http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:38:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kung Fu Hustle - Why all the praise  (Read 1890 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »

Maybe I just don't get what exactly it is I was watching, but I watched Kung Fu Hustle and came away from it asking... WTF did I just watch and why did I even bother....so what am I missing?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »

It was hilarious.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The part where the bad guy roles into town and challenges everyone to a fight and the old lady comes up to him and it's like he gets hit with a sledge hammer. lolz.

The camera work was great- like when the master is suddenly in the car with the leaders of the gang (I think). The story was great...I thought the final fight was disappointing but overall the movie was a great kung fu spoof that wasn't so spoofy.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »

Holy crap, I LOVED Kung Fu Hustle. It's over the top, and exaggerates an already exaggerated kung fu movie style. Did you see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? in that film, which is far more art house and dramatic, the people can basically fly over tree tops in short bursts and suspend in the air, walk on water, and take crazy amounts of damage. It's a common convention of kung fu movies to somewhat deify their heroes. Kung Fu Hustle deifies the entire art of kung fu, and then turns it up to 11.

I don't see how anyone could see the scene where the guys attack the village by playing musical instruments, and not smile smile

For those that did like it, don't miss Steven Chow's older classic, Shaolin Soccer, it's a hoot as well.

Btw, Kung Fu Hustle 2 is in development  icon_cool

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »

KFH is the only movie other than Ice Pirates where I laugh so hard I cry every time I watch it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 15, 2008, 11:29:07 PM

KFH is the only movie other than Ice Pirates where I laugh so hard I cry every time I watch it.

Space Herpies!!
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »

Kung Fu Hustle is grrrrrreat.
Can't wait for Kung Fu Hustle 2.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:05 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 15, 2008, 11:10:10 PM

Maybe I just don't get what exactly it is I was watching, but I watched Kung Fu Hustle and came away from it asking... WTF did I just watch and why did I even bother....so what am I missing?

yeah, I didn't think it was all that either.  Trust me, if you didn't like it skip Shaolin Soccer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:42:18 AM »

Never understood all the praise myself. The humor was kind of cheap and predictably visceral. Doesn't help that the kung-fu genre is already a parody of itself.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:32 AM »

It is just another bad and average Stephen Chow's movie. Nothing special at all, but I guess most westerners never watched any Stephen Chow's movie before that other than Shaolin Soccer.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:07:42 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on June 16, 2008, 05:10:32 AM

It is just another bad and average Stephen Chow's movie. Nothing special at all, but I guess most westerners never watched any Stephen Chow's movie before that other than Shaolin Soccer.

Which ones of his do you like?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »

KungFu Hustle is awesome-there must be something seriously wrong with you!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:42:57 AM »

I liked it as well, but LOVED Shaolin-Soccer!!

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »

Kung-Fu Hustle was decent (but highly overrated), but I hated Shaolin Soccer with a passion - and I'm even a soccer player!  Some movies just rub you the wrong way, and for whatever reason, Shaolin Soccer was one of them.  I actually watched the entire movie simply to see if the movie could top itself in sheer stupidity.  That was 2 hours of my life I wish I had back.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »

I loved Kung Fu Hustle for the same reason I loved Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:  The sheer audacity.  It was like Stephen Chow just asked, "What else can I put in?  Oh, I know!  A scene with the bad guys lighting their hair on fire!  Oh!  How about them chopping up a bell and using it as an amplifier!"  It was like the kind of movies you would make if you had an unlimited budget and imagination.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »

My well documented love of Cabin Boy now seems a bit less embarrassing....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »

I loved KFH, it's exactly what I want from a movie. Entertaining as hell and full of fun.

JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 16, 2008, 05:43:37 PM

My wife and I  loved Cabin Boy tries to have the kids(13 & 18yr old girls) watch it and they shut it off in a couple of minutes
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 04:02:34 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 16, 2008, 06:07:42 AM

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on June 16, 2008, 05:10:32 AM

Which ones of his do you like?

I don't remember. I think I used to like his movies, but after so many of them you get tired of the same stupid jokes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 15, 2008, 11:22:54 PM

Holy crap, I LOVED Kung Fu Hustle. It's over the top, and exaggerates an already exaggerated kung fu movie style. Did you see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? in that film, which is far more art house and dramatic, the people can basically fly over tree tops in short bursts and suspend in the air, walk on water, and take crazy amounts of damage. It's a common convention of kung fu movies to somewhat deify their heroes. Kung Fu Hustle deifies the entire art of kung fu, and then turns it up to 11.

I loved it too.  I think Jeff's review here pretty much hits the mark.  The movie works on multiple levels, as a comedy AND as a total badass martial arts flick.  It's similar to a "scary movie" type of parody but it is as much an homage as a parody, and has a style all its own.  I can certainly see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, though.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on June 16, 2008, 11:50:01 PM

My wife and I  loved Cabin Boy tries to have the kids(13 & 18yr old girls) watch it and they shut it off in a couple of minutes

wanna buy a monkey?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 05:22:12 AM »

The scene where the lead asks for someone to fight him and then gives excuses for why he can't fight each person that stands up is freakin' classic.  Kung Fu Hustle rocked.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »

I loved how it had a semi-serious overall story that was in the middle of an outlandish comedic venue.  What really made it shine as a movie though was the direction and art style.  I thought it was of high enough quality that I would consider it to be a masterpiece smile

It had a good enough story and likeable enough characters to keep me interested, the fights were well choreographed, the effects done well and the dialogue was humorous without being dry or overly long.  I think it was a hit on all the criteria I judge movies on.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 07:49:20 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 17, 2008, 08:41:09 PM

Quote from: JCAnejo on June 16, 2008, 11:50:01 PM

wanna buy a monkey?

though I've never seen cabin boy, I thought the line was 'would'ya like to buy a monkey?'  sicne I watched Letterman a lot during that time period and he'd say it about a dozen times per show every night again and again and again. slywink
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 16, 2008, 01:12:17 PM

Kung-Fu Hustle was decent (but highly overrated), but I hated Shaolin Soccer with a passion - and I'm even a soccer player!  Some movies just rub you the wrong way, and for whatever reason, Shaolin Soccer was one of them.  I actually watched the entire movie simply to see if the movie could top itself in sheer stupidity.  That was 2 hours of my life I wish I had back.

I also didn't like Shaolin Soccer.
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

Stephen Chiau's movies used to be comedy gold...see ROYAL TRAMP or FIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL or GOD OF GAMBLERS 2 or LOVE ON DELIVERY or FROM BEIJING WITH LOVE.  But then in the mid-'90s he took over the directorial reins for his own career, and revealed what he really wanted to be:  a maudlin comedic has-been after the fashion of late Steve Martin and Robin Williams and Jim Carrey.  Too sad really.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 18, 2008, 07:49:20 AM

though I've never seen cabin boy, I thought the line was 'would'ya like to buy a monkey?'  sicne I watched Letterman a lot during that time period and he'd say it about a dozen times per show every night again and again and again. slywink

here's the clip   icon_biggrin

the line is actually "Would you like to buy a monkey?"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:38:00 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: