDMI from PS3,PVR,360 -> TV
Optical from TV -> receiver.

That way I never have to change my audio channel on the receiver, and switching sources on the set switches the receiver.

95% of TVs out there only do 2 channel from TV out, whereas every vizio I've seen allows you to change what the TV negotiates to the devices, and outputs it properly.

Lastly, I'd get LED over LCD - regional backlight control = better black. This is the only strength besides cost that plasma has, and doesn't have the burn-in weakness.

Before anyone jumps on me re: Plasma burn-in (on a Samsung no less) Mikagami bought a Sammy from Costco, and within 3 months he had horrid burn-in.

Plasma burn in is basically a thing of the past. Todays plasmas have pixel shifting in one form or another that virtually eliminates burn in.  There are also steps you can take to avoid burn in especially during the first 100 hours of use on a plasma.  If you get plasma burn in these days its because you didnt follow the manufacturers recommendations. 

heres an article about plasma burn in for reference:   http://reviews.cnet.com/plasma-burn-in-seven-things-you-need-to-know/

this link here

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »

I'm going to itemize a list of compromises that makes me scratch my head at the "go plasma" route:

• Burn-in thing of the past? His model was from last year. He had the TV for over 30 days before it happened. After an hour's play on BC2, he had the map and ammo burned in, IIRC. Not image retention. Burn-in.
  • Pixel shifting can be disorienting, and clearly the technology is flawed if it has to compensate by moving the image around to prevent burn-in.
  • Having to watch ~50 movies worth of time at a compromised image quality (brightness/contrast reduced, etc) doesn't seem like a good value proposition, and kind of a crappy selling concept. At least when you buy unripened fruit, you can tell when they're ready for general consumption.
  • Highly reflective, even by today's standards. I had a 42" plasma for a week in late nov/early dec. It went back. The room it was in wasn't a super-bright room either.
  • Can't lay it down or have it turned upside-down for any reason (including shipping/transport).

These are limitations. Yes, they are cheaper, but with LED and better black and grey images (coupled with higher refresh rates) means that the LED (certainly for a gamer) is a better bet.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:02:26 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 04, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

Lastly, I'd get LED over LCD - regional backlight control = better black.
Local dimming (or regional backlight) is not a given on LED TVs. Most LED TVs these days are the edge-lit type because it lets them make very thin TVs (it's probably cheaper for the manufacturer too).  The downside is that lighting the screen from the edges can cause uneven backlighting.  If you want to go this way you need to look for a TV that says it uses a local dimming full array LED design.

(HBZ)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 11:36:26 PM »

Well, I decided to just go ahead and get a Samsung LED LCD.  It does have local dimming (or micro dimming as they're calling it this year), so that should hopefully be nice.  Thanks for the input, guys!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: