http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:38:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: let's talk tablets  (Read 2884 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »

While I remain deeply unsatisfied by my Acer Iconia A500, I would recommend the Dolhpin for tablet beta as a browser for Android tablets. It sometimes crashes (though it's not unique in that department), but I think it's the fastest of a bad bunch (stock, Chrome, etc.).

I've put ICS on my Iconia, and I still think it's a vastly inferior experience to that of an iPad 2.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 01, 2012, 07:04:40 PM

Another rumor du jour:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/01/rumor_apple_to_unveil_8gb_ipad_2_alongside_ipad_3_on_march_7.html
*This latest one from Taiwan suggests Apple will drop the 64GB option and offer 16GB and 32GB iPad 3 models, alongside a closer to bargain-priced 8GB iPad 2 model with the idea of combating lower priced tablets at least to some extent on price (Kindle Fire, Nook Color Tablet etc.).

Seems in line with the iPhone in the past from the standpoint of continuing to offer at least one older model at a substantially lower price than the new line.

But, it also conflicts with other rumors with purported iPad 3 price lists showing the traditional three models (16, 32, 64GB).

Dear lord I hope not.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 8GB model, but as far as cutting the 64GB model, ugh.  I'm already constantly out of memory with my 64GB model.  I want a 128GB model and I don't mind paying a few hundred dollars more for it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:41:44 AM by ydejin » Logged
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »

Quote from: JCC on March 03, 2012, 09:57:59 PM

I've put ICS on my Iconia, and I still think it's a vastly inferior experience to that of an iPad 2.

I'll give Dolphin a try. I hate to say it because this is such a terrific tablet, but you really nailed it. ICS/Android is truly a hinderance to what should be the best tablet on the market. A friend of mine has long referred to Android as the Windows XP of phones and I think it holds very true for the tablet experience as well. I wish there was a happy middle ground. The snappiness and ease of use of IOS with the customization of ICS.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

Gotta say, even with the minor issues I really like the Transformer Prime. It's such a slick piece of hardware. Solid, thin, gorgeous screen. I can't wait to see what the iPad 3 looks like but it's going to have to knock my socks off to justify a new purchase (says the guy that buys every new gadget ...)

If the iPad 3 follows other Apple launches, it will be a few months before they are readily available so the Prime should keep me happy.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:10 AM »

Based on recent trends (the last year), I think it's likely that Apple will release the iPad 3 a week or two after the announcement, not months.

And unless you're talking about the screen, don't hold your breath on being blown away - aesthetically it (likely) will look almost exactly the same as the iPad 2.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on March 05, 2012, 12:27:10 AM

Based on recent trends (the last year), I think it's likely that Apple will release the iPad 3 a week or two after the announcement, not months.

And unless you're talking about the screen, don't hold your breath on being blown away - aesthetically it (likely) will look almost exactly the same as the iPad 2.

Well.  I have an iPad 1, which I love.  But it's got issues. 

The web browser, for example, crashes constantly on some websites -- AIUI it has something to do with Safari's poor handling of memory used for JavaScript.   While the web browser can hold a full nine tabs, switching between tabs almost always forces a reload, which I assume is also a main memory limitation, although I haven't tried an iPad 2 so it's possible Apple's software just sucks.  Similarly hitting back forces a reload and has a really bizarre behavior on some websites where the page slowly reloads, but it does so from some cache displaying data from a day-or-two prior.  So for example if I'm on MSNBC, I'm on the homepage, I visit an article, I hit the back button, I don't see today's homepage, instead it seems to drag a version of the homepage from the previous day.  It's really strange, since it doesn't load quickly like it's coming from a memory cache, yet it clearly is because of the content.  This happens in probably 30-40% of all news websites.

There are also some games which don't work all that well.  Again I'm assuming they've been thoroughly tested for iPad 2's greater memory and processing speed and only sort of work in iPad 1.

I'm hoping an iPad 3 will do much better with more main memory and a much faster and multi-core processor.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »

I'm sure they will release it but the trend over the last few years has been that they can't make them fast enough or of sufficient quantity. It will be months before you can walk into a store and actually buy one. Last year people were arriving at Apple stores at 2 AM in the hopes the store would get a few in.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »

Dunno, with the iPad 1, I pre-ordered it so it was a stop-by-and-buy-it-at-1-PM-in-the-afternoon-along-with-a-lot-of-dashes thing.

For the iPhone 4S, I just showed up at a store at about 10 AM, got in the line and waited for maybe 20 minutes. Sipping free Starbucks coffee.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 05, 2012, 06:40:44 PM

I'm sure they will release it but the trend over the last few years has been that they can't make them fast enough or of sufficient quantity. It will be months before you can walk into a store and actually buy one. Last year people were arriving at Apple stores at 2 AM in the hopes the store would get a few in.

All that's true - the one thing that's different this year is that rumor has it shipments have already been coming from China the past 2 weeks, which might mean they will be available immediately after the announcement, or maybe on Friday.  Not sure how they'll try to handle preorders.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 06, 2012, 12:46:55 AM

Quote from: Crusis on March 05, 2012, 06:40:44 PM

All that's true - the one thing that's different this year is that rumor has it shipments have already been coming from China the past 2 weeks, which might mean they will be available immediately after the announcement, or maybe on Friday.  Not sure how they'll try to handle preorders.

That would be great! I did read somewhere (gah! Can't remember where) that there was already a shortage of screens. I hope the iPad 3 rocks and we can actually buy the damn things on release day.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »

I'm loving my wife's iPad2. If it wasnt for the fact that I have a droid phone and have a lot of apps I wanna put on a tablet, I could be in the market for a ipad3. However, trying to hold out for the new Transformer Prime but I'll more than likely cave shortly and buy the current version.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »

Would anyone slap me if I started an iPad 3/HD thread, given today's upcoming event? So we can keep this thread more generally tablet-y in nature.

Another more weird rumor about possibly haptic-touch:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/07/apples_third_gen_ipad_rumored_to_feature_never_before_seen_touch_technology.html
*Yes, of course, the mind quickly runs into the gutter about "creative" ways to use that.   drool icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 02:04:59 PM

Would anyone slap me if I started an iPad 3/HD thread, given today's upcoming event? So we can keep this thread more generally tablet-y in nature.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/07/apples_third_gen_ipad_rumored_to_feature_never_before_seen_touch_technology.html
*Yes, of course, the mind quickly runs into the gutter about "creative" ways to use that.   drool icon_lol

Hmm, well the original announcement was "We have something you really have to see.  And touch."  However, unless they can do it pretty cheap, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.  They need to keep their prices low to box out the Android tablets.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »

If you don't start one, I will!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »

I really, really doubt this.

But it's plausible, due to Apple's massive scalar muscles.

But nonetheless, I really doubt this. It'll be faster + retina display, that's it.

But I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »

I'm seeing MOTS from iOS and the iPhone/iPad, and I honestly, truly, look forward to seeing Windows8 on tablets.

Metro is just so simple - there are a few things I'd like to change (and the overlay on PC needs some tuning to be a better desktop experience), but I do not miss iOS one iota when it comes to handheld.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »

I'm suddenly feeling like I need to return the Transformer Prime.  icon_lol

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 07, 2012, 06:34:59 PM

I'm seeing MOTS from iOS and the iPhone/iPad, and I honestly, truly, look forward to seeing Windows8 on tablets.

What do you think iOS needs then? What does Win8 do better?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 07, 2012, 08:15:21 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 07, 2012, 06:34:59 PM

What do you think iOS needs then? What does Win8 do better?

The interface from iOS isn't really any different than what we've seen since back to Win 3.11 / comparable Apple interface of that time. You have icons that open individual applications that exist primarily in their own space. iOS eventually gave you some that notify you if there are messages (appended 0-99 in red circle), but that's pretty much it.

The Live Tiles, along with size, layout and customization at the top layer vastly improve the usefulness of the app. I almost never go into Weatherbug on my WP7(mango) - I simply see what it is, and some basic details. It will also scroll or flip information in a data feed.

From a lock screen up until iOS5, the only real notifications were hidden behind a sign-in, as opposed to Metro, where you've had basic info right there in front of you.

Then there is the full screen apps with no chroming (eg: <Back buttons, menu headers, silver bezel edges, etc). I don't just want prettier, I want more functionality. The mail app, the contacts, the messaging sections of Windows outstrips all but the most courageous iOS ventures (those being jailbroken ones).

I don't expect everything to shift over, and Apple puts out a fantastic product - but the experience of it is only novel to the uninitiated. I've been an iPhone owner since iPhone3, and after going to a single-core snapdragon phone, the OS is faster and more responsive. It makes sense, for the most part (Apple holds patents that prevent MS and Google from using phone numbers linking to dialers, for instance).

Seeing the Windows 8 candidate running on my PC, I would love to have my mouse swapped for a touchpad. As it stands, I have the Microsoft Touch mouse, and while they haven't leveraged all of the possible features of the mouse (mind you I haven't explored the settings in W8 yet), I can tell you that it makes the interface much easier to deal with (left-right swiping scrolls horizonally, rather than using the mouse-wheel, for instance).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:37:33 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: