http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk Iphone  (Read 54449 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 19, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »

Ordered my iPhone 5 on Sunday, should be here in a few weeks.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 19, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »

Banned iPhone 5 Preview

One of the better ones I've seen.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 19, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 19, 2012, 11:54:57 AM

Ordered my iPhone 5 on Sunday, should be here in a few weeks.  smile

Am I crazy for thinking about trying to get one in store on Friday?? >_<
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 19, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »

Boy Genius Report unboxes
http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/18/iphone-5-unboxing-exclusive/
*It's not terribly different than a 4S unboxing, fwiw, visually. The connector and earbuds are different, and apparently the adapter provides a bit more juice when charging.

I've waited in line in the wee hours (never overnight) for concert tickets, and once went to a KMart and Wal-Mart in the wee hours trying to nab a PlayStation 2 (and failing). So yeah it's probably crazy to wait in line 9/21 in hopes of nabbing one at a store but sometimes it's fun to try to be first, and there's nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't cost you your job or something. icon_smile

Oh, and AppleInsider looks at the iOS 6 camera panoramic camera app:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/17/apples_new_ios_6_camera_app_makes_panorama_capture_easy
Like iOS 4's HDR (High Dynamic Range) mode, the new Panorama feature in iOS 6 isn't available on the iPad; it's also computationally demanding enough to require at least a dual core processor A5, meaning it only works on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and the newly released fifth generation iPod touch.

Also like HDR, Apple's super simple Panorama feature is a one-button mode (below) that changes how the Camera app captures an image. Rather than rapidly taking multiple images and processing them together as HDR does, turning on Panorama invokes a mode that guides you along a path, capturing and processing the images along it into a single, balanced, seamless panoramic image.
Supposedly this doesn't quite compete with the various standalone panoramic picture apps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:40:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 19, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »

just updated to iOS 6.   went smoothly.  yay?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 19, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 19, 2012, 08:20:52 PM

It took way longer than I expected.  I was worried my iPad had frozen.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 13, 2012, 04:46:10 PM

While a part of me is with the cynics feeling "underwhelmed" by iPhone 5, I have to stop and ask myself just what the heck is it I was hoping for or expecting.  I mean at this point, seriously, what is it that people are wanting in a new phone (or iPhone specifically)?  Make the size too much larger and people will complain it's too big, change the entire icon system and people will complain about fixing something that wasn't broken, etc etc.  At this point unless it shoots lasers or reaches out and gives you a handjob, I'm not quite sure what incredible feature you could add to a phone in this sort of general form factor.

We're talking about a mature product that people already love, so why change it away from the fundamentals of what made it popular to begin with?  From a pure engineering standpoint, I again challenge anyone to find another product that in less than a year doubles its graphics and processing speeds while increasing screen size (and resolution) while maintaining battery life and actually getting physically lighter/thinner.  Not to mention all the other "minor" improvements to the camera, sound, antenna, LTE, etc.

I suppose it really is just a matter of perspective, I think our expectations (including my own) at this point are perhaps too unrealistic.

There's a number of things Apple could have added.

- Expandable memory card. Of course including built-in memory is one of apple's cash cows, but it'd be nice to be able to add my own 32gb or 64gb card like I can with any of my Android phones.

- 3D support. While the HTC EVO 3D didn't blow anyone out of the water, it was a nice feature to play around with. It should be there as an option. If you like 3D, you have the option to use it.. and if you don't, nothing changes just keep it off, sort of like the 3DS.

- HDMI port. Becoming pretty standard on most recent high-end Android phones. Still waiting for iPhone to catch up. (Yes I know they are working on an "adapter" but it'd be nice to have standard HDMI out of the box instead of all these proprietary formats they keep making money off of instead of going with the industry standard.)

- 12MP (or higher) camera. With the break down cost of the iPhone 5 running less than $200, would it really hurt for a higher mega pixel camera? The Sony ion runs $99 and has it, plus all the other bells and whistles of a high-end smartphone.

- Ability to use voice and data at the same time like all the Android CDMA LTE phones have supported for some time now.

- A call "block" feature whether in the phone itself or allow a third party to be able to build one without having to jailbreak it. Call block apps have been standard for years now on windows mobile and android.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 19, 2012, 09:30:52 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 19, 2012, 08:20:52 PM

It took way longer than I expected.  I was worried my iPad had frozen.

I was surprised at how quickly mine went, I was worried I was going to get an 'update failed'.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 20, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

This could be something truly innovative, though I worry about people cutting other peoples' faces off to get around it.  paranoid It's probably not that simple...

Apple looks to automate locking, unlocking iDevices with facial recognition
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/20/apple_looks_to_automate_locking_unlocking_idevices_with_facial_recognition

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 20, 2012, 07:39:28 AM

- Expandable memory card. Of course including built-in memory is one of apple's cash cows, but it'd be nice to be able to add my own 32gb or 64gb card like I can with any of my Android phones.
I'm not super familiar with Android offerings.  Can you link to an Android phone that has a size/shape equivalent to the iPhone 5 that also has room for a memory card slot?

- 3D support. While the HTC EVO 3D didn't blow anyone out of the water, it was a nice feature to play around with. It should be there as an option. If you like 3D, you have the option to use it.. and if you don't, nothing changes just keep it off, sort of like the 3DS.
Are people really clamoring for this? 

- HDMI port. Becoming pretty standard on most recent high-end Android phones. Still waiting for iPhone to catch up. (Yes I know they are working on an "adapter" but it'd be nice to have standard HDMI out of the box instead of all these proprietary formats they keep making money off of instead of going with the industry standard.)
See my comment on the memory card slot.  Not meant as snark, I'm genuinely curious what phones have room for this.  The few Android phones I've handled have seemed gigantic.

- 12MP (or higher) camera. With the break down cost of the iPhone 5 running less than $200, would it really hurt for a higher mega pixel camera? The Sony ion runs $99 and has it, plus all the other bells and whistles of a high-end smartphone.
I'm all for improving the camera, but adding more megapixels is not the way to do it.  Most people are taking their 8MP photos and then uploading 0.3 megapixel versions on Facebook or instagram or whatever.  Want to print out an 8x10" physical photo?  Well now you need like 3MP.  smile

- Ability to use voice and data at the same time like all the Android CDMA LTE phones have supported for some time now.
iPhones have supported this, too, but only on AT&T.  Why is that? 

- A call "block" feature whether in the phone itself or allow a third party to be able to build one without having to jailbreak it. Call block apps have been standard for years now on windows mobile and android.
This would be awesome.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: September 20, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »

My original Samsung Galaxy S has a memory card slot.  It's by the battery and you have to remove the case to get to it, but it takes up very little room.  It's not like what you find on the side of a laptop.  We're talking very small.

Apple isn't concerned with size, but price.  They want you to spend a ridiculous amount of money on internal memory and have no incentive to allow cheap memory cards. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

Yeah, the memory cards are Micro SD cards.  Paper thin and super small.

My WP7 had one, too.

The biggest issue seems to be that they can sometimes be used as a backdoor for hacking.  Something Android isn't too concerned with.  MS made the few phones that had it lock the cards permanently to the phone.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 20, 2012, 01:18:27 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 20, 2012, 07:39:28 AM

I'm not super familiar with Android offerings.  Can you link to an Android phone that has a size/shape equivalent to the iPhone 5 that also has room for a memory card slot?

The HTC Hero had a MicroSD Here are its tech specs. I guess that's actually closer to the size of the older iPhones, though. MicroSD is pretty much a standard feature on Android phones.

]
See my comment on the memory card slot.  Not meant as snark, I'm genuinely curious what phones have room for this.  The few Android phones I've handled have seemed gigantic.

This is starting to be via an external USB box now. My old EVO 4G had a built in HDMI, my new EVO 4G LTE does not.

iPhones have supported this, too, but only on AT&T.  Why is that? 
GSM supports it as part of it's default spec. CDMA does not (by default). For 3G CDMA, data is actually a 'call'. CDMA phones support WiFi and 3G calling or 4G (WiMax/LTE) and 3G calling because they use seperate antennas.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 20, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »

Facial Unlock has been on Android for a long time.  Lawsuit??📱🚓

HDMI Out is the feature I'm most bummed about.  At least I've got an Android tablet with HDMI out to use.  I really never thought we would use it very much, but we do!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1414 on: September 20, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 20, 2012, 03:23:21 PM

HDMI Out is the feature I'm most bummed about.  At least I've got an Android tablet with HDMI out to use.  I really never thought we would use it very much, but we do!

Get an apple tv and you'll realize the wonderful thing that is airplay. I'm rapidly getting to the point where I want to say goodbye to cords of all types and pushing my pics or video to the tv with barely a thought is definitely helping that.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 20, 2012, 03:28:12 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 20, 2012, 03:23:21 PM

Get an apple tv and you'll realize the wonderful thing that is airplay. I'm rapidly getting to the point where I want to say goodbye to cords of all types and pushing my pics or video to the tv with barely a thought is definitely helping that.

Seriously. Fuck cords. I had to get an hdmi adapter for my iPad this weekend because the goddamn NFL DirecTV app doesn't support AirPlay and we needed it for the tailgate. I raged pretty hard. Fuck. Cords.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 20, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 20, 2012, 03:53:22 PM

Seriously. Fuck cords. I had to get an hdmi adapter for my iPad this weekend because the goddamn NFL DirecTV app doesn't support AirPlay and we needed it for the tailgate. I raged pretty hard. Fuck. Cords.

+1

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 20, 2012, 04:01:19 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 20, 2012, 03:53:22 PM

+1

But, there's a sale!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »

Uh oh scuff-gate!!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 21, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »

I'll worry about my black iPhone scuffing when I actually get the thing.

Despite being the first at my BB to order a 64GB phone, I received the dreaded 28 Days Later email (the one saying "No launch for you" and it could be up to 28 days to get it).

Some folks got that email and then an "It's in!" email in the AM.  I am not one of those folks.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »

So your BB had none?  That seems weird.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 21, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »

Got mine from the UPS guy at 10am PST but had to go into work.  It definitely feels significantly lighter/thinner, which is pretty incredible given how light the 4S feels.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 21, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »

Bummer, my wife's phone has a pretty significant scratch of the shiny part of the bezel (the part polished with diamonds in the promo video).  Not real stoked about that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:50:44 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 21, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 21, 2012, 06:33:27 PM

So your BB had none?  That seems weird.

I thought the same thing, but I've called all the relevant people, and it seems to be the case.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 22, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

Was notified by Apple my phone shipped, should arrive 28th (next Friday).  icon_smile Time to go case hunting...

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »

So aside from the scratch, it's amazing how light the phone is.  It really does make the 4S feel like a brick.  Also, the earpods are legit.  They won't replace your noise canceling headphones, but for little buds, they have great bass response imo. 

Really concerned about all the dings and scratches on new phones though, especially the black model which apparently showcases them very prominently.  I think I'll be waiting a few months before taking the plunge.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 22, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »

I've never used LTE before and wow it's insane how fast is it!!!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 22, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

I don't agree with every point in this article, but I do agree with a lot of it.

http://www.cultofmac.com/192350/how-apples-obsession-with-google-is-hurting-apple/?utm_medium=twit&utm_campaign=spread-us
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1428 on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »

Maps will improve. One of the points that article omits is that a couple of years ago Google announced that they were going to charge considerably more for licensing their maps, sending several companies, including one that I was working for at the time, scrambling for an alternative as the fees proposed were downright draconian. Now, Google, as little as a few months ago, recanted and decided not to hike the price, but the damage was done- my company and many others turned to bing maps and open street maps and were either totally moved over or in the process of moving over. When a company with a near dominance in a market raises prices to a point of unaffordability the market responds and opens up opportunities for other companies to come in with competing products. I would argue that Apple is in a unique position to provide a competing maps product due to a large customer base providing the crowdsorced data the app requires, but no maps product would have parity right out the gate- google has a size able lead here.

I'm not going to entirely rule out spite as part if the equation given Steve Job's public statements about Google- this project started before his death. But I think it's ridiculous to say its the only factor.

And until Google+ opens up their APIs there is no way it will be able to compete strongly with Facebook. In their current state an iPhone integration just isn't possible. My current company's product is a social media management system for enterprise and we have a direct partnership with google and they are just now exploring that level of functionality.

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 22, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »

All well and good reasons for moving away from Google Maps, but it's still a ridiculously unacceptable product for a company that once prided itself on never releasing anything short of perfect.

Apple Maps is shit today.  It might be better sometime in the future, but today it is unarguably shit.  It's shocking to see Apple do this, to be honest.  I hope it isn't a sign for things to come, primarily from an investment perspective.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1430 on: September 23, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

The problem is that without crowd-sourced data, it won't get any better.

Mike Dunn
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 23, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 23, 2012, 12:18:38 AM

The problem is that without crowd-sourced data, it won't get any better.
That's right-so you should all go out and get lost multiple times so that eventually you won't get lost anymore. Interesting Cult of Mac article. I agree with everything except for the Google+ optimism. It's way way better than Facebook but I don't see any more of my friends making the transition over to it.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 23, 2012, 02:11:54 AM »

In regards to Google+, I love it. I have a full science circle where I get a good stream of interesting articles. And in general I go to that more than Facebook or Twitter.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 23, 2012, 03:20:21 AM »

Google+ is perhaps the only thing shittier than Apple Maps.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 23, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »

What's the big complaint on the maps app?  I've used it a few times and it's been spot on.  I've had Navigon forever on my phone, so I have that as backup, but I like the Siri integration for getting directions and it hasn't gotten me  lost at all.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 23, 2012, 04:25:33 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 23, 2012, 04:15:32 AM

What's the big complaint on the maps app?  I've used it a few times and it's been spot on.  I've had Navigon forever on my phone, so I have that as backup, but I like the Siri integration for getting directions and it hasn't gotten me  lost at all.

Same.  I used it for turn by turn directions today in the Marin Headlands and it was excellent.  All I've seen is weird images in other areas of the world.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:55 AM »

Public transit. It has none.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1437 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10:08 AM »

Other than the loss of transit, has anyone here complaining about the new maps app had any negative experiences with it?

Mike Dunn
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:03 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 23, 2012, 03:20:21 AM

Google+ is perhaps the only thing shittier than Apple Maps.
Off topic sorry, but what exactly do you find shitty about Google maps other than the lack of sheeple? That's my only complaint although because of that I don't use it enough to find any other problems.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 23, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on September 23, 2012, 04:46:55 AM

Public transit. It has none.

Transit was about one of the few things I used the map app for before I moved out into the country.  luckily I can still pull up Google Maps through Safari and use it that way in a pinch, but it won't matter in a couple of months.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: