http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:05:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knee pain  (Read 364 times)
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »

Hey all,

I sprained my right knee last October playing touch football.  I was told it was a mild mcl sprain and to stay off of it for a few weeks.  I did and the pain seemed to have gone away.  However, it was still stiff several months later and I ended up tweeking it playing tennis.  Another month I rested, iced, and then it got back to normal.  Again, two weeks ago, I tweeked it playing with my puppy running around the house.  I went to a sports med doc who did an excellent job of aggravating it by twisting it a bit after I told him were it hurt, nice guy that doctor.  So now I have to wear a knee brace because I have to walk three blocks from the parking garage to my work and it hurts too badly without one.  He told me an xray or mri wasn't necessary, that it was just a mild sprain, and to avoid squatting, twisting, or any undue activity for the next few weeks.  It still hurts now, more so than before I went to the doc.  Any suggestions?  I can't go months at a time without basic exercise and there isn't anything I can do about the walking.

Suing the doctor has come to mind if I need to go back and get it rechecked.  If he tore my knee, I will be more than displeased.

Thanks.
McNutt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »

If the doctor tore your knee up during the examination then it most likely would have torn itself up anyways. 

Wait a few weeks and see how it feels.  If it doesn't get any better see another doctor and get a second opinion.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »

Keep in mind that knee damage takes a long time to heal and probably needs to be excercised back in shape. I tore off two ligaments in my knee in March, and I'm still struggling with daily pain and limitations (I can't jog, run or jump, for example), and I have to excercise following a strict program 5-6 days a week.

If the doctor said you're going to have pain for a week, he's probably right. Let your knee rest. If it keeps hurting, let him know.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »

IANAFD, but I think you should

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:48:15 AM »

I've had 3 knee surgeries. Doctors find out what's wrong with your knee by twisting, contorting, yanking, and generally hurting the hell out of your knee. They try to see how much play is there, how much resilience, etc. Getting your knee checked out hurts.

Hell, with one of my knees I had a dislocation of the patella. It was a seriously traumatic event, as I went into mild shock and the doctor put it back together without medicine, just brutal yanking it back into place. When I went in for a checkup, he had a student there with him and explained to the student that I had a dislocated patella. He took my leg, straightened it out, then pushed my kneecap near the point of dislocation. I recoiled in fear, grabbing onto whatever I could find and basically having a panic attack. "There" he said to his student, "a sign of someone who has dislocated their kneecap is an extreme reaction like this when you push on it." I wanted to beat the shit out of him, but I was so relieved that my kneecap wasn't dislocated again I didn't care at the time.

So yeah, long story made longer: orthopedic surgeons are dicks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: