http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: let's talk tablets  (Read 2772 times)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »

The wife expressed interest in a Kindle Fire, but that seems more of a glorified E-reader. I've been looking at the Asus Transformer Prime and the IPad 2. She would primarily use it for movies, books and games, but she is starting a new position with greater responsibility and I'd like her to be able to use it for productivity as well (keeping track of inventory, events, etc...)

Thoughts?
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »

Aren't we only a month away from the Ipad 3?  It seems like it would be prudent to wait until then to make a purchase.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »

I think the Kindle Fire is actually a pretty good fit if you're mainly looking for movies, books and games.  Those are sort of it's strongest points (the weakest being browsing online or magazines on the smaller screen, IMO).  And it's relatively cheap compared to other tablets as well. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 04, 2012, 11:07:37 PM

I think the Kindle Fire is actually a pretty good fit if you're mainly looking for movies, books and games.  Those are sort of it's strongest points (the weakest being browsing online or magazines on the smaller screen, IMO).  And it's relatively cheap compared to other tablets as well.  

It's a bit of a stretch to call gaming one of it's strong points.

But watching movies and reading books, yeah. It'll do the job decently enough.

But, shit, it's only $200. Just buy it, and if she finds she likes the tablet form factor and wants some more oomph, she can buy the iPad later down the road.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »

The Transformer Prime is a pretty incredible device and I've been on the verge of buying one, but I'm holding off just to see what Apple's giving us with the iPad 3.  I'm much more interested in an Android tablet over iOS, but it just seems more prudent to see the new iPad before spending my $500.  That said, it will take an awful lot to steer me away from the TF Prime.  I've had some hands-on time with one at Best Buy and it's very impressive...surprisingly thin and lightweight, blazing fast, incredible screen, iPad-comparable battery life, and I really like the look and feel of Android 4.0 (ICS).  Add the keyboard peripheral and it's a really cool device.

Unfortunately, there are a couple other things to consider before picking up a Transformer Prime right now...

Some people have complained about the wifi and GPS performance.  Apparently the all-aluminum back of the Prime weakens reception to some extent, resulting in slightly less wifi range than the original Transformer, and some significant problems with getting a timely and accurate GPS lock.  The GPS issues are significant enough that Asus has stopped advertising the Prime as a GPS-enabled device even though it is present and functional.  It is worth noting, however, that GPS in a non-3G tablet is a bit rare anyway.  The iPad 2 only includes assisted-GPS functionality on the 3G version...no GPS in the wifi only model.  I don't think GPS would be an often-used feature for me, but since it is there I would rather have a device where it worked flawlessly.

The other hold-up for me buying the Prime is Asus' announcement at CES of an upgraded model (the Prime 700T) coming up in the second quarter of this year.  It's going to cost an additional $100 for largely the same hardware (same Tegra3 processor), but the upgrade to a 1920x1200 display will make it the highest resolution tablet on the market pending an iPad 3 announcement, and they're getting rid of the all-aluminum back to improve wifi/GPS reception.  It might be an upgrade worth waiting for if you can afford the extra cost...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

There's a thread on slickdeals that says the Kindle Fire is $200 at Walmart with a $50 gift card this week.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »

Is the Walmart deal in-store only?  Will Sam's Club also have this deal?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

The Prime is probably a bit overkill for your wife...

I recommend either the Acer Iconia A500 (which I have and love), or the original Transformer. Both will be receiving ICS and both have Tegra 2 processors. I picked up A500s for my wife and I for $280. That's a lot of tablet for the money.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »

Quote from: KC on February 05, 2012, 01:39:36 PM

Is the Walmart deal in-store only?  Will Sam's Club also have this deal?

Looks like the sale starts today and is in store only.  I don't know about Sam's Club.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »

good looking out guys. I was thinking that the Prime was overkill, but I tend to overbuy when it comes to stuff like this.

I figure i'll try em out in the store and see what's what. Thanks for the tip on the original Transformer, I may go that route.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

I haven't tried the original Transformer, but I did try the Iconia A500 and the new Transformer Prime.  The user experience on the Prime is really significantly better, everything just runs smoother, faster and better.  Particularly web browsing and video, which were pretty much seamless and a great experience.  If you're gonna make the plunge and can afford it, I'd highly recommend the Prime.  From an overall ease and enjoyment of use, it's the only tablet I've tried that rivals the iPad 2.  The thing that actually makes it better for productivity is the SD slot.  I love being able to put all my work files on one chip and all sorts of "other" files on another lol.

The actual Transformer portion is a mixed bag.  Once you attach the keyboard you very nicely get more battery power and a full USB port.  The keyboard and pad are still kind of tiny, though, so it's like using the tiniest of netbooks.  Another oddity is that it doesn't balance well on your lap, the weight of the tablet tends to make it bobble forward.  Just some minor nits - essentially you can turn it into a mediocre netbook running Android if you so desire.  Personally I think it's better as a stand-alone tablet.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »

I'm in for the Transformer Prime whenever i can find one locally.....everyone is sold out.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »

I am in for a Transformer prime for my son.   I give 2 shits about the GPS issue, but I sure hope the wifi signal is not weak.

Best place to buy it?

Ipad is for old people, heh..
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »

I guess at this point the best place to buy is wherever it's available.  Nowhere around Denver has them.   I don't care about the gps either.   I know i've read about the wifi issues, but honestly i think it's a small sample of consumers.   Whenever i can find one i'll be buying.   I like that i can take all my android apps from my phone and sync them to the tablet.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

Have you tried using http://NowInStock.net ?

I see none at best buys near me..  I may need to do some tracking too..
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »

best bet looks like Newegg.  they have the 32 and 64gb flavors in stock this morning.

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »

I ended up getting a refurbished Transformer from CompUsa for 299 and added in the accident and spillage warranty for less than the cost of a new one. I'll report back on how she digs it.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

Sure she'll love it Mike. Checkout tablified for tablet optimized apps.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tablified.tablifiedmarket&hl=en

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 09, 2012, 02:03:32 PM

I ended up getting a refurbished Transformer from CompUsa for 299 and added in the accident and spillage warranty for less than the cost of a new one. I'll report back on how she digs it.

Please do.  I am slowly working on the wife to get me a tablet for my birthday and that looks like a sweet deal.

also, can we get  this moved to the new sub forum?

morlac00 on PSN
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »

Ok Amazon has these in stock this morning.   Gonna pull the trigger but need some advice on the 32 or 64gb flavors.   Doesn't the docking station add more storage or have a usb where you can add an external drive or sd card or something if i needed more storage?   Was wondering if i should just get the 32gb if it would be cheaper in the long run.   I use cloud base programs for all my music and really don't see why i would need much more than 32gb from the start.

Any opinions?

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 11, 2012, 06:24:48 PM

Ok Amazon has these in stock this morning.   Gonna pull the trigger but need some advice on the 32 or 64gb flavors.   Doesn't the docking station add more storage or have a usb where you can add an external drive or sd card or something if i needed more storage?   Was wondering if i should just get the 32gb if it would be cheaper in the long run.   I use cloud base programs for all my music and really don't see why i would need much more than 32gb from the start.

Any opinions?
Most people really won't need any more than 32GB unless you plan on storing a significant amount music or video on the device itself.  As long as you're streaming your media, there's little chance that you'll ever need the 64GB version.  If you do need additional storage space in the future, the tablet itself has a micro-SD slot that can be used for storage of either media or apps.  As for the docking station, it doesn't have any additional memory built-in, but it does have a full-size SD card slot...and has its own battery that will charge the tablet and nearly double its battery life.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »

My wife and I managed to score a pretty good deal on an original transformer. It was the store demo but it's 32GB and comes with the keyboard dock for only about $410.
I have a question. I've heard lots about single accounts on multiple devices but what about multiple accounts on one device? It seems like once you add your google account it syncs up all of your data. It's really my wife's tablet but I would like to purchase stuff on my own google account and eventually I'll get a Prime. However I don't want it to associate the email with my account and same with the contacts etc. I really just want to make an account for the android market. Is there any way you can do that?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:52:42 AM »

Quote from: disarm on February 11, 2012, 06:41:43 PM

Quote from: Xmann on February 11, 2012, 06:24:48 PM

Any opinions?
Most people really won't need any more than 32GB unless you plan on storing a significant amount music or video on the device itself.  As long as you're streaming your media, there's little chance that you'll ever need the 64GB version.  If you do need additional storage space in the future, the tablet itself has a micro-SD slot that can be used for storage of either media or apps.  As for the docking station, it doesn't have any additional memory built-in, but it does have a full-size SD card slot...and has its own battery that will charge the tablet and nearly double its battery life.

As an owner of a 64GB iPad and a 32GB iPad2, I can say I only really miss the 64GB capacity when I want to load a decent amount of video for viewing on a long trip.  It can get pretty frustrating then.  If you don't see yourself doing that, then I'd say 32GB should be plenty.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:43:46 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 13, 2012, 12:52:42 AM

As an owner of a 64GB iPad and a 32GB iPad2, I can say I only really miss the 64GB capacity when I want to load a decent amount of video for viewing on a long trip.  It can get pretty frustrating then.  If you don't see yourself doing that, then I'd say 32GB should be plenty.

If only Apple would put memory card slots on their devices...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »

Quote from: disarm on February 13, 2012, 01:43:46 AM

I really have zero desire for that.  I don't want to deal with managing media or fragmented storage. 

Reality is I really need 64GB, but work purchased the iPad2 and the corp standard is a 32GB with 3G.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »

If you're getting the dock, I'd go for the 32 gig. I have a 16 gig and added a $19.99 16 gig micro sd card and feel I have plenty of space.

By the way, I rooted my tablet this weekend and am now running Ice Cream Sandwich! It is even more awesome on the tablet than on my phone.
Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

And Canuck, you can create a new Gmail account and use it. Also, you can pick and choose what you would like to sync.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »

Well my laptop is dying a slow death so I bought a ipad2  primarily for my wife and son yesterday. Still holding out for a Prime for myself.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 13, 2012, 01:51:27 AM

I really have zero desire for that.  I don't want to deal with managing media or fragmented storage. 

I used to think that as well, until I got the Prime and had the storage capability... it's not the volume but being able to sort content onto different chips is nice, and it also allows you to essentially leave the main unit free of "content" if you so desire (and just fill it with apps).  Of course the chips are so freaking tiny it's a bit annoying but still it's a nice option to have.  Now I can have "personal" content (movies, music, pictures, games, etc) on a tiny chip (or multiples) and leave those at home when I bring the unit in to work.  At work another chip can hold pretty much every pdf/document file I need and it instantly becomes a work machine separated from the personal stuff.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 13, 2012, 09:18:36 PM

I used to think that as well, until I got the Prime and had the storage capability... it's not the volume but being able to sort content onto different chips is nice, and it also allows you to essentially leave the main unit free of "content" if you so desire (and just fill it with apps).  Of course the chips are so freaking tiny it's a bit annoying but still it's a nice option to have.  Now I can have "personal" content (movies, music, pictures, games, etc) on a tiny chip (or multiples) and leave those at home when I bring the unit in to work.  At work another chip can hold pretty much every pdf/document file I need and it instantly becomes a work machine separated from the personal stuff.

What you just described sounds like a fucking nightmare to me.  I want everything in one spot.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 13, 2012, 10:01:42 PM

Quote from: rittchard on February 13, 2012, 09:18:36 PM

What you just described sounds like a fucking nightmare to me.  I want everything in one spot.

You're not the only one gellar and that's why the iPad mops up at retail.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »

I don't understand this comment.  You can store the stuff on the Android tablet if you like, but with Apple you don't have the option of using additional media. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 13, 2012, 10:14:31 PM

I don't understand this comment.  You can store the stuff on the Android tablet if you like, but with Apple you don't have the option of using additional media. 

Reasons I don't want removable media:
A) It's not completely additive.  32GB internal + 32GB external doesn't look like one big 64GB drive, it looks like two separate 32GB drives.  Yes, it works, but it doesn't work as well as one 64GB drive.  This is far from ideal and way more work than I am willing to do.
B) Not all removable media is equal.  Some is shitty with poor reliability.  Some is shitty with slow speeds.  I do not want to concern myself with either of these factors.
C) If I had spent the time researching external storage to buy a good one and an OS that somehow made it look like both drives were there as one, I'd basically just buy the biggest one I found necessary and leave it in the tablet, thus negating any possible benefit of external storage whatsoever. 

Any benefit of external storage is 100% lost on me, the lazy consumer who can't be bothered.

Apple has sorted this out.  That's why I pay more for their shit, cause it works better and I don't want to be bothered with cobbling stuff together or working around things.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

I should also add that I'm pretty sure the iPad lets you hook whatever external storage you want up to it either via the camera -> USB accessory or via a wifi network for removable storage, but I have no idea because again, that is far more work than I am willing to do.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

I understand why you don't want to fool with additional media.  I just don't understand why the iPad's lack of additional media is a plus, as leo8877 indicated.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 13, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

I understand why you don't want to fool with additional media.  I just don't understand why the iPad's lack of additional media is a plus, as leo8877 indicated.

I was saying that gellar's assessment of not wanting to mess with extra stuff is a positive note that seems to resonate with a lot of people as shown by the iPad selling so well at retail.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 13, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

Oh fair enough, it's not a plus.  It's a non factor.  Unless they didn't make Android tablets in 64GB capacities natively, then that's actually a negative in that camp for me.  I have no idea though since I much prefer the Apple tablet experience to the Android one.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »

OK fine, you really just want me to come out and say it don't you lol?  PORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   icon_biggrin

I have a copious amount of still and video content in all sorts of varied formats (mp4, wmv, mov, avi, etc etc).  I need a quick/easy/efficient way of transferring these files to my device, but I DO NOT want all of this residing on the device in case someone else happens to pick it up, or I'm showing something to someone and inadvertently it pops up.  I've tried all manner of different methods to make this work effectively on the iPad.  I use "My Folder" which lets me hide files through a password protection system, but it involves an inane system of copying stuff over and then deleting it from the original location.  It's also not easy to transfer any random video file over and keep it organized the way I'm used to.  I ended up trying out the local wireless Seagate drive to stream content, but that was hit or miss at best.  

Now with the Prime, all I have to do is directly copy the stuff to a micro-SD card in any folder structure I choose, insert it and it plays without a hitch.  I can also leave the card in, attach a USB cable to the keyboard station, and copy stuff directly over to the SD card and again, organize it at will like a regular hard drive.  If I need to pass the device to someone else, I just pull the card out and I don't have to worry about them happening upon random gay sex files by accident.   Happy now?!?!?

Edit: and in terms of work productivity, being able to completely control the file structure and connect/transfer via USB is a godsend.  It's just so much easier than the way any of the file utilities I tried on iPad work.  Does this mean I don't love my iPad anymore?  Hell no!  But having this functionality is a lot more than a "non factor."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:52:26 PM by rittchard » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »

Yeah that's not a factor for me.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »

Anyway, not to derail the porn discussion..

But, I could not find the transformer prime.   No where.   Pre prdered on amazon.   Said it estimated I would get it sometime in March..   tear

I did not want to search and maybe never find it at a shop.  I also didnt want to pay $600 for it off those other vendors at amazon.

Anyways, I got this email today.

copy/paste:

Hello,

We have good news!  We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"ASUS Transformer Prime TF201-B1-GR Eee Pad 10.1-Inch 32GB Tablet (Amethyst Gray)"
   Previous estimated arrival date: March 14, 2012 - March 19, 2012
   New estimated arrival date: February 17, 2012

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

(WOO HOO!)
 YARRRR!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: