http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning a new language - best method?  (Read 893 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »

I'm going to start learning Japanese - having gone through two years of German in high school, I'm aware of how focused and diligent one needs to be when learning a new language.  So I know that going into it halfway won't cut it.

My question is, what's the best way?  I looked into taking a class at one of the colleges around here, but the only times they offered it clashed with my work/personal schedule.

Does anyone have an experience with anything online?  Or with Rosetta Stone?  Or with a particular book/service?

Thanks!

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »

Pimsleur is the way to go.  It's expensive but very, very good.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »

I see a commercial for Rosetta Stone almost every day.  Their marketing slogan is "The #1 Language Learning Software."  It's at least worth a look.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »

Best and most effective: immersion

More practical: Pimsleur -- check your public library! They should have the basic audio courses. Rosetta -- well, it looks good - and I believe they give you a demo or sample lessons.  (When I used the Pimsleur tapes, I really used  'em: over and over and over until my responses (and it's not memorization but training so that you're instantly familiar with the words and not translating) were automatic. Sounds boring but if you're listening and doing other stuff, it's not so bad and it doesn't interfere with working out or driving or etc. I'd make my own copies of any CDs from the library 'cause you can't keep it long enough.)

I've seen some good "how to learn x language" type books in libraries; I'd scan those for tips but I admit they're often pretty standard "talk to a foreigner, listen to foreign radio or news" etc. but still...

Anyway I've used Pimsleur and immersion for French and Spanish (I lived in Mexico and traveled throughout S.A. for two years so immersion is the method that worked best for me).

Ultimately though it depends on your goal; whether conversational language skills, basic travel questions, or reading foreign language texts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:34:36 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

Interesting regarding Pimsleur...

It really seems like that would be sort of a starter program.  I would love to speak and learn how to write/read Japanese.  So maybe some Pimsleur, followed by a tutor or some sort of course in Japanese would be a nice combo?

TheMissingLink on PSN
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

A few co-workers of mine used Rosetta Stone for Spanish and really liked it. I've never used it personally, but most everything I've heard has been pretty positive.

I'll have to check to see if my library has Pimsleur - I've really wanted to get back into German (took 3 years in high school and one in college).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »

I'm reading a lot of reviews on Rocket Japanese, but they seem sort of spammy...

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »

I think Rosetta kind of uses the theory behind immersion to do their thing.  I took a lesson at a kiosk at an airport one time for the Japanese software and in a minute or so I knew quite a few words.  They basically use a picture of a woman, for instance, to teach you the word for woman.  There isn't anywhere where the word woman is written in English.  I imagine most of it is like that, where they don't give you any English.  Not sure if their version of software covers writing, though, as that is pretty complex.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

Any local classes in your area?  I took a semester of Japanese in college and found it very difficult.  I was never very good with languages though, and it didn't help that it was the final sememster of my senior year and I just needed the credits.  I remember getting the final exam and having absolutely no clue what to do with an entire page of questions.  Still have no idea what my grade in that class was smile
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 19, 2008, 05:18:10 PM

I see a commercial for Rosetta Stone almost every day.  Their marketing slogan is "The #1 Language Learning Software."  It's at least worth a look.

I think I have seen the Rosetta Stone commercial 100's of times, but then the other day they mentioned voice recognition. That seems new. I would be interested in trying it out to learn Spanish (almost a requirement here in Hell), but not sure I want to spend the money. If only my wife would let me have a Spanish-speaking girlfriend...  ninja

LiveTAG: happydog
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:29:25 PM »

Immersion is definitely the key. When learning Japanese I found it best to put myself in a Japanese woman.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 19, 2008, 08:27:55 PM

Any local classes in your area?  I took a semester of Japanese in college and found it very difficult.  I was never very good with languages though, and it didn't help that it was the final sememster of my senior year and I just needed the credits.  I remember getting the final exam and having absolutely no clue what to do with an entire page of questions.  Still have no idea what my grade in that class was smile

I haven't looked beyond local colleges, but their classes clash with my work/personal schedule.  Having a girlfriend that, during the academic year, lives 240 miles away, is not fun.  And I don't want to miss classes on Mondays/Fridays.

I think I'll look smaller, though, maybe community classes, or something.  As much as I think I can be patient and disciplined enough to sit down for an hour a day, I'd rather be taught by a person...

Although, I'm checking out Pimsleur at the library today (please have it!).

TheMissingLink on PSN
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Quote from: Crux on August 19, 2008, 10:29:25 PM

Immersion is definitely the key. When learning Japanese I found it best to put myself in a Japanese woman.

Funny, when I did that, I learned more of the Kama Sutra than the Japanese language. Tongue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »

Odd considering the Kama Sutra came out of india.  Or was she bi?

lingual
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »

Soooo, put a hold on the first 8 lessons of the Pimsleur Japanese course...hopefully that vagabond returns it in 2 days!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:03 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 19, 2008, 11:13:20 PM

Quote from: Crux on August 19, 2008, 10:29:25 PM

Funny, when I did that, I learned more of the Kama Sutra than the Japanese language. Tongue

The problem here is you have to take your dick out of her mouth sometimes.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 19, 2008, 11:27:49 PM

Soooo, put a hold on the first 8 lessons of the Pimsleur Japanese course...hopefully that vagabond returns it in 2 days!!

while you're waiting there's Mango.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 01:01:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2008, 12:50:44 AM

while you're waiting there's Mango.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »

As everyone says, immersion is key: the more of the language you get, the more quickly you'll learn.  Pimsleur was a great start for me, but definitely make alljapaneseallthetime.com your first stop for much better, more comprehensive and inspirational advice.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »

Thanks to going through my old posts I came across this link (thanks going to the "first post" post): http://www.japanesepod101.com/

LiveTAG: happydog
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 19, 2008, 04:57:48 PM

Pimsleur is the way to go.  It's expensive but very, very good.

+1 for Pimsleur. I've learned most of the Japanese I know through Pimsleur & www.JapanesePod101.com. My local library has Pimsleur - check yours! These methods are only for speaking it, though. As for writing it, good luck!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: