http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 12:17:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Armstrong to be charged with doping by USADA  (Read 3800 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has notified former cyclist Lance Armstrong that it intends to file doping charges that could strip him of all seven Tour de France titles, a source familiar with the case told ESPN.

Armstrong received the letter Tuesday, saying USADA intends to file charges that he possessed and used human growth hormone, testosterone and blood-doping products while a member of the U.S. Postal racing team, beginning in 1998.
Under USADA procedures, Armstrong has 10 days to respond to the charges, after which an independent anti-doping review panel would look at the USADA evidence and decide whether formally to charge Armstrong with doping.

If he contests the charges, he is entitled to a "trial" where evidence would be presented and witnesses would testify under oath. It would be up to Armstrong whether the hearing is open to the public.
As a result of the charges, the World Triathlon Corporation has suspended Armstrong, who recently resumed his career as a triathlete, pending resolution of the case. He is currently able to compete in non-WTC events.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Los Angeles announced earlier this year that is was dropping an investigation into an alleged doping scheme with the U.S. Postal team that could have resulted in conspiracy and fraud charges against Armstrong.

A lawyer familiar with the case said the government shared no information from its case with USADA.  The lawyer said "more than 10" other cyclists were asked to speak to USADA officials about evidence against them, but only Armstrong refused to meet.

It's such a long-running story and just keeps going around and around. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »

If they have solid proof against him, it will be a pretty sad day for sports. I'll wait for the evidence, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 13, 2012, 09:14:39 PM

If they have solid proof against him, it will be a pretty sad day for sports. I'll wait for the evidence, though.

Agree on all counts.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »

As one of the most tested athletes in sports, either he has phenomenal systems in place to thwart testing effectiveness, or this will continue to remain an unsolved mystery.

I am certainly curious as to the evidence, but hopefully it isn't primarily comprised of "witness accounts" from people of already questionable character (Floyd Landis as an example).  This will be a case that will certainly receive international attention.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »

Lance response:

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstrong-responds-to-usada-allegation
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

I like Lance Armstrong a lot - This seems like pure spite. There has been a TON of athletes who have been caught and admitted to drug use but they chose to go after Lance Armstrong? Someone should sue these guys and make them stop.

A new one
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »

It's no real surprise that this crops up yet again as the Tour nears.  Doping allegations have become an annual tradition of the Tour.  It almost seems like a poor publicity stunt to force interest in the upcoming race as doping has sullied the sport so badly that it seems to have dropped even below boxing in terms of believability and integrity.  It really is a shame as cycling is an exciting and physically grueling sport. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

I can just imagine Greg LeMond dressed like Dr. Evil orchestrating this effort from a hidden base deep within the mountains of France.  The USADA secretly reports to Greg.  Or he replaced the members with dopplegangers. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »

I think his response is pretty much perfect.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:36:41 AM »

i actually thought he had been caught at least once before?  or is this just the "official" response to a previous inquiry?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:53 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 14, 2012, 02:36:41 AM

i actually thought he had been caught at least once before?  or is this just the "official" response to a previous inquiry?

Never even tested positive.  Just a bunch of false accusations.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 14, 2012, 02:54:53 AM

Quote from: Doopri on June 14, 2012, 02:36:41 AM

Never even tested positive.  Just a bunch of false untried accusations.

Fixed for truthiness. Dismissing them as false is passing as much judgement as saying he's guilty. This has never gone to trial.
I don't think it matters one way or another. His performance is stellar, and while cheating that would make him a liar, it is amazing how many athletes actually DO dope up.

I +1 Kathodes' pic. Now, Kathode, GET BACK TO MAKING ME A HALO GAME WITH A DECENT ENDING!!!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »

Does anyone give a flying fuck anymore?  Besides, it's not like they weren't all doping back then anyway, so it was a level playing field.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

This article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1211018--lance-armstrong-facing-new-doping-charges?bn=1 has some details around the latest accusations.

I find Lance's response to be a curious one: Armstrong, who has been in France training for a triathlon, maintained his innocence, saying in a statement: I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one.
You'll notice that he denies any doping (steroids) but does not refute the blood workups that he is also accused of. His comments around 'spike in performance' lead me to believe that he is resting on the facts that he won 7 straight years and was also a 'consistent' performer for many of the 25yrs of his career.

A very careful and planned response IMHO.

I vote guilty. But then again I could also care less.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »

Quote from: Roman on June 14, 2012, 01:30:48 PM

I vote guilty. But then again I could also care less.

You *could* care less, or *could not*? Could implies you do care, at least somewhat.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »

easy there grammar Gary! icon_razz

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »

Lance Armstrong is and was one of the most tested athletes out there. I don't know how anyone could call him guilty.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »

GUILTY!!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »

The man's almost 82 years old, for cryin' out loud.  So what if he doped up and rode a bike for some reason.  He walked on the face of the damn moon, cut him some slack!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »

I can understand if Lance's name was Robert, Hep.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I hear you get confused with Neil and Bob. icon_twisted

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »

You just used a joke from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.  I'm not sure which is more embarrassing:  that you did, or that I knew.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 14, 2012, 06:58:38 PM

You just used a joke from The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.  I'm not sure which is more embarrassing:  that you did, or that I knew.   icon_confused

One of my guilty pleasures.  Love me some Ford Fairline.

morlac00 on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 03:34:36 AM »

Armstrong has had enough and said he's not going to fight anymore, but says it's not an admission of guilt.  USADA says otherwise and issues a lifetime ban and says they're going to strip him of all 7 titles.  Armstrong says they don't have authority to do that.  USADA says they do. 

Sad that it's come to this.  BOO USADA, I believe in Lance!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »

This is so weird how this all went down.  Even if the USADA did have loads of evidence, I wouldn't think they would have the authority to do anything except make a recommendation to the Tour de France officials.  I thought the USADA's "jurisdiction" was over US olympic athletes, not professional venues like the Tour de France.  
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:25 AM »

Never seen it.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »

This seems like some serious BS.  Never saw the movie either btw.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 14, 2012, 07:35:46 PM

One of my guilty pleasures.  Love me some Ford Fairline.
Same here.
"My hair! My hair!" icon_lol

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 24, 2012, 03:40:50 AM

This is so weird how this all went down.  Even if the USADA did have loads of evidence, I wouldn't think they would have the authority to do anything except make a recommendation to the Tour de France officials.  I thought the USADA's "jurisdiction" was over US olympic athletes, not professional venues like the Tour de France.  

this.  Tour de France should just tell the USADA(ssholes) to fuck off.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

My gut feeling is he doped.  It's hard to believe that all the other members of his team doped and he didn't.  That being said, he should keep his titles.  If he didn't test positive at the time, he should't be penalized after the fact.   No positive test = no proof. 
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2012, 05:24:40 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on August 24, 2012, 03:40:50 AM

this.  Tour de France should just tell the USADA(ssholes) to fuck off.

It's a conspiracy by Lance:

1) He lets the USADA make their outrageous statements declaring they'll strip him of his titles.
2) The French, even though they're aching to do the same, are contrary cusses and aren't going to let the Americans tell them what to do. They declare him a national hero and raise a statue to him at the top of the highest point of the course.
3) Profit!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on August 24, 2012, 05:40:27 PM

My gut feeling is he doped.  It's hard to believe that all the other members of his team doped and he didn't.  That being said, he should keep his titles.  If he didn't test positive at the time, he should't be penalized after the fact.   No positive test = no proof. 

+1.

I don't care if every teamate he had says he doped - he passed the drug tests...lots and lots of drug tests.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

And if he did dope, well, he's a better cyclist than a bunch of other dopers.  Just sayin'.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 24, 2012, 07:57:43 PM

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on August 24, 2012, 05:40:27 PM

+1.

I don't care if every teamate he had says he doped - he passed the drug tests...lots and lots of drug tests.

Agreed.  What a gigantic waste of time.  The sport is riddled with dopers.  He's an unbelievable talent and if the sport was 100% clean I think he would have dominated irregardless. 

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »

Aye, its very doubtful he's clean, but as long as there is no proof, no action should be taken against him.

A new one
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »

And how does the USADA have ANY authority to strip his victories in a event that takes place in a foreign country.... I'd say I passed your tests, I won, I have the trophies, try and come get them...
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:50 AM »

Because the organization that runs the TdF is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Treaty of Awesomeness; a decision by the recognized body of one country has to be honored by all of the other countries.

Whether he was doping/contravening the rules/etc, all of these years later, now it is a witch hunt.  I hate all of these retroactive vacating/stripping of titles and games for off the field issues.   

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »

I can hardly imagine the logistics of revoking all those Livestrong bracelets everywhere.  retard
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

Report to be release very soon.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1268926--lance-armstrong-cycling-team-ran-most-sophisticated-doping-program-in-sport-report

I have not followed this other than to read the odd article but my legal mind thinks this does not look good for him.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »

What can  they do to him now? He's lost the titles already. Does he have to repay prize money?

I mean his brand will be secure because no matter what happens, most people will still believe he didn't cheat.

There's enough doubt out there about the bias of the USADA that he'll pretty much remain with his good name, depending on how you see it.

Is there a chance for criminal charges?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »

while the report may prove interesting, Im thinking that there a bit of confusion between the words evidence and testimony.  I haven't seen anything thing that points to them having any actual evidence.  He may well have doped but I really doubt that this report has anything beyond hearsay testimonies to back it up.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: