http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a pill dispenser...  (Read 498 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

So, I've been trying to find a pill dispenser and haven't come up with what I'm looking for, so figured I see if anyone has come across something...

What I'm looking for is this:
1) It will automatically dispense pills at the correct time. (I can live with it not being automatic, but something where I hit the AM button for morning, Mid button for middle of the day, and PM button for evening.
2) I want it so that it has multiple "bays" that are programmable (at least 10). What these bays do is this.... You program each bay for a specific medicine and dosage... EX.

Bay 1:
Medicine 1. Take 1 pill once in morning, once at night

Bay 2:
Medicine 2. Take 2 pills in AM. 1 pill mid. 2 pills PM

etc...

What you do is dump all of medicine 1 in bay 1, all of medicine 2 in bay 2, etc.. program the bays and then the machine automatically sorts the pills and dispenses them. This would then mean you don't have to take time to sort the pills, you just keep refilling the bays as needed...

Does this exist? If so, will it break the bank? If not, maybe we should start a kickstarter! smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »

http://www.epill.com/dispenser.html

Around 800 USD.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 15, 2012, 05:50:05 PM

Found this same site as well.  Some of the options are a little less expensive (saw one for $300), but there are other less expensive options such as the MedReady Automatic Pill Dispenser for about $160. 

I found these just by doing a quick Google search for "automated pill dispenser" and a number of different options popped up in a variety of price ranges.  You'll probably have to determine your price range and then weigh the options each dispenser provides before making a decision, but odds are you won't find an entry price much below $150.  Otherwise you're probably looking at something more like this

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »

Looking at both links, they seem to just be dispensers... meaning we still have to sort the meds into the individual trays ourselves.. We already have something for that... I'm more looking for something that I can dump a whole prescription in and it auto sorts.. Unless I missed something from those links...
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »

My light googling didn't find what you were looking for.

If I understand right you want something that you can take a bottle of pills and dump it into 1 bay, and then another bottle into a different bay. Then you program it, in the morning 1 from bay 1 and 2 from bay 2 and so on.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on April 15, 2012, 06:57:11 PM

If I understand right you want something that you can take a bottle of pills and dump it into 1 bay, and then another bottle into a different bay. Then you program it, in the morning 1 from bay 1 and 2 from bay 2 and so on.
Yep.. thats it.. I've been using Google Fu for a while now, and usually my Google Fu is strong, but can't seem to find this except for industrial/hospital use... Maybe it doesn't exist, but it sure could be useful for people who take a lot of different meds... as long as it's not too pricey...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on April 15, 2012, 07:01:05 PM

Yep.. thats it.. I've been using Google Fu for a while now, and usually my Google Fu is strong, but can't seem to find this except for industrial/hospital use... Maybe it doesn't exist, but it sure could be useful for people who take a lot of different meds... as long as it's not too pricey...

After volunteering in a hospital pharmacy for over 200 hours, I've never seen any such thing utilized in a hospital setting.  Med-sorting was handled by pharmacy techs, volunteers, and then ok'd by the pharmacists themselves.  We'd set up trays with print-outs of all meds required by a patient, those meds would be assembled by techs/volunteers, and then those trays would be packaged into baggies and distributed throughout the hospital.  Area nurses were then responsible for distributing the meds to their patients when needed.  Med-sorting took place twice a day, and all additional medications were filled on an as-needed basis. 

In that environment the checks-and-balances system was extremely important, so no med distribution was handled electronically or automatically. 

I'm not saying that such a device does not exist, but in a hospital or retail pharmacy setting there's too much liability to allow for an automated system to sort medications.  There may be a dependable system that exists, but I highly doubt that it will be at an affordable cost point (especially for personal use).  Odds are you'll be stuck with some level of manual sorting prior to a system timing appropriate distribution.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

I imagine the tricky thing is that it would have to dispense by weight, since even medications of the same drug type can come in different shapes and sizes.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 15, 2012, 07:15:27 PM

Quote from: Punisher on April 15, 2012, 07:01:05 PM

After volunteering in a hospital pharmacy for over 200 hours, I've never seen any such thing utilized in a hospital setting.  Med-sorting was handled by pharmacy techs, volunteers, and then ok'd by the pharmacists themselves.  We'd set up trays with print-outs of all meds required by a patient, those meds would be assembled by techs/volunteers, and then those trays would be packaged into baggies and distributed throughout the hospital.  Area nurses were then responsible for distributing the meds to their patients when needed.  Med-sorting took place twice a day, and all additional medications were filled on an as-needed basis. 

In that environment the checks-and-balances system was extremely important, so no med distribution was handled electronically or automatically. 

I'm not saying that such a device does not exist, but in a hospital or retail pharmacy setting there's too much liability to allow for an automated system to sort medications.  There may be a dependable system that exists, but I highly doubt that it will be at an affordable cost point (especially for personal use).  Odds are you'll be stuck with some level of manual sorting prior to a system timing appropriate distribution.

These are the ones I found...
http://www.rxcount.com/how-it-works.htm
http://www.inrangesystems.com/#1
http://www.ivanhoe.com/science/story/2010/02/674a.html

Don't know if they are widely used or not, but they don't seem to be for home use..
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on April 15, 2012, 07:50:48 PM

These are the ones I found...
http://www.rxcount.com/how-it-works.htm
http://www.inrangesystems.com/#1
http://www.ivanhoe.com/science/story/2010/02/674a.html

Don't know if they are widely used or not, but they don't seem to be for home use..

Unfortunately a lot of them won't be, and if so they'll still likely be cost-prohibitive. 

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »

This seems like a reasonable product that would be killed by liability.  After all, one error could result in illness, injury or death.  Who would want to insure that?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »

When I worked for AmerisourceBergen they had an AutoMed line that would dispense the correct amount of meds from 'hoppers' etc etc. But this type of device is used primarily in larger hospital pharmacies.
There is no consumer based model that I can think of.

Here is a link to their MMS products: http://www.amerisourcebergen.ca/en/medication-management-solution
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:59:53 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »

What about something more ....

Spoiler for manual?:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

you should get a pill dispenser that looks like a PEZ dispenser.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

Quote from: Roman on April 16, 2012, 02:54:23 PM

When I worked for AmerisourceBergen they had an AutoMed line that would dispense the correct amount of meds from 'hoppers' etc etc. But this type of device is used primarily in larger hospital pharmacies.
There is no consumer based model that I can think of.

Here is a link to their MMS products: http://www.amerisourcebergen.ca/en/medication-management-solution

In retail, auto-fill machines like those by Yuyama are fairly common.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

Pssst:

she might be a head nurse.

unibrow

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: