http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:50:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk Iphone  (Read 61887 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2009, 08:58:27 PM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 18, 2009, 08:39:37 PM

Now, the one time I accidentally threw the phone out of the window of a moving car (though not moving very fast), it did break -- the screen was fine, the body seemed fine, but the phone constantly malfunctioned. Fortunately, Apple replaced it for me.
I would love to a see a video of your facial expression when that occurred, maybe in slow motion?  eek icon_smile And explaining it to Apple. "Well, see, I mistakenly thought my Iphone was a Wii controller and that's when I..."   smirk

I wasn't really all that angry or anything, I was trying to switch songs or something while simultaneously motioning to someone out the window and.... away it went. It was a residential street and I was able to stop immediately and jump out and grab it, but it was flaky from that point forward.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

I've had more klutzy moments with gizmos than anyone, so I just meant you might've had the look I sometimes have had of "OH JESUS!" Less anger than "What have I done??"  icon_smile

Hey, AppleInsider.com has a nice roundup (with links, pullquotes etc.) of some of the higher profile just-released reviews of the 3GS:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/17/review_roundup_apples_new_iphone_3g_s.html

All quite positive, though some suggest that 3G users may want to install the 3.0 upgrade first before deciding if they truly need the 3GS-exclusive improvements.

I've come closer to getting an iPod Touch (I'm a weirdo who uses his cellphone very little and I just can't justify a $70-$80 a month plan), I almost got one from a Macy's electronics kiosk machine a while back but I talked myself out of it. There just aren't enough devils on my shoulder telling me to do it.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:03:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »

To summarize a discussion that I had with a co-worker who just got a Pre as his first smart phone:

It's easy to look at it before you purchase a device and say that you don't need it.  It's another thing that after you see all that you can do with it, even after his week and a half, that you no longer want to live without it.  The maps, the GPS, the instant internet access, the quick little games, the reading material, all in the device that you'd be carrying as a phone anyway, makes it become, if not essential, then highly desired in a very short period of time.

Now I don't need a $200 GPS unit for my car.  I don't need a separate MP3 player.  I don't need a Nintendo DS or PSP.  I don't even need a laptop for entertainment purposes.  (If I travelled more for work, that would be a different story.)  I don't need to carry a book with me if I'm going to be stuck somewhere for a while.  I have all of this in something slightly bigger than my old flip phone. 

You say $70-80, but you're probably already paying half of that for your current phone service.  It's $30 for the data plan and $5 for my text 200.  I would be paying the $40 for the phone anyway. 

Last month, my bill showed my iPhone usage at 1.5 GB.  That usually includes 20-30 hours of Pandora usage during my work week.  I'm paying $1 a day for an average of 50 MB of data transfer.  To me, it is MORE than worth it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »

Hey, I finally figured out the cut & paste.

I like! icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

I semi-broke down and got a 16GB Ipod Touch 2G from a Macy's kiosk last night. I quite like it, though I wish I could find some less time consuming way to transfer contact info from my Palm. I'm nattering in one of the iPod Touch threads (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=32515.msg562010#new).

Was up all night fiddling with it, and I do l like it. I already bought one Contacts-improving app (which adds drag n' drop, category tabs), though I wish I could find one that lets you add some sort of note to contacts (in my Palm, I tended to add notes about birthdays, kids' birthdays, directions to a work address for a buddy etc.).

I haven't ruled out getting an iPhone, Pre, or something down the road, but I figure I'd like to see whether I like swiping (I do) instead of a stylus, and see if I can approximate the kind of basic stuff I do with my Palm before I commit to any long term contracts. A lot of Palm veteran users seem to have trouble switching to an iPhone or iPod touch just in terms of the PIM/agenda/scheduling kinda stuff (judging from a lot of sites/forums I visited/searched), but I'm combing through the app store for stuff to ease my transition.

Plus, I just had a gizmo itch I had to scratch.  icon_razz
====================
I installed the 3.0 this morning, went smoothly.

On the cut and paste... (for my own reminder  icon_smile)
http://www.macworld.com/article/139438/2009/03/iphone30user.html
Users can select text with a double-tap, which brings up a cut/copy/paste bubble.

Adjust the selection points—marked by two blue pins—by dragging your finger; when you’ve grabbed the text you want, tap on either the cut, copy, or paste button. Once you’ve copied text, you can paste it by double-tapping to again summon the cut/copy/paste bubble and adjusting the insertion points.

In iPhone 3.0, users will not only be able to copy and paste text, but also blocks of HTML and photos. You’ll also be able to copy and paste between applications—placing text from a Note in an e-mail, for example. As demonstrated Tuesday, the new cut, copy and paste features only work in Apple’s built-in applications, but developers will have the chance to add the functionality to their apps with the iPhone 3.0 Software Development Kit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:28:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »

Did it feel weird getting a 200something dollar thing from what amounts to a big glowy vending machine? Did it just drop it? Or was there a cool conveyor system thing. Did you have to open an anti arm flap thing to get to it?

Anyway what Isgrimnur said is pretty much right. Like the new Zune HD coming out looks really cool but I have no justification for it. I'll get full turn by turn directions by just getting the Tom Tom app whenever that comes out. It combines so many things into 1 thing that I have access to all the time. And if you just got the iPhone you would have all the contact stuff fixed instead of having to jump through apps.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »

It looks like the TomTom app may require a hardware purchase in the form of a car dock.

TomTom has made navigation available for your iPhone 3G. All you need is:

• the TomTom app including the latest maps (coming soon to the iTunes App Store)
  • the TomTom car kit that offers secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions and hands-free calling, while charging your iPhone at the same time.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »

I am posting this with my new 3GS. That is all smile

(the forums look really nice on it)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »

Are the forums formatted for iPhones?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »

No, it didn't feel funny buying it from a fancy vending machine. It felt cool. A graceful combination robotic arm and adjusting-angle conveyor mini-chute gently grasps the iPod Touch package, slides it gently down its chute, and then you just grab it, wait for a receipt and go. The chute is located to the side of the display windows (protected by a hinged door on the side, inside the unit, I think), so no, there's not much chance of sticking your arm in there and grasping something unless you're Reed Richards.  icon_razz

Have fun. I'm going to seek a board friendlier to iPod Touch fans.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:18:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 19, 2009, 06:08:24 PM

Safari on the iPhone displays the forums just like any other browser, with the exception that it increases the font size of the posts. Read in landscape orientation, it's extremely readable. And if you want it a little bigger, you can double tab and it will zoom on just the column containing posts (hiding the left column with usernames and avatars). 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 19, 2009, 06:36:14 PM

Quote from: Devil on June 19, 2009, 06:08:24 PM

Safari on the iPhone displays the forums just like any other browser, with the exception that it increases the font size of the posts. Read in landscape orientation, it's extremely readable. And if you want it a little bigger, you can double tab and it will zoom on just the column containing posts (hiding the left column with usernames and avatars). 

That was my way of requesting the forums to be formatted for iPhone.

Cheapass Gamer's forums are what I'm looking for over here...   slywink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 19, 2009, 05:39:45 PM

Me too!  took a while to get synced and activated but all in the comfort of my own home instead of hours in a long line smile. Definite speed improvements. Browsing on wifi is getting close to my PC.

Still have to try cut and paste.   cut and paste. Ahhhhh very nice!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 19, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 19, 2009, 05:39:45 PM

Me too!  took a while to get synced and activated but all in the comfort of my own home instead of hours in a long line smile. Definite speed improvements. Browsing on wifi is getting close to my PC.

Still have to try cut and paste.   cut and paste. Ahhhhh very nice!

I've found just the 3G browsing to be really fast. My Treo 750w had HSDPA and it rendered at a snail's pace compared to this (not to mention sites are a whole lot easier to read on the iPhone).

We didn't experience any lines this morning. Probably helped that 1) we chose to preorder at an ATT store that is kind of tucked away in the burbs, although conveniently next to our house and 2) it was raining. A guy who hadn't preordered came in 5 minutes before he was even supposed to and there was an open rep to help him.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 18, 2009, 08:37:51 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 18, 2009, 08:26:50 PM

It's $60 with any other PDA with a 5 GB limit.  That would be cheaper than doing it with a Palm or HTC device.

What were you expecting?

From what they're saying, I read that it's $55 for the tethering only, making it $85 for data and tethering...that's the WTF...

on other phones it's $65 for both...at least on AT&T

AT&T Squashes Tethering Surcharge Rumors

Rumors suggesting that AT&T will surcharge its users $55 to activate the tethering capability are wrong, according to AT&T.
"There are a lot of reports out there, but wanted you guys to know that rumors of $55 tethering plan on top of an unlimited data plan are false. We'll have more news to share when the iPhone tethering option is closer to launch," reads a statement on the company's Facebook page.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »

Humm.

I upgraded to the new 3.0 software a day or so ago and now my reception is shaky. I'm getting less bars at home, little to no reception in my basement (was okay before upgrading), and I just had a dropped call (first from home in months).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »

maybe I'll wait until the iPhone 4G is out, even though enough people complained so AT&T would give me a 3G S 32 gig for $299 instead of $599.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2009, 06:06:52 AM »

Traditional Apple-fan unboxing pics of my new iPhone 3GS.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 18, 2009, 08:26:50 PM

It's $60 with any other PDA with a 5 GB limit.  That would be cheaper than doing it with a Palm or HTC device.

What were you expecting?

Actually, with anything Windows Mobile based (or most Blackberries I hear), tethering is absolutely free (or completely violates your Terms of Service). For tethering though, keep in mind that the programs for Windows Mobile at least are pretty foolproof - all your provider sees is data being transmitted to the phone. They don't have a way (short of you torrenting or something) to know what you're doing with that data.

But yes, most tethering 'plans' give you only 5GB a month and that's it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 18, 2009, 08:19:55 PM

Wow, $55/month for tethering?  WTF AT&T???

Geek.com
Jailbreak a 3G and there's an app for that. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »

I wrote up first impressions/comments up on my blog if you are interested, kind of wordy as usual smile

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2009/06/21/another-year-another-iphone-3gs/

I'm also trying out that Nextworth website to sell off the 3G, will keep you posted on how that goes.  The initial setup is seamless, they even generate a postal label for you so shipping is free!  Quote for "like new" condition is $250, it drops to $216 for "normal".  They also ask for accessories but really don't give you much of anything, so unless you were going to throw them away there's no point to including them.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »

Thought I'd mention this here in case anyone else ran into the problem. I upgraded from a 1st gen iPhone to a 3GS and while I could connect to my home network (Airport Express), I was unable to load webpages or get on the app store. Switching the security on the Airport from WEP to WPA has fixed this issue for me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:03 AM »

That was probably for the better anyway, wasn't WEP the older standard that was thoroughly hacked?  Really only there as a legacy format for things like the DS lite.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson:  AT&T won't always be the exclusive provider of Apple's iPhone

Speaking at Fortune's Brainstorm: Tech conference Thursday, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said it is not realistic to expect the company to be the sole iPhone provider forever.
Stephenson did not go into details about negotiations with Apple, but he said he's pleased with the agreement so far.

"On balance, I think it works really, really well -- maybe as well as any strategic partnership we have," Stephenson said of the deal with Apple.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »

The iPhone is so last year, now it's time for iTablet!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/24/apples_much_anticipated_tablet_device_coming_early_next_year.html
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2009, 06:36:19 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 24, 2009, 06:27:13 PM

I'm envisioning some kind of barrel spinning up when you power on the screen so that the tablet can chew through a stack of batteries at a higher rate without overheating the compartment.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »

Just an FYI, AT&T finally allowed Slingplayer Mobile to work through the 3G network and the new App for it was released yesterday.  Works incredibly well, assuming you have a really good 3G connection.  Oddly enough, it works far better here at work than it did at home. 

Down side is the price is still at $30.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 16, 2010, 07:26:43 PM

Just an FYI, AT&T finally allowed Slingplayer Mobile to work through the 3G network and the new App for it was released yesterday.  Works incredibly well, assuming you have a really good 3G connection.  Oddly enough, it works far better here at work than it did at home. 

Down side is the price is still at $30.

The other downside is that Sling would only allow you to use it with their newer slingboxes...leaving those of us with the older version stuck.  It sucks when their "beta" software worked just fine with the older slingboxes, but then when they finally released it must be the newer slingboxes.  So not only am I not going to support them by buying a new box, but see no reason to pay $30 for the player software as well - and have been looking to move on to a different streaming system/software.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »

iPhone HD coming in June?  Also Verizon rumors continue....this from the WSJ...

I want an iPhone on Verizon, but if it's just the 3GS then I'm jumping to ATT.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/wsj-apple-developing-new-iphone-plus-another-for-verizon/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »

front facing camera.. that would make taking pictures a pain.

[edit] they left out the key word 'double' when mentioning the camera.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:42:24 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2010, 01:43:30 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 30, 2010, 01:36:33 AM

but if it's just the 3GS then I'm jumping to ATT.

DON'T DO IT.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »

d'oh!  wasn't paying attention when I hooked my iPhone up to my new PC and it erased everything; now it's got to copy all the songs back over and I have to grab all the free apps I had again.

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »

iPhone HD coming in June?  Also Verizon rumors continue....this from the WSJ...

I want an iPhone on Verizon, but if it's just the 3GS then I'm jumping to ATT.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/wsj-apple-developing-new-iphone-plus-another-for-verizon/

As gellar stated, it is not a good idea to go to ATT.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 30, 2010, 01:43:30 AM

but if it's just the 3GS then I'm jumping to ATT.

DON'T DO IT.

gellar even with the supposed improvements in the bay area, you still have bad service?  Is it only while in SF or all over?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »

Apple is holding an event this week, April 8th, to announce the new iPhone 4.0 OS:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/apple-holding-iphone-os-4-event-april-8th/
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 05, 2010, 04:36:05 PM

Apple is holding an event this week, April 8th, to announce the new iPhone 4.0 OS:

Well that was unexpected.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2010, 04:54:30 PM

Well that was unexpected.

I know it's early for it (usually happens in June IIRC) but I'm kinda hoping they also announce the next iPhone there too.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »

Boner!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2010, 04:59:22 PM

Boner!!!!

TMI

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

They will have to do something magical to keep me from strongly considering switching to a Win7Mobile phone in the fall when my contract's up.

And it'll probably have to be actual magic, not ipad magic.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: