http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut?  (Read 2560 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:59:09 PM »

Interesting. (Spoilers for the movie and The New World - it's a double review over at Ain't It Cool.) Apparently Ridley Scott has a much better cut of Kingdom of Heaven, wich struggled critically and commercially, that's showing in theatres. One of them. This is the cut that should have been released in the first place ... and it looks like Fox is just trying to bury it. If anyone's in that area, and thinks it sounds good, I'd suggest you snap up the opportunity and catch the flick.

I never had any interest in the original theatrical release, mainly due to the reviews, but I'll definitely watch the DVD of this new cut, if it ever surfaces.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 09:54:03 PM »

I hope the directors cut makes it to DVD.  I liked the original cut but felt that alot was missing, and to see some stuff explained would be great.  I was planning on picking it up on DVD, but now I'm going to wait.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 10:43:11 PM »

It is a SPOILER-FILLED quote, but here's one point that I found interesting in the AICN re-review regarding the nasty original edit:

... the character who got most damaged in the theatrical cut was Sibylla, played by Evan Green, best known as That Insanely Hot Girl From THE DREAMERS. She was pretty much useless in the theatrical release. She slept with Orlando, dissed her husband Guy (Marton Csokas) a few times, and then appeared to lose her mind for no reason during the last third of the film. Would it surprise you to learn that she had a son in the film? And that he was a major character, seeing as how he was supposed to inherit the throne after the death of King Baldwin (Edward Norton, channeling Marlon Brando in his masked role)? In fact, he does inherit the throne, and then gradually, a nasty surprise is unveiled, and when Sibylla loses her mind, it’s for a reason. She’s forced to make a choice that pretty much destroys her, and it’s quite affecting when you actually see it play out. As I understand it, Green totally shut out Fox when they asked her to help publicize the film this summer, and I can see why. They ruined her role, and only now is it possible to understand how good her work in the film is.

I stopped reading the review around there - and I hope I forget some of that info by the time I watch the flick - but that's a perfect example of entire sub-plots being annihilated by editing.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »

I'd buy it day one.  Keep thinking about getting the theatrical cut on DVD as I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.  A director's cut that irons out some of the flaws in the movie gets released, it'd be a no brainer.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »

I just couldn't get into this movie.  I thought it was absolutely mind-numbingly boring.  *shrug*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 01:29:31 PM »

Ron, Im with you. Love Ridley, couldnt understand why that moving was so boring.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »

And that's why I look forward to the Director's Cut. Apparently you give a shit about the characters and the story, and though the film's length is longer, it flies by, because you're sucked into it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »

Even longer though? I'm out for this one. I liked this movie, but more of it was the last thing I need. I'll probably watch it one day anyway, but for now, I don't want that 3 hour monstrosity sitting in my player.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 12:22:49 AM »

Yeah, I've completely avoided KoH once the rumors hit just before release about a longer, superior cut.  Hope it happens.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 01:59:27 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
Even longer though? I'm out for this one. I liked this movie, but more of it was the last thing I need. I'll probably watch it one day anyway, but for now, I don't want that 3 hour monstrosity sitting in my player.

Read the beginning of the review I linked at the top. The point is that the movie has much better pacing, and the length isn't an issue any more because you're sucked into the story. You're entranced in a way that the original cut never managed to do.

I mean, hell, this is a gaming forum, right? I'm sure we've all put aside practically an entire day playing any given game without being bored once. Christ, GTA III on its own is a time killer. I piss and moan about three hour movies that are boring, but not three hour movies that have me utterly entranced.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »

You do have a good point Dafones.  I'll reserve judgement until the "Longer, Better, and Uncut" version hits. (or am I thinking of a different movie... :twisted: )  Then we'll see where I stand.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 03:29:38 PM »

I didnt think KoH was a GREAT movie, but I did enjoy it.  I am interested in a uncut version.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I didnt think KoH was a GREAT movie, but I did enjoy it.  I am interested in a uncut version.
Likewise, this is why I don't think that this will be that enthralling. Is a little more time on the screen really going to suck me in that bad? I don't think so. I'll give it a watch anyway.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 04:20:54 AM »

Well waddaya know? Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut, due May 23, 2006. I know I'll be renting this one.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »

Yay!

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 04:17:38 PM »

YEA, as well.  I wondered what was going on with this.  It just snuck up on us.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »

Excellent!  I rather liked it as it was, though I had many problems with too many coincidences in the story.  However, reading that article showed that those "coincidences" were actually a part of the originally intended film.

I don't think I explained that too well.

Anyway, I'd be glad to own the film anyway, but have been waiting in hopes of a director's cut to significantly improve it.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

I saw the theatrical release and was quite disappointed.  How did Ridley screw up something with so much potential?  

The first mistake was to Hollywoodize history.  The story that should have been told (and was vaguely similar) was a riveting read in "Warriors of God"...Richard the Lionhear versus Saladin.  It was typical Hollywood in that they have a great true story and find it isn't interesting enough or good enough.  

There were loads of problems.  Bloom didn't really work in the lead role.  And the seige of Jerusalem was ludicrous with the machine gun like pace of the "fire boulder" bombardment.  What the hell was that?  Oh yea, good for special effects.  And the culminating battle being fought in the small breach.  Whatever.  Same feeling I had when I finished Alexander the Great.  

All in all, I might rent the Director's cut if it comes out but I'm not sure this movie can be saved with additional footage.

Saving the world one post at a time.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 05:13:06 AM »

Picked this up today after reading raves about it over on Home Theater Forum (including one from the esteemed Robert Harris).  Very, very good movie.  As I mentioned way back when in this thread, I had avoided the theatrical cut since I heard it was severely chopped.  I'm not sure what all of the differences were (aside from Eva Green's son which Scott mentions in the intro) but I will say that ,like the LOTR films, it was three hours that felt like only two.  Pacing was excellent, Bloom was surprisingly good in his role (any problems I had with the character were on a script level), and the supporting cast was *outstanding*.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 07:08:44 AM »

Oooh, it's out! Gotta pick it up. Thanks for the reminder.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 12:36:08 AM »

Hey, I remember this thread ...

Had a hangover to deal with today, so I rented the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, and I really enjoyed the movie. Yeah it's long, but it is fairly enjoyable throughout most of the flick. I can't believe that major plot pieces, like the Princess/Queen's son, were removed from the original movie. It doesn't make any sense. I can't imagine how the writer, and some of the actors, must have felt when they saw the theatrical cut.

Anyway, yeah, good movie, worth renting/queing.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 12:41:16 AM »

Kingdom of Heaven was one of the best movies I have seen in the last couple years, I REALLY hope Blockbuster Online gets the new cut!  Maybe I will have to add it to my Xmas list.   thumbsup thumbsup

Thanks for the update, I didn't even know this new cut was released!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:43:55 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 12:47:20 AM »

I love the Director's Cut.  The new scenes add so much more to the movie and make it deeper and richer.   Highly recommended.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 12:53:34 AM »

I have to agree that the Director's cut of this movie is absolutely better and more involving than the theatrical cut ever was.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 04:26:45 AM »

Just want to add a "ditto" to the last few comments. This Director's Cut is far more The Abyss than Aliens.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on October 31, 2006, 04:26:45 AM

Just want to add a "ditto" to the last few comments. This Director's Cut is far more The Abyss than Aliens.
Thank God. The DC's of those two were awful. Well, Aliens wasn't awful, it just didn't improve the original. The Abyss ruined a perfectly good movie: humans bad! Aliens good! puke

Not as bad as the DC of Apocalypse Now, though.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on October 31, 2006, 02:15:29 PM

Thank God. The DC's of those two were awful. Well, Aliens wasn't awful, it just didn't improve the original. The Abyss ruined a perfectly good movie: humans bad! Aliens good! puke

I prefer the director's cuts in both of those cases.  I get why some people prefer the theatrical cut of The Abyss, but there are too many great scenes in there to throw away.  Then again, I read Orson Scott Card's awesome novelization months before the movie came out, so I was rather confused on initial viewing about the lack of tidal wave and other things. 

The only Cameron director's cut I don't prefer is T2- director's cut of that one puts me to sleep. 
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 02:25:59 PM »

I totally was unaware of a director's cut of this as well.  I saw the theatrical cut back in September on a day off of work and liked it okay enough; but had I known there was the directors cut at the time, I'd have gone for that version... 

As it stands, I suspect it'll be a couple years at the soonest before I see the DC version.  I'm sure it's a lot better, but the version I saw was not compelling enough to see again anytime soon.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »

I've had it sitting on my DVD rack for a couple of months now, but forgot I grabbed it.  I should probably watch it..... I liked the original cut so I imagine I'll outright want to have Ridley Scotts man babies after seeing the DC  drool

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »

I have the director's cut and it is a awesome movie

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »

I enjoyed the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven, but the Director's Cut is far, far superior. I'd recommend it to anyone who even marginally enjoyed the theatrical cut, as it will likely resolve most of the complaints people had about the film. Nice to see so much of the plot restored.  icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »

Cool to see so many other people have seen the Director's Cut. My local rental store only had one copy of the DVD, right from the moment it was released, so I assumed this version would never really be watched. Then again, we are internet movie fans, and not your average viewer.

I still can't believe how much was cut for the original version. Doesn't make sense.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
RodeoRanch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 01:18:04 AM »

I'll pipe up only to agree that Director's Cut is pretty great! icon_biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

Too bad this version isn't available on Netflix.  I already had the original in my queue and would definitely replace it with this one since it seems to be the superior version. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 05:14:24 AM »

Take the original out of your que and walk over to your nearest Blockbuster right now to rent the DC.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 02, 2006, 03:25:00 AM

Too bad this version isn't available on Netflix.  I already had the original in my queue and would definitely replace it with this one since it seems to be the superior version. 

That's really weird since they have director's cuts of many other movies.  You should put in a request for them to carry it. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 03:51:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 01:21:15 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 02, 2006, 03:25:00 AM

That's really weird since they have director's cuts of many other movies.  You should put in a request for them to carry it. 

Can you do that?  Man, I didn't even know they had that feature.  Huzzah!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 12:45:25 PM »

I got the Directors' Cut mainly on the advice of this and another forum which features tentacles that-shall-not-be-named.  Anyway, the raves about the Director's Cut made me curious enough to go find reviews of the movie based on that version.  Finally, after some months, I bought it becuase I couldn't find it to rent anywhere.  I was not disappointed.  It's one of my favorite movies in my collection.

Or, in Ebay terms:  Highly Recommended, A+++++++   

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: