http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:57:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lasik surgery tomorrow  (Read 4786 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 03:49:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on October 17, 2006, 02:32:06 AM

KD, I had it done about 4 years ago.  Best $2k I ever spent.

Be prepared for everything to be almost impossible to focus on the day after tomorrow.  Stay home, don't bother going to work.  Don't even really try to watch TV.  Just rest as much as possible.  Your eyes have good vision by that point, but they're still learning to focus on objects.  Thursday AM, you'll love it.

Thats the plan.  My reviews for tomorrow go up tonight and I'm gone from the site, martial arts, and work for Wednesday.  Thursday I'll start to ease back into things. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 03:50:06 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 17, 2006, 02:44:03 AM

$$$$ does not always mean reputable, but I am sure he shopped around and this is a decision he is happy with.  That is what counts.

I did a lot of shopping around, but a big part of it was the fact that my mother had it done at this place as well and had fantastic results.  This doctor was pretty fantastic when I met him as well.  You also have to remember that the $$ I'm spending includes a lifetime warranty as well.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 03:50:36 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 17, 2006, 02:33:34 AM

Had about five or six people at our office go for it.  Turned out great in every instance, and everyone would do it again.  However, one guy tried to go the bargain route vs the established doctor, and ended up with bad halo problems.  I'm not entirely sure what the resolution was but he got it sorted out after another visit.  The point is, don't be afraid to spend the money to get someone reputable instead of a Dr. Nick type. 

I love Halo!  oh...you meant something else.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 03:51:08 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 17, 2006, 03:01:07 AM

GL with that. I hear its the first step in becoming a Borg  Tongue

My dad had it and my wife's dad had it. worked out great for both. I think I heard my wife's dad say that he had some night vision stuff ..the halo effect?..afterwards but nothing serious. Bet not having glasses will make you feel naked for a while.

Yea, I suspect I'll be trying to adjust them for a few days.  Phantom adjustments. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 03:52:17 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 17, 2006, 02:58:07 AM

Who knows if you'll see this, but......

My step-brother had his done about 5 years ago in Canada (that's where he lives) and he has absolutly no regrets and no lasting problems (just the halo thing for the first month or so(I don't see the problem. Halo was cool and I liked Halo 2 as well).

My brother had his done in Jersey about 3 years ago and same thing. Halo for a little while then everything was fine. He did say that he also had a "sand in the eyes" feeling for about 2 weeks. This would probably get on my nerves.

I really want it done, but cost is the main reason, the wife is the second. She thinks that they'll shoot my eye out or I'll be blind or something. I was thinking of seeing if they can do one at a time...just in case...

My brother did say that the procedure was quick, but felt weird.

As Kobra said above (although it isn't limited to elective surgery), there are risks.  I'm willing to accept them on the chance for life without glasses.  I've had enough. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »

It was the best $4500 (iirc) I ever spent. Wow... let me think, I was living in CT at the time so it must have been 6 years or so ago.  I woke up the next day and drove to my follow up appoinment.  After my appoinment I drove straight to a Sunglass Hut and bought a pair of Oakleys.   It's cool to reach for your glasses for a couple days, and if you find them, you put them on and everything is blurry. slywink 

The procedure itself wasn't too bad.  Mostly pressure, like they're pushing on your eye.  I think that was actually suction but I hadn't prior, nor since had a vacuum on my eyeball so I can't say for sure.  Welcome to the club!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 02:15:31 PM »

I have never had it done, but my Dad, ex-wife, both her Aunt and Mother and some friends all had this procedure done with few to no issues.
Sometimes you can get floaters in your eyes, but it goes away after awhile.

Good luck with the procedure, or actually I hope it went well.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 17, 2006, 01:59:20 AM

I would be afraid of moving my eyes when that "laser" is trying to shoot them. 
Most (all?) LASIK devices have an automatic stop if it detects any eye movement.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »

Good luck, man.  There's no in fuck I could do that - anything dealing with messing with eyes makes me squirm.

I watched a video of my Mother getting her procedure done and almost threw up.

GOOD LUCK!

TheMissingLink on PSN
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »

I wear tri-focals and wish I could afford it although I'm not sure it would work on my eyes.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Rest up plenty afterward.  thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:37 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 17, 2006, 04:01:12 PM

anything dealing with messing with eyes makes me squirm.

I watched a video of my Mother getting her procedure done and almost threw up.

GOOD LUCK!

Ditto. I'm very squeamish about eyes.  I wouldn't watch the vid of my moms and I requested that they not tell me anything specific about the procedure.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »

Bah Lasik is nothing, nothing I say!  Well compared to the two different surgeries I've had on my right eye.  Nothing like telling the wife about waking up as they put the final sitches into the eye (couldn't feel anything much, just a small tugging) as she hates eye stuff  eek .  I could feel them slide out when the doctor removed them, not too bad really but I was envious of the Lasik patients as they just got some drops and sat in a chair for a few minutes and didn't have sharp tweezers right next to their eye.  I'd do Lasik if I could but I have kerataconus (sp?) in that right eye (hence the surgery(s)) and am not a suitable case. Too bad too since my vision is horrible in both eyes.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 17, 2006, 07:50:55 PM

Bah Lasik is nothing, nothing I say!  Well compared to the two different surgeries I've had on my right eye.  Nothing like telling the wife about waking up as they put the final sitches into the eye (couldn't feel anything much, just a small tugging) as she hates eye stuff  eek .
At least you were asleep for your eye surgery!  My girlfriend had an iridectomy (hole punched in her iris), a vitrectomy (all the fluid in her eye replaced, and her lens replaced while under local anesthesia--she got to be awake for the whole thing.  The anesthesia is injected in the back of the socket, numbing the optic nerve so she sees pretty rainbows during the operation instead of seeing needles, tubes, and flashlights being inserted into her eyeball, but that probably doesn't rank very high on my list of surgeries I want to try out in my lifetime.

I'm probably not helping.

What was the surgery you needed eye stiches for?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 08:22:53 PM »

Anyone else not able to finish reading the previous two posts? I literally got lightheaded.   retard
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »

I reccommend getting gel eyedrops the first 2 weeks after the surgery.  They cost more but you use them less.

Instead of putting them in every 15 minutes, you'll can go 1-2 hours with gel.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2006, 08:57:15 PM »

Quote from: Bob on October 17, 2006, 08:38:40 PM

I reccommend getting gel eyedrops the first 2 weeks after the surgery.  They cost more but you use them less.

Instead of putting them in every 15 minutes, you'll can go 1-2 hours with gel.

Good point, when my son was recovering from SJS we got him those, he went from applying normal drops every hour, to applying the gel 4 times a day.  Huge difference.  They ARE expensive, Costco does have them in a 2 pack for only $5.99.. Rite Aid or places like that charge $10-12+ per bottle.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:50 PM »

DON'T DO IT MAN!!!

I HAD LASEEK, THEIR ALL LIKE OMG IM IN UR I TAKIN UR ISITE VISHUN!!!!!!

My left eye was replaced with a soft-boiled egg.
My right eyesight is all upside down. My couch is now turned over on stilts.
I can't drink anything while watching TV, it gets all my tacos soggy on the floor.
Oh, and after two weeks the egg went REALLY bad. I was crying green goop.
I cut the handle off a tablespoon and made an eyepatch.

I hates them, my precious. I hates them foreverz!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:31:34 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2006, 02:18:18 AM »

Good luck!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »

So how did it go?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »

He's probably still groggy from teh drugz and a good night sleep. Prior to posting, he'll probably have his follow up appointment.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 18, 2006, 12:43:48 PM

So how did it go?

Oooohkay, that was some freaky shit.   The doctor warned me that, because my vision is pretty good to begin with and that my biggest issue is the astigmatism, I'll probably come out of it with worse vision for about 2-3 days.  I got under the frickin' laser beam shooter.  Your head sits in a recessed 'cradle' of sorts but they don't clamp it in.  They cover the other eye with a disc to keep the lasers out of there.  They had already numbed my eye earlier, so now they simply got to work.  They used what could only be described as a dice rake that you might see in Vegas to wash my eye.  A few wipes over the lense and a few more drops, then we got down to business.  They have you look up and then they tape your bottom eyelid out of the way.  They have you look down and do the same for the top lid.  They then lower some sort of ring over your eyeball that looks like it has a slight film to it.  I *think* this is the laser that cuts away the flap so they can work.  They suction it to your eye, and you can no longer move even if you wanted to.  They put some more drops in and suddenly you are completely blind.  Your brain is on fire because you KNOW your eye is open, but you can't see anything.  After about 5 seconds you can start to see, but everything is a little blurry. There is some slight pressure and suddenly everything is REALLY blurry.  The only thing you can see are three lights in the periphiral of your vision and a red dot.  The red dot gets HUGE and you have to stare at it the whole time.  They put a few more drops in and then they fire the laser.  It looks like a rainbow of colors flashing and then the thing that they don't mention in there "here is what to expect" pamphlet happens - you can smell something burning, and you can be pretty sure its your eye.  The total time was 20 seconds of this flashing and burning for my right eye, and 30 seconds on the left.  Once they are done with the flashing they put the flap back on and things get a little more clear, but it looks like you are looking through one of those plastic see-through tarps that you might see at a construction site.  Everything just has a white film on it and your eye feels like somebody pushed on it.  It doesn't hurt, just a lot of pressure.  They then move the frickin' laser beam to your other eye and rinse/repeat. 

I got off the table and was really disoriented for a second.  I wouldn't call my vision sharp at this point by any stretch.  Any light source was a painful blur and I couldn't make out any details on anything.  They gave me a pair of sunglasses and sent me on my way.  Upon getting home (now I see why they tell you not to drive yourself home!) I put in my antibiotic drops.  They burned quite a bit, but after a second or two my eyes felt better.  Five minutes later I put in the steriods - those burned like a son of a bitch and made my vision milky and even worse.  Five minutes later I was able to put some natural tears in my eye and they felt immediately better and I could see slightly better than before I put the steroids in.  I put on the goggles and hit the rack for two hours.  I woke up and things were noticably more clear (after the round of drops again).  I did this all day yesterday, and about 9:00pm last night I was suddenly able to read fine print on the eyedrop bottle....at arms length!  I couldn't do that with glasses, and this is going to get even better?!  Sweet! 

I got up this morning and felt like I'd been in a full contact fight.  My eye sockets hurt and my eyes felt like I had sand in them.  Went through the round of drops again and they felt better, but every light source has a halo.  The doc (and many here) said that it'll improve over time.  I've got my follow-up at 11:15 this afternoon.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  Already I'm seeing drastic improvement to my vision.  The moments of pain and discomfort weren't too terrible.  What IS odd is how my brain is reacting.  My brain has asked me "Ron, where are your glasses?  You have a headache because you aren't wearing them..." and "Ron, adjust your glasses.  I can't see in here".  This morning I instinctively reached for my glasses, realizing shortly afterward that I don't have them anymore.  There are going to be some old habits that die hard. 

Thanks for all the well-wishing from you guys, and thanks to the staff for keeping the place running while I was away!   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

<shudder>

Good to hear everything went well.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position after reading your description of the surgery  eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2006, 03:13:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2006, 03:03:00 PM

<shudder>

Good to hear everything went well.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position after reading your description of the surgery  eek

WHAT HE SAID  :icon_eek: paranoid :icon_eek:
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2006, 03:24:09 PM »

<shudder>

No, that's pretty much what happens.  The eyeball burning smell got me nervous too. 

Actually, what he didn't tell you is that during some proceedures (both me and my Mom experienced this), you can lose all sight altogether.  That's right.  During my proceedure, I remember thinking "I'm completely blind, I can't see anything, even the red dot".  Then it came back after a few seconds. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2006, 03:24:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 18, 2006, 03:13:21 PM

<shudder>

WHAT HE SAID  :icon_eek: paranoid :icon_eek:

+infinity

Glad you came through everything alright man but sweet mercy I don't want to go through that. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2006, 03:25:58 PM »

Good impressions, keep em coming!

ninja2

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »

2 things...

1) My biggest fear is that I flinch and look away from the light. It's good to know that's not an option.
2) Not being able to see the knife and whatnot is probably better than being able to see it.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »

Cool- glad to hear your vision is better.  I am really happy that i have had 20/20 my entire life (all 21 yrs of it atleast) and have no need to smell my eyeball burning!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 18, 2006, 02:59:31 PM

[This morning I instinctively reached for my glasses, realizing shortly afterward that I don't have them anymore.  There are going to be some old habits that die hard. 

Good to hear it went well (though yeah, I don't think I could go through with that either).  You might be pushing your glasses up for a while -- I've mostly worn contacts for about 5 years now, and I still find myself trying to push my glasses up once a day!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 18, 2006, 03:35:02 PM

2 things...

1) My biggest fear is that I flinch and look away from the light. It's good to know that's not an option.
2) Not being able to see the knife and whatnot is probably better than being able to see it.

Trust me. you cannot move.  you're so focused on not moving that you don't move.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »

They put some more drops in and suddenly you are completely blind.  Your brain is on fire because you KNOW your eye is open, but you can't see anything.  After about 5 seconds you can start to see, but everything is a little blurry. There is some slight pressure and suddenly everything is REALLY blurry.

I mentioned that you go completely blind.  It is a sensation that I'll never forget, let me assure you.  I can see why they give people valum.  In retrospect, I might have taken them up on it.  If ever I need additional adjustments I'll be asking for the Valum up front.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2006, 05:09:54 PM »

<shudder>

Yeah, that's pretty much one of the big reasons why I haven't had this surgery done to me yet. I simply don't want to through the 'fun' of this.

And congratulations on the surgery. May everything be perfect from here on out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »

Now if they could only fix your face.  icon_twisted

Just' kiddin' buddy. Congrats on the eye adjustment! Glad they didn't have a power surge and accidentally take off the top of your skull or something. biggrin

You had the better procedure, btw. They still (in some places) use a blade to cut the flap. Also, a buddy of mine went through it before they cut the flap (they would just burn through that flap and then hope the scarring didn't mess up the results).

He said the smell is the worst part; it DOES smell like burning flesh or worse!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2006, 06:38:23 PM »

eek (about a billion times)
 saywhat (about a trillion times)

I'm keeping my glasses.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »

Glad to hear everything is ok oh and

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on October 18, 2006, 06:38:23 PM

eek (about a billion times)
 saywhat (about a trillion times)

I'm keeping my glasses.

It's very intense but not horrible.  If you have the op, 5 minutes of pain for a lifetime (God willing) without glasses is so worth it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 18, 2006, 06:40:24 PM

Glad to hear everything is ok oh and

Did you not click the spoiler tag on page 1?  It sounds like that picture wasn't far off   icon_smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »

To those of you who haven't had it done, I can tell you this.

It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't painful.  Just weirdly unpleasant for about 5-10 minutes and uncomfortable for that evening.  It cost me $2k and was the best money I ever spent.  Not having my glasses fog up on a cold morning, rubbing them to get rid of the raindrops, having peripheral vision, not needing to keep pushing them up while working out, not having the indentions from the nosepiece on 'em, being able to read the alarm clock time when waking up, not having to worry about them playing basketball, increased self-confidence from not being a 4-eyes, having people (women!!!) react differently to you because you're cuter and so forth has made it all very very very worthwhile.  I'd highly recommend it.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2006, 10:23:46 PM »

Congrats on your new peepers! Did they install the Six Million Dollar Man sound device that goes boop boop boop when you put your fingers to your temple and zoom in on distant women?  Tongue

Oh and if its the same way I saw on tv...when they put that ring thing on your eye a razorblade like thing slices across to make the flap not lasers...shiver.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:00:03 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: