http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 03:49:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to drink coffee  (Read 2235 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »

Okay - it's been nearly 20 years since I last tried coffee and I'm at a point of surrender.

Because of the sheer number of projects I have going on currently I need more caffeine, and I'm becoming aware that getting the amount of caffeine that I'm intaking through diet sodas can't be helping my health.

So I've decided that it's time to try to learn how to "like" coffee or a coffee like drink now.

I want to avoid anything bitter and also avoid going down the road of simply burying it in chocolate.

So one friend recommended that I go to Starbucks and try a "mocha", and I thought I might swing by Sonic later tonight and try one of those Java Chillers they've been advertising (the line 'candy in a cup' intrigues me).

Any other suggestions? Or advice on how to get past the nastiness to where you like the flavor of coffee?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »

Try a Cappucino. They're not as harsh as the straight coffees since they're half-brewed with steamed milk. Just add a bit of sugar and you're good to go.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »

one of my dad's "coffee snob" friends very much disliked mcD's iced mochas, so that tells me that it's probably pretty tame compared to the main line stuff.  may be a good starting point for you. 

latte>cappuccino>mocha  from hardest to softest.  avoid americano at first. 

oh, best thing is that coffee is one of those things where price-quality is very noticeable.  don't start with the super cheap stuff or it will probably kill your motivation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:24:30 AM by Caine » Logged

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »

Being a shift worker I'm a regular caffeine consumer.  While I agree that coffee is probably better then pop, lots of coffee isn't great for you either.  And if you get into a habit of buying fancy coffees at Starbucks etc., your habit can get quite expensive.  Just a suggestion, but a strong cup of tea can have just as much caffeine in it as coffee, and some teas are actually healthy.  I'm really trying to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink because lately it has gotten to the point where I need two or three cups to make it through a night shift, and I feel like crap by morning.  Tea helps me stay awake, and tends not to be as rough on my digestive system.

16-bit and loving it!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:13:34 AM »

Why do you think coffee would be better for you than diet soda?

If you really need caffeine, there are other ways to get it into your system than those two options.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 08, 2008, 01:13:34 AM

If you really need caffeine, there are other ways to get it into your system than those two options.

I'm gonna differ with you on that one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/

I love coffee. My suggestion. Buy folgers or maxwell house and start drinking it. Don't mess with the $5/cup starbucks foo-foo nonsense. you can get flavored varieties if you just can't take it straight up, but I'd suggest just sticking with the basic stuff with a small amount of creamer, and as little sugar as you take.

Eventually you will love the flavor of coffee itself, it does grow on you.

I don't recommend drinking it within 5 or 6 hours of bedtime however. Coffee is very high in caffeine (typically blows away any soda in that area). Both maxwell house and folgers make a 1/2 caffeine variety if the jitters are too much for ya.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »

I hate coffee..I love the McD's chilled coffee

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »

I have loved coffee since i was a small child, so I'm a stranger to candied coffee drinks. Be sure to watch the calorie counts if your weight's a concern. Many of those fatty, sugary concoctions top 500 calories. I recently read that the worst drink choice at Starbucks comes in with more calories than a Big Mac and fries. Pure coffee, of course, has none.

Health news about coffee is a roller coaster. Lately, it's up again. Here's a decent summary of some recent studies:
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

For the lazy:

Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.

(...)

"Overall, the research shows that coffee is far more healthful than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, research scientist at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own medical research and tracks coffee studies from around the world. "For most people, very little bad comes from drinking it, but a lot of good."

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

You will be hard-pressed to find comparable good news about colas.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 02:00:06 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 08, 2008, 01:56:21 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on July 08, 2008, 01:13:34 AM

I'm gonna differ with you on that one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/

I love coffee. My suggestion. Buy folgers or maxwell house and start drinking it. Don't mess with the $5/cup starbucks foo-foo nonsense. you can get flavored varieties if you just can't take it straight up, but I'd suggest just sticking with the basic stuff with a small amount of creamer, and as little sugar as you take.

Eventually you will love the flavor of coffee itself, it does grow on you.

I don't recommend drinking it within 5 or 6 hours of bedtime however. Coffee is very high in caffeine (typically blows away any soda in that area). Both maxwell house and folgers make a 1/2 caffeine variety if the jitters are too much for ya.

If you are drinking black coffee that's a legitimate point to make.  But if, like most people, you add cream, sugar, or go for a Starbucks style "coffee" the negatives pile up over and drown any positives the simple brewed product might have.  The "mocha" and "java chiller" drinks likely are full of less than healthy ingredients.

- American Dad
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »

I'd try a latte.  MmMMMM good.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:13:11 AM »

Coffee isn't that good for you either. I thought one of the best ways to gain energy and stay awake was to work out and get your heart going. Also helps with stress and lets you think about the projects you need to do and focus better. Than sitting there milking coffee that gives you horrible breath and makes your teeth brown which ultimately turns cold and shitty. But that's just me.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:14:42 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 08, 2008, 02:00:06 AM

If you are drinking black coffee that's a legitimate point to make.  But if, like most people, you add cream, sugar, or go for a Starbucks style "coffee" the negatives pile up over and drown any positives the simple brewed product might have.  The "mocha" and "java chiller" drinks likely are full of less than healthy ingredients.

Starbucks-style drinks with whole milk, whipped cream, syrups, and whatever else....yes, those are awful.

But plain brewed coffee with a splash of skim milk and a teaspoon or less of sugar is just fine.

Don't lump the guilty in with the innocent!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 02:29:53 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 08, 2008, 02:13:11 AM

Coffee isn't that good for you either.

My last post begs to disagree.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 02:43:27 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 08, 2008, 02:29:53 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on July 08, 2008, 02:13:11 AM

Coffee isn't that good for you either.

My last post begs to disagree.

Than sitting there milking coffee that gives you horrible breath and makes your teeth brown which ultimately turns cold and shitty. But that's just me.

Meant in that sense, I'm sure there are tons of studies that say coffee is good for you in some ways. But in the end I hate how it tastes, don't like how it makes peoples breath smell like it's coming out of a sewer and most of the time people dump so much shit in it that negates whatever effects it does have. That and the constant ups and downs of caffeine gets tiring to the point that you become addicted to it and and need it to stay awake at all.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 08, 2008, 02:14:42 AM

Starbucks-style drinks with whole milk, whipped cream, syrups, and whatever else....yes, those are awful.

But plain brewed coffee with a splash of skim milk and a teaspoon or less of sugar is just fine.

Yep. I think what a lot of people are describing isn't really coffee. What they're describing that's so good is really just cream & sugar. Coffee is kind of an afterthought.

The OP wanted to learn to drink coffee. Coffee is a bean, crushed up with water poured over it. If you want something like others have described, I recommend a milkshake. If you just want to stay awake or alert, there are caffeine pills, no coffee required.

Coffee itself has a wonderful flavor, once you acquire it. Cream, sugar, 'mocha', latte and all that other stuff, is to me like putting heinz 57 sauce on a good steak  Tongue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:51 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander
Meant in that sense, I'm sure there are tons of studies that say coffee is good for you in some ways. But in the end I hate how it tastes, don't like how it makes peoples breath smell like it's coming out of a sewer and most of the time people dump so much shit in it that negates whatever effects it does have. That and the constant ups and downs of caffeine gets tiring to the point that you become addicted to it and and need it to stay awake at all.

Sounds like someone lost a family member after an unfortunate incident at the coffehouse.  icon_razz Seriously, have you stopped to think that there are worse habits? Smoking, for example.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 03:28:17 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 08, 2008, 02:50:00 AM

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 08, 2008, 02:14:42 AM

Yep. I think what a lot of people are describing isn't really coffee. What they're describing that's so good is really just cream & sugar. Coffee is kind of an afterthought.

The OP wanted to learn to drink coffee. Coffee is a bean, crushed up with water poured over it. If you want something like others have described, I recommend a milkshake. If you just want to stay awake or alert, there are caffeine pills, no coffee required.

Coffee itself has a wonderful flavor, once you acquire it. Cream, sugar, 'mocha', latte and all that other stuff, is to me like putting heinz 57 sauce on a good steak  Tongue

That's fine, but read the post again.  He's the one that brought up "mocha" and "java chiller."  I'm just responding to his idea of what coffee is, and most of the posts after his also subscribed to the Starbucks style stuff as being "coffee."   Those are all worse for you than diet soda.

I guess we can all agree that if the OP wants to drink black coffee with a minimal amount of other stuff added, he'll come out ahead.  If he wants to comsume products in the wider definition of "coffee drinks," then he might as well continue to pound the diet Pepsi.

- American Dad
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:43:37 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 08, 2008, 02:59:51 AM

Quote from: SkyLander

Sounds like someone lost a family member after an unfortunate incident at the coffehouse.  icon_razz Seriously, have you stopped to think that there are worse habits? Smoking, for example.

And I would rant as much if he thought that would help him stay awake.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »

I have one of those Kcup thingies, but those can be expensive so here's what I do...

I use the Kcups when I want a Starbucks style flavored coffee, since they make those Kcups in all kinds of cool flavors(Timothy's German Chocolate Cake is my favorite, yes it tastes like chocolate cake in coffee- win/win!).

I use Nescafe Classico as my daily "cheap coffee for when I need a good jolt" drink.   It tastes decent and is pretty potent, and it's less expensive than Kcups.   I just add the coffee to the cup of perfectly heated water that comes out of my Keurig.

And yeah, coffee is an acquired taste.  You can only acquire it by drinking it(assuming we aren't talking highly flavored gimmick coffees).  So start drinking!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »

My suggestion to keep you going through the day is to exercise. After a good semi-intensive workout I usually feel very revitalized. Caffeine is way overrated and it provides diminishing energy returns. I see my parents wake up and have two cups of coffee in the morning, a few cups throughout the day, a few cups BEFORE they go to sleep, and I have wonder what the fuck is going on in their bodies. If I can't find the time to workout then I just drink half a cup of black coffee, at first it tasted nasty but the flavor grew on me and I avoid all the fatness of cream and sugar.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:03:33 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »

How about a vivarin? Or a half a vivarin? 

PS: My streak of not having coffee = my whole life span. I don't get the appeal...at all. blech.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »

I don't reccommend drinking coffee, like I wouldn't reccommend drinking beer or I wouldn't recommend smoking cigarettes or driving to relax or... It's a vice, a habit and not a good one.  Go get addicted to an eliptical to wake up or something.

That said, I'd imagine many people get into coffee by weakening it.  I still often drink my coffee with heavy cream and heavy sugar and I've been drinking coffee for over twenty five years.  Even then the nature of coffee it to be bitter.  Hating the bitter entirely, is hating coffee.  Finding the level of bitter that moves you is the goal.  Like it is with sour lemons or spicy hot or sugar concentrate.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

The best thing I did for my alertness and energy was cut out caffeine entirely.  It's rough going there for a while, but I think it works in the end... you feel better.

I drink a pretty good amount of decaf w/ a bit of cream and no sugar every morning, and then try to just drink a lot of water... and a lot of beer. Tongue
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »

I'm with those who appreciate black coffee.  I'm not much of a fan of sweet things.  I really enjoy a good, high quality cup of flavorful coffee that hasn't been ruined and diluted with sugar and cream.  Although even if it's bad coffee, such as the swill they have in my office, I still won't put anything in it.  

But there was a time when I did load up my coffee with extra cream and sugar and I had to force myself to learn to drink it black.  I first started by not using any sugar, only cream, and then over time I eliminated the cream.  But what helped the most was learning about good coffee.  Starbuck's is crap.  The beans are over-roasted so that they last longer and the flavors muddle into what I would describe as "burned."  I always grind my own coffee, and when in a pinch I'll pick up Peet's from my local grocery store, or sometimes I'll try something new from Trader Joe's.  But if I have the time (and money) I'll stop by a coffee shop in Scottsdale that roasts its own beans and imports them from all over the world.  I have yet to try one I didn't like.  

When you drink good coffee you don't need flavored creams, sugar, etc.  There's a reason they put all of that crap in Starbuck's coffee.  Although their holiday blend is kind of nice.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »

I went the other way... I only drank black coffee for 15+ years... then in the last 10 months or so when I switched to decaf I started adding cream... I think I require it to be somewhat bad for me on some  level or something.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »

Was going to try some coffee or technically one of the coffee like substances today but just found out that I'm not allowed to have caffeine for the rest of the day because of the heart test I have tomorrow morning.

Bastards.

Oh well - I think i'll be trying one of those sonic java chillers on the way home from the test (assuming they don't tell me I'm dying or something)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »

The good news keeps on coming

One of the largest studies ever conducted shows that coffee drinkers die at almost the same rates as their non-drinking peers. But, after controlling for the fact that coffee drinkers tend to exercise less and smoke more, coffee is linked to a slightly lower death rate in both men and women.

(...)

Overall, participants who downed a few cups of coffee a day had about the same death rate as those who didnít drink coffee, despite the fact that coffee drinkers tended to smoke more, drink more alcohol, not take vitamins and exercise less. All of those factors are linked to higher death rates.

After accounting for the caffeinated coffee drinkersí less healthy lifestyles, the researchers found that women drinking two to three cups a day had a 25 percent lower death rate from heart disease and an 18 percent lower risk of death from all causes compared with their equally unhealthy peers.

(...)

The findings suggest that coffee may reduce the risks of death in general, and may be especially good at combating heart disease.

The linked article also links to other stories about coffee's health benefits, including the heartening news that coffee might protect against cirrhosis of the liver.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »

I'm a coffee fiend.  Typically I drink two 24 oz cups in the morning and a pot at night.  The caffeine is nice too but I really just love the taste (I drink it strictly black with absolutely nothing added). 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2008, 04:04:22 PM

I'm a coffee fiend.  Typically I drink two 24 oz cups in the morning and a pot at night.  The caffeine is nice too but I really just love the taste (I drink it strictly black with absolutely nothing added). 

I always wondered how you could have a job and a family and yet complete games at the rate you do.  Sounds like what the OP needs is a good Japanese genki drink.  The come in small bottles and are full of caffeine and nicotine and other nasty stuff to wake you up.  If you believe the commercials you see over here then Japanese salary men can't live without them!

Either that or you need a redbull
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 08, 2008, 12:30:58 PM

How about a vivarin? Or a half a vivarin? 

PS: My streak of not having coffee = my whole life span. I don't get the appeal...at all. blech.

Great minds think alike obviously.  I have taken coffee when offered, just to be polite but if I had a choice I would never drink coffee (and usually never do).  It's amazing how most people have such a heavy addiction to it and then people like us are above that slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »

I actually can't handle Vivarin.  Or at least I couldn't the one time I tried it very early on in college.  Just made me feel awful.  Then again that was before I became a hardcore coffee drinker so I might be able to handle it better now. 

Quote from: Canuck on July 11, 2008, 04:10:58 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2008, 04:04:22 PM

I always wondered how you could have a job and a family and yet complete games at the rate you do.

Yeah, I generally don't get more than five hours of sleep a night during the work week.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »

Update:

I've had several Caramel Java Chillers since my original post and enjoyed them. Every now and then I'll get the strong bitter taste but it's quickly soothed by the Ice cream.

So this morning I needed to pick up some drive-thru for breakfast and thought i'd try a more normal coffee drink from there as well. So I'm having an Ice Coffee w/ mocha from Wendys this morning. My face winces every time I take a drink because it's a lot stronger of a taste, but I think that the Chillers have helped acclimate me to it a bit.  So I might need some more foo-foo coffee drinks before I'm ready for another one of these, but I'm making progress.

If I can learn to drink coffee then I could use that to help me kick my 6-7 can of diet soda's a day habit.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 07:37:58 PM »

Bah.

Go right into it (take coffee black) but go to a bean grinding place and ask for a coffee that's smooth with little aftertaste. Flavoured coffee beans can also help ease you into it; some are very nice despite odd combinations (Blueberry, for instance).

I tend to prefer medium-dark and more bold. I started off drinking sweetened milk with coffee (not actually a type of coffee, just a comment on the ratio).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »

I'll drink the odd cup of coffee when I don't get enough sleep for a few days in a row, though if you're finding yourself tired and worn out do you have the option to adjust your schedule for more sleep or exercise?  How about your diet?  Those are three things that can have a major effect on your overall energy level and your overall health.  Caffeine isn't really very good for you, though if you need it you're far better off getting it from coffee or tea (or some supplements) than soda.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 03:51:26 AM »

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: