http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:48:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KONG!!!!!!!  (Read 1292 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:15:35 AM »

WOW.  Freaking WOW.  Just got back from it.

We've come a long way from Jar Jar Binks....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »

Enjoyed it but I felt it was a bit bloated at times, it didn't have to be 3+ hours long.  The special effects were great.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:20:07 PM »

In a word, "Spectacular".

But it's one of those movies you have to see for yourself. Forget the critics, forget what anyone else says, go watch it and decide for yourself.

In my opinion, it's EXACTLY what a movie should be, long, loud, exiting and full of oohs and aahs. I want entertainment. King Kong entertained me.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:56:40 PM »

I liked it, but it seems like it might not be the huge hit that PJ fans were hoping for....

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2005-12-14&p=.htm

Only 9 Mil, #21 Wednesday Open.....Pokemon did better.....   :?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 02:26:18 AM »

just went with the GF to see it.

I went in expecting good.  Peter Jackson.

I got good, and better.  It was much more than I had expected, really.  It did sometimes seem a little long.  If there should be any short or time cut, I would say no more than 20 minutes.  10-15 would be great.

it was very loud where we went to see it, and now I am glad.  Not the first time she screams, but the second time as Kong comes out, was so loud, and shrill, it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Its been sometime since I jumped in a movie.  Anything.  As She was coming from the small cave, I was looking to the top of the screen for kong, both myself and the GF jumped.

Great movie.  I still dont like Jack Black though.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »

So I saw this finally...not bad.

Some thoughts:  It way too long, I don't see how anyone could really say it wasn't.  Virtually every scene seemed to have been deliberately drawn out as long as possible, possibly out of a 'less is not more, MORE is more' mentality.  I'll give some examples in the spoiler section.

Likes: the 'hero' Baxter character was good, nicely played.  He could have been unlikeable and smarmy but I thought the actor did a real good job with him.  I like how at the end, the army guys just open up on Kong, none of this "wait, we can't shoot, he has the girl!" stuff.   I REALLY liked Naomi Watts in this.  She was smoking hot AND actually delivered a really entertaining performance. Her and that Baxter guy were the only two to really capture the spirit of what a Kong movie should feel like.  The recreations of New York, and the beginning and end were awesome.  Adrien Brody really got screwed in his role, it was almost a complete waste, there was so little for him to do of any importance.

I'll have more later, gotta go now.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

So I'm back to complete my review.

The level of brutal violence was a pleasant surprise.  Kong himself was of course more 'real', but only in certain kinds of scenes.  Virtually all the scenes of him holding or carrying Ann looked as fake as any stop motion animation.  The scenes of him sitting or standing there with Ann standing on her own were the best ones.

As for the not so good:  The stuff Jack Black had to work with.  He was just too much of a grade A prick to care about.  Consequently, the basis for much of the film(Carl trying to get the film he needed to save his ass) held no appeal for me, I couldn't care any less if he got his movie or not.  I think it was a big mistake to turn him into a villain type.

Another thing that wasn't so good was how they made the entire movie fantasy rather than just the creatures on that island.  The first part of the movie was nicely realistic, then the island stuff was totally unrealistic(physics mostly), then the end stuff went back into semi-realistic mode, then it ends with total unreality again.  I wish they had picked one tone and stuck with it, it was distracting the way it is now.

Spoiler for Hiden:
An example of the tendency to have scenes run on was the ending, where Ann and Kong share their last moments together.  The first time Kong is laying there and Ann is crying, I thought "Okay, I get it, no need to draw this out", then I thought "Well, it IS their last time together, cut them some slack".   But then the planes come from the rear and shoot him again.  And we get ANOTHER extended "last moments together" scene with Ann and Kong before Kong takes his tumble.  Two scenes of the same thing when one was enough, why?

Another was the extended scene of the ship crashing amonst the rocks when they first found the island.  Why?  Really, what was the point of all that?  We know they aren't all gonna die before we see Kong, we know they need that ship to get Kong back home- so there's no suspense from those angles.  Plus it then makes the later scene where the movie people blithely row through those rocks and waves seem very odd and unbelievable.  I mean, a ship with a source of dependable power was borderline uncontrollable but a few guys can row though it with nary a second thought?

Lastly, was I the only one who thought we'd see a puff of smoke when Kong landed at the end? Sort of like in the Roadrunner cartoons when the coyote falls off a cliff.  Since that shot was filmed looking down, instead of from the side, I thought that was the reason.  I was disappointed when that didn't happen, hehe.

Other artistic things bugged me.  The exact kind of jerky slow motion shots as we see in the LOTR movies show up frequently in KK, damn I hate those shots.  In fact, quite a few shots in KK looked like they came straight out of the storyboards for LOTR.  I was reminded of Gandalf's falling battle with the Balrog,  the orcs circling the Fellowship in the Mines of Moria right before the Balrog shows up, Gollum climbing up the rocks, and other stuff.  The natives on Skull island looked alot like orcs now that I think of it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:31:05 AM »

I saw it the other day, not really that impressed.  I had high expectations and there were times that I almost fell asleep.  Also, could Jack Black possibly have been any worse?  Actually, the acting on a whole seemed pretty bad.  The movie should have been about an hour shorter.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 05:51:13 AM »

Very late to the party ...

... and I was blown away. It's not a perfect film, not by a long shot, but damned if it didn't entertain the hell out of me. More than any of the movies I saw in the summer - Sith, Batman, War of the Worlds. It was a fantastic movie, so impressive, so overwhelming. Man, did they just nail Kong. I love that guy. Love him. Every moment he was onscreen I was entranced. The moments between him and Ann when she does her tricks for him? Awesome. And the peripheral story was better than I was expecting, the rest of the dinos and bugs and such. Maybe because I didn't have huge hopes for the flick, maybe not. But damned if Kong himself wasn't just amazing. His eyes, for God's sake. That digital creation had a soul! Unreal. I sympathized for Golum. I believed in Kong.

Full props to Peter Jackson for the movie. What an achievement.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 06:26:51 AM »

I was dissapointed too, gameoverman.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 06:39:57 AM »

Kong ROCKED.  HARD.

The only thing I didn't like was

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jack Black's line at the end sounded really cheesy.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 03:56:27 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

Spoiler for Hiden:

I had a lot of trouble interpreting this, too. Because I wasn't sure if Peter Jackson meant it, or if Jack Black's character meant it, or if he was struggling with his own guilt. I remember that moment and thought, "Bullshit!" So yeah, I didn't know how to take that.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

Spoiler for Hiden:

I had a lot of trouble interpreting this, too. Because I wasn't sure if Peter Jackson meant it, or if Jack Black's character meant it, or if he was struggling with his own guilt. I remember that moment and thought, "Bullshit!" So yeah, I didn't know how to take that.

it does come across as a bit of a cheesy line to end the movie, but Jackson was just being faithful to the original...those are the exact same words that end the 1933 version.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 02:56:16 AM »

Ahh, interesting. Though coming from that character, I don't buy it. I just couldn't figure out if he was an idiot, or if he was kidding himself. Wasn't sure how deep the line was supposed to go.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:38:11 AM »

The line was great and made sense in the original.  In PJ's version the nature of that character had been changed so much that I was surprised that he stuck with the same character delivering it.  It didn't bug me though because that was the least of the movie's problems, hehe(imo).
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 03:56:45 PM »

He he, she could wear the damn thing as a coat. Flashes of Naked Gun.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: