http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk Iphone  (Read 53847 times)
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:39 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 12, 2012, 09:57:09 PM

Uh, no, I'm looking at the pixel density of my iphone and ipad and there are only a small amount of devices on the market that come close to the crispness (yes, Calvera's example is one of them).  To say "all high end phones have retina" is disingenuous. I am a designer, I do know a thing or two about resolution and pixel density (as well as marketing buzzwords slywink)

Frankly I find the Evo too large for a phone, so I'm glad Apple kept the screen down to a size that can fit comfortably in a pocket still.

The presently available top end offerings from Samsung and HTC offer comparable pixel density. The already announced and soon-to-be-available top offerings from Moto, Nokia, and LG also offer comparable pixel density (Nokia's is tops I believe). I don't think it was a disingenuous statement; I think it was an accurate one. The Retina advantage is over.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »

I think the 5 looks pretty good, but iOS 6 is really what I'm most interested in and I don't see enough to warrant trading in my 4S for the 5.

Sprint finally announced new cities to be receiving LTE in the coming months and  my city is in the list (Chattanooga).

Once that happens I will be in the market for an LTE phone. 

I have no idea which route I'll go.   I'm still a huge Android fan, I feel the apps on IOS are more polished, and the new Nokia Lumia 920 looks fantastic.

Go Gunners...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 13, 2012, 02:14:06 AM »

the new earbuds look... odd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »

Wow very underwhelming. No doubt the specs got bumped a bit but other than the long, skinny look it seems like the most revolutionary change is having another row of icons on their still widgetless screens. I have no doubt that they'll sell like hotcakes but when Apple only has one big revision per year compared to 3 or 4 for Android they need to put out something that is leaps and bounds beyond the competition, not merely "comparible".
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 13, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »

The more I look at pictures the more I feel like I don't like the new dimensions.  I know there are plenty of consumers who like huge screens, but I like my phone to be compact, and the existing iPhone size has already been at the limits of what I want.  I don't think I want a longer iPhone.

In fact, there's one pair of work pants I have with annoyingly shallow pockets.  I already worry a bit that my current iPhone will wriggle out, but the iPhone 5 seems almost certain to fall out.

Other oddity, isn't it kind of weird that they nixed having revision numbers on the iPad but kept it going for the iPhone?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: September 13, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2012, 01:17:37 PM

In fact, there's one pair of work pants I have with annoyingly shallow pockets.  I already worry a bit that my current iPhone will wriggle out, but the iPhone 5 seems almost certain to fall out.

Stop working at Hooters and you won't have to wear those hot pants anymore?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 13, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

Lol

Go Gunners...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

While a part of me is with the cynics feeling "underwhelmed" by iPhone 5, I have to stop and ask myself just what the heck is it I was hoping for or expecting.  I mean at this point, seriously, what is it that people are wanting in a new phone (or iPhone specifically)?  Make the size too much larger and people will complain it's too big, change the entire icon system and people will complain about fixing something that wasn't broken, etc etc.  At this point unless it shoots lasers or reaches out and gives you a handjob, I'm not quite sure what incredible feature you could add to a phone in this sort of general form factor.

We're talking about a mature product that people already love, so why change it away from the fundamentals of what made it popular to begin with?  From a pure engineering standpoint, I again challenge anyone to find another product that in less than a year doubles its graphics and processing speeds while increasing screen size (and resolution) while maintaining battery life and actually getting physically lighter/thinner.  Not to mention all the other "minor" improvements to the camera, sound, antenna, LTE, etc.

I suppose it really is just a matter of perspective, I think our expectations (including my own) at this point are perhaps too unrealistic.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

Lasers are a 3rd party add-on. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 13, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »

I think icons that are more like widgets that can give you updated info just when you look at them would be good.

It's one of the things WP7 does really well.

It's incredibly useful for email, weather, texts, Facebook updates, etc.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 13, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »

I agree about widgets.

I also agree with Rittchards (first!), I think expectations were too high and I'm an Android fan that owns the 4s.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Nokia though...

Go Gunners...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

Case-wise, fwiw, I noticed on Mophie's Twitter page that they plan to have a lot of "killer new products" for iPhone 5. As with apparently all the 3rd party case makers they didn't receive any advance copies so they're still working on their designs.

Although their main schtick is cases that have a battery-built in, I did get one of their Juice Pack Boost thingies for my Touch (it's meant for that or iPhone). I assume it'll still be useful (if a tad less graceful) with the iPhone 5/iPod Touch 7th gen.

Some poor guy asked about a "case adapter" for iPhone 4/4s cases. Not too likely. Would be nice maybe if they offered a trade-in for credit or something on previous model case. Maybe not sensible, just perhaps good customer relations.
=======
And the ever exciting...

Lightning to 30-pin adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:50:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 13, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »

I hope they make an adapter that has a short cord, too.  If that one's all that's available then that'll probably be the dealbreaker on which version my wife upgrades to.  There's no way her new phone is going to balance on top of that whenever she uses our existing phone docks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »

Here's some "hands-on" impressions floating in...

Wired.com's Gadget Lab
Itís terrific, but nothing that will blow your mind-hole.
The most noticeable difference between the iPhone 5 and a 4S/4 is just how crazy light this new thing is. Itís actually lighter than plasticky Samsung phones like the Galaxy S III, yet it doesnít feel cheap. The switch to a primarily aluminum back plate (and the slimming Apple did as far as the in-cell display and other internals go) make it 20 percent lighter weight its glass-backed predecessor. After years using the 4/4S form factor, I found the weight loss completely surprising, especially given the increased size.
Another pleasant change is the iPhone 5′s brushed aluminum bezel and rear plate, rather than slick aluminum of its predecessor. One of the problems I find with some larger phones, like the Nokia Lumia 900, is that their size and smooth veneer make can make them tough to hold onto. Not so with the 5. Since itís the same width as the current iPhone, you donít need to awkwardly stretch your hand wider to grasp it, which is a definite plus ó unless you find the iPhone too small for your palm. Besides being quite handsome to look at, the brushed aluminum texture adds a subtle and comforting level of friction between skin and metal.
Colors are bright and rich (it has 44 percent more color saturation than the 4S), text is expectedly crisp, and high-resolution images look stunning. The added fifth row of app icons on the homescreen feels completely natural.

The A6 processor makes onscreen interactions, app loading, and webpage opening practically instantaneous.
Our overall impression of the iPhone 5: Itís another iPhone. Just longer. And better. Although there may not be one individual feature about it that makes you scream, ďIíve got to have it now!Ē, all the improvements together make it a gotta-have handset.

CNN
One of the more striking things about holding a new iPhone model is how your old iPhone, which seemed perfectly sleek and adequate just an hour earlier, can suddenly feel slow, clunky and heavy. It's a neat trick, one that Apple is betting on to help it ship new units to existing iPhone owners in the coming year.
The phone is incredibly light, and that weight is its most striking and memorable feature. It feels almost delicate in the hand, naked without some sort of protective case to prevent it from snapping in half. Of course, the iPhone is not nearly that fragile. The body is made out of the same aluminum found in MacBooks, as well as glass. It feels expensive, not like a plastic device that could break easily.
It did feel zippy as we flipped through the new Passbook feature, watched movies and scrolled through websites; however, these tasks weren't exactly lagging on the iPhone 4. Games were a great place to see the processor in action, where detailed graphics are rendered incredibly fast.

Also noticeably speedy was the new panorama feature in the camera app, which processed a 360-degree image of the room almost instantly.

Laptop Magazine
The A6 chip under the hood provided fluid performance during our hands-on time. The camera fired even faster than on the iPhone 4S. Speaking of the 8-MP camera, low-light performance does seem to be improved, and we really like the new panorama feature. Just touch options in the camera view, select this option, and your iPhone 5 will guide you through the process, keeping you lined up and even warning you to slow down if you go too fast. The resulting pics impressed, which equal 28 megapixels.
The design is sturdy and super-slim. And we like that itís just as narrow as before, which makes it easier for one-finger typing when youíre on the go. Our only gripe is that the headphone connector is on the bottom. The new Lightning connector is tiny but the cable end is reversible so you canít insert it the wrong way. Although we were in a loud room, the speakers do seem to have more oomph than before, which we noticed when playing back videos.
The Galaxy S III and HTC One X also have an edge when it comes to burst mode shooting. We didnít see such an option on the iPhone 5. Nor is there anything like a Best Shot mode.

Overall, though, the iPhone 5 looks like a winner. It crams a lot of powerful new features into a first-class design that people will be clamoring for.
Note that 4th gen iPod Touch already has a headphone connector at the bottom. It bothered me at first, but it really hasn't been a concern since (I use wireless Bluetooth headphones at home).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:15:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 13, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2012, 03:39:59 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2012, 01:17:37 PM

In fact, there's one pair of work pants I have with annoyingly shallow pockets.  I already worry a bit that my current iPhone will wriggle out, but the iPhone 5 seems almost certain to fall out.

Stop working at Hooters and you won't have to wear those hot pants anymore?

Damnit, I guess Ill have to go with my "skinny" jeans remark now that the hooters one is taken!!!! Did I read above that the new iPhone gives handjobs and fires lasers? Talk about 2 birds one stone...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:17:27 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: September 13, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

Tempting, I do have to admit. I'm far from a long time Apple user (my first iDevice was an iPad 3 (or New iPad or just iPad or whatever)), but the feature set on this along with other things looks like quite the step up from my Evo 3D '4G' (4G in quotes as Sprint is ass and still doesn't have this in Phoenix, AZ of all places). Problem is that I'm still 200 days away from my 2 year contract reset.

And I'd love to jump ship to T-Mobile, buy a phone outright, and pay only $40 a month to keep it running.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »

I was planning on jumping ship with whatever the new iPhone was, so I'm not disappoint.

My biggest issue is that I was hoping to finally go back to Verizon.  Better coverage (and actual 4G LTE in my area).  Plus I like they're customer service much better.  I was always a happier customer with Verizon.  The switch was practically a done deal.

Especially when I found out that it would only be $100 to jump ship.  My AT&T contract is up in November.  When we had to switch to AT&T, it cost more than three times that.

However, it turns out that the best Verizon can do for me is $110/month.  With AT&T, my monthly rate will be in the neighborhood of $75/month.  Plus, the lady suggested I talk to their customer service department and tell them I'm thinking about cancelling.  She said I could get an even better rate.

Now unless the lady's math is wrong, that's a huge price difference.  I tried to get a better deal with Verizon, and the guy basically said too bad.

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 14, 2012, 01:36:33 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 13, 2012, 04:46:10 PM

From a pure engineering standpoint, I again challenge anyone to find another product that in less than a year doubles its graphics and processing speeds while increasing screen size (and resolution) while maintaining battery life and actually getting physically lighter/thinner.  Not to mention all the other "minor" improvements to the camera, sound, antenna, LTE, etc.

I guess you missed the Moto Razr HD announcement.  icon_biggrin
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 14, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »

So for actual iPhoners out there, have you found the AppleCare+stuff worth it at all? I seem to read a lot of complaints from some that the stores generally won't replace your battery (they don't want to be bothered, etc.) even if you claim it won't hold a charge, for example.

I declined that on the New iPad, which I mainly use at home, and I think that was the right decision for me.

I guess I'm just debating if it's worth it for the iPhone 5. I mean, I think it'd be worth it on paper, but not if the Apple Store folks are Dicks about honoring it.  icon_razz Or for that matter Verizon folks.

Speaking of which, if you already have a Verizon cellphone (but not iPhone), does it make more sense to order it directly from Verizon Wireless, or to go through the Apple Store web site? Or maybe it just doesn't matter? I just mean, even if you ordered from Apple, wouldn't you still need to contact Verizon to activate the phone?

I'm basically a cellphone weenie who hasn't upgraded his phone in 8 years. I'd just like to keep my interaction with obnoxious (my general experience) sales folks online to a minimum.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:26:48 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 14, 2012, 02:26:01 AM »

So my 2+ year old iPhone 4 had a bit of an accident today.  My work badge fell off, and when I bent down to pick it up, my iPhone fell from my shirt pocket and landed flat on the face on a hard tile floor...suffice to say the glass shattered.

I will be honest, I use very little of the functionality of the phone.  The main thing I do with the phone is use it as an MP3 player, but beyond that I check email, use tapatalk now and again to check forums, and I use it as a camera.  I only use maybe 30 minutes a month, 200 mb of data and maybe 5-10 texts.  That said, until I dropped the phone, I had never once had an issue with it...battery life has been excellent, and very few app issues, so I am considering upgrading to the iPhone 5.  I am not a big cell phone person, I really don't know what else is out there that is of an equally high quality, that would be available on AT&T.  What other options should I be considering?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:46 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 14, 2012, 02:22:42 AM

So for actual iPhoners out there, have you found the AppleCare+stuff worth it at all? I seem to read a lot of complaints from some that the stores generally won't replace your battery (they don't want to be bothered, etc.) even if you claim it won't hold a charge, for example.

I declined that on the New iPad, which I mainly use at home, and I think that was the right decision for me.

I guess I'm just debating if it's worth it for the iPhone 5. I mean, I think it'd be worth it on paper, but not if the Apple Store folks are Dicks about honoring it.  icon_razz Or for that matter Verizon folks.

Speaking of which, if you already have a Verizon cellphone (but not iPhone), does it make more sense to order it directly from Verizon Wireless, or to go through the Apple Store web site? Or maybe it just doesn't matter? I just mean, even if you ordered from Apple, wouldn't you still need to contact Verizon to activate the phone?

I'm basically a cellphone weenie who hasn't upgraded his phone in 8 years. I'd just like to keep my interaction with obnoxious (my general experience) sales folks online to a minimum.

Go through the Apple Store. The cellphone providers don't have the level of customer service Apple does by any stretch.

Apple Care is really good, for iPhone and for their other products Actually the best extended warranty plan I've ever used. I've had phones outright replaced a couple of times with very little resistance.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1381 on: September 14, 2012, 02:52:26 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 14, 2012, 02:26:01 AM

What other options should I be considering?

Switch to T-Mobile's 'pay as you go' plan. For an absolutely minimum plan (like I am), you can get 100 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data (5GB/month), for $30 a month. Problem is that you have to bring your own phone (so you'll have to pay full price for whatever you want to own), but you'll quickly make it back in drastically reduced monthly fees.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Why I'm highly debating on dropping Sprint whenever my contract ends, buying a nice phone outright (like an iPhone), and then saving $50 a month on my cell plan.

And Blackjack, I've heard nothing but good things about visiting Apple stores if you happen to have any problems with your iPhone (especially assuming you have a warranty). Honestly, if I owned an iPhone, I'd visit them first with any problems verses the carrier you have your phone with.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 14, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »

Thanks, th'FOOL, Destructor for the input.  icon_smile If I wake up and follow through, it'll be through the Apple Store, sticking with Verizon.

I'm reading through the FAQ (now updated a bit to reflect iPhone 5):
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Sounds like I oughta be able to just order it, receive it, follow the prompts, join the revolution.  icon_smile Ain't no way I can stay up until 3 a.m. EST, so I'm sure by the time I order -- if I can still order at all -- it'll be not reaching me until October or something. That's OK, though it would've been nice for this business trip I have next week in the Atlanta area (voice prompts in Apple's new map app). Instead I'll be using my printed Mapquest maps like the out-of-touch old fart I am.  icon_razz

I think 32GB (as with my Touch) would do for me. My Touch and iPad each are 32GB models usually with about 2-3GB space free. What I really wish is that there was like a 48GB model but I assume there is either a technical or economic reason for not doing that.

I wish Verizon still separated the voice, text, data. I think I'd be more likely to use data a lot, and text maybe more than I do now. Most of my pals and family keep in touch via e-mail and a bit o'text

I'm thinking maybe the $90/mo bundle (1GB data/mo, $15/GB beyond that) might be a good starting point? I don't really have a grasp of how much i'd be using it. That's one notch above the minimum (300MB/mo data)

I don't take $1,080/year lightly. I think that's why I've been content with a brick cellphone (minimal $20 or so/mo plan) and Touch for years. It's like, "Do you really want this smartphone gizmo enough to pay $840 more per year?" I waited 5 years though, right? Maybe it's time to give in.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:29:41 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 14, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

Hmmm, OK I misunderstood. The $90/mo thing was a shared plan (multiple smartphones, tablets etc.) which I don't need.

The one thing confusing me in Apple Store ordering the iPhone5 is I can't seem to edit my existing voice plan (the little $20-ish a month thing I have). There's an editing screen but no ability I can see to change the voice plan unless you go for a shared plan thingie.

But... maybe that's a good thing since I said I wanted an iPhone more for the data plan? Maybe that's OK as a start.  icon_smile Though I wanted to at least upgrade voice to something a bit more generous.

Anyway, in that case the 2G data package adds $30, and I might just do texting "by text" (I have free texting apps that work fine). So it'll be more like $50 or month or so initially. I guess I'd have to update the voice plan at the Verizon site. I might do the 4GB data/hotspot plan. Just so I can use my iPad with a hotspot in some occasions where I've wanted to.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:18:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 14, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

I've done it, guys!!!!!  retard I'll be the only idiot in town with a $400 (64GB model) iPhone 5 and a useless $20/mo calling plan. We'll see how that works. It's just I see myself using it far more for data-y stuff. It's about time I found out...

fyi, it said it won't ship for a couple weeks, and then it might be up to 5 days for it to reach me via the free standard shipping. So maybe I'll receive it around Oct. 3? That would be cool for me. I'm hoping to attend this HS fall festival where my nephew the would-be rock star is performing. Hopefully I'll have it in time to use to film/photograph some stuff there.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 14, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 14, 2012, 02:52:26 AM

Quote from: Arkon on September 14, 2012, 02:26:01 AM

What other options should I be considering?

Switch to T-Mobile's 'pay as you go' plan. For an absolutely minimum plan (like I am), you can get 100 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data (5GB/month), for $30 a month. Problem is that you have to bring your own phone (so you'll have to pay full price for whatever you want to own), but you'll quickly make it back in drastically reduced monthly fees.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Why I'm highly debating on dropping Sprint whenever my contract ends, buying a nice phone outright (like an iPhone), and then saving $50 a month on my cell plan.

And Blackjack, I've heard nothing but good things about visiting Apple stores if you happen to have any problems with your iPhone (especially assuming you have a warranty). Honestly, if I owned an iPhone, I'd visit them first with any problems verses the carrier you have your phone with.

I just recently dropped Sprint and went with Virgin Mobile (sprint prepaid basically) you can get 300 minutes, unlimited text and data (throttled after 2.5GB) on an iPhone for $30.

These days with being able to use just about any phone on prepaid, it gets harder and harder to justify a 2 year contract at twice (or more) the cost.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 14, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

In. Damn the white one looks really nice. I miss the silver Apple on the black one.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 14, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »

I happened to be up at the time the pre-sale went live (damn you, insomnia!), but I was able to get in through the Apple site with very little issue and order the black 16GB model. 10 minutes later, a friend of mine said that they're shipping in 2 weeks.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 14, 2012, 02:23:46 PM

I happened to be up at the time the pre-sale went live (damn you, insomnia!), but I was able to get in through the Apple site with very little issue and order the black 16GB model. 10 minutes later, a friend of mine said that they're shipping in 2 weeks.

Yeah that is what I saw this morning, and unfortunately that screws me up a bit because I have to fly out for work on the 23rd...I wonder if I can get it in the store instead on the 21st before I have to fly out.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 14, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 14, 2012, 02:38:20 PM

Quote from: rickfc on September 14, 2012, 02:23:46 PM

Yeah that is what I saw this morning, and unfortunately that screws me up a bit because I have to fly out for work on the 23rd...I wonder if I can get it in the store instead on the 21st before I have to fly out.
I was a little puzzled at the Apple site because I saw a "check bubble" to pick it up in store after Sept. 21, but it would not let me choose it. So I'm having it sent to work.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but iPhones are stolen so often around here (sometimes ripped out of folks' grasp at the subway stations and elsewhere), that I figure a black one will stand out less.  paranoid Yeah I know. As if Android phones get stolen less or something.  icon_razz

I suspect I might get a case too, so maybe color's a moot point for me. I am happy with my white iPad -- it turned out the Smart Cover (I no longer use) was 100 times more fingerprint prone than a white iPad itself.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:01:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1390 on: September 14, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 14, 2012, 11:54:26 AM

I just recently dropped Sprint and went with Virgin Mobile (sprint prepaid basically) you can get 300 minutes, unlimited text and data (throttled after 2.5GB) on an iPhone for $30.

These days with being able to use just about any phone on prepaid, it gets harder and harder to justify a 2 year contract at twice (or more) the cost.

I didn't think about Virgin Mobile. Good idea. Now I just need to wait to get off my old contract and get a phone.

Another idea for AT&T/T-Mobile users is Straight Talk:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/straight-talk-it-could-let-you-dump-att-or-t-mobile/

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

Sadly, my contract is not up until next year, so no iPhone 5 for me.  When I was on AT&T, they would let you renew the two years to get the phone at the lower price, but my work made me switch to Verizon and they don't seem to do that. frown

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

I'm not up for a new phone until next year, too, but that's fine by me.  I've kind of liked being on the "S" version of the upgrade cycle.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 14, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »

The inevitable tsunami of iPhone 5 cases begins. Here's one roundup of 10 (some look ghastly but are meant for heavy-abuse situations; others are "barely there"):
http://www.phonearena.com/news/10-cool-iPhone-5-cases_id34446#1-Seidio-Convert-Combo-iPhone-5-case

Since early hands-on comment a lot about how good it feels to, well, fondle the aluminum  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you., I don't know how appealing cases will be. I guess it depends on whether the aluminum's prone to scratching. Dammit, why did I become an early adopter? I rely on you guys to warn me about these things first.  icon_smile

I think I just renewed my contract in May 2012. So I dunno... maybe this indentures me to Verizon for 3 more years or something? I am so out of the knowledge loop on that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:07:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 14, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 14, 2012, 04:58:26 PM

I think I just renewed my contract in May 2012. So I dunno... maybe this indentures me to Verizon for 3 more years or something? I am so out of the knowledge loop on that sort of thing.

You can find out just by going to preorder.  There's a verification step that will tell you your eligibility.  I am on the "S" cycle and don't think it's worth $550 for a 32 gig, so I'll wait it out until next year.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 14, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »

Looks like I'm in with AT&T again. 

On the plus side, I went to Best Buy for the purchase, and it turns out I got a $50 gift card with it. 

And there were no lines.  And I ordered the big one, size-wise, and she said I was the first one to do so.  I will get it on Friday, no problem.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 15, 2012, 02:17:24 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 14, 2012, 07:01:04 PM

Looks like I'm in with AT&T again. 

On the plus side, I went to Best Buy for the purchase, and it turns out I got a $50 gift card with it. 

And there were no lines.  And I ordered the big one, size-wise, and she said I was the first one to do so.  I will get it on Friday, no problem.

I am thinking of seeing if I can cancel my preorder on apple.com and go in to a store instead, so that I can get my phone before flying out to San Jose.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 15, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

Cult of Mac reviews them thar new earbuds, mighty durn impressed
http://www.cultofmac.com/190882/apples-earpods-finally-a-pair-of-earbuds-worthy-of-the-iphone-review/
The EarPods have a new, longer inline remote, with easier to press buttons. You can control volume and play/pause, along with triggering Siri, and answering/hanging up calls.

The cable is a nice, floppy, rubbery plastic, and thereís a new clip to hold the two top sections of cable together. Unlike the old one, which slid up to secure the loose ends, this one is fixed to one side, and slides up and down, but is open on the other side to let you push the other cable home.

Thus you can cinch the cable for a comfy fit, and still quickly break the two sides apart.
But the main change is of course the pods at then end of these wires. Theyíre similar in shape to a normal earbud, but the sound comes out of the side instead of the back. This shoves the sound waves directly down your canal, and secondary holes let the air inside pass to the outside. This is roughly equivalent to an open baffle speaker design. Whatever. The result is that the EarPods sound amazing.

They also tracked down the blueprints, presumably for case makers... And faux iPhone 5 makers overseas  ninja2
http://www.cultofmac.com/190960/these-are-the-blueprints-for-the-new-iphone-5-image/
Also handy for figuring out what size pocket they'll fit in.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:26:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 15, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »

Blackjack, if you jail break it you can use the hotspot feature for free.

Go Gunners...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

Eco, don't turn me to the dark side before I even get a chance to get indocrinated.  icon_smile Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep that in mind.

Cult of Mac did a nice reviews roundup:
http://www.cultofmac.com/191454/early-iphone-5-reviews-hit-the-web-everyone-loves-apples-latest-handset-roundup/
*fwiw, they seem far more enthused than the initial 4S reviews.

Hey! I figured out this new forum "highlights" feature when you link something. Ron's trying to make my pull quoting tendencies a moot point! Noooooooooooo!  *Fist Shaking*  icon_razz
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:46:59 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: