http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for thoughts on an MP3 player  (Read 1341 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 08:29:56 PM »

The wife and I are heading off at the end of next week on our honeymoon, and she's looking for an MP3 player while on the slopes. Does the collective here have any suggestions on MP3 players that don't feature the sequential letters i-P-o-d? We're looking for something in the $100-$150 range. If an iPod is right around there in price, then we'll consider it. All thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 09:04:50 PM »

well, i was going to suggest a zen micro, but they're out of your price range. :-/

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 09:36:06 PM »

Probably want something like this.  It's a flash MP3 player, meaning no hard drive and it has pretty good battery length it seems.  Having no hard drive is usually better for the thing you'll be doing (I'm guessing skiing), not that the iPod or the rest of the HD-based MP3 players would necessarily have a problem, but the possibility is there.

However, the iPod is your best bet along with the Dell DJ and Creative Zen line...they all do great, but they are also all out of the price range.  However they all will hold far more songs than the iRiver will.  If you're serious about an MP3 player and don't want a "stopgap" so to speak, I'd spend the extra money on one of those personally.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 11:14:43 PM »

Yeah I just got the Dell DJ (20 GB) and I love it.  Sounds great, lot's of capacity and supports the formats I want as well.  It also will work with Windows Media Player 10 flawlessly so I don't have to install any extra software to bloat up my computer any more than it already is.  smile

Course they are in the 200 dollar range so it's kind of not an option i guess.  Dell has a 5 GB model that's like a hundred and a half I think.  The cool thing about mp3 players is that you can buy an FM transmitter and then play your mp3 player list on any stereo whether it's car or home.  smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 11:45:24 PM »

I've got a 128mb flash player (RCA Lyra) I'd let go pretty cheap.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 06:32:55 AM »

I had never seen or held an ipod in person until yesterday.  A friend got one for xmas and asked me to help him get situated, since I'm a techie(at least more so than he).

WOW!!  Where do I start?  It's a mini ipod and dammit, it impressed the hell out of me. The controls are sheer genius and it looks and feels damn cool.  He has a PC and teaching him to use itunes to rip tracks, organize his library, transfer tracks to his ipod, buy music- it was all a breeze, he couldn't be happier.  I'd have to rate it as one of the niftiest tech gadgets I've ever seen.

After that experience, ipod would be the only way I'd go for an MP3 player if I was gonna get one(which sadly I'm not any time soon frown ).
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 03:18:23 PM »

I got a 512 Meg Iriver over Christmas and I love it.  It just feels very solid something that a lot of flash MP3 players fail to do.

I also love having an FM player.  I like my music but I am an NPR junkie so I need to be able to also catch All Things Considered on the way home.  

I find that 512 Megs is practically more music than I can listen to in a week with how much time I spend with it so that is more than enough.

I originally found the Iriver brand when I was looking at MP3 player recommendations on a running site.  Lots of runners found it to be a soild machine.  I must agree.  It takes a good beating while running and doesn't seem to mind

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 03:18:54 PM »

True enough, but with the money they charge for that we can afford a good digital camera for our trip and frankly, that's where our money is best spent. Fireball informed me last night that the Flash-based version of the iPods will start hitting soon, right after we leave naturally. smile Oh well. Warning, PM me on the one you've got if you don't mind. Thanks!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 03:52:12 PM »

We've got a first-gen iPod we can loan you for the trip.  We use it sporadically at best.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 04:02:16 PM »

If you need more than 5 gigs, you're also welcome to borrow my 15 gig iPod. The neat thing is that since it syncs to a computer, you can plug it into your PC, it'll wipe away my music and sync on yours, and when you give it back, the reverse'll happen when I connect it to my Mac.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 04:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Fireball informed me last night that the Flash-based version of the iPods will start hitting soon, right after we leave naturally.

Don't worry - they're still rumor and speculation at this point.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »

Apple's purchase of a ton of flash memory is not a rumor. Whether or not they're going into iPods is supposition, but it is a logical one.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 04:34:02 AM »

My Fiance and I just got Nomad Zen Xtras from creative, the 30gb model is only $219  which is a lot closer to your price range and it's fares comparibly to the ipod, holds more music for less and has better battery life but the interface isn't as good. You could also opt for the Zen Touch for 239, even more iPod like  but has a whopping 24 hr battery life and supports more music file types.

Both are made by Creative and while their software is so-so you can use Media Player to load up all your music. We both love ours...

As an aside, the Dell DJs are pretty much Nomad Zen's made for Dell, very good price on the smaller one, 199, and it is tough to beat that value.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: