http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Armstrong to be charged with doping by USADA  (Read 3986 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »

his teammate here admits to doping and that it was accepted on the team:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1268990--michael-barry-canadian-cyclist-admits-to-doping

I agree that there would be no 'hard evidance' showing results of tests - but the report does include testimony like I posted above and emails with statements etc.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2012, 05:06:41 PM

I mean his brand will be secure because no matter what happens, most people will still believe he didn't cheat.

There's enough doubt out there about the bias of the USADA that he'll pretty much remain with his good name, depending on how you see it.

Well you blew that. Nike has dropped him and he's booted as chairman from Livestrong.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »

It's funny how USADA is spinning this to make the cyclists the bad guys instead of condemning the sport itself.  Almost everybody was doping, so why go after Armstrong with such vitriol?  I say that as someone who is no fan of Armstrong.  I have yet to hear a single good thing about the guy from anybody who has met or dealt with him, but the amount of effort used to discredit him is insane.  Is USADA going to go after all the other cyclists who never tested negative with such force?  What a screwjob. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on October 17, 2012, 01:31:13 PM

It's funny how USADA is spinning this to make the cyclists the bad guys instead of condemning the sport itself.  Almost everybody was doping, so why go after Armstrong with such vitriol?  I say that as someone who is no fan of Armstrong.  I have yet to hear a single good thing about the guy from anybody who has met or dealt with him, but the amount of effort used to discredit him is insane.  Is USADA going to go after all the other cyclists who never tested negative with such force?  What a screwjob. 

It is precisely the fact that everyone was, and probably still is, doping that makes them go hard after the cyclist. They *have* to set an example, and Armstrong is probably the best damn example out there.
Personally, I'd have banned someone like Riis from ever participating in any way as well, but thats just because I have a zero tolerance policy towards drugs.

In my opinion, the sport has become a joke - Its widely accepted that everyone drugs themselves before a race, and thats rather problemetic for someone wanting to be taken seriously as a competitive sport.

I hope they can get away from that, and show that once more Cycling is worthy of being a sport, but its going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to convince the public that they are running on their own fuel, so to speak.

A new one
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 17, 2012, 01:42:06 PM

It is precisely the fact that everyone was, and probably still is, doping that makes them go hard after the cyclist. They *have* to set an example, and Armstrong is probably the best damn example out there.

I disagree.  Lance wasn't the problem, the sport was.  There were so many cyclists doping and not getting caught that the only way to succeed was to dope as well.  I'm not saying that's right, but it's the truth.  Armstrong didn't win simply because he cheated, but because he was better than everybody else even though they were cheating too. 

The sport and the testing failed, but instead of blaming the system they decided to destroy one man.  The sport was so bad that the only way to compete was to cheat.  USADA doesn't go after everybody and try to ban them, but instead focuses on one person as their golden prize.  What kind of influence did they use to get people to testify against him?  They're not trying to clean up a sport.  They're trying to hurt someone who beat them.  They failed and are going to exact vengeance.  F@ck USADA. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »

When Nike drops you, you know it's bad.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 17, 2012, 01:09:50 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2012, 05:06:41 PM

I mean his brand will be secure because no matter what happens, most people will still believe he didn't cheat.

There's enough doubt out there about the bias of the USADA that he'll pretty much remain with his good name, depending on how you see it.

Well you blew that. Nike has dropped him and he's booted as chairman from Livestrong.

Actually, he stepped down as chairman of Livestrong, he wasnt booted.  Clearly, this controversy has made his chairmanship detrimental to the charity and stepping down was the right choice but he hasnt been kicked to the curb either as he still remains on the charity's board and will be speaking at Livestrongs 15th anniversary gala on Friday. 

Regarding his titles, what are they going to do now cede them to the next guy in line and then investigate him for doping?  At least there are attorneys that can benefit from this because if the reports are true then they wont be able to find a legitimate cyclist to actually bestow those titles to.   In the end they may have been better served to recognize the competitive balance issues that the entire sport is responsible for, asterisk the titles and then get on with cleaning up the sport.  Instead they decided to bring down the most visible athlete in the sport, as vindictively as possible, in hopes of creating enough uproar to distract people from the real issue.  In the end, I believe this move will not help the sport but damage it possibly beyond repair.  After all when they have no tests that prove doping and 100's that refute it, if you believe doping was and is that pervasive, then where is the problem really?   Is it Armstrong or is it the sport in general?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »

The Frenchies already said that there will be no winner for those years.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

If he was the most tested athlete ever, how the hell could he have duped the system for that long?  The entire testing process would have had to be corrupt from the mailroom to the top!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 17, 2012, 08:47:18 PM

If he was the most tested athlete ever, how the hell could he have duped the system for that long?  The entire testing process would have had to be corrupt from the mailroom to the top!

Everyone has a price. If you have the cash.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 17, 2012, 11:12:19 PM

But the ENTIRE system, all at once? 
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »

Dd they have the test to find his particular method back then? If there was no reliable test, then it wouldn't matter how many times he was checked.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 02:32:49 AM »

This article seems to talk a little about how Armstrong managed to dupe the world.

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed by a person's character.   icon_frown

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2012, 12:32:03 AM

Quote from: Arclight on October 17, 2012, 11:12:19 PM

But the ENTIRE system, all at once? 

The mailroom guy isn't doing the test.  It only takes one guy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »

The real question about bicycle racing is does ANYBODY not use drugs, dope blood, etc.? I mean, if the tests are apparently so relatively easy to circumvent, and basically 100% of the people racing are doing it, what's the point? That's assuming Armstrong never failed a test because he is in fact a diabolical genius blood doper who managed to use umpteen tricks and subterfuge to get around it and taught everyone else in pro bike racing how to do the same.

Armstrong may well be in fact just that -- but retroactively taking away all of his tour victories and banning him doesn't alone clean up the sport.

Maybe they should just shut down the whole sport of professional bike racing entirely and try to get their ducks in a row about testing, instead of trying to basically fix the sport while it's in motion. If the sport has basically just become about "who can dope better," if there's simply no way to precisely test for that because people can get around it or fake it etc. so easily, then what's the point of continuing it in its current form? It's a joke. It's a farce. Shut it down, talk to some scientists and researchers, and see if there's a reasonable way to make the sport clean again. imho. from a non-biker.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

They are all cheaters. He was just better than everyone else at it.   If he did something criminal then let him be prosecuted, but I wish people would just leave dude alone. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »

If 100% of the racers are doping, doesn't that make it an even playing field and Lance still the winner?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 18, 2012, 03:05:21 PM

They are all cheaters. He was just better than everyone else at it.   If he did something criminal then let him be prosecuted, but I wish people would just leave dude alone. 

+1  It is just a silly witch hunt.  I can't see any practical value to it.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2012, 03:06:24 PM

If 100% of the racers are doping, doesn't that make it an even playing field and Lance still the winner?

That seems like a logical argument.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

So Nike drops Armstrong, but keeps Tiger Woods?  Oy.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 18, 2012, 03:26:42 PM

So Nike drops Armstrong, but keeps Tiger Woods?  Oy.

Well, one of them violated the 'integrity' of the sport and nike is about sports. The other just cheated on his wife. They're not about wives.

It's how the world works.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »

I imagine that the Trek executives are probably crying somewhere.  Lance was a huge reason why their road bikes were so popular, particularly the Madone line.  Afaik, Trek hasn't dropped him. 

Nevermind, I just checked and they dropped him yesterday.  His sponsors can't jump ship fast enough. 
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 18, 2012, 03:16:15 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 18, 2012, 03:05:21 PM

+1  It is just a silly witch hunt.  I can't see any practical value to it.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2012, 03:06:24 PM

That seems like a logical argument.

No because apparently doping affect different people differently. Some people get more of a benefit from it than others. I saw this in an article that I can't find now but if I can dig it up I'll post a link.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »

You never see this shit in professional Chess Macramé.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:31:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »

This took me longer to post than it did to find. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »

NPR recently put out a podcast on the USADA report and the doping allegations against Armstrong.  I'm still not sure about his guilt/innocence, but it's an interesting listen.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/11/16/165308529/episode-417-lance-armstrong-and-the-business-of-doping
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:59 AM »

I am a big fan of Planet Money, but that wasn't a very thorough report. They act like doping is on the decline, but there is no reason to believe it is. I unfortunately missed this years Tour, but it seems quite normal for riders to get caught still. We really have no idea what is going on in cycling today as far as drug use, let's not pretend that the corruption left the sport with Lance.

Doping or not, I can't wait for 2013's Tour.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:56 AM »

confession incoming?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2013, 12:26:56 AM

We'll get to see Thursday.  What a crock this whole thing has become.  What happens to all the lawsuits for libel he won?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »

What a self-made mess that he got himself in. I'd feel bad for the guy if he wasn't such a lying hypocrite. I would much rather have rooted on a drug-free athlete who doesn't always win than some cheater with zero integrity and 7 bogus jerseys.

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 04:33:50 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 15, 2013, 04:16:25 AM

I would much rather have rooted on a drug-free athlete who doesn't ever win than some cheater with zero integrity and 7 bogus jerseys.

His name is Clyde Finaker and he works in the Walmart in Paramus.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:31 AM »

I got a couple Armstrong books from the library a few years back. My wife completed one and encouraged me to read the other.

I got through about three chapters and couldn't take anymore. The most self absorbed piece of crap put in print.

When rumors later started circulating about doping,I was totally convinced. Not surprised in the least with this.

Sent from me cool phone

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »

This morning it was saying on the news that Lance Armstrong had come clean in the interview he did with Oprah Winfrey,however the ticker bar is now saying that he "did not come clean in the manner she expected"

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 15, 2013, 01:50:27 PM

This morning it was saying on the news that Lance Armstrong had come clean in the interview he did with Oprah Winfrey,however the ticker bar is now saying that he "did not come clean in the manner she expected"

I am guessing he is going to never say he did it exactly, just that everyone in cycling dopes implying that he did as well.

As a huge Tour de France fan, I really don't care anymore. I just assume they all dope, and I am ok with that, I guess.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »

I would guess that anyone finishing in the top 10 of cycling events consistently is doping something.  Just the nature of the sport ala Nascar.

morlac00 on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 15, 2013, 06:47:22 PM

Just the nature of the sport ala Nascar.

?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 15, 2013, 06:53:04 PM

Quote from: morlac on January 15, 2013, 06:47:22 PM

Just the nature of the sport ala Nascar.

?

http://nascar.about.com/od/teams/a/punishcheats.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/top-nascar-engineering-cheats
http://machinedesign.com/article/how-to-cheat-in-nascar-1023

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/shortcuts/2012/jul/15/scandalous-history-tour-de-france

Essentially, the best teams all cheat.  The sport has a long history of it.  Constant game off circumventing the latest rules/test.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:11:16 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »

Same could be said about all top level motorsport really.  F1 is all about it.  It's part of the game.

Then again these are mechanical devices we are talking about and not human beings.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 16, 2013, 12:14:32 AM

Same could be said about all top level motorsport really.  F1 is all about it.  It's part of the game.

Then again these are mechanical devices we are talking about and not human beings.

I could dope, even in my cycling prime, and still struggle to do one mountain stage of the Tour.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:12 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 16, 2013, 12:55:20 AM

Quote from: gellar on January 16, 2013, 12:14:32 AM

Same could be said about all top level motorsport really.  F1 is all about it.  It's part of the game.

I could dope, even in my cycling prime, and still struggle to do one mountain stage of the Tour.

And?  I could break every F1 rule in the game and yet to field a car that would start or run, even if I was an engineer.  I'm not sure what your point is (but am genuinely curious).
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »

F1 is all about money. Rich teams win.

I am not defending cycling, it's a corrupt sport, but these guys are great athletes that do what even an amateur couldn't do with drugs. While I dislike doping in the sport, it's been at the point (for decades now) where doping is part of the sport to get the edge. Lance is worse than most because of is bitter denial, but that is only because he got away with it for so long and actually won. For me, as silly as it may be, I will still watch because of the spectacle, doping or not.

My point, in the end, is F1 isn't really a good comparison.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: