http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kong is coming...  (Read 4906 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »

Kong is King.Net has a teaser for the preview which airs next Monday on all the NBC-Universal owned stations. It's only a two second clip but sweet mother Mary...

:shock:

I can't wait to see this in action. If Kong moves half as fast as those arms lead me to believe, then...

:shock:

Like I said, this is a teaser for a teaser, but it's enough to glue me to the tube next week.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 06:24:03 PM »

Was there the other day.  Gonna be one sweet little movie.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »

I haven't been able to muster any enthusiasm for this movie. What's the appeal, other than the fact that Jackson is directing it?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »

What's the appeal

It's King Fucking Kong.

Not to mention that it is a good story too.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »

I grew up on the 1970's version and liked it. The rest that Ive ever seen have been horrid.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »

I'd be interested because the movie's being helmed by a talented man who has tremendous respect for the material. He's getting to make the Kong movie he's always dreamt of doing since he was a little kid, and has the technology to portray Kong as he's always wanted to.

Plus, Naomi Watts is gorgeous.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »

Is that a T-Rex attacking the girl until KK steps in?  It sure looks like one.  

I don't think I know the story of King Kong very well if there are dinasours in it.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 08:30:43 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

I don't think I know the story of King Kong very well if there are dinasours in it.

Dude, watch the black and white King Kong! It's a CLASSIC movie!

NOW!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »

I may be a heathen for saying it, but the original King Kong is that era's equvalent of Independence Day.  The story was always fairly thin, the acting was passable at best, and the whole thing was just an excuse to show off the nifty special effects.  Those effects were excellent, but it doesn't make it a good movie.

That said, I'm interested to see what Jackson does with it.  However, I'm concerned that given the source material, there just aint that much there to work with in the first place.  FX should be top notch though.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 08:56:36 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Quote from: "farley2k"

Dude, watch the black and white King Kong! It's a CLASSIC movie!

NOW!

It came in black and white?

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 08:57:20 PM »

Hmm, Independence Day never made me feel the sorrow Kong did in the end.

And I think that the dinosaur in the clip is called a V-Rex, the modern day ancestor of the T-Rex, or what the T-Rex would have become/evolved into had it never become extinct.

Or had Christians never popped up.

(Is that even a joke? Does that even make sense?)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 09:32:45 PM »

Did to me slywink good work

Done posting
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
I may be a heathen for saying it, but the original King Kong is that era's equvalent of Independence Day.  The story was always fairly thin, the acting was passable at best, and the whole thing was just an excuse to show off the nifty special effects.  Those effects were excellent, but it doesn't make it a good movie.

Actually, that's pretty accurate. No need to apologize for it. smile Yes Farley, it came in black and white and is still a lot of fun to watch. In the stop motion you can see the animators fingerprints on the fur as they moved Kong. It's classic greatness. smile I'm really anxious to see this film now because they can do so much better with putting genuine emotion into Kong's eyes. Plus, it's a period piece so we have the classic New York which was always my favorite.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 11:00:25 PM »

King Kong's got nothing on me!

It had to be done......

I can't wait to see this one on the big screen.  I'm going to have to be sure to catch the end of Fear Factor on Monday to see the trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »

Are they going to feature the huge "keep out Kong" wall with the Kong-sized door in it?
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »

I just can't measure my exultation at being alive in a week where THE AMITYVILLE HORROR, BATMAN BEGINS, BEWITCHED, HERBIE: FULLY LOADED, THE HONEYMOONERS, THE LONGEST YARD and WAR OF THE WORLDS are all out in cinemas at the same time.  If THE DUKES OF HAZZARD were here too, my balls would probably explode.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 01:26:26 AM »

The original black and white King Kong is one of the greatest movies ever made, I'm surprised that a movie fan exists that doesn't recognize that.  Kong was actually a great character in that movie, not just a giant prop, and the story was a fun adventure with subtext- what's not to like?

This oh so brief teaser for a teaser has left me with the 'meh' feeling.  That T rex is so last decade.  Kong moves fast, like a giant ape should I guess, but the set/art design looked very bland 'generic tropical, LOST type' island.  I saw none of the mystery that made the original island such a cool location.

I'm hoping for a more intriguing look on Monday because I want to like this movie.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 04:14:54 AM »

I must be one of the few for whom the idea of a King Kong remake doesn't resonate.  I don't see the need for it, actually.

Throw in Jack Black (who I really appreciate) and I just can't figure out what in the Hell is going on with this movie.

I sure hope it doesn't implode like big Godzilla movie.  We shall see...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 07:56:41 AM »

gameoverman, the pre-production artwork of and blue screen sets for the island are actually pretty atmospheric. Much spookier than the Hawaiian sets used in Lost. It's almost evil. Reminds me of the beginning of Raiders, or the jungle trek in Temple of Doom. Pulpy and malevolent.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 08:07:15 AM »

I sure hope it turns out that way.  I can't help but think 'Jurassic Park IV: Escape from the Monkey Cages!' when I look at that teaser.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 12:17:47 PM »

Im actually more pumped about "Land of the Dead" than a King Kong movie.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »

That little 2 second peek made me think Mighty Joe Young.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 01:24:48 AM »

Trailer 20+mb

Looks like fun, but nowhere near what I was hoping for.  Too much Jurassic Park in it for my taste.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 02:21:11 AM »

I agree. It's plenty far away from being done, but it didn't quite grab me like that little tease did. Though I think I might just like Jack Black even more.

"Bring the camera." biggrin

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 04:05:23 AM »

I wasn't really impressed until Kong jumped down to protect Anne and howled at the V-Rex. Nuthin' like an angry 50 foot gorilla in love.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 04:21:15 AM »

Its been so long since I have seen the orginal that I really need to see it again soon.  The teaser looks really interesting even with the fact that I am not a huge fan of Jack Black.  I like SOME of the remakes they have done to bring movies up to date.  The Shining as it got redone was nice, but still nothing compared to the creepiness of the orginal.  I want to see War of the Worlds.  The classics will always have a place for them.  Something about the acting.  When people had to know how to sing and dance, and act.  Not just one of those things.  I think Christopher WAlken and Morgan Freeman are prolly two of the last of a long lost artform.  But the teaser looks nice.  I will be looking forward to the movie.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 11:34:52 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
Trailer 20+mb

Looks like fun, but nowhere near what I was hoping for.  Too much Jurassic Park in it for my taste.

My thoughts exactly.  My enthusiasm for KK dropped quite a few notches after seeing that trailer.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:53 PM »

I think I've seen the original King Kong (you know... the black & white one) probably 10-15 times.  It was my favorite movie as a kid and we rented it awhile back for my kids to watch and they loved it.

I only saw the 70's movie once as a kid.  I don't remember liking it much at the time.  Was it any good?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 02:30:18 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I only saw the 70's movie once as a kid.  I don't remember liking it much at the time.  Was it any good?

In short, no. Stick to the original. Watched the trailer again this morning and I agree with the general sentiments here - my enthusiasm dropped. Now I'm just "eh" on it. I love the shot of him catching Ann, then rolling away as the V-Rex snaps at her. That's just cool. biggrin

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »

Seriously, you guys are all nuts.  That trailer rocked.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »

*shrug* I really dug it.

Think it may help if you consider that most of the footage in the trailer is second-act stuff.  We start with a short snippet of the first-act, where we meet the players and travel to the island.  We get a ton of on-the-island stuff.  And we get very little return-to-New York.

The trailer was, most likely, put together by marketing folk.  They want to show an exciting action movie, so they give us the exciting and wierd shots from the second-act.  I'm just grateful they didn't blow the mon(k)ey shot of Kong on the Empire State Building in the first trailer.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »

So is this movie a remake of the original KK or is it a movie that just happens to have a giant ape in it? I never saw the original. Were there dinos in that?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »

Bleh.

Just watched the full trailer.  No thanks.  Probably not even a rental.

Jack Black's narration just doesn't fit as I don't think he can be serious at all.  I kept hearing his character from School of Rock (great movie).

Dinosaurs?

The t-rex kong scene was pretty cool, but I'd rather see King Kong v. Godzilla... slywink.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
So is this movie a remake of the original KK or is it a movie that just happens to have a giant ape in it? I never saw the original. Were there dinos in that?

I think Kong wrestled with a giant snake, but it's been a while since I've seen it. The point of the island is it's one that was essentially a pocket for millions of years where evolution of a different sort occured. As such you have evolved dinosaurs and jungle and natives that have never seen the outside world.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "lildrgn"

I think Kong wrestled with a giant snake, but it's been a while since I've seen it. The point of the island is it's one that was essentially a pocket for millions of years where evolution of a different sort occured. As such you have evolved dinosaurs and jungle and natives that have never seen the outside world.

Yes he did.  There were giant snakes, a T-Rex, stegosaurus, pteranodons, etc.  As an 8 year-old boy that shit was crack to me.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 05:25:50 PM »

As an 8 year-old boy that shit was crack to me.

You mean last week!

ZING!

RING THE BELL FOR ATB!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Yes he did.  There were giant snakes, a T-Rex, stegosaurus, pteranodons, etc.  As an 8 year-old boy that shit was crack to me.

Yep and I'm all over this one as well. I have faith in Jackson... tho I do have issues with Jack Black in a serious role.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »

So they replaced the giant rubber snake with a dinosaur? Hmm....

I forgot to ask a guy that works in my department that was one of the two people who wore the ape suit in the 1970's version what he thought of the remake when we had lunch the other day. Unfortunately he wasn't credited but he has pictures of him in costume (with the head off) standing with the cast and crew and has some pretty funny stories.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »

I thought it was just make-up guru Rick Baker in the 1970's suit. What department of what company do you work at? smile

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »

After watching the trailer the only thing it made me want to do is play Primal Rage...

Ascendent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: