http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at buying some anime... but then...  (Read 2024 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:11 PM »

So I head over to Amazon and look at prices for the Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, and Witch Hunter Robin box sets.

There is a huge discrepancy in Amazon's price versus the "community's" prices.  We're talking $150 versus $25 here.  Plus the "community" sellers all list their item only including three DVDs, as opposed to the six or seven in the "real" box set.  They assure you, however, that all episodes are indeed included.  And they have next to perfect feedback.

What the hell is going on here?  Are there people selling pirated/bootlegged copies of the DVDs?  If so, why do they have such great feedback, and/or why hasn't Amazon shut them down?  Or are they selling the "real deal" and there was just a huge price cut?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:53 PM »

i love love witch hunter robin (got addicted late nights after watchin aqua teens when it was on basically every weeknight) - um im not sure if this is whats goin on... but i know that you can buy witch hunter dvds that only have 3 or 4 episodes at a time on them - they are legit, theyre not bootlegs - its just only a few episodes.  maybe the ones that run upwards of $150 are complete seasons.  maybe similar thing w/ some of those others you listed (god i feel like a loser for knowin this hehehe - but yes somewhere along the line i started sweatin that show) smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:03:53 PM »

For your viewing pleasure:

Trigun -- The Complete Boxed Set.  $149.99 from Amazon.  $23.90 new from community sellers.

Cowboy Bebop - The Perfect Sessions.  Limited Edition set.  Not for sale on Amazon.  $27.99 new from community sellers.

Witch Hunter Robin - The Complete Collection.  $119.98 from Amazon.  $26.83 new from community sellers.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:06:28 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
i love love witch hunter robin (got addicted late nights after watchin aqua teens when it was on basically every weeknight) - um im not sure if this is whats goin on... but i know that you can buy witch hunter dvds that only have 3 or 4 episodes at a time on them - they are legit, theyre not bootlegs - its just only a few episodes.  maybe the ones that run upwards of $150 are complete seasons.  maybe similar thing w/ some of those others you listed (god i feel like a loser for knowin this hehehe - but yes somewhere along the line i started sweatin that show) smile
I don't think that's the case.  The sellers claim their DVDs have all 26 episodes.  The Amazon-sold box sets claim they contain all 26 episodes.

And since the sellers have great feedback, I assume they're not lying...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:11:04 PM »

import vs non? dunno but i just checked it out thats kinda weird...???  

edit:  looked at it lil bit more - maybe imports = not region 1? so its a collector kinda thing but of no practical use?  or VCD (though thatd prob mean theyd have more discs right??? been a while since i messed w/ those) anyone wanna help out w/ this???
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »

The first and third ones (Trigun and Robin) are bootlegs from Hong Kong that the sellers are selling.  It is done a lot in Amazon and eBay honestly and these people get some pretty good feedback ratings mostly because people get what they want for less money not knowing whether it is legal or not.

The Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions is also a bootleg.  When I first did this post I was thinking of CB: Best Session that are re-done select episodes...sorry about that.

This is the Complete Series, although Amazon does not have this one either.

To be honest, even at $150 and $120 Trigun and Robin are good deals.  When they came out you had to pay $30 a piece for the DVDs (I know, I used to wait for new Trigun discs...afterall my avatar is from that series).

Bottom line is that the seller stuff is Hong Kong bootlegs, but they'll work just fine on your DVD player.  If you go to eBay and look up TV series (like Sopranos, X-Files, Friends, etc.) you'll find some for relatively cheap and they are usually from Hong Kong.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »

Here's a good deal from a reputable source I used to buy from all the time when I was majorly into anime (they also tell you how many they have in stock):

Witch Hunter Robin Collection - $89.41

Trigun Box Set - $146.70

I'm going to guess Trigun is more expensive because it is harder to come by versus Robin that came out years later than Trigun on DVD.

Also, if you buy each Session of Cowboy Bebop you would pay $105.36 (before shipping).  That may be the way to go, I think the Perfect Sessions, because of the box they are in, is very hard to come by.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

So why, exactly, is Amazon allowing this to continue?  Since it's an imported 'product,' is it protected by law from, uh, other laws?

And as much as I'd like to see these series, I'd rather have a PSP than two anime collections.   smile

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:57:47 PM »

I don't know...you could ask the same of eBay.  I think the anime companies would need to know about it in order for a big enough stink to be made for them to remove it in this case, but that's just a guess.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 10:59:15 PM »

That's why Netflix is your friend.  I guess it works for me because I never felt the need to rewatch a DVD after I've seen it (aside from a few here and there) so I was okay with Netflixing Trigun and just watching it and not owning it.  I think I'll do the same for Witch Hunter Robin thanks to Doopril's comment.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »

I picked up the whole Trigun series from here... it's even on sale now.  
:shock:

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp?dvdno=4732

Can't beat 18.00 for 26 episodes of tasty, tasty goodness. smile
s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 03:27:34 PM »

That's almost definitely a HK bootleg, without even looking.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 03:30:51 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
That's almost definitely a HK bootleg, without even looking.

Probably... but it's excellent quality and the price is just right. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »

Yes, but even HK bootlegs are not legal here.  I think they reason they appear on Amazon and haven't been pulled down is that no-one has complained about them.  Add on top of that, I wouldn't buy the HK dvds because you may miss out on the great voice acting work done for the english versions of all three of those shows.  150 for a Trigun box...that just beautiful...  I'd take it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

Obviously you guys are entitled to your opinion, but I will state I haven't found any differences between the DVD I bought and the normal retail version, as far voice acting goes or picture quality.

Honestly $150 for 26 episodes of anything is robbery IMHO,
s

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Obviously you guys are entitled to your opinion, but I will state I haven't found any differences between the DVD I bought and the normal retail version, as far voice acting goes or picture quality.

Honestly $150 for 26 episodes of anything is robbery IMHO

There has to be differences just in the video alone.  Putting 26 episodes on 3 discs (8/9/9 type of split I'm guessing) would result in highly compressed video and artifacting no matter what way you spin it.  HK releases like Sopranos/X-Files, etc. come on the same number of discs as the regular release, so you won't see much difference with them.  With anime ones that are on 3 discs there HAS to be video problems at least.

As for $150 for 26 episodes...well, anyone that picks up HBO DVD releases (13 episodes in the 1 hour series cases) will be paying $100 MSRP for them...$80 if you're lucky, so to get 2 seasons it is $160 base.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 04:19:34 PM »

I picked up the Trigun set off E-bay ages ago for around $35.  I found out from a friend (after the fact) that it was the bootleg edition.  He said it would probably look and sound horrible, and he would bring over the "real" versions so I could see the difference.  We watched three episodes from his DVD's and then the same three on mine, and I honestly couldn't tell any difference at all.  And this was on a 52" HDTV with a nice surround sound system.  Picture quality, sound quality...everything was exactly the same.

Not trying to advocate bootlegging here, but from my personal experience there isn't much difference.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 04:40:13 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
As for $150 for 26 episodes...well, anyone that picks up HBO DVD releases (13 episodes in the 1 hour series cases) will be paying $100 MSRP for them...$80 if you're lucky, so to get 2 seasons it is $160 base.

For the record I also consider that robbery... although they could charge a pound of flesh for Carnivale and I'd still buy it. biggrin

Like Gratch said... I'm not saying piracy is okay, and nine times out of ten I'll pick up an official release over a bootleg any day, but a difference of $120 was too much of a difference for me to overlook in this case.

I'll admit I don't have much an eye for video quality until it's pointed out to me, but I've also seen the bootleg back to back with the originals and I didn't notice any difference.

s

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »

First things first.  I'm not advocating bootlegging at all, especially for US-distributed titles.  However, I do know something on the topic, and there are numerous 'studios' that do the HK bootlegging.  Some are higher quality than others (ranging from a simple dupe of a Japanese or even American/British DVD release to converting -fansubs- to DVD-R).  There is a site out there which tells how to tell them apart, and gives reviews.  I won't link to it, but anyone with a clue can probably find it with a little work.  

Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're going to do it, and you shouldn't, you should at least educate yourself on what it is you're doing.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »

There is an Anime series called Teknoman in the US, or Tekkaman Blade overseas.  I have wanted to get this on DVD, but every time I looked, only some bootleg was available.  I don't even know if a "real" version is available on DVD.  If it was, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: