http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 10:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk Iphone  (Read 60152 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 26, 2012, 05:24:45 AM

Hey all just got an iPhone 4S today and the screen has the dreaded yellow tint I am now reading about on the interwebs. The phone does not appear to be recently manufactured as the iOS needed to be updated when I set it up. Looks like quite a few people have had this issue and I'm wondering if anyone here at GT has had a device with yellow tint and had success replacing it (meaning did the replacement have a cool blue tint instead.)  Also, anyone here with a 4S that does NOT have the yellow ting screen?  After 2 iPhone 4 and 3 x iPads, this is the first problem device I've had. Going back to the apple store tomorrow, but curious if anyone had seen this here. Thanks.

I read that the yellow splotches are temporary.  From macintouch.com:
Yellow Screen Splotches

Several users have reported yellow blemishes at the corners of their iPhone 4 screens. This appears to be a purely cosmetic and temporary issue that is the result of a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 [from Dow Corning], which is used to to bond the layers of glass. As the device is exposed to air and used, evaporation occurs and the yellow splotches disappear.

Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 30, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »

Hey, you can use an iPhone's 3G connection (tethering?) using a WiFi-only iPad, right? Of course right now I'm still using a 2004 Nokia brick phone so this question is strictly hypothetical. I just don't know anyone who's used one that way and can maybe speak to whether it works OK.

I think my Verizon Wireless contract renewal is approaching, and might be a good time to finally upgrade. God knows I waited long enough.  icon_redface

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 30, 2012, 08:03:32 PM

Hey, you can use an iPhone's 3G connection (tethering?) using a WiFi-only iPad, right? Of course right now I'm still using a 2004 Nokia brick phone so this question is strictly hypothetical. I just don't know anyone who's used one that way and can maybe speak to whether it works OK.

I think my Verizon Wireless contract renewal is approaching, and might be a good time to finally upgrade. God knows I waited long enough.  icon_redface

If you jailbreak it, or you pay the extra 20 or whatever plus a month for tethering which only gets you 2Gig if that.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 31, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 31, 2012, 12:48:29 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 30, 2012, 08:03:32 PM

If you jailbreak it, or you pay the extra 20 or whatever plus a month for tethering which only gets you 2Gig if that.

5 GB, actually. Still a ripoff, though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 15, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

iPhone 5 coming sooner than expected?

If the latest report ends up proving true, we could be seeing the next iPhone launch sooner than expected. A “reliable industry source” told KnowYourMobile that the next iPhone will be unveiled during an August 7 Apple keynote. The next iteration of Apple’s mobile operating system, iOS 6, is also expected to be officially released at the same time.

Last year, the iPhone 4S debuted October 4 and went on sale a week later. The iPhone 4 was launched in June at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference the year before that. This year, Apple has largely been expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone in either September or October.

A late-September to early-October launch puts the iPhone in a good position for holiday sales, giving Apple the full span of its holiday quarter for beefy profits and sales numbers. An August launch feels a bit early for us, but Apple shook things up with the launch date of the iPhone last year, so it’s certainly in the realm of possibility.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 15, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2012, 09:03:22 PM

iPhone 5 coming sooner than expected?

If the latest report ends up proving true, we could be seeing the next iPhone launch sooner than expected. A “reliable industry source” told KnowYourMobile that the next iPhone will be unveiled during an August 7 Apple keynote. The next iteration of Apple’s mobile operating system, iOS 6, is also expected to be officially released at the same time.

Last year, the iPhone 4S debuted October 4 and went on sale a week later. The iPhone 4 was launched in June at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference the year before that. This year, Apple has largely been expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone in either September or October.

A late-September to early-October launch puts the iPhone in a good position for holiday sales, giving Apple the full span of its holiday quarter for beefy profits and sales numbers. An August launch feels a bit early for us, but Apple shook things up with the launch date of the iPhone last year, so it’s certainly in the realm of possibility.

Nope.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/13/apples-rumored-august-7-iphone-5-launch-event/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »

good, that still gives Samsung a chance to wow me with the Note 2 biggrin

(who is Jim Dalrymple btw?)

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »

will the iPhone 5 have a smaller dock connector? 

Apple's new iPhone will drop the wide dock connector used in the company's gadgets for the best part of a decade in favor of a smaller one, a change likely to annoy the Apple faithful but which could be a boon for accessory makers.

The iPhone 5, Apple's next generation iPhone expected to go on sale around October, will come with a 19-pin connector port at the bottom instead of the proprietary 30-pin port "to make room for the earphone moving to the bottom", two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

That would mean the new phone would not connect with the myriad of accessories such as speakers and power chargers that form part of the ecosystem around iPods, iPads and iPhones, without an adaptor.

That means new business, analysts say.

"It represents an opportunity for accessory vendors," said Pete Cunningham, London-based analyst at technology research firm Canalys. "The iPhone connector has been a standard for a long time now and I would expect the same to be true for a new connector, should Apple change it as expected."

Apple did not immediately reply to an emailed request for comment.

I'm not sure why they'd feel the need to move the headphone jack; does music sound better when it comes out of the bottom?

(fart jokes in 3...2...1.....)

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2012, 06:09:14 PM

I'm not sure why they'd feel the need to move the headphone jack; does music sound better when it comes out of the bottom?

Less interference maybe?

Great article on the history and future of the dock connector here:  http://www.cultofmac.com/178093/the-future-of-apples-dock-connector-feature/
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »

I just wish Apple would switch to a USB connector instead of the proprietary BS.  I'm surprised they're not switching to a proprietary headphone jack.

deadhorse

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 23, 2012, 06:36:50 PM

I just wish Apple would switch to a USB connector instead of the proprietary BS.  I'm surprised they're not switching to a proprietary headphone jack.

deadhorse

I'm assuming you did not read the article otherwise you'd know exactly why that can never happen.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »

I read it after I posted.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/

iMore has learned that Apple is planning to debut the new iPhone at a special event on Wednesday, September 12, 2012, with the release date to follow 9 days later on Friday, September 21.

"Yep." says Dalrymple.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 01, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »

Verge had an interesting roundup of images of various iPhone prototypes Apple's designer showed during the ongoing Apple v. Samsung trial:

Nearly 40 iPhone and iPad prototypes revealed in Samsung trial
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/31/3209913/apple-iphone-ipad-prototypes-new-samsung-trial-pictures
*I kinda dig the silver iPhone prototype though I suspect it maybe looked too much like some Sony VAIO stuff from that era.

I was gonna finally break down and get an iPhone (my iPod Touch's battery is not holding charges well; I can get it replaced, but it's usually an excuse to upgrade or get an iPhone), but... guess I'll wait a bit.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:31:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 30, 2012, 11:24:40 PM

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/

iMore has learned that Apple is planning to debut the new iPhone at a special event on Wednesday, September 12, 2012, with the release date to follow 9 days later on Friday, September 21.

"Yep." says Dalrymple.

dammit.  I guess I can wait until then to decide.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 02, 2012, 05:04:35 AM »

Has anyone gotten the iPhone on Virgin Mobile yet? I was thinking of it but $650 is a new quad core laptop..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 02, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »

supposed iPhone 5 casing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AyOqeDfJueM

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:24 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 06, 2011, 08:48:37 PM

If you get an iPhone plan that's not unlimited (I guess only Sprint will be offering one), is there some app or meter or something you can check to see how much of your monthly data allowance you've used?

Endgadget seemed to indicate the cheapest option would be an AT&T plan though it seems pretty puny on the data limit. I don't think I have a handle on what a reasonable limit is.

Their chart's a little intimidating to scan through for a smartphone neophyte like me...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/06/how-much-will-the-iphone-4s-plans-set-you-back-on-sprint-verizo/
The cheapest taste of the iPhone comes courtesy of AT&T with 450 minutes and 200MB of data for $55 before additional taxes and fees.

I think I could stick with Verizon and get a $39.99 450 minute plan and add $30/mo. for 2GB monthly data. That seems more reasonable, right? I waste $15 on lunch every two days anyway.  icon_smile

You could try putting the ATT model on Straight Talk which still claims "unlimited". You buy the sim card from straight talk directly and then use it on any ATT phone. Unlimited talk / text / data for $45.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:40 AM »

wow, how the iPhone was nearly shelved.  can you imagine?

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 02, 2012, 05:13:58 AM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on October 05, 2011, 12:19:30 PM

Quote from: msteelers on October 05, 2011, 11:53:47 AM

This is why I didn't upgrade past my 3G and have been holding out to see what their new phone would be. Now it's just a financial question of whether to spend the full $200 for the 4s, or just the $100 on the iphone 4.

8gb is extremely limiting. I'd be completely content with the 4's performance, but not its capacity.

That's one thing Apple definitely needs to take into account for future models. Give us the option of adding a memory card so we can choose how much space we need. Of course that won't happen though because then they'd have to charge less and the iPhone is too much of a cash cow for Apple right now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 02, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 01, 2012, 07:23:37 PM

I was gonna finally break down and get an iPhone (my iPod Touch's battery is not holding charges well; I can get it replaced, but it's usually an excuse to upgrade or get an iPhone), but... guess I'll wait a bit.

just occurred to me:  you might be able to get a good deal on an used one when the new one launches.  I'm sure the market will be flooded with 4 and 4s's.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:06 AM »

New rumor roundup:

http://gizmodo.com/5930100/apples-next-iphone-the-complete-rumor-roundup

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 02, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 02, 2012, 05:13:58 AM

Quote from: zinckiwi on October 05, 2011, 12:19:30 PM

Quote from: msteelers on October 05, 2011, 11:53:47 AM

This is why I didn't upgrade past my 3G and have been holding out to see what their new phone would be. Now it's just a financial question of whether to spend the full $200 for the 4s, or just the $100 on the iphone 4.

8gb is extremely limiting. I'd be completely content with the 4's performance, but not its capacity.

That's one thing Apple definitely needs to take into account for future models. Give us the option of adding a memory card so we can choose how much space we need. Of course that won't happen though because then they'd have to charge less and the iPhone is too much of a cash cow for Apple right now.

Not gonna happen.  Very much against the Apple design philosophy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 02, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 02, 2012, 05:22:49 AM

that's probably why they're focusing on Cloud so they can offer alternatives to removable memory cards.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 02, 2012, 06:07:17 AM

Not gonna happen.  Very much against the Apple design philosophy.

that's probably why they're focusing on Cloud so they can offer alternatives to removable memory cards.
So why exactly is Apple so terrified of memory cards anyway? What exactly is refusing to add a tiny memory card slot on iOS devices accomplishing, other than forcing app/photo/music hawgs like me to buy the more expensive 32GB and 64GB models of their devices? Macbooks have SDXC card slots afterall.

I love my two iOS products but the memory card slot phobia of theirs I still don't particularly understand. If it's that they don't want memory card slot makers to make money, why not just drive everybody nuts with an Apple-proprietary memory card design, and then add a slot for that?

*Probably, someone asked this 100 times already. Apologies if it was already explained. I just don't buy "design philosophy" as a good reason not to include the slot. If it's just sheer greed, well, hey, I'd understand that even if I didn't agree.  icon_smile If it's more that I would have performance issues accessing stuff off the memory card, something like that, then I'd understand. I never see it explained in technical terms, it's just "Apple doesn't do things like that."  confused
===============

Sharp exec apparently publicly announced it was shipping screens for Apple's "next iPhone" during August:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/02/us-sharp-apple-shipments-idUSBRE8710GF20120802
Japan's Sharp Corp. will start shipping screens destined for a new Apple iPhone that is widely expected to be released in October ahead of the pre-Christmas shopping season.

"Shipments will start in August," Sharp's new president, Takashi Okuda, said at a press briefing in Tokyo on Thursday after the company released its latest quarterly earnings.

He declined to give a more specific date for shipments beyond this month.
Perhaps that's what it will be called?

The NextTM iPhone
 icon_razz

*comedy ensues*
"Did you get the New iPhone?"
"No, I got the Next iPhone!"
"What?"
"Yeah, the New iPhone is actually called the NextTM iPhone!"
"Well then what's the next Iphone after that?"
"That's the Next New NextTM iPhone!"
"#$#@$@#$!!!!"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:08:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: August 02, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 02, 2012, 02:04:11 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 02, 2012, 06:07:17 AM

So why exactly is Apple so terrified of memory cards anyway? What exactly is refusing to add a tiny memory card slot on iOS devices accomplishing, other than forcing app/photo/music hawgs like me to buy the more expensive 32GB and 64GB models of their devices? Macbooks have SDXC card slots afterall.

I love my two iOS products but the memory card slot phobia of theirs I still don't particularly understand. If it's that they don't want memory card slot makers to make money, why not just drive everybody nuts with an Apple-proprietary memory card design, and then add a slot for that?

*Probably, someone asked this 100 times already. Apologies if it was already explained. I just don't buy "design philosophy" as a good reason not to include the slot. If it's just sheer greed, well, hey, I'd understand that even if I didn't agree.  icon_smile If it's more that I would have performance issues accessing stuff off the memory card, something like that, then I'd understand. I never see it explained in technical terms, it's just "Apple doesn't do things like that."  confused

Well, I don't work for Apple but I do make product decisions like this for a living and I've known quite a few Apple product guys, so I'll do my best to explain this philosophy as I understand it.

There are a number of factors here.  First and foremost, Apple believes that their users don't really know what they want.  They tell their users want they want.  This is a Steve Jobs thing.  How that applies in this scenario is that Apple believes that their users do not want or need to understand this concept of 'flash memory'.  Their users don't understand the difference between CF, MS, or SD.  Or the subsets of Mini or Micro SD.  They don't know what Type I, II, or III memory is.  This is all abstract to the Apple user.  Apple wants it this way and they believe their users want it this way.

This leads to another fundamental Apple design philosophy - don't let another company/product affect your user experience if you can help it.  When it comes to memory, Apple's nightmare is that a user buys a cheap/shitty memory card, has a negative experience (losing data, slow transfer speeds, etc...), and then says 'the iPhone sucks.'  Apple believes that by controlling every possible thing they can, they can control as much of the user experience as possible and make it a positive one.  This is why Apple does end to end delivery whenever possible - they want you to experience exactly what they designed with as few variables as possible.

Lastly, Apple believes that the cloud is the future anyway, so don't expect larger memory devices anytime soon.

This of course leads to the almighty profit margin.  Apple's belief is that users buy their products and pay a premium for their products because their entire end to end user experience is superior to their competitors.  Memory cards would lower that end to end experience, and Apple thinks providing them will cost more users than it would gain.  I actually think that is more important to them than the extra profit they garner from being the sole way to get larger memory on their devices.

And right now, you can't really question anything Apple does with the iPhone and iPad strategies.  They are absolutely crushing it.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 06, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »

Only two things make me regret owning an iPhone.

iTunes
Lame ass lawsuit against Samsung

Other than that I've enjoyed my 4s (bought in April, switched from Android).

I do think I'll go back to Android in a year or so, depending upon Sprints rollout of LTE.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 06, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »

Based on what I read above, and all the knowledge on the internet that is available, and how I agree with alot from all sides of this tale, I love my apple products!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 04, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/04/apple-announces-special-event-for-september-12/

Sure looks like a "5" to me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 04, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »

they have to have a pretty big 'new shiney' to kill my wanting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  it's possible, but I really like the idea of a bigger screen.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 04, 2012, 05:24:43 PM

It's true, the new name will be the ...

5Phone
followed with next month's announcement of the ...
5Pad Mini

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »

Sources: Apple to be sole maker of Dock Connector Adapters
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/sources-apple-to-be-sole-maker-of-dock-connector-adapters/
One source notes that Apple will reap a windfall by limiting competition in this manner, generating revenues of $100 million for every 10 million Dock Connector Adapters it sells for $10. According to the source, Apple estimates that it will sell the first 10 million Adapters by the end of 2012.
I wonder if the Sept. 12 keynote will focus on it...

9-pin, orientation-independent connector! Free your connector pins from the horrors of orientation!*

*If you want to give us some pocket change for adapters, that's OK too!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 05, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »

I think I'll just stick with my iPhone 4 which is out of contract in Dec and switch mine and my wifes 3gs to straightalk and the kids non smartphones to tmobile, pay $30 less a month and have unlimited text / minutes / data (except kids who dont use data). The kids had been wanting smartphones and I had thought about handing down mine and the wifes and getting us new ones until I saw the pricing on the ATT shared plans... What a f'n rip off.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 05, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 06, 2012, 02:15:04 AM

Lame ass lawsuit against Samsung

Not sure what's "lame ass" about it.  There's patent infringement, and then there's just blatant copying/stealing.  In this case it was pretty much obviously the latter, and the jury all agreed to punish Samsung.  What I find lame is a lot of the attitudes that the Apple design is obvious, or things like rows of square icons, pinch to zoom or slide to unlock are just natural phenomena - and so they should be rightfully copied.  It's easy to think these things are obvious now that they've essentially permeated our brains over the past 5 years, but don't forget before the iPhone was announced, cutting edge phone tech and touch screen interfaces were using horrible stylus controls and other ridiculously unresponsive touch schemes.  Apple spent years researching and testing everything before they released, and certainly earned the right to protect their IP.

- - -

Now regarding the iPhone 5, I have to say thus far I am completely unimpressed.  A tiny length increase on the screen?  Yawn.  A stupid new connection on the bottom so I can no longer use any of my accessories with the original port?  Irritating.  So WTF is going to set iPhone 5 apart? 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »

I'm a year in on my 4S, so I'm sure I'll be able to purchase knock-off connectors from Honk Kong by the time 6 rolls around.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:49 AM »

I agree with rittchard, it does seem very underwhelming. With that said, I want one.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »

yeah, I'm not impressed with what I am seeing from the iPhone 5, but I reserve judgement till next week.  I want a bigger screen and the version I am seeing just don't do it for me.  If the screen isn't a significant upgrade I will be jumping off the apple bandwagon

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 06, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

If you're hoping to put your iPhone 5 in a woody (no, not that kind of woody smirk), Grove hopes to launch theirs in early October once it has a production model in hand to finalize its design:
http://www.grovemade.com/product/iphone-5-case/

*I guess I'd worry bamboo would be a bit slippery but it's certainly distinctive, and it's cool it's U.S. made.

As for the iPhone 5, probably tech pundits and gadget freaks will decry it as underwhelming and disappointing and unimpressive (as they do with everything Apple has ever released -- you can probably go back to the initial iPhone release and find a lot of harumphing about the absence of a keyboard, the merits of touchscreen etc.). Which may well be true, and it'll sell a zillion anyway.

I love my iOS products (latest iPad and Touch; still never owned a smartphone), but I really believe there's danger -- not now, maybe in a few years from now? -- in stagnation, incremental upgrades and being unwilling to try to create the Next Big Thing. It's not specific to cellphones. We've all seen it happen in the videogame console industry, or in certain gaming genres, maybe in automobiles.

It's just, if the masses buy millions of your incrementally upgraded product every year or so, why sweat it? Why try to ever do something different? I'm no master futurist, I'd just like to think a 2007 phone design won't effectively be the permanent end-all of the cellphone industry.

And yet maybe, I'll get an iPhone 5.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:29:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

I think we're at the point where hardware is going to be subject to the law of diminishing returns and become just about incremental upgrades. The current design and the pending upgrades are pretty solid, and I would hope we wouldn't see change for the sake of change. Where the most innovation can occur is the software and OS. I have a feeling we're going to continue to see larger evolutionary leaps there.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 06, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 06, 2012, 04:06:24 PM

I think we're at the point where hardware is going to be subject to the law of diminishing returns and become just about incremental upgrades. The current design and the pending upgrades are pretty solid, and I would hope we wouldn't see change for the sake of change. Where the most innovation can occur is the software and OS. I have a feeling we're going to continue to see larger evolutionary leaps there.

Yeah I got the 4S because it was a better 4 and the 4 was the best gadget I've ever owned.  I guess this is a better 4S now.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: