http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:49:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a list of "internet-only" banks  (Read 1468 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:34:28 AM »

Don't know why this is so difficult to find, been yahoo'ing to death different searches but nothing concrete is coming up. There are a lot of articles on "Net-only virtual banks" some of them say there are 50+ virtual banks out there yet they only mention one or two of them in the article.
The most commonly mentioned virtual bank is www.netbank.com - I'm looking for banks similiar to this.

Anyone want to give a hand in locating such a list, if it even exists?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Financial_Services/Banking/Banks/Internet_Banks/

This any help?

I'm just wombling free...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:25:10 PM »

www.ingdirect.com 3.75% interest rate.

Let me know if you're itnerested cause I can make it so you gets a free 25.00 and I gets a free 10.00.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:36:44 AM »

It isnt 'net only, but Bank of America has good web features.  They are also the only major bank left in the country which is actually American owned.

I also scored a cool $100 for signing up, and they have a $25 referal bonus (which goes to both the signer and the referer)!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:32:01 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Let me know if you're itnerested cause I can make it so you gets a free 25.00 and I gets a free 10.00.

i have an ING Direct savings account as well...great service, and the 3.75% interest rate is tough to beat for a service that is completely free.  i just wish i had switched away from my lousy BankOne savings account with a pathetic 0.45% rate sooner...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 06:26:57 AM »

Thanks for the link Orinoco, was what I was looking for. I had (have) NetBank but they charged me $450.00 worth of service charges for buying two games on Amazon where the sellers kept trying to re-bill me when there weren't enough funds to cover it. Amazingly NetBank charged me $30.00 per declined transaction - which totaled up to $450.00. (Over half my check) I tried to stop my direct deposit before it went in but I wasn't able to, so it looks like I'm staying with netbank for a while.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 06:53:23 AM »

Strangely enough, Bank of America started out as Bank of Italy, or some similar foreign country name.  Tongue
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Thanks for the link Orinoco, was what I was looking for. I had (have) NetBank but they charged me $450.00 worth of service charges for buying two games on Amazon where the sellers kept trying to re-bill me when there weren't enough funds to cover it. Amazingly NetBank charged me $30.00 per declined transaction - which totaled up to $450.00. (Over half my check) I tried to stop my direct deposit before it went in but I wasn't able to, so it looks like I'm staying with netbank for a while.

Woah - I'd suggest calling them and explaining the situation. They can reverse the charges if you can talk them into it. Be polite but firm and ask to talk to the supervisor and hopefully you can get most of the charges taken off (they'll probably charge you one fee).

State that you will change banks if they don't help out here (but be prepared to follow through on the threat if required).

Good luck and I hope you get your money back...

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 11:45:25 PM »

I've tried that, but unfortunately they say they won't reverse any of the fees unless it's a "bank error". I've gone as far as saying my family will be without gifts this christmas due to them taking all that money from me, to which they seem to care less. Keep hearing unless it's a bank error the fees will stay - and then they send me to the link where I can review their fees (overdraft fees, etc.)

Learned the hard way on this one, but come on.. $450 in service fees? Has anyone else even come close to that amount with their bank?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:47:14 AM »

That sucks, I've got overdraft protection through wachovia, I had it when I used first virginia/bb&t and Wachovia would put a stop on my account if someone kept trying to get money from it over and over and over and trying to overdraft it. They'd just block them and call me. The day before my wedding I had to use my check card A lot and they ended calling me at home and putting a temporary lock on it because I spent some $2500 in 24hours, one phone call and everything was okay, and I felt good knowing that they'd replace the money if it was stolen.

On top of that their online services are great. I transfer money from account to account, pay off my credit card, pay 90% of my bills, and next year I am going to explore their IRA options.

On top of that there are plenty of actual locations in case I need to use a bank, have questions, need help.

Just out of curioustity why a net only bank?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 04:19:06 AM »

Unfortunately I wound myself up on Chexsystems and it's incredibly difficult to get a bank account.
Apparently NetBank does do Chexsystems checks but is willing to over look some negatives.
Even though they got me with $450 in service charges (I mean damn that's half a grand.. having a hard time getting over this) I can't give them up since it'd be extremely difficult to get another bank account and I can't see myself going back to the check cashing stores..

For a second I thought you were going to say you had $2500 in over drafts.. any other stories?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 02:29:30 AM »

I've had my account overdrawn by the Bank's automatic system. When I used First Virginia I paid 4.95 a month for as many checks as I needed, no extra fees from non bank ATMs and a couple of other perks that you used to have to pay for, and when I was in college that 4.95 overdrew my account by .12 cents. So it automatically dropped $100 bucks in my account as a small loan that I paid 1% on till it was paid back, which was done automatically over a few months. Also, when I closed my account they screwed that up and tried to tell me I owed them money.

I'll admit I did not like 1st Va/BB&T, they were too slow to change and get with current companies, and the in branch people weren't very nice either.

However Wachovia is great and every employee has been uber helpful. When First Union bought them it was a good merger, made Wachovia a lot better.

I would wager that if you opened a savings account with a traditional bank and put in $500 to $1000 dollars, I know that can be tough, they'll get you straight on your checking situation. You get free banking with Direct Deposit and it never hurts to go in and explain your situation. Alot of times they link up your savings account as overdraft protection, and will set holds on your checking account to prevent large amounts being spent.

Good luck with everything, please let me know how it works out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 05:12:41 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "ATB"

i have an ING Direct savings account as well...great service, and the 3.75% interest rate is tough to beat for a service that is completely free.  i just wish i had switched away from my lousy BankOne savings account with a pathetic 0.45% rate sooner...

I just signed up for one of those recently.  Man, I wish I knew about them sooner.
Orinoco Womble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »

Sorry to hear that they wouldn't help you  frown

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
For a second I thought you were going to say you had $2500 in over drafts.. any other stories?

I had a case where a mis-timed check caused my regular bills (5) to bounce and the credit union charged me $150. However, when I called them up they took away all except one of the charges. That's why I suggested calling them.

If you're looking for a new financial institution, then can I suggest a Credit Union?

I've found them to be much more helpful then banks, and they're generally cheaper too.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 08:55:57 PM »

Called them a few times already (on top of about 10 bank mails) and they keep telling me to read over the "fees" agreement and saying I clicked on it when I agreed to sign up for an account. Really starting to piss me off but I've pretty much given up getting those service charges reversed. What kind of customer service is it when all they can do is point you to where to look up the fees policy?
Unfortunately though, being on chexsystems, I don't have much of a choice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: