http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:59:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal advice needed - Landlord screwed us  (Read 377 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »

So I am not sure what action to take but we really need some help.  These last few weeks have been a total nightmare.  Here's the events:

So at the beginning of May, we find out that we need to move since the house we are renting is scheduled to be torn down and rebuilt.  It took us several attempts, but we finally find a place that we can afford and we ask to tour the place.  They show us unit B which is on the ground floor.  It is very nice inside with new paint and new bathroom fixtures.  So we submit our application to B and we are accepted.  We pay our first month's rent and security deposit.  This is a week before we need to move out. 

Fast forward to May 28th when we are told we would receive the key to start our move. The listing agent shows up and tells us that now we need to move to unit F and that B is no longer available.  We were totally shocked but at this point we have no choice since we need to be out by June 3rd.  The agent takes us up to F and the fist thing I notice is a musty, smokey smell.  I ask the agent if this is going to be cleaned and he said they would.  They also said that since it isn't ready yet, they would give us the key on May 31st.

So May 31st arrives, and we get the key and the place still stinks of smoke.  Apparently, the landlord's son lived here and smoked so much marijuana that he was admitted to rehab.  The landlord refuses to believe that there is any smell and reluctantly sent his handyman to steam clean the carpets twice.  The first cleaning was done before we moved in and like I stated, it still smelled.  We had to complete our move by June 3rd, so we had no chance to do anything but move.  The next weekend, June 8 - 9, I bought two boxes of baking soda carpet cleaner to try to get rid of the stink.  For the most part it seemed to help but there was a little smell left.  The second cleaning came yesterday and now the place stinks just like we first moved in.  icon_rolleyes

To make matters worse, we just found out that the people who moved into B actually applied to F and we have the documents to prove it.  So the landlord screwed us with the bait and switch.  If we didn't have the time constraint, we would have looked for another place but we are stuck.  Also, my bed is ruined since it sits on the floor and absorbed the smoke stink.  What legal action can we take?  I hope we can sue this guy...
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

Rental law varies from state to state, so I would suggest consulting a lawyer in your state, but you should be able to establish an escrow account where you're still paying rent monthly, but the Landlord couldn't touch it until the problems have been fixed.  Again, consult a lawyer from your state

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »

Yeah, I know we should get a lawyer, but I was hoping to hear what options I have available so I know what we are getting into before we contact a lawyer.  BTW, I live in California.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »

I think that the laws vary so much, that it is best to just talk to a lawyer.. You may be able to get someone to do a free consult even.  Also, and again, it depends on the lawyer, your paperwork for unit B may be a legal contract, that the landlord has now violated..
I would also suggest talking to your lawyer about what options you have if you do want to move to a completely different place, since it probably wouldn't be worth it to sue the landlord and then stay on the property.
I think that many states have laws that protect the tenant more than the landlord.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:14:39 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2013, 01:48:17 AM

You may be able to get someone to do a free consult even. 

Find out if your city or county has a tenant's resource center. Typically these nonprofit citizens action groups will offer general advice and point you to professional services if appropriate.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice all.  I called a couple of tenant attorneys to try to get a free consultation but they were closed for the day.  I'll have to try again tomorrow.

On a side note, we called a professional cleaning company and when the guys came out, they instantly recognized the smell as cat urine.  That's great since I have cat allergies.  I was wondering why my eyes were itchy and my nose was so stuffy.  Now I know...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:24:17 AM »

They can kill the ammonia smell by soaking it with enzymes, but even then it will take time to fade -- the enzyme solution isn't odorless, although it's less objectionable that cat piss. Last time I had to deal with that problem (in a mattress) it took months.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: