http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kindle Paperwhite Vs. Nexus 7 - Which is better for reading?  (Read 4254 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:03 AM »

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle since I have lots of time to read on my commute to and from work. However, at $139 I feel I should just go one step further and buy the $199 Nexus 7. I don't like the experience of reading on my phone, so that makes me shy away from the idea of reading on the tablet. I want as authentic a book reading experience as possible.

Is the Kindle app on the Nexus 7 as good as a real Kindle?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:10:52 AM »

As a pure and simple reading device, the Paperwhite is a better reading experience with the e-ink screen. If you want to consume more media (music and movies) other than books from the Amazon ecosystem, then the Kindle Fire HD. If you want a small tablet with the full Android experience, the Nexus 7 can't be beat.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

These are two different beasts.  The Nexus 7 will allow you to read AND do tons of other stuff.  If all you want to do is read and you want that experience to be as close to reading a book as possible, the Paperwhite can't be beat.  Its e-ink display is lightyears beyond any tablet in that regard.  It even has a textured screen feel that sort of mimics paper.  It's the bees knees when it comes to reading. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 21, 2012, 05:38:03 AM

I have lots of time to read

I don't like the experience of reading on my phone,

I want as authentic a book reading experience as possible.

The above definitely points to the Paperwhite.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »

Go to Best Buy and compare the two.

I just looked at a Kindle Paperwhite last night, as I'm upgrading my wife's first gen Kindle for her birthday, and it's fantastic.  Just know that you should adjust the backlight before deciding.  The store had it all the way up, and it was pretty harsh.  I brought it all the way down, and it looked like my old Kindle.  Then I slid it up about half way and it was perfect for reading in a slightly dark room.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »

As reading experiences go, I can't recommend the Kindle highly enough.  People can try to describe the value of an e-ink display, but ultimately it comes down to the fact that when I'm reading something worthwhile on my Kindle, I swiftly forget that I'm reading it on a Kindle at all.

Get a Nexus if want lots of excuses not to read.  Otherwise, get the Paperwhite!

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 27, 2012, 06:22:06 PM

As reading experiences go, I can't recommend the Kindle highly enough.  People can try to describe the value of an e-ink display, but ultimately it comes down to the fact that when I'm reading something worthwhile on my Kindle, I swiftly forget that I'm reading it on a Kindle at all.

Get a Nexus if want lots of excuses not to read.  Otherwise, get the Paperwhite!

-Autistic Angel

I decided on the Kindle Paperwhite and I'm extremely glad that I did. It's like you said, I soon forget I'm reading on a Kindle and not the actual book.

So excited!!

Sean Lama
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »

Glad to hear it.  I got my dad a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas even though he's a bit of a technophobe and I'm really hoping he comes to like it.  I certainly use my old Kindle all the time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:31 AM »

How is the resilience of the screen? Is it like my phones and tablets, or does this thing need a case? I want to keep it as light and thin as possible.

Sean Lama
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »

The only time I have ever put a case on my original Kindle is when I'm traveling and shove it in a suitcase.  Otherwise it is naked and gets abused fairly well but the screen is still as good as ever.  I'm not sure about the Paperwhite with the touchscreen.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: