http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux question  (Read 1195 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:06:10 PM »

On my webserver (SuSE Linux, sitting in my living room), I'm trying to set up a statistics app.  The install went well, everything's fine.  However, my webserver will not allow me to view documents in the /wwwroot/cgi-bin/ directory, even though I CHMODed both the directory and files within to 777 (trying to solve the problem).  Is there an Apache setting, or something, that allows/disallows access to a subfolder named cgi-bin?  

Me confused.

Edit: I have perl switched on in my apache conf files.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 05:20:19 PM »

Its like you are speaking English....but the words aren't making sense.  I'll be taking a *nix class in a few semesters....then I'll come back and answer your question. slywink  Ok...so maybe somebody else might be able to help sooner...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 06:28:38 PM »

Oh, well.  I gave up, and I'm using another package.  Too much of a pain, and I felt like I was exposing my server to some potential security problems.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
On my webserver (SuSE Linux, sitting in my living room), I'm trying to set up a statistics app.

What app, specifically? What kind of data collection does it do? Is it active (aka follows visitors) or passive; like Webtrends that does data analysis on log files?

If it's log files, just export them to your analysis server : this means less risk of security (use a scripted FTP transfer daily/weekly, etc) and you're also saving system overhead on your site during analysis.  Cool

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 03:08:45 AM »

Well, I was trying to get AWStats running.  Eventually, I did.  The sad thing is that I have no idea what I changed to make it work.

Anyhow, I know so little about Linux that I was afraid I was opening the entire world up to some stuff that shouldn't be accessable.  I uninstalled it, and will try again when I figure out how to password protect the AWStats directory.  It seems like pretty powerful software.  Maybe I'll just install perl on my laptop, along with the windows version, and grab my log files and run it there.

For the time being, I'm using BBClone, which is PHP based and requires small code snippets in the pages.  Useful, but the DNS resolution is done when the page is hit, which slows things down too much, so I had to turn it off.  The good news is that with BBClone on, and DNS resolution off, the pages actually seem to load more quickly. Wierd.

me = linux newbie

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: