http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:34:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List Of People Who Need To Stop Writing Software  (Read 1936 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:55:54 PM »

Came across this today.

Printer Manufacturers
A Printer driver is a folder with one ď.iniĒ file, and a couple of ď.dllĒs and thatís it.
It is not a 50 MB download. It is not an IE Toolbar, and Side Pane. It is not half-baked photo software. It is not a splash screen when your computer starts. It is not a tray icon.

So true.  As is:

ISPs
I pay you to put a cable in my house, and let me send things up and down it; no more.
I donít want your useless Anti-Virus products. I donít want your ďDesktop HelpĒ applications. I donít want your tray icons. I donít want your proprietary browsers. I donít want an email address with you. I donít want your website as my home page (including a Google Search that only shows adverts).
Read the rest here:
http://camendesign.com/?200806291241
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »

Some people do want it, though, because some people aren't very bright.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:30:14 AM »

the article is invalid without Derek Smart being listed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:01:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 04, 2008, 02:30:14 AM

the article is invalid without Derek Smart being listed.

i swear there is something with developers the name derek that makes them break down. check out the latest happenings of too human. my god that was hilarious.

woops confused dyack with derek in my mind. still the latest too human is hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:10:35 AM by jersoc » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:34:36 AM »

I agree 120% with the list

Somewhere along the windows road in the past ten years, computer software has gotten so unwieldly because some developers see a system with 4 cores and 8 gigs of memory as permission to make even more complicated, unwieldly designs.

I'd also like to offer - software that auto-checks for updates every time it loads. I don't give a crap that there's an update for Adobe Acrobat or QuickTime. It's a PDF reader. Or a video viewer. I don't need the 20MB update, it still works just fine the way it is, thank you very much. If you're going to force an auto-update, just do it in the background. Don't force me to quit everything else because your patch or updated version requires a system reboot.

And why can't I turn these updates off for any of this software? ITunes is particularly terrible for this. The 'Don't notify me about this updated version of itunes' doesn't work at all. After clicking "NO" I'm guaranteed to see the message again a few days later.

And secondly - software that starts at startup by default, that has no business starting up. QuickTime. Any IM programs. Any program that starts when I start my computer automatically pisses me off. I want the minimum number of processes started at all times. 30 is a good ballpark number. 40 is pushing it. I've seen people with eighty seven processes running on their system.

One thing I've been told, as a software developer, is "if your software is too slow, rather than re-write just wait six months for faster computers to come out". I think this adage is used far too often to justify bad and sloppy code.

Oh, and I can't agree with that guy more about Norton antivirus. That thing is more detrimental to the user experience IMO than just getting a virus.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »

A graphics card driver drives the screen. It does not include a tray icon, that handily reminds
      you that you donít have an SLI configuration everytime you boot. Your configuration options shouldnít
      be so complex that I have to choose between a Basic and Advanced mode, both of which are as equally useless
      as each other.

AMEN brother!!!!!!  The first time nvidia included that bitch with their universal drivers, I actually contemplated getting a plane ticket, flying to whatever city they're based in, and punching someone in the face for that decision.  Of course ATI competes by having the most gigantic system hog (Catalyst Control Center) for a video card, so they're little better.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on July 04, 2008, 06:34:36 AM

I'd also like to offer - software that auto-checks for updates every time it loads. I don't give a crap that there's an update for Adobe Acrobat or QuickTime. It's a PDF reader. Or a video viewer. I don't need the 20MB update, it still works just fine the way it is, thank you very much. If you're going to force an auto-update, just do it in the background. Don't force me to quit everything else because your patch or updated version requires a system reboot.

And secondly - software that starts at startup by default, that has no business starting up. QuickTime. Any IM programs. Any program that starts when I start my computer automatically pisses me off. I want the minimum number of processes started at all times. 30 is a good ballpark number. 40 is pushing it. I've seen people with eighty seven processes running on their system.

Thankfully most software like that will turn off and stay that way if you remove its entry from msconfig. Of course, there's some like Quicktime that tries to put itself back in there once or twice more if you remove it.

But yes, I do agree with that list.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »

I agree with everything on that list, especially the printer driver thing.  I mean, even the basic HP printer drivers are 30MB with no additional software.  I mean, seriously!  There's no need for this!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 04, 2008, 12:10:35 AM

Some people do want it, though, because some people aren't very bright.

AOL users mostly. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

Adobe Acrobat Reader is one of the most widely used, unnecessarily bloated pieces of software on the market.  it's absolutely ridiculous that a program with the sole purpose of reading one file format requires such a large install, wants to update frequently (requiring reboots), and runs so slowly.  you would think the original developer of the program would put an effort into writing something more efficient.  it doesn't really matter to me anymore though...ditched Adobe's software in favor of Foxit Reader on all my PCs a long time ago.  it works great without all the pointless bloat...and it's much faster icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 08, 2008, 12:23:10 PM

Adobe Acrobat Reader is one of the most widely used, unnecessarily bloated pieces of software on the market.  it's absolutely ridiculous that a program with the sole purpose of reading one file format requires such a large install, wants to update frequently (requiring reboots), and runs so slowly.  you would think the original developer of the program would put an effort into writing something more efficient.  it doesn't really matter to me anymore though...ditched Adobe's software in favor of Foxit Reader on all my PCs a long time ago.  it works great without all the pointless bloat...and it's much faster icon_cool

I hear that.  It's ridiculous how fast it opens up PDFs compared to Adobe.  You would think that the makers of a file format would have the best software for it, but I guess not.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »

Open-source FTW.

Forget MS Office, get OpenOffice.

Forget Adobe Reader, get Foxit.

You don't need a 1.5 gb fucking program to burn a fucking CD. Get CDBurnerXP.

Didn't read the article, but Symantec's bloated, obese, disease-ridden ass better be on it. Lose Norton (all of it), and get AVG or Avast.

Forget expensive defraggers, get JKDefrag.

I've found an open-source or freeware replacement for almost everything that costs money, and in many cases the open-source version is a better product.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

Me!

LiveTAG: happydog
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 08, 2008, 04:14:52 PM

Open-source FTW.

Didn't read the article, but Symantec's bloated, obese, disease-ridden ass better be on it. Lose Norton (all of it), and get AVG or Avast.

I've found an open-source or freeware replacement for almost everything that costs money, and in many cases the open-source version is a better product.

+2

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:24 AM »

Open-source FTW.

Wow.  This thread has paid for itself.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »

Open-source FTW.

So say we all!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

Well, except for Office.  I'd gladly pay for MS Office over that bug-ridden pile called OpenOffice.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »

StarOffice is better than OpenOffice (IMO), and it comes free with the Google Pack.  It's basically the same thing with a little more polish.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 07, 2008, 07:17:24 PM

I agree with everything on that list, especially the printer driver thing.  I mean, even the basic HP printer drivers are 30MB with no additional software.  I mean, seriously!  There's no need for this!

It's fucking insane.  It's one of the reasons I love OS X so much.  I just plugged the printer in and it worked.  No dicking around with gigantic 'drivers' and extra BS piled on.  PDF reader is built in.  That's one thing to be said about OS X, it does the basic parts of computing so much better than Windows does.

gellar
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2008, 08:29:49 PM

It's fucking insane.  It's one of the reasons I love OS X so much.  I just plugged the printer in and it worked.  No dicking around with gigantic 'drivers' and extra BS piled on.  PDF reader is built in.  That's one thing to be said about OS X, it does the basic parts of computing so much better than Windows does.

gellar

Yes! Everytime I'm stuck on Windows and have to wait while Acrobat Reader spins up, I realize how much I love OS X and Preview!

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2008, 08:29:49 PM

gellar

Exactly. Plug in a video camera, and it works. It's why I bought a MacBook. I was so frustrated with the way Windows made you jump through hoops to do something that should be simple. Windows is like fighting a beast, only the beast is supposed to help you, but gets you killed in the process.
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »

Linux > all your pansy windows AND mac users
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »

Quote from: FireFox on July 14, 2008, 09:44:47 PM

Linux > all your pansy windows AND mac users

Yeah cause Linux is super fucking easy to use.

gellar
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »

heh, keep on forgetting that mac was ripped off from unix and windows was ripped off from mac
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Quote from: FireFox on July 14, 2008, 09:47:59 PM

heh, keep on forgetting that mac was ripped off from unix and windows was ripped off from mac

Wat?

UNIX is total command line, whereas Mac OS Classic didn't even HAVE a command line.  I thought Mac and Windows both ripped their ideas off from Xerox anyway.

Mac OS X is in fact a variant of BSD UNIX, but the GUI is still derivative of the old classic Mac OS.  Basically Apple melded the idea of UNIX object-oriented OS (to stop calls from running the fuck into each other) and the GUI it ripped off from Xerox years ago.

gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: