http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:26:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legosi, Karloff, Chaney, Price, Lee... did I leave anyone out?  (Read 314 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »

I'm watching a PBS special on Bela Lugosi, have seen the one on Karloff, and am familiar with the other actors from the same source or various films.  It got me thinking that a ton of folks here probably have a favorite "early" horror actor.  I'm sure that most GTers know more than I do about each individual, and might be in the mood to share., soooo....

Talk amongst yourselves, de-railing would be hard to do:  topic is open to historical, stage, film, personal, movie making, political, and anything else that even vaguely pertains:

One-two-three - GO!

icon_twisted

PS - in this special, I learned that Lugosi was addicted to morphine near the end, and had a short revival of his career with Edward Wood of all poeple.  He was the first American film star to admit that he was addicted to drugs, btw.  Amazing... and he died in 1956, practically the Dark Ages for that sort of admission.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »

Karloff? Sidekick?  (nsfw language smile )  This footage is from Ed Wood, which is a great movie that features quite a bit of Legosi towards the end of his career as you say.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »

Vincent Price. Yeah he's a little later, and yeah he's a little campy, but he belongs on your list.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:42:14 AM »

left off John Caradine as well. I would say that Cushing and Lee are getting pretty modern. by that time you can start adding Jonathan Frid.

Also, are we talking Chaney Sr., Jr., or both?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:33 AM »

Oh, Geeze, I forgot about Junior!  At the time of the post, I meant The Man with 1,000 Faces, but you're right - they both qualify.  The only requirement to be on this list or in this thread is if the person is someone's favorite, and I guess "early-ish."  I think I didn't consider John Carridine because he had such a wide variety of roles... but the same could be said of Vincent Price, too.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 20, 2011, 08:54:19 PM

Karloff? Sidekick?  (nsfw language smile )  This footage is from Ed Wood, which is a great movie that features quite a bit of Legosi towards the end of his career as you say.

Engine, that was hysterical - I never would have recognized Landau in that if they didn't tell me.  It was perfect!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

IIRC, Legosi became addicted to morphine due to a back injury. Not that Lindsey Lohan hasn't spent a lot of time on her back, but I don't think that's why she's addicted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: