http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEDs too bright at night, and using blackout tape  (Read 443 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:08:10 AM »

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue with modern electronics.

I'm somewhat sensitive to light when trying to sleep. Unfortunately, so many electronics these days have tiny LEDs that seem normal during the day, but are almost flashlights in the dark of late night. This is especially true of those horrific blue LEDs.

So, I've taken to shutting things off completely, or for the things that I can't/won't shut off I apply some black tape to the light and the problem is solved. This has helped my sleep immensely since I started doing this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:17:53 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you. Even a single LED can disrupt my sleep if it's bright enough. I haven't taken to taping over anything, but for the bright ones I'll point them away from the bed or toss something on top of them to cover it up.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:20:13 AM »

my wife is this way.  I grew up occasionally sleeping in a living room, so no light or noise bothers me now.

I did read that those little blue lights can actually make your sleep worse though, so I've taken to covering up as many as possible. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

Strange thing is, a nightlight won't bother me, it's more the intensity of these LEDs that get to me.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »

blue light is very disruptive to sleep, more so than other colors.  shame they are on everything now.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »

Ha, you guys would go nuts if you had to sleep where I do. Recently moved into a much smaller apartment than I had for quite awhile and had to put my 2 computer desks in the bedroom. It's quite a light show, with the modem, router, NAS, and various standby lights. The modem is the worse since it always has flashing lights going. Unless I tossing and turning it doesn't usually bother me. If it does, I arrange an office chair to block my direct eye site at the modem, but it still does a good job lighting up the wall next to it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »

There are these cool stickers now that are shaded but still see through, you can apply them to lights you want to dim, but not blackout.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

It amuses me that you guys have so many gadgets in your bedrooms that this is even an issue. I don't have any, although the entertainment center in the living room does put out a constant low glow so I can understand Lee's situation. In my office I just turn off the power strip at night -- maybe you could try that.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »

Quote from: Lee on March 29, 2014, 03:57:13 PM

Ha, you guys would go nuts if you had to sleep where I do. Recently moved into a much smaller apartment than I had for quite awhile and had to put my 2 computer desks in the bedroom. It's quite a light show, with the modem, router, NAS, and various standby lights. The modem is the worse since it always has flashing lights going. Unless I tossing and turning it doesn't usually bother me. If it does, I arrange an office chair to block my direct eye site at the modem, but it still does a good job lighting up the wall next to it.
if NAS is too bright, maybe you should have him go outside Tongue
Spoiler for Hiden:

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »

We bought a Vizio TV for our bedroom.  On the showroom it looked good and I didn't think about the Vizio logo below the screen that lit up, sort of like the Apple logo on a laptop.  It wasn't very bright, but it was there.  When I got home I discovered that the logo changed to an amber light when the TV was turned off, so this damned logo was going to be lit no matter what.  Luckily it's not too bright and since it's at the foot of the bed I don't notice it. 

My Dell laptop power cord has a very bright blue LED where it connects to the laptop.  When my desk was in my bedroom I had to cover that up.  Very distracting when you're trying to sleep. 

Blue LEDs are the absolute worst.  Hate them.  HATE.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »

And ironically, the blue LEDs are the trickiest and most expensive ones to produce.  I had a family member who used to work as an optoelectronics engineer and back in the late 80s they didn't even think blue LEDs would be possible.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

I don't have this problem in my bedroom, but I don't understand why companies think they need to put lights on things to tell they are turned off.  It's like the Everything Is OK alarm or something.  I know you're not on, TV, I fucking turned you off.  Thanks for the big bright red reminder light, though.    icon_mad

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 06:34:45 AM »

Quote from: Lee on March 29, 2014, 03:57:13 PM

Trippy! Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: